• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Instant coffee blended in with my shakes ftw. Who needs pre workout?

2782853720_96a0468675.jpg

That's amazing.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I had allocated today 100g Doritos and salsa in my daily energy budget for the Doritos Pope conference. I haven't had crisps in months and had this idea in my mind for days, because I used to love crisps before I got serious about fitness, and thought I can afford to indulge a bit to celebrate the new Xbox.

It was one of the biggest disappointments ever. Right up there with Xbox One. 100g of Doritos with salsa dip disappears really fucking fast, leaving me feeling super hollow and 600kcal down. They have to be shitting me, for these couple of mouthfuls I could have had all the below:

- Total yogurt 170g - 17.5g protein - 97kcal
- 1 cup fresh strawberries - 49kcal
- British Chicken Tikka pieces 130g - 30g protein - 156kcal
- Two raw carrots - 80kcal
- Quest bar Cinnamon Roll - 20g protein - 160kcal

ihavemadeahugemistake.gif

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
A friend of mine are having a back and forth regarding weight training and ones' goals. The guy is constantly tell me he wish he had my delts and that he hopes to do pull ups with the ease I do them with. I've offered to help and he says what I do wouldn't work for him. Whatever but ok. So I told him I value strength more than anything. He comes back with strength, physique, and fitness are equally important. Well alright, but why can't you excel at all three. Why do people think lower weight and higher rep work will give them a more aesthetically pleasing body? I don't understand. It's almost like he's afraid to really push himself. Oh well...

Petrie

Banned
A friend of mine are having a back and forth regarding weight training and ones' goals. The guy is constantly tell me he wish he had my delts and that he hopes to do pull ups with the ease I do them with. I've offered to help and he says what I do wouldn't work for him. Whatever but ok. So I told him I value strength more than anything. He comes back with strength, physique, and fitness are equally important. Well alright, but why can't you excel at all three. Why do people think lower weight and higher rep work will givw them a more aesthetically pleasing body? I don't understand. It's almost like he's afraid to really push himself. Oh well...

Too lazy to really push and wants something to blame other than himself.

I had allocated today 100g Doritos and salsa in my daily energy budget for the Doritos Pope conference. I haven't had crisps in months and had this idea in my mind for days, because I used to love crisps before I got serious about fitness, and thought I can afford to indulge a bit to celebrate the new Xbox.

It was one of the biggest disappointments ever. Right up there with Xbox One. 100g of Doritos with salsa dip disappears really fucking fast, leaving me feeling super hollow and 600kcal down. They have to be shitting me, for these couple of mouthfuls I could have had all the below:

Wow, yea when you put it that way, ouch! Oh hindsight. Tomorrows another day man!

SeanR1221

Yup huge disappointment with the Xbox one. And I'm a big Xbox guy :/

I'm more into lifting than games anyway but it's still a bummer.

Sullen

I know my post(s) got bumped to last page and that cutting that low is kind of a difficult topic, but can anyone look at them and give me some ideas? Really desperate to keep cutting.

Questions , I haven't been in the thread too long. How much do you weigh/height?

2 months progress doing what?

Motivating pic btw!

I can give a bit of context.

First pic taken on March 29th. 239.5 lbs @ ~17% bf. I'm 6'2
Second pic taken on May 21. 230 lbs @ ~ 13% (I'm guessing. Could be higher)

Currently doing the 5/3/1 Periodization Bible.

Military Press (5/3/1)
• Shoulders or Chest – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
• Lats or Upper Back – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T-bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)
• Triceps – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Triceps Pushdowns or Triceps Extensions)

Deadlift (5/3/1)
• Hamstrings – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Leg Curls, Glute-Ham Raise)
• Quads – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Leg Press, Lunges, Hack Squats)
• Abs – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Sit-ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

Bench Press (5/3/1)
• Shoulders or Chest – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
• Lats or Upper Back – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T-bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)
• Triceps – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Triceps Pushdowns or Triceps Extensions)

Squat (5/3/1)
• Low Back – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Reverse Hyper, Back Raise, Good Morning)
• Quads – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Leg Press, Lunges, Hack Squats)
• Abs – 5 sets of 10-20 reps (Sit-ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

Pick just one accessory exercise for each body group and go from there.

As mentioned, I want to cut for another 7 weeks or so before taking a break and going with a slow bulk. At least, that is the plan now. I will reevaluate in the middle of July.

Raycacia

Neo Member
Has anyone here had any experience with fasted cardio? I have been about 1 to 2 percent body fat away from my ideal shape, and no matter what I do with my diet I haven't been able to shed the last bit off. I had heard good things about fasted cardio so I decided to give it a go.

I kept my diet the exact same, except instead of waking up, eating breakfast and then doing cardio an hour later - I woke up, did cardio, then ate breakfast an hour later. I have been doing this for 2 weeks, and I have gained 2 percent body fat, my metabolism feels all messed up, and I am currently constipated.

Am I doing something wrong? And how do I fix my situation? Also, anyone have any techniques for getting rid of that last but of body fat?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A friend of mine are having a back and forth regarding weight training and ones' goals. The guy is constantly tell me he wish he had my delts and that he hopes to do pull ups with the ease I do them with. I've offered to help and he says what I do wouldn't work for him. Whatever but ok. So I told him I value strength more than anything. He comes back with strength, physique, and fitness are equally important. Well alright, but why can't you excel at all three. Why do people think lower weight and higher rep work will give them a more aesthetically pleasing body? I don't understand. It's almost like he's afraid to really push himself. Oh well...

Should have placed your hand on his shoulder, looked him deep in the eye, and said "yeah, that's what I'd expect a pussy to say" and then walk away.

Has anyone here had any experience with fasted cardio? I have been about 1 to 2 percent body fat away from my ideal shape, and no matter what I do with my diet I haven't been able to shed the last bit off. I had heard good things about fasted cardio so I decided to give it a go.

I kept my diet the exact same, except instead of waking up, eating breakfast and then doing cardio an hour later - I woke up, did cardio, then ate breakfast an hour later. I have been doing this for 2 weeks, and I have gained 2 percent body fat, my metabolism feels all messed up, and I am currently constipated.

Am I doing something wrong? And how do I fix my situation? Also, anyone have any techniques for getting rid of that last but of body fat?

Beefaroni cardio all day erry day.

Cooter

Two failed 45lb muscle ups today. I got up to my rib cage on both but didn't have enough to transition to the dip. This is going to take some work...

abuC

Great work @Fallingedge! You gotta cut a promo when you reach your goal.

Two failed 45lb muscle ups today. I got up to my rib cage on both but didn't have enough to transition to the dip. This is going to take some work...

I have no doubt you'll be able to do it in a couple weeks.

matt360

Need some advice from you guys. 31 year old, 5'10", 245lb male here. I've been dieting/running for all of a week and a half (not long, I know) and haven't lost a pound. I know it's early in the game, but I'm getting pretty discouraged. Lemme share with you what I'm doing.

Limiting my daily caloric intake to around 1400-1600 calories per day. Very little sugar, lots of veggies and chicken/can tuna, little to no carbs at night. Drinking lots of water and some black coffee.

Doing workouts at home. I live in Japan and cannot join a gym because I have tattoos. So at home I've been doing 3 sets of 15-25 push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, squats, dips, planks, and 3 sets of 80 jumping jacks.

For cardio, I've been running at least 5km (or cycling 15km) 6 days a week. But again, only been on this for a week and a half.

Is it not strange that I haven't lost anything yet? This is a pretty huge change from my normal routine over the past year. I'm not new to dieting either, I lost over 100lbs back in 2006 over a 6 month period doing basically the same thing, and ran a full marathon in 2011. I got married last year and before I knew it, I had ballooned up from a healthy 185-ish to where I am now at 245.

Am I just being impatient? I do feel more energetic and lighter on my feet for sure, but is there anything you guys would recommend?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Need some advice from you guys. 31 year old, 5'10", 245lb male here. I've been dieting/running for all of a week and a half (not long, I know) and haven't lost a pound. I know it's early in the game, but I'm getting pretty discouraged. Lemme share with you what I'm doing.

Limiting my daily caloric intake to around 1400-1600 calories per day. Very little sugar, lots of veggies and chicken/can tuna, little to no carbs at night. Drinking lots of water and some black coffee.

Doing workouts at home. I live in Japan and cannot join a gym because I have tattoos. So at home I've been doing 3 sets of 15-25 push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, squats, dips, planks, and 3 sets of 80 jumping jacks.

For cardio, I've been running at least 5km (or cycling 15km) 6 days a week. But again, only been on this for a week and a half.

Is it not strange that I haven't lost anything yet? This is a pretty huge change from my normal routine over the past year. I'm not new to dieting either, I lost over 100lbs back in 2006 over a 6 month period doing basically the same thing, and ran a full marathon in 2011. I got married last year and before I knew it, I had ballooned up from a healthy 185-ish to where I am now at 245.

Am I just being impatient? I do feel more energetic and lighter on my feet for sure, but is there anything you guys would recommend?

Eat more, get under a barbell 3x a week. Read the OP, be patient and be consistent.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Hmm, can't join a gym. That sounds rough. I wouldn't expect changes yet. You need to stay the course, keep focus, and it WILL happen.

ezrarh

I think the suspenders make the strong man look. Fuck a vest.

I'll be home alone for like 5 hours on my wedding day. I might just go and do some bullshit bro stuff for a pump. Flys, curls and dips all day, baby!

I would recommend tighter fitting pants. Or maybe just cut them up to mid thigh and show off them quads.

moocow

So a little more than two weeks after my appendectomy and I think I will go for a light run tomorrow. I have a pullup and dip station in my home, but I am really fighting the urge to jump on it, haha. Depending on how my run goes I might try to start working out in two weeks or so.

SeanR1221

abuC

I love the pull over machine, only been using it maybe 2 weeks and I can already see the serratus developing nicely.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'm doing Wednesday of the OP's workout tomorrow and was curious if people could give pointers on overhead press and power cleans. I'm guessing the press in Starting Strength is the same as overhead press, am I assuming correctly? Also despite reading the chapter on power cleans a couple of times I'm still not sure how to perform them, do you guys have any tips / videos?
Yeah press = overhead press. If you're struggling with power cleans you could consider dropping them until you learn. Also, for that particular lift, Starting Strength isn't the best resource. Most Olympic coaches will have some strong disagreements with the form advocated in the book. Jim Wendler will say that that doesn't matter and you should just deadlift and jump with a weight you can get onto your shoulders: it's up to you to decide if that's a good idea or not. As a novice you will progress just fine without them anyway.

Front Barbell Squat:
195 lb x 5 reps (+99 pts)

I thought the 440x7 was crazy, then I saw the 5x10 RDL. This takes the cake though. How did your back feel by the fifth rep of the fifth set?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah press = overhead press. If you're struggling with power cleans you could consider dropping them until you learn. Also, for that particular lift, Starting Strength isn't the best resource. Most Olympic coaches will have some strong disagreements with the form advocated in the book. Jim Wendler will say that that doesn't matter and you should just deadlift and jump with a weight you can get onto your shoulders: it's up to you to decide if that's a good idea or not. As a novice you will progress just fine without them anyway.

I thought the 440x7 was crazy, then I saw the 5x10 RDL. This takes the cake though. How did your back feel by the fifth rep of the fifth set?

Like it was running on fumes.

Speaking of which, time to go to sleep. Have my son's surgery tomorrow. Hopefully the DOMS hold off for a day more before really kicking my ass.

They sound like you have heels on.

At least mine do.

Yeah sure do.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
what do you guys think?

Thinking of switching my routine, instead of flat bench. 2 incline and 2 decline. I'm still in SS

Personally if I was doing SS I wouldn't fuck with it. SS is supposed to be used to build a strength foundation. After you get what you can out of it, then I'd start doing what ever the fuck I wanna do and learning.

Having said that, I did "my own thing" for about a full year (maybe a little longer) before finally getting with a "tested" program.

Hope all goes well for Little Shogun.

Thanks man, it's cleft pallet surgery, thankfully his isn't that bad. So we will see how it goes.

With that, I'm out for the night, and probably a day or two unless I can use my phone in the hospital.

Cooter

what do you guys think?

Thinking of switching my routine, instead of flat bench. 2 incline and 2 decline. I'm still in SS
I honestly dont think it matters much but I prefer flat and incline rotating BB and DB every week. I will say that if you are a beginner and doing SS you should probably stick with it at least 6 months.

I honestly dont think it matters much but I prefer flat and incline rotating BB and DB every week. I will say that if you are a beginner and doing SS you should probably stick with it at least 6 months.

SS six months <whistle> I guess I have long way to go. I just started this month lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom