• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyaw

Got 155kg DL 1RM. 15kg PR I guess but it doesn't really mean anything considering it's based off my working sets and having never really tested a 1RM.

My calculated 1RM according to www.strstd.com is 164kg but I don't think I can reach that with acceptable form because I'm lifting my hips a bit early and making the initial lift off harder for myself. Need to work on that.

grumble

GMing? Thanks for the advice, I'll try to get a video of myself if the problems persist. In the meantime, I'll drop down to 275 today (as frustrating as that is).

Good Morning, where when you're in the hole you lift your butt up faster than your chest then you extend your hips to lift the weight. It's hard on your lower back, it's unsafe and you can't lift as much weight as you can with proper fom but it's very common. My fix is to constantly think 'chest up' and to squeeze the barbell.

Noema

Hey GAF, long time lurker here :p. Can you guys critique my squat form? Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq4aFWsNaMw

I'm 5'6", 145lb. I was doing 175lb in the video. At the last rep, my knees cave in a little bit. Does that mean I have weak adductors or something?

Thanks

It's normal for knees to cave in if you are a relative novice. With time they'll get stronger just like everything else. In the meantime you'll have to grit your teeth and consciously shove out your knees so that they don't cave in.

Otherwise your form looks good, with one caveat: stop.staring.at.the.mirror!!

;)

SeanR1221

Got 155kg DL 1RM. 15kg PR I guess but it doesn't really mean anything considering it's based off my working sets and having never really tested a 1RM.

My calculated 1RM according to www.strstd.com is 164kg but I don't think I can reach that with acceptable form because I'm lifting my hips a bit early and making the initial lift off harder for myself. Need to work on that.

Nice job!

So, I can only get to the gym today, and it will be my only day there for the week due to travelling; what would you try to do within say, an hour?

im trying to go for:
5 minutes rowing
front squat 4x5
dl 2x5
bench 3x6-8
weighted pullups/dips 3x failure

Noema

Today's session didn't go well.

I was doing my last "3s" set on Deadlfts before my AMRAP set. On the 3rd rep with 380lb I felt a twitch in my right spinal erector.

I didn't like how that felt. After taking my belt off I felt like my erectors essentially shut down. Like someone had punched me in the stomach. Nothing too bad, but I decided to call it a day. The AMRAP set was 425lb for 3+ but I didn't go for it. Racked the weights and headed for the showers.

Hopefully it's nothing. Hurting my back would be the fucking worst. I'd hate having to be sidelined for a couple of weeks while my strength dwindles away.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Today's session didn't go well.

I was doing my last "3s" set on Deadlfts before my AMRAP set. On the 3rd rep with 380lb I felt a twitch in my right spinal erector.

I didn't like how that felt. After taking my belt off I felt like my erectors essentially shut down. Like someone had punched me in the stomach. Nothing too bad, but I decided to call it a day. The AMRAP set was 425lb for 3+ but I didn't go for it. Racked the weights and headed for the showers.

Hopefully it's nothing. Hurting my back would be the fucking worst.

Yikes. Take it easy, let's hope alls well and it was just a momentary thing.

So, I can only get to the gym today, and it will be my only day there for the week due to travelling; what would you try to do within say, an hour?

im trying to go for:
5 minutes rowing
front squat 4x5
dl 2x5
bench 3x6-8
weighted pullups/dips 3x failure

add another deadlift set!

Noema

Yikes. Take it easy, let's hope alls well and it was just a momentary thing

Yeah. I hate hate cutting sessions short. But I'm sure I made the right call

Hopefully it's just an strained erector. If I'm standing up my back feels fine and I can't get it to hurt no matter my posture. Presumably because my hamstrings are bearing the load of extending my hips.

But if I sit, that's when I feel the soreness, because then my erectors have to do all the work of keeping my back straight.

hxa155

It's normal for knees to cave in if you are a relative novice. With time they'll get stronger just like everything else. In the meantime you'll have to grit your teeth and consciously shove out your knees so that they don't cave in.

Otherwise your form looks good, with one caveat: stop.staring.at.the.mirror!!

;)

haha, why not ;P I was just checking my form
and I just had a haircut that day so I looked good.
Thanks

abuC

My 1 day of rest from the gym, and by rest I mean I'm going to do pushups and pullups later. Plus it's treat myself to a burger day, I can see my abs again which is cause for celebration.

Cudder

ill just leave these here.

Gym-leg-extension-machine-fail.gif

kettlebell_fail.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-12562-1366059733-21.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27750-1366052862-28.gif

deadlift-fail-o.gif

tumblr_mitjbxIBL81qdlh1io1_400.gif

xULbV.gif

ZeroRay

Is it wise to do two days of SS in a row?

I may be taking my car to the shop tomorrow so I'm wondering if I should just lift today.

Edit: Fuck it, lower back feeling tight. If anything I'll just take the bus tomorrow.

What movements should I include in my routine if I'm looking to "fill in" the hollow between pec and delt?

My assumption is that I just need bigger pecs and delts. Any thoughts?

I may be taking my car to the shop tomorrow so I'm wondering if I should just lift today.

Edit: Fuck it, lower back feeling tight. If anything I'll just take the bus tomorrow.

Oh heavens no. recovery time is as important as lifting days. It would be better to just take 2 rest days in a row than to lift back to back.

andycapps

No, I wouldn't do SS two days in a row. You will not be happy with your lifts today if you do it.

Squats are my enemy. My hips are not flexible and my femurs are long as hell. Getting to parallel hurts like a bitch. I can't do low-bar yet because it feels like my shoulders are going to rip out of the sockets if I try and hold the bar where it belongs. Still going up in weight but my form is atrocious even with just the bar. I do body weight squats during the day to try and help as well as the squat "push on inside of knees" stretch. I have to keep 5lb plates under my heels to keep from gm'ing the weight. It sucks.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So I am now hitting Novice in strstd.com in Bench and Deadlift but my squat isn't even halfway to Novice yet. I'm doing SS. I wonder what's the best course of action? Add an extra Squat only day to Saturday? Do some other leg stuff on Saturday? Add assisting work to SS days? Not worry about it?

I'm 6'3 tall and my leg length is not advantageous.

SeanR1221

So I am now hitting Novice in strstd.com in Bench and Deadlift but my squat isn't even halfway to Novice yet. I'm doing SS. I wonder what's the best course of action? Add an extra Squat only day to Saturday? Do some other leg stuff on Saturday? Add assisting work to SS days? Not worry about it?

I wouldn't sweat the titles too much. I would just keep pushing forward on SS and stick to the program :)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Don't sweat it. Once you get rolling you can easily add 100lbs to your squat in a couple months. It seems at some point your form just clicks and it gets easier. Keep pushing!

abuC

Like Cooter and Sean said, don't worry about it too much as long as you're making progress on the lift in general.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Son is in a room with my wife. I came home to get some sleep and recover since my back is pretty messed up from yesterday's session. He's eating and stuff so everything is on track to get him home tomorrow.

So glad this shit is done, now for the recovery.

Thanks for all the support gents.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Son is in a room with my wife. I came home to get some sleep and recover since my back is pretty messed up from yesterday's session. He's eating and stuff so everything is on track to get him home tomorrow.

I told you it'd go well! Good things. :)

abuC

Good to hear man, hope he has a quick recovery.

I can't do low-bar yet because it feels like my shoulders are going to rip out of the sockets if I try and hold the bar where it belongs.

I know this feel, caused me to put off doing low bar squats for a fair while. I think shoulder dislocations helped me a bit. I found a little bar in the gym and first grabbed it right at the edges before being able to move my grip in a few inches and still get it up behind my head and down my back with straight arms. Can also use a towel, PVC pipe etc.

Now when I go to squat and place the empty bar on for a low bar squat it still hurts a bit but not as much as before and after a few sets holding it down there it goes away. I could probably do some prehab work so I'm not so damn tight to begin with but I'm very lazy.

Your squat depth situation sounds a bit worse than mine to begin with but you'll be surprised how your flexibility may improve slowly from just doing squats. When I started I could only squat to a little below parallel. One day I was squatting, went down and just kept going lol. It felt natural and without pain but it surprised the fuck out of me. Now I can squat ass to grass.(except my abductors are tight as fuck making it hard sometimes without a long recovery)

Anyways that's my anecdotal evidence that things may improve so don't be too discouraged. Even though I did jack shit I recommend perhaps doing some prehab work and stretching or whatnot to maybe expedite the whole process. I'm sure someone else knows what's up in that department.

holy shit that was a hard fall. the way his legs seize up after going face first is freaking me out. hopefully his neck is alright.

glad things are well shogun

IIRC he ended up fine, just needed some stitches.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So glad every thing went well Shogun!

Was able to get 335 up 5 times on my squats after a week off from tweaking my knee. Ain't no holding me down!

mooooose

Since doing the second part of SS and eating a shit ton as opposed to trying to progress on keto, I feel like I'm on steroids. I have just been destroying the gym.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Squats are my enemy. My hips are not flexible and my femurs are long as hell. Getting to parallel hurts like a bitch. I can't do low-bar yet because it feels like my shoulders are going to rip out of the sockets if I try and hold the bar where it belongs. Still going up in weight but my form is atrocious even with just the bar. I do body weight squats during the day to try and help as well as the squat "push on inside of knees" stretch. I have to keep 5lb plates under my heels to keep from gm'ing the weight. It sucks.

For the grip, as well as what roosters said about shoulder dislocations, try using a thumbless grip if you're not already.

despire

Greyskull Method for Powerbuilding is up for pre-order. I think the release date is next wednesday but apparently those who pre-order get it in advance since it says "delivered before 5/29". Price is 30$.

http://strengthvillain.myshopify.co...oducts/the-greyskull-method-for-powerbuilding

Anyway I'm probably buying it since I'm interested in what the book says. JP says it's for those who've "graduated from GSLP" so It's not for me yet but after GSLP perhaps. JP says it's his biggest book after GSLP 2nd Ed so hopefully there's lots of material there.

And to those who are wondering what "powerbuilding" is, it's derived from Power Lifting + Bodybuilding, so strength and hypertrophy.

Edit:
Fucking lol at one of the men's t-shirts they are selling:
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/men/products/greyskull-athletics

abuC

Is it wrong that there's this cute woman that works at GNC that I go to, but I'm only thinking of talking to her because I want a discount. She flirts with me whenever I'm there, but I'm not interested in having any relationships, except for those that include me paying less for protein and quest bars.

ZeroRay

Good news Shogun.

After analyzing my eating habits, I gotta incorporate a bit more protein into it. Too lazy to cook up meat (actually cook, not just put it on my buddy, George) but it's either that or go broke.

abuC

Good news Shogun.

After analyzing my eating habits, I gotta incorporate a bit more protein into it. Too lazy to cook up meat (and not just put it on my buddy, George) but it's either that or go broke.

Natural peanut butter & canned tuna are good substitutes.

ZeroRay

Natural peanut butter & canned tuna are good substitutes.

Yep. Already eating the peanut butter straight from the jar. Need to learn how to make tuna cakes from my mom because I really can't stand the taste of plain tuna (or most fish in general).

abuC

Yep. Already eating the peanut butter straight from the jar. Need to learn how to make tuna cakes from my mom because I really can't stand the taste of plain tuna (or most fish in general).

I hate most fish as well, Tuna salad (Mayo, Onions, relish) on an everything bagel is pretty good though, that's the only fish I will eat.

ToxicAdam

I like hand sandwiches. 1/3 lb of deli meat (usually turkey), wrapped in a slice of cheese, with a squirt of a condiment in the middle. Quick and easy. 30-35 grams of protein.

daemissary

Is it wrong that there's this cute woman that works at GNC that I go to, but I'm only thinking of talking to her because I want a discount. She flirts with me whenever I'm there, but I'm not interested in having any relationships, except for those that include me paying less for protein and quest bars.

Yes, it is wrong.

ACE 1991

Welp, I can't fit into any of my skinny jeans anymore as a result of squatting 3 days a week since late December. Out with the skinny hipster, in the with da gainz

Wth is that in Q's hands?

Since doing the second part of SS and eating a shit ton as opposed to trying to progress on keto, I feel like I'm on steroids. I have just been destroying the gym.

Second part as in advanced novice SS?

For the grip, as well as what roosters said about shoulder dislocations, try using a thumbless grip if you're not already.

I actually find a thumbless grip harder to get into position. :/
So goddamn inflexible.

Edit:
Fucking lol at one of the men's t-shirts they are selling:
http://strengthvillain.myshopify.com/collections/men/products/greyskull-athletics

Totally a missed opportunity with these shirts and the name.

Welp, I can't fit into any of my skinny jeans anymore as a result of squatting 3 days a week since late December. Out with the skinny hipster, in the with da gainz

Yeah my looser jeans are now my tight pair. I need to buy some new clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom