• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
SS six months <whistle> I guess I have long way to go. I just started this month lol
It's up to you but we're all in this to maximize our results with the limited time we spend at the gym. Being that you are not even a month in I would stick with a proven program and really focus on mastering the major lifts. Once you feel comfortable and at a point where you can offer advice to others do whatever you want my man because you earned it!

despire

Need some advice from you guys. 31 year old, 5'10", 245lb male here. I've been dieting/running for all of a week and a half (not long, I know) and haven't lost a pound. I know it's early in the game, but I'm getting pretty discouraged. Lemme share with you what I'm doing.

Limiting my daily caloric intake to around 1400-1600 calories per day. Very little sugar, lots of veggies and chicken/can tuna, little to no carbs at night. Drinking lots of water and some black coffee.

Doing workouts at home. I live in Japan and cannot join a gym because I have tattoos. So at home I've been doing 3 sets of 15-25 push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, squats, dips, planks, and 3 sets of 80 jumping jacks.

For cardio, I've been running at least 5km (or cycling 15km) 6 days a week. But again, only been on this for a week and a half.

Is it not strange that I haven't lost anything yet? This is a pretty huge change from my normal routine over the past year. I'm not new to dieting either, I lost over 100lbs back in 2006 over a 6 month period doing basically the same thing, and ran a full marathon in 2011. I got married last year and before I knew it, I had ballooned up from a healthy 185-ish to where I am now at 245.

Am I just being impatient? I do feel more energetic and lighter on my feet for sure, but is there anything you guys would recommend?

1) You can't wear pants and long sleeved shirts to the gym? Or do you have tattoos in your face and palms as well? Cover that shit up if it gets you to the gym.

2) You don't need cardio for fat loss. You are eating very little relative to how much cardio you are doing at the moment. Too much cardio combined with low calories will only burn you out. Might want to decrease the amount of cardio. Weight training would be better though.

3) You want to actually eat your carbs at night instead of earlier in the day. Better for fat loss that way. And how much carbs are we talking about anyway?

Mully

I'm getting into the habit of replacing most assistance exercises with chins, pull-ups, and dips. I'm gravitated towards them because of the progress I've had in each of them since I forced myself to do them just a few months back.

matt360

1) You can't wear pants and long sleeved shirts to the gym? Or do you have tattoos in your face and palms as well? Cover that shit up if it gets you to the gym.

2) You don't need cardio for fat loss. You are eating very little relative to how much cardio you are doing at the moment. Too much cardio combined with low calories will only burn you out. Might want to decrease the amount of cardio. Weight training would be better though.

3) You want to actually eat your carbs at night instead of earlier in the day. Better for fat loss that way. And how much carbs are we talking about anyway?

I suppose it would be possible to wear a long-sleeve shirt and hide my tattoos, but I wouldn't be able to use the pool, take showers, or change. They are extremely strict and I'd get the boot as soon as they found out.

For carbs I'm talking maybe 100g of pasta for lunch, or maybe 2 slices of bread if I have a sandwich. Not much else.

Thanks for all of your replies though. I just remember last time I dieted, the weight just seemed to melt off right away. I've got quite a bit of weight to lose now, so I figured the first several pounds would drop off fairly quickly. Another factor is perhaps my age. I'm 31 now, but I was 26 at the time when I lost over 100lbs. I'm also taking regular shits if that matters. I'm not constipated or anything.

Cooter

I'm getting into the habit of replacing most assistance exercises with chins, pull-ups, and dips. I'm gravitated towards them because of the progress I've had in each of them since I forced myself to do them just a few months back.
Smart man. Cheers to future strength gains!

despire

I suppose it would be possible to wear a long-sleeve shirt and hide my tattoos, but I wouldn't be able to use the pool, take showers, or change. They are extremely strict and I'd get the boot as soon as they found out.

For carbs I'm talking maybe 100g of pasta for lunch, or maybe 2 slices of bread if I have a sandwich. Not much else.

Thanks for all of your replies though. I just remember last time I dieted, the weight just seemed to melt off right away. I've got quite a bit of weight to lose now, so I figured the first several pounds would drop off fairly quickly. Another factor is perhaps my age. I'm 31 now, but I was 26 at the time when I lost over 100lbs. I'm also taking regular shits if that matters. I'm not constipated or anything.

I'd suggest trying to eat those carbs after 6PM or so. The later the better. Also going lower carb is a good option.

Darren870

Doing workouts at home. I live in Japan and cannot join a gym because I have tattoos. So at home I've been doing 3 sets of 15-25 push-ups, sit-ups, lunges, squats, dips, planks, and 3 sets of 80 jumping jacks.

Why can't you join a gym? Is this some rule? I don't remember this when I was in Japan but I also don't have tattoos. Unless its on your neck/face why can't you just wear track suits and hoodies?

Anyways its going to take some time. Don't expect to lose a pound in a week or so. Heck, I've been dieting and watching my intake and I can't even lose half a kg. Even when I was sick I only lost .3 kg. I can see my body has changed so don't believe the scale.

----

I have a form check video to post of my deadlift. Will try to get it up today or tomorrow.

despire

Why can't you join a gym? Is this some rule? I don't remember this when I was in Japan but I also don't have tattoos.

Same reason why he can't go in to a public swimming pool or hot springs.

In Japan, tattoos = yakuza (the mafia). I guess they've decided to take preliminary action and banned everyone with tattoos.

SeanR1221

Hm, my local fitness place can order this for me...

http://www.fitnessexchange.com/tds-push-pull-sled-c1175-p-2343.html

KJAFSpushpullsled.jpg

They also have this

http://www.fitnessexchange.com/tds-titan-push-pull-sled-c1180-p-2345.html

jqdpp0kC1180.jpg

But it's a lot more expensive

Szu

I know there are certain ways that this is intended to be used. For some reason, I imagine an really hardcore workout that involves someone standing on one end with a whip yelling "Mush!" while I run in the around the gym dragging the damn thing.

For the extreme version, attach the clip ends to your balls.

Kyaw

Me and my gym buddies are gonna try to get our calculated 1RM DL today.

I'm gonna try and get 155kg (2xbw). My last working set is 5x140kg. Never tried this before, should be fun.

SeanR1221

I know there are certain ways that this is intended to be used. For some reason, I imagine an really hardcore workout that involves someone standing on one end with a whip yelling "Mush!" while I run in the around the gym dragging the damn thing.

For the extreme version, attach the clip ends to your balls.

I like the balls idea.

Is that the store that is over by Ikea? I had some bad experiences with them.

Really? What happened? The owner is such a nice guy.

And I didn't know you were so close. I live right near there.

Where do you put the cables?

You buy a belt or vest to attach it to.

Pull-ups:

Crossed legs - seems easier as I can activate a good portion of the core to push myself up with the upper muscles doing the pulling.

usmc_marine_corps_pull_up1.jpg

Hanging legs - OMGWTF! >.<

Hanging_Leg_Raise.png

bro1

Banned
I like the balls idea.

Really? What happened? The owner is such a nice guy.

And I didn't know you were so close. I live right near there.

You buy a belt or vest to attach it to.

This is a few years ago. I bought a body solid bench from them and there were issues with the delivery time frame. Also was supposed to include an Olympic bar but did not. Hopefully things change!

I used to live in the Philadelphia area (grew up in Lower Merion and lived in Phoenixville as an adult) but moved to Charleston a few years ago. We are planning on moving back hopefully next year as I really miss the area. Are you in Conshy?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hot damn, PB&J Quest bars are godlike, definitely my favourite so far. Figures since they are 210kcal while others are just 160kcal.

Szu

Pull-ups:

Crossed legs - seems easier as I can activate a good portion of the core to push myself up with the upper muscles doing the pulling.

usmc_marine_corps_pull_up1.jpg

Hanging legs - OMGWTF! >.<

Hanging_Leg_Raise.png

The first picture is a chin-up.

This is a pull-up.
tumblr_miuuatZhAU1qe2gf3o1_500.jpg

As for hanging legs pull-ups, it's actually not as difficult as it seems. Get used to regular pull-ups first and then you can graduate to the hanging leg version.

SeanR1221

This is a few years ago. I bought a body solid bench from them and there were issues with the delivery time frame. Also was supposed to include an Olympic bar but did not. Hopefully things change!

I used to live in the Philadelphia area (grew up in Lower Merion and lived in Phoenixville as an adult) but moved to Charleston a few years ago. We are planning on moving back hopefully next year as I really miss the area. Are you in Conshy?

East Norriton. First ever Fitgaf meetup next year?

---

Tested my 1rm on deads today. Got to 375 and taped it. Upper back had some rounding in it so I decided to stop there. The weight went up and I locked out, but it's not worth risking an injury if my form is deteriorating. Checked my ego at the door and stopped. I'll be back in 6 months to crush it on 5/3/1 :)

bro1

Banned
The first picture is a chin-up.

This is a pull-up.
tumblr_miuuatZhAU1qe2gf3o1_500.jpg

As for hanging legs pull-ups, it's actually not as difficult as it seems. Get used to regular pull-ups first and then you can graduate to the hanging leg version.

I do mine with a parallel grip. What do you call those?

Sean- yes, next year and we can make it a lift off!

moocow

Running went by very smoothly today. Did 2+ miles without any issue. I will be running everyday now because it feels so much better to be moving than it does to sit on my ass.

Ekdrm2d1

Any word on being sick and doing your typical exercise routine?
Went out of town with sick children this weekend. Now I'm sick :(

I heard it's OK to exercise a little, to get your heart rate up and to break a sweat but shouldn't push it hard. Body needs to relax and to heal.

Advice? Thanks

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Son just went back for surgery (his 4th one) and I still cry like a bitch. Shits rough man.

East Norriton. First ever Fitgaf meetup next year?

---

Tested my 1rm on deads today. Got to 375 and taped it. Upper back had some rounding in it so I decided to stop there. The weight went up and I locked out, but it's not worth risking an injury if my form is deteriorating. Checked my ego at the door and stopped. I'll be back in 6 months to crush it on 5/3/1 :)

Upper back rounding is fine. It's the lower back you need to worry about.

Damn fine work btw.
I do mine with a parallel grip. What do you call those?

Sean- yes, next year and we can make it a lift off!

Neutral grip.

SeanR1221

Son just went back for surgery (his 4th one) and I still cry like a bitch. Shits rough man.

Upper back rounding is fine. It's the lower back you need to worry about.

Damn fine work btw.

Neutral grip.

Man I couldn't imagine I'd probably be a mess myself. Hope he's ok, you said it was a routine surgery, right? Keep us updated.

Here is my video. I know you always say put up or shut up, so here it is, back rounding and all :p

http://youtu.be/KU0T6SkdMI4

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Man I couldn't imagine I'd probably be a mess myself. Hope he's ok, you said it was a routine surgery, right? Keep us updated.

Here is my video. I know you always say put up or shut up, so here it is, back rounding and all :p

http://youtu.be/KU0T6SkdMI4

Hitching aside it looked fine for a 1rm.

Yeah, it's cleft palate surgery. He has the least severe form of it. Recovery will still be a bitch though.
Hope he gets better!

Thanks

Cagey

Banned
So the 5/3/1 rest/deload week. What's the purpose of doing the standard big lift but with severely dropped weights, rather than, say, resting entirely? Or lifting at a more moderate intensity (but well below the normal working sets in weeks 1-3)?

I understand -- and physically, feel -- the need for the fourth week to be a break from lifting heavy. Not questioning whether someone needs to rest at all. But I have to wonder what I am achieving in performing a bench press in a pyramid manner... with the topout being 5 reps at like 55% of my training max.

So the 5/3/1 rest/deload week. What's the purpose of doing the standard big lift but with severely dropped weights, rather than, say, resting entirely?

I understand -- and physically, feel -- the need for the fourth week to be a break from lifting heavy. Not questioning whether someone needs to rest at all. But I have to wonder what I am achieving in performing a bench press in a pyramid manner... with the topout being 5 reps at like 55% of my training max.

For me, it is a way to be in the gym and still be active. Workouts are a lot faster and I can try doing different exercises or movements.

bro1

Banned
So the 5/3/1 rest/deload week. What's the purpose of doing the standard big lift but with severely dropped weights, rather than, say, resting entirely? Or lifting at a more moderate intensity (but well below the normal working sets in weeks 1-3)?

Gives you a chance to work on your form, mind muscle connection maybe?

I personally haven't gotten much out of SS or 5/3/1. I have gotten much better results by following a 3 day split along with lots of cardio.

grumble

My understanding of 5/3/1 was that you did AMRAP for the last set (so 5+, 3+, 1+). Am I off base?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Goes without saying from pretty much all of us, hope he gets better.

Best wishes, my man.

Thanks guys

It's to keep your muscles stimulated.

For me, it is a way to be in the gym and still be active. Workouts are a lot faster and I can try doing different exercises or movements.

Pretty much.

My understanding of 5/3/1 was that you did AMRAP for the last set (so 5+, 3+, 1+). Am I off base?

Yes, but for the deload week it's just the prescribed reps.

Nope. It is just 5/5/5.

To be more clear. This is just for the deload week or on 5s week if that's your template.

Cooter

Hang in there Shogun. That's so hard. I worry when one of my kids get a fever. I can't even imagine. Good luck. :)

I've been doing SS for awhile, and I can't seem to keep my knees from coming in now that I'm lifting ~285. Can anyone post a good form video? It doesn't need to be about form necessarily, but I'd like one where I can clearly see the knee width.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Sho, hope things are going well. No worries, things will pan out to be just fine.

EDIT: how the fuck do I always manage new page, let's get some muscles.

xBflC0R.jpg

I've been doing SS for awhile, and I can't seem to keep my knees from coming in now that I'm lifting ~285. Can anyone post a good form video? It doesn't need to be about form necessarily, but I'd like one where I can clearly see the knee width.

For a new page. I reckon no one saw this.

ToxicAdam

Saw a new one the other night: Seated dumbbell curls on the benchpress.

I wouldn't have cared, but the guy was using the last benchpress stand left. I guess that's what I get for doing my chest work on a Monday.

grumble

For a new page. I reckon no one saw this.

What do you mean you can't keep them from coming in? If it's a form issue, the cue commonly used is 'shove your knees out' while you perform the lift. It's a conscious effort, as the knees will tend to come in unless pushed out. At near-maximal weights and reps, it's not unusual to see form break down slightly, but if you're getting significant form breakdown then it may require a reset. Have you read the SS book chapter on the squat? In contains a lot of elaboration on the squat.

What I recommend if you're getting significant form issues relating to this movement that you can't seem to fix is to video yourself doing your workout and post it to the SS Q&A; Rippetoe can see it and comment on flaws and fixes.

I had major issues around 285 on GMing the squat, which was a total pain to fix (and still happens if I'm not careful). I've been there!

Detox

Yeah press = overhead press. If you're struggling with power cleans you could consider dropping them until you learn. Also, for that particular lift, Starting Strength isn't the best resource. Most Olympic coaches will have some strong disagreements with the form advocated in the book. Jim Wendler will say that that doesn't matter and you should just deadlift and jump with a weight you can get onto your shoulders: it's up to you to decide if that's a good idea or not. As a novice you will progress just fine without them anyway.

Thanks. I struggled with power cleans today, did 25kg while I can squat around 50kg. I just can't find the 'explosion' to lift up to my shoulders without using my arms. My friend was doing it with 40kg and he seemed to hit it up with his hips while I just couldn't find that energy in me to do higher weights.

What do you mean you can't keep them from coming in? If it's a form issue, the cue commonly used is 'shove your knees out' while you perform the lift. It's a conscious effort, as the knees will tend to come in unless pushed out. At near-maximal weights and reps, it's not unusual to see form break down slightly, but if you're getting significant form breakdown then it may require a reset. Have you read the SS book chapter on the squat? In contains a lot of elaboration on the squat.

What I recommend if you're getting significant form issues relating to this movement that you can't seem to fix is to video yourself doing your workout and post it to the SS Q&A; Rippetoe can see it and comment on flaws and fixes.

I had major issues around 285 on GMing the squat, which was a total pain to fix (and still happens if I'm not careful). I've been there!

GMing? Thanks for the advice, I'll try to get a video of myself if the problems persist. In the meantime, I'll drop down to 275 today (as frustrating as that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom