• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

Has anyone else gotten a sharp pain in the very center of their chest when doing Dips? I've gotten this for a while now and just recently decided to eliminate Dips from my routine even though I love Dips. Just curious what the case might be with this pain.

And for reference, this pain is ONLY felt when doing Dips.

I do sometimes. Feels like my ribcage is going to split open. Maybe try not leaning forward as much. I do dips as a tricep exercise only and I still get it sometimes.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I do sometimes. Feels like my ribcage is going to split open. Maybe try not leaning forward as much. I do dips as a tricep exercise only and I still get it sometimes.

Yeah, it's at the very center, only felt when doing Dips, and I don't even think it's the muscle, but the bone cavity in there (or the ribcage as you said). So fucked up since I love Dips so much, but I have to protect myself, too.

Edit: Would you say CG Bench Press is a good alternative to use for a while? I'm looking for something other than regular flat BP and Dips to hit the chest, tris, and shoulders.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah, it's at the very center, only felt when doing Dips, and I don't even think it's the muscle, but the bone cavity in there (or the ribcage as you said). So fucked up since I love Dips so much, but I have to protect myself, too.

Edit: Would you say CG Bench Press is a good alternative to use for a while? I'm looking for something other than regular flat BP and Dips to hit the chest, tris, and shoulders.

CGBP is great for what you're looking for, as are lying tricep extensions (for Triceps, no chest involvement).

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

Never gotten any pain and I go pretty heavy. Hmm.... CGBP is awesome! I only do those two and occasionally lying tricep extensions ending with cable palm up pull downs.

abuC

I said I was going to take pics of the 3rd floor at my gym and here they are. This gym is great, only complaint is no chalk, outside of that it's only $14.99 a month and has 3 floors with tons and tons of machines and weights.

IMAG0071_zps77496784.jpg

IMAG0072_zps85893f91.jpg

There's another rack right next to this, and another on the first floor -
IMAG0070_zps39d5f3e1.jpg

IMAG0065_zps791b6f13.jpg

No chalk = Fucked up hands

IMAG0059_BURST002_COVER_zpsf2fb11d5.jpg

Callous forming on my thumb from all the dumbbell presses
IMAG0062_zps50ff223b.jpg

In addition to potentially getting free or discounted protein and quest bars, my barber goes to my gym and he's been asking me for advice, I may be able to get free haircuts to help him out.

Noema

I said I was going to take pics of the 3rd floor at my gym and here they are. This gym is great, only complaint is no chalk, outside of that it's only $14.99 a month and has 3 floors with tons and tons of machines and weights.

In addition to potentially getting free or discounted protein and quest bars, my barber goes to my gym and he's been asking me for advice, I may be able to get free haircuts to help him out.

Looks like it has all you need. $15 a month sound fucking awesome. You are in NYC?

Here in Mexico gyms are absurdly expensive and I don't know why. Fancy Globo Gyms go for over US$100/mo, and that doesn't include the annual enrollment fee (which can go for over US$500). Mom-and-pop gyms do exist but they aren't that cheap either. Usually $40/mo or more, and there's always an enrollment fee AND also a cancellation fee (they know that most people just show up for a couple of weeks to never return).

There's a new chain of gyms that opened recently and they are more reasonably priced at about $30/mo. But that doesn't include the enrollment fee ($60 extra). They just opened one a few blocks from my house though http://www.smartfit.com.mx/ and I need a place to train since the University gym I train at will be closed for 3 weeks in July. But I don't know if they even have a squat rack.

despire

I have the same problem. Ever since last fall. Still can't do dips because it starts to seriously hurt. I even get problems with it while watching TV because of the position I'm in. Fucking annoying.

I believe it's:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costochondritis

Looks like it has all you need. $15 a month sound fucking awesome. You are in NYC?

Here in Mexico gyms are absurdly expensive and I don't know why. Fancy Globo Gyms go for over US$100/mo, and that doesn't include the annual enrollment fee (which can go for over US$500). Mom-and-pop gyms do exist but they aren't that cheap either. Usually $40/mo or more, and there's always an enrollment fee AND also a cancellation fee (they know that most people just show up for a couple of weeks to never return).

There's a new chain of gyms that opened recently and they are more reasonably priced at about $30/mo. But that doesn't include the enrollment fee ($60 extra). They just opened one a few blocks from my house though http://www.smartfit.com.mx/ and I need a place to train since the University gym I train at will be closed for 3 weeks in July. But I don't know if they even have a squat rack.

I pay 15 dollaroos a week here in Australia so count yourself lucky!

abuC

Right outside of NYC, I'm saving so much money with this place.

I was going to one of those globo type gyms before, New York Sports Club, they charged me $128 once because I went to one of their clubs that wasn't my home gym during peak hours. I hate that place, the only positive is they had basketball courts, outside of that the new gym has 200lbs dumbbells, the old place only had 120# at their chains.

You live in Mexico? Which gym do you go to, or you have a home gym. From now on I'm just going to picture you out in the desert squatting and deadlifting sandstone bolders.

I-hate-u

Hey yall, I have been wanting to change my workout routine for quite some time now and want to ask what you think of this regime. Keep in mind that I am in high protien/veggie diet with some carbs and little fat

Monday(Chest/Triceps):
-Bench press, incline bench press, close grib bench press, skull crushers, dips.

Tuesday(Back):
-Bent over two-arm long bar row, Bent-over rows, lat pulldowns, rack pulls

Wednesday(Shoulder/Deadlifts)
- Lateral raise, military press, reverse fly on incline bench, deadlifts.

Thursday(Legs/pull-ups)
-Squats, leg extensions, hamstring curls, pull-ups

Friday(Biceps/abs):
-Barbell curls, hammer curls, concentration curls, forearms, chin-ups/abs super set

Am I over-training if I follow this routine?

sphinx

the piano man
So much going on lately.. I'm in spain for a series of concerts and will stay 2 weeks here. I'm trying to go to whatever gyms are around me but getting used to new equipment sucks and stress, bad food and bad sleep are proving to be discouraging. My goal to beat my PRs will likely stay on hold until I am back home..my squat yesterday sucked ass...I guess I should focus on work and music and put training a bit to the side.

Probably for the better that we got moved to OTC by the way.

See you guys in a week or two.

And now my real challenge begins....maintaining my workout routine now that Summer break has started. I used to go directly after work so it was easy to do it. Should be no problem as long as I don't pick up WoW again.
I picked up WoW again.

Szu

Someone tell me.

Well, this Fitness thread used to be part of the Off-Topic Discussion section. We've been moved to a sub-forum called Off-Topic Community.

Basically, we've been cut off from the general population and moved into solitary confinement.

I understand why, but I don't think FitGAF will be able to do as much good for the NeoGAF community from the...community section. The OP is a public service announcement that needs to be seen. I'm sure F1 and WrassleGAF feel the same about their respective communities, but this thread is saving lives.

ToxicAdam

I understand why, but I don't think FitGAF will be able to do as much good for the NeoGAF community from the...community section. The OP is a public service announcement that needs to be seen. I'm sure F1 and WrassleGAF feel the same about their respective communities, but this thread is saving lives.

EL would rather someone make a new thread asking a question about working out then post something in here. So then someone can direct the person to the community thread in there.

SeanR1221

I can get behind this. Whereas people would come here, now we'll get threads saying

"Gaf how do I get toned!?"

"Gaf I wanna workout but don't know what to do?"

"Gaf I don't wanna get too big"

Finally deadlifted 225 for 1 rep max today gentlemen, I feel like a tiny beast!

Honestly if I can jump back in time and tell my idiot former self to do more compound movements instead of crappy isolations, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

No more assisted pull-ups either, it's either negatives or put forth the effort into bumping that number from 3 full-range to 5 by next month.

Edit: Holy crap @ Alienshogun's vids...that's monster mode man.

SeanR1221

Finally deadlifted 225 for 1 rep max today gentlemen, I feel like a tiny beast!

Honestly if I can jump back in time and tell my idiot former self to do more compound movements instead of crappy isolations, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

No more assisted pull-ups either, it's either negatives or put forth the effort into bumping that number from 3 full-range to 5 by next month.

Edit: Holy crap @ Alienshogun's vids...that's monster mode man.

We'll all be there someday. And by that point Alien will be writing for EliteFTS and hooking Fitgaf up with free swag.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry about being shuttled to Community - just remember when you see a dumbshit thread, guide people by the light of FitGAF and lead them here.

Petrie

Banned
Starting to add more running to my routine so I'll be prepared for a couple 5Ks my girl signed us up for this Summer. Really hoping it doesn't negatively impact my gains/lifts, but whatever. Have to keep enjoying life.

Upping it slowly. Monday I ran 2 3/4 miles in succession, then Tuesday mowed the lawn followed by a mile run, yesterday I upped it to 1 1/2 miles (all at about a 7:30/mi pace), so long as I keep eating more to make up for it, I'll keep pushing till it really hurts my 5/3/1 progress.

Keeps me with my real goal of "Ninja Warrior" style shit eventually I suppose.

MjFrancis

Sure, we're Community now, but we always were. Converts will be pointed in our direction and yet another soul will turn to the swole side of GAF.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Transcending history, and the world, a tale of swole and swords, eternally retold.

I trying to imagine how DL could have caused bruises to your chins. My only explanation is that you gripping the bar with your mouth inside of your hands.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Szu, judging from your avatar, what martial arts are you currently in/formerly in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom