• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

That guy doesn't know wtf he's talking about. It's a mobility/flexibility issue and can be fixed. Hell a wider stance would probably rectify it. You could probably also do dynamic stretching/mobility work right before squatting and be completely able to hit depth.

I've always had terrible flexibility; I can reach a few inches below my knees at best when standing up and reaching down. Or sitting and stretching forward with legs out, barely past my knees.

So anyway, how does one improve flexibility around one's ankles / calves in particular?

We have this soft plastic ceiling in the house that I always used to use as a benchmark for my vertical jump, I was always like an inch away from touching it with my head.

Today I was curious so I jumped and almost went right through it lol, so awesome, and I'm even 20 pounds heavier than what I used to weigh. Dem squats and cleans.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've always had terrible flexibility; I can reach a few inches below my knees at best when standing up and reaching down. Or sitting and stretching forward with legs out, barely past my knees.

So anyway, how does one improve flexibility around one's ankles / calves in particular?

You might also want to look into DDP Yoga - you've probably seen a video about it, but it did wonders for my flexibility and range of motion. I do not stretch well. It did a lot for me.

grumble

Yoga helped me; weighted movements also helped me, like rdls and sldls.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Woo, all my business trips got canceled in one swoop today, now I can SS consistently all summer! No work to get in the way if swole

Noema

You know what really pisses me off? At my gym there are 7 flat benches, but only one bench press bench. And yet people still use the bench press bench for crunches, leg raises, dumbbell presses and curls.

And when I walk up to one of these fuckers and politely point out that I need to do barbell bench press and that that bench is the only place I could do it, they act indignant. Today one dude said "but I got here first". Piece of shit entitled college snot.

Fuck them and fuck this gym.

You know what really pisses me off? At my gym there are 7 flat benches, but only one bench press bench. And yet people still use the bench press bench for crunches, leg raises, dumbbell presses and curls.

And when I walk up to one of these fuckers and politely point out that I need to do barbell bench press and that that bench is the only place I could do it, they act indignant. Today one dude said "but I got here first". Piece of shit entitled college snot.

Yeah you got to bounce man. That is a constant recipe for annoyance

I never understood the mentality of that. Once I know I won't be using the bench press for anything, it's off to a regular bench since others will need it.

Assert dominance! Uh, if he's smaller than you... >_>
Vlcsnap-2012-07-04-02h50m15s84.png

abuC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iItgeWUeQ_4

I found this on Reddit (gasp, taboo). Damnit, now that's what I call some teary-eyed inspiration. He has cerebral palsy, but it still doesn't stop him.

There's a guy that goes to my gym whose mom used drugs when he was in her womb, he has a terribly messed up gait and his motor skills are a bit off, yet he's there every day lifting. All my excuses for not pushing through go out the window when I see him there, shoulder hurts, so what, wrist hurts, so what.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

If that happens to me there will be some anger filled words coming out of my mouth. Frustrating just reading this!

Had two bros walk up to the squat rack and stand within 5 feet of me with their arms folded. They didn't say anything until I asked if they wanted to work in and they hit me with a zinger. "We'll wait, we need to do pull ups". They stared at me for the rest of my sets. Mind you, there are at least 5-8 other places where pull-ups are possible in my gym.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Had two bros walk up to the squat rack and stand within 5 feet of me with their arms folded. They didn't say anything until I asked if they wanted to work in and they hit me with a zinger. "We'll wait, we need to do pull ups". They stared at me for the rest of my sets. Mind you, there are at least 5-8 other places where pull-ups are possible in my gym.

Then those shitbreaths will have to wait

Cooter

Did you tell them to enjoy the show!

abuC

I would have taken my sweet time and made sure that squat session lasted like 45 mins and done pullups in between my sets.

Cooter

No one has ever fucked with me or given me attitude at the gym. I'm not the biggest guy there but I definitely put off the, "leave me alone and don't fuck with me vibe."

Szu

No one has ever fucked with me or given me attitude at the gym. I'm not the biggest guy there but I definitely put off the, "leave me alone and don't fuck with me vibe."

Same goes for me, except I give more of a "nice guy but don't get me angry, you won't like me when I'm angry" vibe.

abuC

Same goes for me, except I give more of a "nice guy but don't get me angry, you won't like me when I'm angry" vibe.

Everyone in the world has seen your avatar though, nobody is trying to get their head kicked into a pez dispenser.

Cooter

People can see I'm a nice guy when I talk with friends. If you ain't a friend doe.... ;)

kylej

Banned
Pretty sure people think I'm a slow adult in the gym and that's why I don't get bothered. Spend my time between sets zoning out and staring at the floor or rocking back and forth in the squat rack.. always counting on my fingers to do that brutal mid-workout plate math in your head... I like it.

Demon Ice

Banned
I am officially a Quest bar convert. Walked out of GNC with a box of cookie dough, can't believe I've been suffering through my old brand of bar for so long.

Had an amazing workout to finish out this week. Man I feel like I could deadlift a mountain. Think I found the sweet spot for carb nights. I workout MWF and by friday I was struggling (plus it's a deadlfit + squat day) so I had my carb nite on thursday night. Felt fucking great today.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Gots me a question. I hear that if you're trying to pack weight (the healthy kind, anyway), you shouldn't eat like 5,000 calories per day since that'll just make you fat. But does that apply to people like me who are REALLY super skinny? I mean, would all that fat be distributed to my stomach or my butt or what?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Smashed my Friday workout after work. Felt like shit, came out feeling better but spent.

Pro-tip - balancing weights on top of other weights because you need more weight is a bad idea, watched a dude try that.

Imm0rt4l

Gots me a question. I hear that if you're trying to pack weight (the healthy kind, anyway), you shouldn't eat like 5,000 calories per day since that'll just make you fat. But does that apply to people like me who are REALLY super skinny? I mean, would all that fat be distributed to my stomach or my butt or what?

I'm not sure if there is a clear answer to this. The rule of thumb for a clean bulk is something like 500 calorie surplus. It all really depends on your metabolism, your height etc. I've seen guys who can cut at ~2800 calories and are really short, whereas I have to be around 2000, it might be that my metabolism is highly adaptive or damaged to some degree, or that the other guy just has a freakishly high metabolism(likely the latter). I think your fat would first be distributed to wherever your fatcells are, I used to be much bigger and as such when I start 'spilling over' the first places I notice fat accumulation is around my obliques, lower back, lower abs. These are typically the last areas or stubborn fat areas. There really is no clear cut answer especially not knowing your stats, just go 500 over your perceived maintenance. Maintenance calories is a moving target so you'll have to watch your total daily energy expenditure, as well as the weight scale and increase calories accordingly.

abuC

I've come to the conclusion no matter how hard I hit my biceps, they will never have that big peak at the top. They seem to be getting bigger but only wider in the process, maybe the genetics for it just aren't there. The one positive is that my arms resting now are really starting to look full, I don't have to flex for them show off size, but the lack of peak sucks.

Imm0rt4l

I've come to the conclusion no matter how hard I hit my biceps, they will never have that big peak at the top. They seem to be getting bigger but only wider in the process, maybe the genetics for it just aren't there. The one positive is that my arms resting now are really starting to look full, I don't have to flex for them show off size, but the lack of peak sucks.

Same, I have a long bicep tie in, so I don't get that ridiculous baseball looking peak like some guys do. I try to hit the outer head more, by doing reverse grip curls and what not but it feels like an exercise in futility(to my credit I am cutting). Something I'll look into trying is kaatsu/occluded training which some swear by(including Layne Norton). My back double bicep will probably always look like ass.

I got calves doe

RoeBear

Hammer curls are supposed to help you get a peak.

abuC

Same, I have a long bicep tie in, so I don't get that ridiculous baseball looking peak like some guys do. I try to hit the outer head more, by doing reverse grip curls and what not but it feels like an exercise in futility(to my credit I am cutting). Something I'll look into trying is kaatsu/occluded training which some swear by(including Layne Norton). My back double bicep will probably always look like ass.

I got calves doe

Good looking out on that Layne video, I'll give that a try, so far I've done nearly everything so the reality of it is just now starting to set in. My arms are a really good size, but that peak is missing but oh well, guess you can't have it all.

Natural calves here as well, measured them and they're 19" and I didn't even start focusing on them until maybe 2 months ago.

Hammer curls are supposed to help you get a peak.

Not for me man, been doing hammer curls since I started lifting.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm not sure if there is a clear answer to this. The rule of thumb for a clean bulk is something like 500 calorie surplus. It all really depends on your metabolism, your height etc. I've seen guys who can cut at ~2800 calories and are really short, whereas I have to be around 2000, it might be that my metabolism is highly adaptive or damaged to some degree, or that the other guy just has a freakishly high metabolism(likely the latter). I think your fat would first be distributed to wherever your fatcells are, I used to be much bigger and as such when I start 'spilling over' the first places I notice fat accumulation is around my obliques, lower back, lower abs. These are typically the last areas or stubborn fat areas. There really is no clear cut answer especially not knowing your stats, just go 500 over your perceived maintenance. Maintenance calories is a moving target so you'll have to watch your total daily energy expenditure, as well as the weight scale and increase calories accordingly.

Thanks.

Also, as far as working out goes, is it generally agreed that it's best to alternate the parts of the body you workout every day? (i.e. arms one day, legs on the next day, back to arms the day after, etc.)

mooooose

My lifts today were

90 OHP
175 Squat
215 Deadlift

My OHP wasn't straight, my squat was too deep with butt wink, and my deadlift wasn't great either. Ugh. I'll post videos later. I wonder if I'm trying to lift too much and sacrificing form. IDK.

Doing SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom