• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit a snatch PR today. 85kg. No video but I did not contain my excitement very well. Definitely scared a few girls at the gym.

Great stuff. I'm going to start focusing on the olympic lifts. Is this above your bodyweight, and if so, how long did it take you to work up to a bodyweight snatch?

andycapps

Anybody experience problems going to sleep the night after working out? Predictably, I have that issue every night afterwards. And I'm usually going to bed 2-4 hours after I finished working out. I guess my metabolism is keeping me up, or something.

Any tips? I've been taking half a pill of melatonin which always does the trick but I'd like to figure out a better solution.

theytookourjobz

Great stuff. I'm going to start focusing on the olympic lifts. Is this above your bodyweight, and if so, how long did it take you to work up to a bodyweight snatch?

I weigh right around 85kg so I'll consider this a bodyweight snatch. And as for your second question, I don't focus soley on weightlifting so probably about a 18 months with the past three or four months biased toward weightlifting. It's very technique dependent so it's different for everyone but my advice would be to find a good coach or video all your lifts and visit Pendlay's forum.

Noema

Got 155lb 4 times on OHP today a new pr, I might be able to get 185 if I tried a 1 rep max.
blYVM1W.png

That's cheap compared to Neogaf Gold.

Yes, but look at all the benefits of NeoGAF Gold. I mean, the 90s GeoCities theme alone is worth it:

JedYjl8.jpg

Cagey

Banned
For calves, you have to be either formerly fat or be an Asian guy. True story. Even the scrawniest Asian dudes have amazing calves that make me want to wear sweats 24/7.

#stereotypes #casualracism

SeanR1221

Toes out 4 life. "In school to be a trainer" guy can shove it up his ass unless he's pulling 500+

Bro fist

Hit a snatch PR today. 85kg. No video but I did not contain my excitement very well. Definitely scared a few girls at the gym.

Just like theytookourjobz I hit a PR today as well.
365 on squat. I weighed in at 163 today.
Next goal is 400. Can't wait!!!

Got 155lb 4 times on OHP today a new pr, I might be able to get 185 if I tried a 1 rep max.

Congrats and continue being beasts

andycapps

For calves, you have to be either formerly fat or be an Asian guy. True story. Even the scrawniest Asian dudes have amazing calves that make me want to wear sweats 24/7.

I can vouch for the former. Though at my heaviest I was only 240 at 6'1". Still my sister in law is fat as heck and has huge calves.

Noema

I actually have decent calves even though I have never trained them in isolation.

My forearms on the other hand...

dehydrated by any chance?

Could be. Yesterday was my first session at my "temporary" gym, which is a tent next to the baseball field where they brought some of the equipment while the Gym is refurbished. I usually drink water from the drinking fountains between sets, but none are to be found in the vicinity of the new location.

f0nz0

Interested in trying a pre workout. Anyone ever use Jack3d or Craze? They seem to be the two that most people use..

Ive tried:
Assault-great pumps, too sweet tho, and pricier
1mr-made my heart beat fast, didnt like kt
Craze-honestly didnt work for me
White flood-a bit of a "calm" energy.. Like the fact that it doesnt have creatine in it becaue i supplement with it after my workouts. The watermelon has a very "medicinal" taste to it though.. Didnt like it.

blackflag

Are you talking about the "coming down" phase? Any noticeable difference in your workouts while on it?

Crazy focus for me but if I don't get to the gym in time I'll be super focused on whatever I'm doing at the time lol.

Honesty I rarely take it anymore. Only if I'm super tired because I often cant workout until 10 or 11 pm after being up since 5am.

Cagey

Banned
Ive tried:
Assault-great pumps, too sweet tho, and pricier
1mr-made my heart beat fast, didnt like kt
Craze-honestly didnt work for me
White flood-a bit of a "calm" energy.. Like the fact that it doesnt have creatine in it becaue i supplement with it after my workouts. The watermelon has a very "medicinal" taste to it though.. Didnt like it.

I use Juggernaut right now. Initially, the pump can be debilitating for a workout, but that effect becomes diminished a bit as you use the product more. There's no ALERT caffeine energy jolt, which I like. I just want a subtle energy boost throughout my workout without me being cognizant of a caffeine rush.

NO Shotgun is insane in terms of energy, because VPX specializes in energy drinks.

Jack3d old formula made you 90% sure you could run through a wall, and 50% sure you wanted to test that out. Shit was intense. The newer formulas are within the realm of "powerful, sane" preworkouts.

cryptic

My father has the biggest calves ever and I think it may have to do with going up the stairs as his main form of exercise more than his weight problem.

Lo_Fi

Hey guys! I've been maintaining my new year's resolution of going to the gym, but I thought I would stop in here to request some advice on a routine.

Height: ~5'10"
Weight: 150 lbs.
Goal: My main goal is just to feel better/get stronger in general, but a nice side effect is getting some muscle. Specific goals would have to be getting bigger biceps, and lesser priority is some abs.
Current Training Schedule: I'm not too familiar with a lot of lifting terms, but here ya go:
Run a mile on the treadmill (usually ~8 or 9 minute mile).
Machine: (3 sets of 8 reps each)
Something similar to a shoulder press, but back is vertical instead of bent forward.
Leg press
Pushdown
Biceps Curl
Pulldown
Non-machine:
Bicep curls, alternating arms (20 lbs. each)
Current Training Equipment Available: Treadmills, Lift machine with tons of available lift types, Barbell (not sure how heavy it goes, and no bench for bench press), Ellipticals, Dumbbells: 2 5-pounders, 2 20-pounders, 1 35-pounder
Comments: I'm not aiming to lose weight, but I would be fine with losing a bit of tummy. Also, this gym is small, but I'll be moving in a few months, where there will probably be more equipment.

_Isaac

My father has the biggest calves ever and I think it may have to do with going up the stairs as his main form of exercise more than his weight problem.

How long did that take? I haven't seen results and I use the stairs to get to work on the fourth floor. I'm also pretty fat.

cdkee

Banned
Hey guys! I've been maintaining my new year's resolution of going to the gym, but I thought I would stop in here to request some advice on a routine.

Height: ~5'10"
Weight: 150 lbs.
Goal: My main goal is just to feel better/get stronger in general, but a nice side effect is getting some muscle. Specific goals would have to be getting bigger biceps, and lesser priority is some abs.
Current Training Schedule: I'm not too familiar with a lot of lifting terms, but here ya go:
Run a mile on the treadmill (usually ~8 or 9 minute mile).
Machine: (3 sets of 8 reps each)
Something similar to a shoulder press, but back is vertical instead of bent forward.
Leg press
Pushdown
Biceps Curl
Pulldown
Non-machine:
Bicep curls, alternating arms (20 lbs. each)
Current Training Equipment Available: Treadmills, Lift machine with tons of available lift types, Barbell (not sure how heavy it goes, and no bench for bench press), Ellipticals, Dumbbells: 2 5-pounders, 2 20-pounders, 1 35-pounder
Comments: I'm not aiming to lose weight, but I would be fine with losing a bit of tummy. Also, this gym is small, but I'll be moving in a few months, where there will probably be more equipment.

If you want to get stronger and put on some muscle, Starting Strength is a good workout. However you need access to free weights. Squats, deadlifts, barbell shoulder press, rows, and bench press is really all you need. you can always throw in dips and pullups too.

Basically, you want to do compound lifts (exercises that work multiple muscle groups). That's what I'd do anyway.

Mully

Started working on Power Cleans last week and continued working on them yesterday.

I'm not too confident about my form yet, but I'm getting the basic motions down. Does anyone have any advice?

f0nz0

Started working on Power Cleans last week and continued working on them yesterday.

I'm not too confident about my form yet, but I'm getting the basic motions down. Does anyone have any advice?

Break the movement into 3 basic parts, and practice each movement separately until you are confident you have good form, then piece it all together

Clean pull: starting position, pull the weight up into a barbell shrug. Repeat until its fluid and the barbell tracks properly up your body, i notice a lot of people have the bar track a bit in front of them, that shows they are pulling more with their arms than their hips/legs, keep the bar close as you would Deadlift

Hang clean :start with barbell hanging just below knees, explode with weight up into front Squat starting position

Hang clean with front Squat, self explanatory.

Then put it all together. You should really be focusing on generating power once the bar is around mid shins/a little below knees as opposed to exploding off the ground.

theytookourjobz

Back tight, arms loose. Drive the bar off the floor by pressing your heels hard into the floor. Push your knees back out of the way so the bar goes straight up. Once you're past your knees, trace the bar up your thighs by opening up your chest. Don't get explosive until the bar is in the "power position" bar almost in the hips, knees slightly bent. From that position jump hard through your heels straight up. Shift your feet from your pulling to your squatting stance (a little wider for most) and as soon as the bar is traveling up stomp your heels back onto the ground and send your elbows around the bar fast to create a shelf to catch the bar on your deltoids. Use light weights and keep perfect form until you are a ninja.

Kyaw

The thing with power cleans is that I cannot do the "catch" phase of the exercise properly.

My rack position flexibility is shit and I've never really front squatted before. I've been stretching my wrists and practising the rack position though.

JB1981

The thing with power cleans is that I cannot do the "catch" phase of the exercise properly.

My rack position flexibility is shit and I've never really front squatted before. I've been stretching my wrists and practising the rack position though.

Take a wider grip, should help with flexibility issues.

Szu

Hmmmm, I was formerly fat and currently (and in the near future) Asian.

I do have good looking calves.

But then I do kick things.

A lot.

Veezy

que?

Practice the front squat. Go light enough that you won't topple over or drop the bar, but heavy enough to pin your finger down.

Kyaw

Practice the front squat. Go light enough that you won't topple over or drop the bar, but heavy enough to pin your finger down.

I'll practice the front squats on my "light" squat Wednesdays.

Really want to fit in power cleans into GSLP. Which days should I put it in? (or does it really matter because it's gonna be so light anyway?)

Veezy

que?
I'll practice the front squats on my "light" squat Wednesdays.

Really want to fit in power cleans into GSLP. Which days should I put it in? (or does it really matter because it's gonna be so light anyway?)

During the Warm up to the dead lift. Works like this:

Your goal lift is Y weight by 5+ reps for dead lift.

Warm up should be:

Empty bar for 5 reps, some leg swings, five more reps
Then Yx50% for 5 reps
Then Yx65% for 5 reps
Then Yx75% for 3 reps

In between the empty bar and your Yx50% warm up, do some power clean triples. Then, eventually, you should be strong enough or have to reload to where the warm up weight is enough for power cleans in the 50% or 65% area. I'd only aim to do maybe three total sets. If it's light enough, do a set of five. If it's too heavy, do a set of three.

Then, do your dead lifts. Worked for me.

Dash27

I actually have decent calves even though I have never trained them in isolation.

My forearms on the other hand...

This is me too. I have good calves despite ever paying attention to them. So it's either genetic or I got them from playing so much pick up basketball in my teens and 20's.

Wanted to share this here since it's a barbell pic, a photographer friend took advantage of some cool lighting during dl's last week:

deadlift_zps861409d1.jpg

Kyaw

During the Warm up to the dead lift. Works like this:

Your goal lift is Y weight by 5+ reps for dead lift.

Warm up should be:

Empty bar for 5 reps, some leg swings, five more reps
Then Yx50% for 5 reps
Then Yx65% for 5 reps
Then Yx75% for 3 reps

In between the empty bar and your Yx50% warm up, do some power clean triples. Then, eventually, you should be strong enough or have to reload to where the warm up weight is enough for power cleans in the 50% or 65% area. I'd only aim to do maybe three total sets. If it's light enough, do a set of five. If it's too heavy, do a set of three.

Then, do your dead lifts. Worked for me.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

This is me too. I have good calves despite ever paying attention to them. So it's either genetic or I got them from playing so much pick up basketball in my teens and 20's.

Wanted to share this here since it's a barbell pic, a photographer friend took advantage of some cool lighting during dl's last week:

Great pic. Look like a genuine badass.

MjFrancis

Do you have trouble getting your fingers under the bar while holding your elbows up high? I'm not partial to that myself.

Decided to do the Spartan Race over the Tough Mudder. Not a big runner so a 5k would be more reasonable.

When are you participating in the Spartan Race? I have a Warrior Dash in July. Also took that over the Tough Mudder.

fuck a front squats.

I think they are my most hated exercise.

I loathe them as well. Mostly because I can't assume the proper position with my arms and so I have to resort to the 'genie pose' which on higher weights is uncomfortable as hell.

Do you have trouble getting your fingers under the bar while holding your elbows up high? I'm not partial to that myself.

Yeah that is my exact problem.

Decided to do the Spartan Race over the Tough Mudder. Not a big runner so a 5k would be more reasonable.

I really want to do a Spartan Race. Tough Mudders are cake. Let me know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom