• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldStar

Banned
Not having cable is sometimes a blessing. Was gonna take today off but since the Miami game is on tonight I have to hit up the gym to do some cardio while taking advantage of their cable TV.

#povertylifting

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
after 30g of carbs all week i had carbnite.

I feel horrible after eating all that rice and noodles.

In general I barely eat over 100g carbs a day normally so this is some next level shit.

Also I'm going to start greyskull LP this week. Ran through the workouts today so I know whats up.

Been out of the gym this week resting my back. I'm ready to destroy it. Not my back, the gym.

Rookje

after 30g of carbs all week i had carbnite.

I feel horrible after eating all that rice and noodles.

In general I barely eat over 100g carbs a day normally so this is some next level shit.

Also I'm going to start greyskull LP this week. Ran through the workouts today so I know whats up.

Been out of the gym this week resting my back. I'm ready to destroy it. Not my back, the gym.

Careful with CKD style diets. It started a mini binge eating eating disorder for me that took me a while to get out of. I also felt terrible after the "carb nite"/carb up period. I would be paralyzed and almost couldn't move the morning after until at least noon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not having cable is sometimes a blessing. Was gonna take today off but since the Miami game is on tonight I have to hit up the gym to do some cardio while taking advantage of their cable TV.

#povertylifting

lol I have no cable and the gym has it, I waste 15 minutes trying to find something worth a shit to watch

abuC

That's crazy amazing abuC, we'll want pics with them bulging veins!

Thanks man, I got down to that weight last year and felt a little skinny so did a small bulk so hopefully when I'm back down there I have some more mass to me now. It's like Christmas dropping all the fat and seeing what's underneath!

My traps will suck though, that's a given lol.

After having done Westside for skinny bastards for about 14-15 weeks, I've decided to move on to 5/3/1 (Dave Tate's Periodization Bible):

Day 1
Overhead Press - 5/3/1
Shoulders or Chest - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
Lats or Upper Back - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T - bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)
Triceps - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Triceps Pushdowns or Triceps Extensions)

Day 2
Deadlift - 5/3/1
Hamstrings - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Leg Curls, Glute - Ham Raise)
Quads - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Leg Press, Lunges, Hack Squats)
Abs - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Sit - ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

Day 3
Bench Press - 5/3/1
Shoulders or Chest - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB bench, DB Incline, DB Military, Incline press, Dips, Pushups)
Lats or Upper Back - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (DB rows, Bent Over Rows, Chins, T - bar Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Face Pulls, Shrugs)
Triceps - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Triceps Pushdowns or Triceps Extensions)

Day 4
Squat - 5/3/1
Low Back - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Reverse Hyper, Back Raise, Good Morning)
Quads - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Leg Press, Lunges, Hack Squats)
Abs - 5 sets of 10 - 20 reps (Sit - ups, Hanging Leg Raises, Ab Wheel, DB Side Bend)

Can I do some of the work-outs without a day of rest in-between?
Like say Day 1 on Monday, Day 2 on tuesday, then a 2 day break, and day 3 on Friday, Day 4 on Saturday, and Sunday as rest.

It's either that or just having a rest day after each work-out day, and not assigning each work-out to a particular week day (e.g. Week 1: Mon-Day 1, Wed-Day 2, Fri-Day 3, Sun-Day 4; Week 2: Tues-Day 1, Thur-Day 2, Sat-Day 3, Mon-Day 4).

Congrats on the marriage Sean!

Kyaw

Fucking man flu hit me. Can't go to the gym in this state. Gotta renew the gym membership as well. £65 for this last two months before moving.

Petrie

Banned
Did deadlifts yesterday morning, but didn't wear my belt for my anything but my final set for 5s week of 5/3/1, boy am I feeling it.

I love fitness but I do need to relax a bit with my "guilt". Rather than think "what physical activity could I be doing" yesterday, I simply spent the entire day at 2 bbqs, and then sitting and playing super nerdy board and card games all day, something I haven't allowed myself to do in quite some time due to weird guilt over such things.

Have to get some balance!

My back disagrees after sitting all day though, right after deads. Ungh.

grumble

Did deadlifts yesterday morning, but didn't wear my belt for my anything but my final set for 5s week of 5/3/1, boy am I feeling it.

I love fitness but I do need to relax a bit with my "guilt". Rather than think "what physical activity could I be doing" yesterday, I simply spent the entire day at 2 bbqs, and then sitting and playing super nerdy board and card games all day, something I haven't allowed myself to do in quite some time due to weird guilt over such things.

Have to get some balance!

My back disagrees after sitting all day though, right after deads. Ungh.

Totally agree, there's a line between taking care of yourself, enjoying a hobby and trying to accomplish your goals, and being an orthorexic with body dysmorphia. Sometimes I get a bit obsessive and I need to pull back.

Petrie

Banned
Foreverbulk

Wish I could. Gaining too much fat negatively effects my insulin resistance, and unfortunately managing my diabetes comes in number one for me.

I basically determine when to cut by when I'm having to use far too much insulin daily at this point. Vanity is just a bonus.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
60lbs on the vest now. People givin' me dat terrorist look.

Wish I could. Gaining too much fat negatively effects my insulin resistance, and unfortunately managing my diabetes comes in number one for me.

I basically determine when to cut by when I'm having to use far too much insulin daily at this point. Vanity is just a bonus.

Take all the insulins and eat all day erry day even in sleepy times.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If Shogun says so, must be the best course of action.

Dat beefaroni bulk, let's go!

chef-boy-ar-dee-ad-small.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Bros, a bit OT, but my grandmother just gave me my grandfather's Coors clock and calender from the 80s. I've loved these things since I was a kid. Fucking sweet.

424641_10201262434633866_1747757503_n.jpg

On topic, looking forward to getting back into the gym on Wednesday. Cutting the deload short by 3 days but FUCK IT.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Poking around ICF's 5x5 workout and considering it. It's more time and more sets than SS' but also appears to be more aggressive. Has anyone else done the Novice 5x5? Is it more efficient than SS? I'm kind of iffy on the 8 rep shrugs and skullcrushers, as they don't SOUND efficient but I'd like to be educated.

3 days a week, alternating:

A
squat 5x5
bench5x5
bb row5x5
bb shrug3x8
skullcrusher3x8
chinups3x5-8
hyperextenstion2x10
kneeling cable crunch3x10-20
B
squat5x5
deadlift1x5
standingpress5x5
bb row5x5 -10%
close grip bench3x8
straight bar or incline curl3x8

Cagey

Banned
I went into the weekend thinking I'd fuel up on some monster buffet portions at a Sunday wedding for my Monday squat day.

It was a fully 100% vegetarian wedding.

Such things apparently exist, and there's apparently no laws punishing those who commit these crimes against muscle.

Petrie

Banned
I went into the weekend thinking I'd fuel up on some monster buffet portions at a Sunday wedding for my Monday squat day.

It was a fully 100% vegetarian wedding.

Such things apparently exist, and there's apparently no laws punishing those who commit these crimes against muscle.

The marriage contract?

Zing.

I'll be here all night.

What the fuck, why was Shogun banned?

Shogun gonna Shogun.

I hit him up on Fitocracy. I'll let you know when we get a response.

Petrie

Banned
iirc shogun's last ban was for like two months, he might be gone for a while this time....

Somebody call in a favor to 'lore.

I've simply stopped going to other threads that are even remotely controversial/opinionated. It isn't worth losing you guys for any period.

*While I'm thinking of it, my gyms dips machine (I don't use the assistance, but it's the only spot to do them) has a close and wider grip option. I've always done closer assuming it'd target triceps more, much like CGBP, but I have no reasoning beyond that. Thoughts or input on the subject?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Apparently because he said "people make up shit on the internet, watch" - fucking stupid-ass gaming side. It's absolutely pathetic right now how people are acting. Foolishness all around.

iirc shogun's last ban was for like two months, he might be gone for a while this time....

I wager it's just till E3. Now I need to begin the Shogun Chase and try to get my numbers closer to his!

Petrie

Banned
Apparently because he said "people make up shit on the internet, watch" - fucking stupid-ass gaming side. It's absolutely pathetic right now how people are acting. Foolishness all around.

This is why I read gaming, but I'll hardly bother to post unless it's a question in a game's thread or some-such.

agrajag

Banned
Somebody call in a favor to 'lore.

I've simply stopped going to other threads that are even remotely controversial/opinionated. It isn't worth losing you guys for any period.

*While I'm thinking of it, my gyms dips machine (I don't use the assistance, but it's the only spot to do them) has a close and wider grip option. I've always done closer assuming it'd target triceps more, much like CGBP, but I have no reasoning beyond that. Thoughts or input on the subject?

I can't do dips unless the grip is really close, I get pains in my back and chest. So I can't use the dip/pullup machine for dips. The back hyperextension thing at my gym has two prongs sticking out for what I assume is dips, so I use that.

bjb

Banned

Made some pretty shameful comments on gaming-side.

I can't do dips unless the grip is really close, I get pains in my back and chest. So I can't use the dip/pullup machine for dips. The back hyperextension thing at my gym has two prongs sticking out for what I assume is dips, so I use that.

Luckily the dip/pullup machine at my game is adjustable - even for grip. It's broken like 60% of the time, though.

Otherwise, pain in your back from dips? Jesus, I've never heard of that - but I can't even begin to imagine. Back pain is the worst.

grumble

Poking around ICF's 5x5 workout and considering it. It's more time and more sets than SS' but also appears to be more aggressive. Has anyone else done the Novice 5x5? Is it more efficient than SS? I'm kind of iffy on the 8 rep shrugs and skullcrushers, as they don't SOUND efficient but I'd like to be educated.

A
squat 5x5
bench5x5
bb row5x5
bb shrug3x8
skullcrusher3x8
chinups3x5-8
hyperextenstion2x10
B
squat5x5
deadlift1x5
standingpress5x5
bb row5x5 -10%
close grip bench3x8

That is a ton of volume in compound lifts. I would definitely not be able to recover from that and progress each workout. What is the weight progression scheme? I also don't like workout B where you do DL right after squats.

hmmmmm community killing activity in here?

Not doing it any favours in my opinion, though I see a few regulars here!

Will have to link up every health and fitness related thread to here with a 'subscribe' under it or something.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That is a ton of volume in compound lifts. I would definitely not be able to recover from that and progress each workout. What is the weight progression scheme? I also don't like workout B where you do DL right after squats.

From what I understand a very simple 5% increase weekly provided you complete all the sets.

Weirdly, I do DL after squats on SS. It takes a lot out of me though...

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
With the holiday I lifted chest/bis in the morning. Didn't feel like I had much when I got in there but once I got going I felt great! Finished DB flat with 140s 7 times and incline BB at 255 for five. Of course the mountain of ribs I scarfed down last night might have had something to do with it! ;)

Sucks about Shogun. Wouldn't mind reading what he said.

theytookourjobz

Doing a 5-week leg strength program from Catalyst and I feel like I'm going to die after the second week. Monday is 3x10 back squat and 10 reps at 70% almost didn't go up today.

SeanR1221

Checking in from the lobby (wifi here).

0E57603B-5D76-4489-8CB9-8201DECBFBA0-2193-000000D96377CF99_zps3dc0502c.jpg

Woke up early so I hit the gym! High rep deads and pendlay rows. Breakfast buffet was right next to the gym so I destroyed that after

This place is like paradise.

That pic is fantastic.

---------------

So halfway though my cut and I'm feeling good. Went to a BBQ this weekend and peeps who haven't seen me in a month have actually commented that I look bigger even though I lost 11 lbs. It is a great feeling. Also, since it is the halfway point, took a bit of a break and enjoyed the Memorial Day weekend.

Friday - late night Taco Bell
Saturday - BBQ (lots of chicken, brats, and burgers)
Sunday - ate normal
Monday - sushi

A self check on bf% puts me at 13 or so. I think I'm just gonna say fuck it and try to cut down to 220. See how far I can get. Never been a vascular guy so I wonder how I will look. Mentally will be the hardest block to get over.

Checking in from the lobby (wifi here).

0E57603B-5D76-4489-8CB9-8201DECBFBA0-2193-000000D96377CF99_zps3dc0502c.jpg

Woke up early so I hit the gym! High rep deads and pendlay rows. Breakfast buffet was right next to the gym so I destroyed that after

This place is like paradise.

Chest is looking huge here. Congrats on the wedding. Don't forget to enjoy the honeymoon!

Noema

A
squat 5x5
bench5x5
bb row5x5
bb shrug3x8
skullcrusher3x8
chinups3x5-8
hyperextenstion2x10
B
squat5x5
deadlift1x5
standingpress5x5
bb row5x5 -10%
close grip bench3x8

That's an insane amount of volume there. Looks like a recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom