• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

I'm doing the pullup exercise specified for the Monday workout in the OP. What is better standard width pullups or wide pullups or is it better to just use a lat pulldown machine?

Petrie

Banned
From Shogun via Fitocracy:

To be honest, them moving the thread to community pissed me off too. I really doubt I'll come back. Petrie, if you would let the guys know I'd appreciate it. If Ya'll wanna hook up on FB that works.

Sucks, but I definitely see his point.

Sucks though.

Ekdrm2d1

1) I buy 1% milk, and use it with my shakes, oatmeal, and coffee
2) I must get up to or around 8 glasses/day
3) A bit of milk and no more than two packets of sugar
4) No cheese or meats besides grilled chicken, and only a very small drop of balsamic vinaigrette

I'm not a huge fan of sit-ups and crunches (I find them to be some of the most boring exercises on the planet). Instead, I do lots of L-sits, hanging leg raises, squats, deadlifts, weighted ab pull-downs, etc. As for running: I try to run at least twice a week. Doing anymore than that is tough on my joints considering I walk around all day long for work in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it very much.

Good deal.

If you're that concerned about belly fat then maybe switch to fat-free milk? You might not notice any difference within a month but I'm sure long term it'll be better. I was raised up (late teens/20s) on fat-free milk so it's not a big deal for me. Some people might find it disgusting compared to other types of milk.

8 glasses of water a day seems good. You should measure it out, see the real number you are drinking. I just buy a gallon water jug and pour glass after glass through-out the day. I've heard drinking water out of plastic is bad for you, but I pour it into a glass so I don't know.

Sugar packets in your coffee could be bad at a miniscule level. Especially depending how often you drink coffee. If you only drink coffee once a day it's not that bad but if you're a big coffee drinker perhaps.

Good job on the salads. Salads are a good "go to" meal for trying to lose weight or stay at a low-weight number.

Maybe you should try doing situps for a month, see what you notice. If you don't notice anything, and you despise them, then don't do anymore :p

Running is important, IMO. Sucks that you have joint issues. I think running played a big part of the reason how I lost my beer belly. Being strained/tired from work isn't fun either :(

I once read an article about organic foods and how they're good for aiding a nice rectus abdominis. If you have the money, maybe you should try to experiment for a month. Try to retrofit your pantry with organic items. Every time you run out of something, replace it with an organic option. It may be all nonsense and only a money waster, but if you want to give it "all you got" then you might as well. I followed the organic article and now I am very pleased with my stomach (not belly! :p )

My recommendations would be
A) Switch to fat-free milk
B) Cut the sugar in the coffee
C) Do more situps and such
D) Run more

The above may only help at a small level though. If you don't do it, then I wouldn't stress it.

Sounds like you're on the right track though. It just takes time. Keep it up and hopefully soon you'll be more happy.

Ekdrm2d1

You don't gotta do a ton of cardio to lose belly fat. You can get abs without a single crunch or sit-up especially if you are squatting, dead lifting and stuff, it's just diet. Eat less that your TDEE and you'll get there eventually.

Thanks for the contribution.

I am speaking from my own experience, and how I lost my beer belly and gained a 4-pack.
I'm still a noob at fitness in general, but that's how I lost my weight. Figured I'd pass it on.

I agree, dieting plays a humungous roll in it as well.

Tash

After a week at the Nordic Game conference in Malmø (and hanging out with Tim Schafer!) I am having a hard time getting back to the gym :(
Eating badly last week doesn't help my case.

Tash

Yeah, they're way too expensive to buy here. I did make a batch of homemade protein bars this weekend, though (http://dhftns.com/the-best-homemade-protein-bars-recipe-18-5g-protein4g-fiber/). They came out rather well.

If anyone is struggling for lunch ideas, I can't recommend mason jar salads enough. I started experimenting with them over the last week and they're surprisingly awesome.

Easy to make, they keep for about a week, very healthy, and very easy to transport. They're perfect for lunch.

There's some good advice about making them here - http://www.skinnymomskitchen.com/2013/02/12/my-thoughts-on-mason-jar-salads/

Most awesome reply ever. THANKS!!
Also, that blog is amazing. Being a huge fan and always on the hunt for fast healthy food options and made-in-advance-food this is brilliant.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Good deal.

If you're that concerned about belly fat then maybe switch to fat-free milk? You might not notice any difference within a month but I'm sure long term it'll be better. I was raised up (late teens/20s) on fat-free milk so it's not a big deal for me. Some people might find it disgusting compared to other types of milk.

8 glasses of water a day seems good. You should measure it out, see the real number you are drinking. I just buy a gallon water jug and pour glass after glass through-out the day. I've heard drinking water out of plastic is bad for you, but I pour it into a glass so I don't know.

Sugar packets in your coffee could be bad at a miniscule level. Especially depending how often you drink coffee. If you only drink coffee once a day it's not that bad but if you're a big coffee drinker perhaps.

Good job on the salads. Salads are a good "go to" meal for trying to lose weight or stay at a low-weight number.

Maybe you should try doing situps for a month, see what you notice. If you don't notice anything, and you despise them, then don't do anymore :p

Running is important, IMO. Sucks that you have joint issues. I think running played a big part of the reason how I lost my beer belly. Being strained/tired from work isn't fun either :(

I once read an article about organic foods and how they're good for aiding a nice rectus abdominis. If you have the money, maybe you should try to experiment for a month. Try to retrofit your pantry with organic items. Every time you run out of something, replace it with an organic option. It may be all nonsense and only a money waster, but if you want to give it "all you got" then you might as well. I followed the organic article and now I am very pleased with my stomach (not belly! :p )

My recommendations would be
A) Switch to fat-free milk
B) Cut the sugar in the coffee
C) Do more situps and such
D) Run more

The above may only help at a small level though. If you don't do it, then I wouldn't stress it.

Sounds like you're on the right track though. It just takes time. Keep it up and hopefully soon you'll be more happy.

You've been great, really. Thanks for all the feedback.

If I notice any real results I'll be sure to update you all (lol).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, the failure keeps on coming. Failed my final set of power cleans. I know why I did though. Yeah, deload week time.

woodchuck

When doing squats, I don't feel anything in my hamstrings/glutes. I think I'm quad dominant. Any tips on how to strengthen and activate my glutes? Do Good Mornings?

When doing squats, I don't feel anything in my hamstrings/glutes. I think I'm quad dominant. Any tips on how to strengthen and activate my glutes? Do Good Mornings?

Glute Ham Raises are one of the best exercises you can do. Very hard to find a machine though.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...raining_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/awaken_the_glute_monster&cr=

And damn, Alien and bjb with the ban? Sucks =/

grumble

First off check your depth, you'll likely see more in your glutes going a couple inches below parallel. I also find that I feel more soreness and tiredness in my quads than my glutes, but both exploded when I started squatting heavier so there's more to it than the feeling during the set it seems!

I've always found that my adductors get a huge workout during squats but hamstrings not quite as much. Deadlifts get the hams strong though.

Also go low bar if you're squatting high bar, and widen your stance slightly.

I used to do glute activation work before my squats too, basically lifting my leg as far behind me using my glutes while standing, 20 reps a side. Might help with mind muscle connection? I don't bother now.

After having done Westside for skinny bastards for about 14-15 weeks, I've decided to move on to 5/3/1 (Dave Tate's Periodization Bible):

Can I do some of the work-outs without a day of rest in-between?
Like say Day 1 on Monday, Day 2 on tuesday, then a 2 day break, and day 3 on Friday, Day 4 on Saturday, and Sunday as rest.

It's either that or just having a rest day after each work-out day, and not assigning each work-out to a particular week day (e.g. Week 1: Mon-Day 1, Wed-Day 2, Fri-Day 3, Sun-Day 4; Week 2: Tues-Day 1, Thur-Day 2, Sat-Day 3, Mon-Day 4).

Congrats on the marriage Sean!

I'm on this program and this is exactly what I do.

Tues/Wed, Off Thur, Fri/Sat, Off Sun/Mon

repeat

abuC

My traps are on fire, did so much work on them yesterday and hit them from every possible angle you'd think they were Tina and I was Ike Turner. They are FINALLY starting to show

yes.gif

Petrie

Banned
That's because there's nothing there that someone should get banned for.

He absolutely should not have been. Bullshit.

This thread deserved to be in community a while ago. It went from helping people to circle jerk since somewhere in ot2/3.

No, this thread is here to help people who want to be helped. Those who just want to be told how great what they are doing is need not apply, this is a no-bullshit zone.

MjFrancis

I'm doing the pullup exercise specified for the Monday workout in the OP. What is better standard width pullups or wide pullups or is it better to just use a lat pulldown machine?
Pull-ups are superior to the lat pulldown machine in most every way. I see no reason to do pull-ups with a grip farther than shoulder-width apart other than for variety. Taking a wide-grip is more difficult so you won't be able to do as much as you may be able to do otherwise. I prefer neutral grip (hands-facing one another, should you have a bar than can accommodate this) or rings because it's easier on my wrists and elbows.

mkenyon

Banned
Pic of where I run every day. This trail was nearly barren a month ago. Maybe some green sprouts here and there, but mostly just winter branches. Gotta love springtime in the NW:

N0raEL5.jpg

Matugi

Didn't ride a bike for four year, went on a 12 mile bike ride this morning and grabbed Chipotle afterwards. I'm feeling like a god right now

holy crap, I've been doing rope tricep pushdowns wrong all these months. Friend of mine was telling me that I letting the rope go too far up. My tris burn SO HORD and I had to lower the weight down immensely.

It is a bittersweet feeling.

abuC

holy crap, I've been doing rope tricep pushdowns wrong all these months. Friend of mine was telling me that I letting the rope go too far up. My tris burn SO HORD and I had to lower the weight down immensely.

It is a bittersweet feeling.

I don't let it go past my chest, try a 4030 tempo with it too, 4 seconds down, 0 second pause, and 3 second negative.

I don't let it go past my chest, try a 4030 tempo with it too, 4 seconds down, 0 second pause, and 3 second negative.

Okay, I will keep that in mind. Yeah, I let it go up to my head and then pull it back down. I mean, I felt it working but nothing like this. I really feel like a jackass doing it wrong all this time. Good news is that my tris are gonna blow up.

Petrie

Banned
Okay, I will keep that in mind. Yeah, I let it go up to my head and then pull it back down. I mean, I felt it working but nothing like this. I really feel like a jackass doing it wrong all this time. Good news is that my tris are gonna blow up.

I'm doing them wrong too then. I do them just like you, hope that makes you feel better big guy. We can learn together!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Round 2 on the 45lb muscle up tonight. I'm not very optimistic based on last weeks attempts but it will be good practice nonetheless.

Pull-ups are superior to the lat pulldown machine in most every way. I see no reason to do pull-ups with a grip farther than shoulder-width apart other than for variety. Taking a wide-grip is more difficult so you won't be able to do as much as you may be able to do otherwise. I prefer neutral grip (hands-facing one another, should you have a bar than can accommodate this) or rings because it's easier on my wrists and elbows.

This man speaks the truth. I have a hard time on pull-ups, but I still try and throw in negatives to improve my reps for the future.

Ultimatum

Banned

Are they still superior if I can do more than my body weight on the lat pulldown?

abuC

Yeah, from what I was told going higher than your chest takes tension off your triceps, never going past chest level always means them sumbiches have to work.

Do reverse grip pulldowns too, I spend a long time on my triceps & do a lot of different pulldowns.

I have no idea how he trains, but he might not even train with weights. So that would explain his chest if he doesn't bench.

Still, if he developed such a physique with just bodyweight exercises and his gymnastics training, damn. That's what I call being blessed by the Genetics Fairy. He'd probably look good even if he spent all day sitting playing WoW and eating Doritos.

I'm sorry to be rude, but what the fuck are you talking about? Have you never seen a male Olympic gymnast before? They All look like that, and Calisthenics can be made 1000 times harder than squats/deadlifts/etc. Being a gymnast requires INSANE core and upper body strength.

And saying it's all genetics is complete bullshit, most of these guys have been training since the day they learned how to walk. I do a lot of Calisthenic work on the pull up bars, trust me that shit is extremely difficult. And Calisthenics are BY FAR the best abdominal/oblique work you can do, nothing else even comes close.

Go to your gym and try to do this:
photo_verybig_141772.jpg

If you succeed I will hand over every dime I make for the next decade.

Detox

Thanks for this, I'll look into the neutral grip and see if I can find somewhere to do them.

So I finished my first week of SS, feel I'm getting the forms down.
Here are my starting numbers:
Squat 145 4x5
Deadlift 135 4x5
Bench 135 4x5
Press 75 4x5.
Are these normal starting numbers? I feel they are pretty low. Also, I only got 4 reps on my last bench set, do I keep the weight the same, or move up to 140?

Pyrokai

Man, a lot of you guys are WAY beyond the beginner stage as outlined in the OP.

I know nearly nothing in comparison to you guys.

That being said, I have a very big n00b question: Looking at the OP Full Body beginner workout, I feel like it isn't very heavy in leg exercises. Are squats intense on the legs? I have chicken legs and would like to try and gain muscle there. I was thinking about adding in some leg exercises UNLESS squats and the other exercises in the OP are intense enough on the legs and I shouldn't worry about it.

Thanks guys.

Petrie

Banned

That being said, I have a very big n00b question: Looking at the OP Full Body beginner workout, I feel like it isn't very heavy in leg exercises. Are squats intense on the legs? I have chicken legs and would like to try and gain muscle there. I was thinking about adding in some leg exercises UNLESS squats and the other exercises in the OP are intense enough on the legs and I shouldn't worry about it.

Thanks guys.

Squats are the only leg lift a beginner needs. Couple that with Deadlifts hitting your hamstrings, and your legs will blow up. Don't worry.

Caramello

Poking around ICF's 5x5 workout and considering it. It's more time and more sets than SS' but also appears to be more aggressive. Has anyone else done the Novice 5x5? Is it more efficient than SS? I'm kind of iffy on the 8 rep shrugs and skullcrushers, as they don't SOUND efficient but I'd like to be educated.

3 days a week, alternating:

A
squat 5x5
bench5x5
bb row5x5
bb shrug3x8
skullcrusher3x8
chinups3x5-8
hyperextenstion2x10
kneeling cable crunch3x10-20
B
squat5x5
deadlift1x5
standingpress5x5
bb row5x5 -10%
close grip bench3x8
straight bar or incline curl3x8
kneeling cable crunch3x10-20

I'm on this program after 4 months on Starting Strength.

It really depends on what your goals are. Shogun had a great post about being honest with yourself about your goals and following a program that will help you reach them.

Starting Strength really does nothing for your upper body compared to the Ice Cream Fitness novice program. For me Starting Strength was a good way to learn the compound lifts but that's about it.

The work load is much higher with this routine compared with SS but it doesn't effect my recovery at all and in fact I've been making gains faster on this routine than I did on Starting Strength (both aestheticly and strength wise) AND I'm eating 700 calories less now because I don't need all the extra food to make gains.

Jason Blaha is knowledgable and certainly doesn't have anything in the routine that isn't needed. You're going to be hitting every muscle 3 times a week, as an example lower back and traps will be hit on one day with deadlifts and the next day with hyperextentions and shrugs. This means that you'll always be growing each muscle. With SS though, there is no such work being done which is probably why I tended to stall faster.

If you do decide to do this routine, definitely make sure you check out Jason's videos on form, particularly for skullcrushers.

PM me if you want any extra advice and good luck man

Petrie

Banned
I'm on this program after 4 months on Starting Strength.

It really depends on what your goals are. Shogun had a great post about being honest with yourself about your goals and following a program that will help you reach them.

Starting Strength really does nothing for your upper body

Everyone should stop reading right here. Bench Press, OHP, pullups and chins are plenty of work for the novice who should be focused on form and linear progress, not to mention even Deads, Squats, and Cleans incorporate those groups. I don't care what other routine you're comparing it to, you should find a different way to phrase your point.

Also if you spent 4 months on SS, you got progress out of that that may be the very reason you are now progressing more easily on another program. You have no idea where you'd be if you had skipped the SS phase.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
This thread deserved to be in community a while ago. It went from helping people to circle jerk since somewhere in ot2/3.

I guess the diet discussions, form check videos, detailed OP, explanations of programming given to beginners, discussion of mechanics and sharing of anecdotal tips are just part of the circle jerk then?

No, this thread is here to help people who want to be helped. Those who just want to be told how great what they are doing is need not apply, this is a no-bullshit zone.

This.

Petrie

Banned
I guess the diet discussions, form check videos, detailed OP, explanations of programming given to beginners, discussion of mechanics and sharing of anecdotal tips are just part of the circle jerk then?

This.

Yep. There is a massive amount of great advice and help in this thread for those willing to accept it. If you come in and post your beginner ab blasting routine, and then get upset and argue when told it's crap, then this thread likely isn't for you. As someone who 2 years ago discovered the 3rd incarnation of this thread and was helped on a path that's going to last a lifetime, to claim this thread is just a circle jerk is absurdity.

Pyrokai

Squats are the only leg lift a beginner needs. Couple that with Deadlifts hitting your hamstrings, and your legs will blow up. Don't worry.

Okay, cool!

So using the OP basic beginner routines, I put together this little fitness plan. Tell me what you guys think! I modified slightly and threw in a bunch of optional stuff if I'm feeling crazy active.

I'm mostly concerned about the BMR. I feel like that is incredibly low. Did I do something wrong? Also, I remeasured body fat like 4 or 5 times and got everywhere from 10-14%.

How accurate do I need to be? I was going to aim for eating 1800 calories a day. Does that sound okay? Believe it or not, I have trouble meeting my caloric daily intake.

HERE IS MY TOTAL N00B ROUTINE

Petrie

Banned
Okay, cool!

So using the OP basic beginner routines, I put together this little fitness plan. Tell me what you guys think! I modified slightly and threw in a bunch of optional stuff if I'm feeling crazy active.

I'm mostly concerned about the BMR. I feel like that is incredibly low. Did I do something wrong? Also, I remeasured body fat like 4 or 5 times and got everywhere from 10-14%.

How accurate do I need to be? I was going to aim for eating 1800 calories a day. Does that sound okay? Believe it or not, I have trouble meeting my caloric daily intake.

HERE IS MY TOTAL N00B ROUTINE

You are 5'10 and 140lbs. You need to eat way more than 1800 calories, that's absurdly low. I'd be shooting for 2800-3200 a day easily if you want to make any real gains, especially with cardio being thrown in there. (I'd go higher than that with all that cardio).

At that height and weight though, eat all you can. And skip the ab ripper/P90x arms crap. Rest days are there for a reason: they are when your body grows. They are as important, if not more important that lifting days, and as the weights get heavier, you'll need them more and more.

Ekdrm2d1

Thanks guys.

Basically how I feel :p

No 45lb muscle up but I felt like I achieved some progress. Try again next week!

Oh well. No harm done, at least you tried!

Pyrokai

You are 5'10 and 140lbs. You need to eat way more than 1800 calories, that's absurdly low. I'd be shooting for 2800-3200 a day easily if you want to make any real gains, especially with cardio being thrown in there. (I'd go higher than that with all that cardio).

At that height and weight though, eat all you can. And skip the ab ripper/P90x arms crap. Rest days are there for a reason: they are when your body grows. They are as important, if not more important that lifting days, and as the weights get heavier, you'll need them more and more.

Oh man....seriously? Did I calculate my BMR wrong then? That means I'm burning 1545 calories a day, right? OP says to eat about 120% of your BMR if I'm trying to gain muscle, which puts me a little over 1800 calories. I thought only professional athlete level people should be eating 2x their BMR, as mentioned in the OP? I don't even think I could eat that much in a day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom