• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuC

I started decline 2 weeks ago, I think it's helping actually. Gonna keep with it.

I have to say though, it feels awkward and horrible. Do you widen your grip? I can't find a comfortable grip width.

I have stupid long arms, so I try not to go too wide, usually my ring finger is on the marking.

Shit work internet, can't watch the video.

Please explain to me how the decline bench is not an upside-down dip (I'm half serious). I've done declines a couple time when the flat benches are taken and it always feels weird; the weight feels heavier on the way down but somehow it goes back up easier than flat.

Hmmm, by that same token isn't flat bench just a push-up? I do decline because it takes my messed up shoulder out of the equation, never have any shoulder pain or fatigue when I do decline. That's the reason Dorain Yates says you should do a slow negative and explode with the weight, it feels heavier going down than it is coming back up.

Detox

If I'm struggling with adding the specified weights to overhead press each week do I stick with it or do something else to strengthen my shoulders? Everything else is going up as expected with novice gains.

I'm looking for someone to tell me that I shouldn't squat today. I've noticed that my knees have been buckling now that I'm at 280+, so I dropped weight in order to ease the pain and work on keeping them out. Now, my right knee is slightly swollen, so I know I shouldn't squat, but I'm very close to doing it anyway.

This is a bad idea, right?

edit: and if I don't squat, I'd love some suggestions as to what I can do instead. I still want to leave feeling as tired/sweaty as I normally do.

I'm doing SS (today is an A day).

Probably, because to compensate for your bad knee you are going to put additional stress on other joints.

Get on an elliptical and push the tension as high as you can handle.

I think the fact that my knee doesn't hurt when I'm able to squat properly is what's keeping me from abstaining, but you've mostly convinced me. It's usually on the fifth rep that I get into trouble.

grumble

I'm looking for someone to tell me that I shouldn't squat today. I've noticed that my knees have been buckling now that I'm at 280+, so I dropped weight in order to ease the pain and work on keeping them out. Now, my right knee is slightly swollen, so I know I shouldn't squat, but I'm very close to doing it anyway.

This is a bad idea, right?

edit: and if I don't squat, I'd love some suggestions as to what I can do instead. I still want to leave feeling as tired/sweaty as I normally do.

I'm doing SS (today is an A day).

Don't squat. Either do cardio instead, or just take it off. Sometimes a day off does wonders to your performance too!

despire

Welcome to the club my fellow condor, it's an awful club where deadlift is the only benefit of long arms, everything else is a pain in the ass.

Yeah, thanks :p

Everything else really is a pain in the ass. I've never considered myself having long arms but apparently I do. Well, can't help it so might as well just do what I can :)

Petrie

Banned
Regarding Quest Cravings PB Cups, had 2 today now that my gym carries them, I'll be sticking with the bars. They don't replicate Reeses closely enough to satisfy. The PB is just too hearty, not creamy.

Pretty good though.

Huge props to all the advice folks and I've learned a crap-ton of proper form, proper lifting techniques.

3 guys walk in today...tried deadlifts with 3 plates on each side...rounded backs...

I haven't the heart to warn them. Was I the jerk? Granted I did try and talk to them about form (in the most friendly way possible) once before and got shot down.

FinKL

Is it normal to have grip strength problems with one hand and not the other or are there any grip strength exercises to work on to improve grip strength?

I'm getting to heavy deadlifts and dumbbell side bends and my left hand grip just refuses to hold the weight after a few reps, it just gives in. I haven't pinned it down if it's just a side dominance thing, or the fact that I've lost sensitivity in my left index/middle finger after crushing them a few years ago.

Is the over/under hand grip the way to go once you start hitting heavy weights?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Huge props to all the advice folks and I've learned a crap-ton of proper form, proper lifting techniques.

3 guys walk in today...tried deadlifts with 3 plates on each side...rounded backs...

I haven't the heart to warn them. Was I the jerk? Granted I did try and talk to them about form (in the most friendly way possible) once before and got shot down.
No. Let people lift with their jacked up and dangerous form. Only try to help friends.

blackflag

Regarding Quest Cravings PB Cups, had 2 today now that my gym carries them, I'll be sticking with the bars. They don't replicate Reeses closely enough to satisfy. The PB is just too hearty, not creamy.

Pretty good though.

Yeah that was my exact thought when I tested them. That was my feedback to them as well. They actually did change the recipe and they are better now but still not close enough. I'd probably eat them if they were filled with fiber. That's my best justification for quest bars.

Unless I'm lifting with them or know them personally, I won't say anything. Just let them screw up their form. ;)

Is it normal to have grip strength problems with one hand and not the other or are there any grip strength exercises to work on to improve grip strength?

I'm getting to heavy deadlifts and dumbbell side bends and my left hand grip just refuses to hold the weight after a few reps, it just gives in. I haven't pinned it down if it's just a side dominance thing, or the fact that I've lost sensitivity in my left index/middle finger after crushing them a few years ago.

Is the over/under hand grip the way to go once you start hitting heavy weights?

For me this was definitely the way to go, and it makes a huge difference in the amount you can hold. How's the grip on the bar itself? Is it pretty smooth and worn down? I find that this also makes a big difference as to whether or not I can keep the bar in my hands.

quoted for emphasis. God I hate doing Insanity.

I've found doing hiit on stationary bike to be pretty cool.

Same here, I'm about to break out my bike to avoid doing Insanity, that shit really is no joke.

When do you guys do Insanity? I'm trying to figure out where I would squeeze it in? I do Tues/Wed/Fri/Sat. Was just thinking of doing it just Saturday for now, after my workout. Same concept would hold for HIIT or hill sprints. Just do it on Saturday.That way, I can recover Sun and Mon.

blackflag

=/

I really have no idea what to do. Might just do some LISS or once or twice a week, some Insanity.

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

fuck you shawn t.

I'm waiting to see what prep coach puts me on. I hope it ain't some concentration camp diet with crazy cardio but I don't think he rolls like that. I know he's gonna have me doing cardio though. It's been a few months.

So working out when your sick. Bad idea? Had a bad cold for 5 days. Yesterday was the worst day. Still feeling run down and congested but I was thinking of doing my pull up and ab routine for about 30-45 min.

abuC

When do you guys do Insanity? I'm trying to figure out where I would squeeze it in? I do Tues/Wed/Fri/Sat. Was just thinking of doing it just Saturday for now, after my workout. Same concept would hold for HIIT or hill sprints. Just do it on Saturday.That way, I can recover Sun and Mon.

I did it in the mornings, I plan on doing the insane abs portion pretty much every other morning and on the days I don't ride my bike I'll do boxing or the Cardio+Balance part. I don't need the strength parts of Insanity, so I'll just cut them.

blackflag

I did it in the mornings, I plan on doing the insane abs portion pretty much every other morning and on the days I don't ride my bike I'll do boxing or the Cardio+Balance part. I don't need the strength parts of Insanity, so I'll just cut them.

How long does it take? I was just thinking of doing some abs program or something.

blackflag

So working out when your sick. Bad idea? Had a bad cold for 5 days. Yesterday was the worst day. Still feeling run down and congested but I was thinking of doing my pull up and ab routine for about 30-45 min.

It depends on how you feel. When I have colds I usually workout but your body will pretty much dictate what you can do.

I can lift with colds, can't do cardio with colds. F a cardio anyways :)

It depends on how you feel. When I have colds I usually workout but your body will pretty much dictate what you can do.

I can lift with colds, can't do cardio with colds. F a cardio anyways :)
Thanks will do what my body lets me. It let me whack it this morning so I think I can do this.

Noema

Anyone else not really feel it in their legs when thy squat? I dunno I definitely get winded and struggle like when I did 5x330 today but I didn't exactly feel it in my legs. Then I do leg press with 20 plates and I'm like aghhhhhhhh I'm dying.

Normal?

Maybe it's just similar to chest. Flat bench I benched 335 last week and although I felt it, incline db press shreds my chest. I guess it's probably because of the higher rep range....I think I'm just being dumb and paranoid.

You squat low bar? I've never ever gotten a quad pump on squats when doing low bar. My ass and my back, yes, but not my legs.

velociraptor

What is the proper way to do a bent over row? Also, how much weight is one supposed to use? I weigh 67kg but when I use 65kg, it almost feels like I'm about to fall over (when I'm on the last rep or two). Also, I tweaked my back today :\ (I started off light - at 50kg, and incrementally increased to 65kg).

Cudder

What is the proper way to do a bent over row? Also, how much weight is one supposed to use? I weigh 67kg but when I use 65kg, it almost feels like I'm about to fall over (when I'm on the last rep or two). Also, I tweaked my back today :\ (I started off light - at 50kg, and incrementally increased to 65kg).

You're using too much.

blackflag

You squat low bar? I've never ever gotten a quad pump on squats when doing low bar. My ass and my back, yes, but not my legs.

Yep, actually my first et yesterday the bar was higher up and my back naturally stayed more vertical, like it should on high bar, and I definitely felt it more in my legs.

IceCold

What's the best way to increase your arm size (bicep/tricep and forearm)? Most of my arm exercises come from compound movements. I do a couple of bicep curls here and there but nothing crazy. But I'm getting discouraged because my arms are puny (always have been) and I can tell they are a bit bigger but the improvement is minor. If the calf/neck/arm ratio is true, then I have to increase my arm size by ~3 inches.

It's like god placed gave all my muscle growth genes to my legs and ass. Fuckin sucks.

blackflag

What's the best way to increase your arm size (bicep/tricep and forearm)? Most of my arm exercises come from compound movements. I do a couple of bicep curls here and there but nothing crazy. But I'm getting discouraged because my arms are puny (always have been) and I can tell they are a bit bigger but the improvement is minor. If the calf/neck/arm ratio is true, then I have to increase my arm size by ~3 inches.

It's like god placed gave all my muscle growth genes to my legs and ass. Fuckin sucks.

What's the calf/neck/arm ratio?

I usually do 3 exercises of 3 or 4 sets each for biceps on chest day, and triceps on back or shoulder day.

Cudder

So outside of curls you don't exercise arms? How else do you expect them to grow? You probably need the best genetics in the world to get substantial arm growth just from compounds. Put a full arm day in your routine, son.

abuC

Work your tricep if you want your arms to be bigger, the bicep is the glamour muscle but the tricep is really the one that drives the boat. Add a session where you 3 sets of each Dips, skullcrushers, extensions, Hammer curls, concentration curls and BB curls, that's a good way to start out for an arm day.

IceCold

So outside of curls you don't exercise arms? How else do you expect them to grow? You probably need the best genetics in the world to get substantial arm growth just from compounds. Put a full arm day in your routine, son.

Well I do some tricep pull downs and dips. Otherwise I work my arms from doing pull ups, rows, bench, OHP, etc.

To be fair, I think he is doing SS.

I did SS for a while and got some good gains from it size wise, but felt most of my improvements came from my lower body. Also doing squats 3x a week is brutal.

I'm doing this now:

Day 1

4x Squats: 5 reps
3x Ham Work: 8 reps - I'm doing stiff legged deadlift for that
3x DB Row: 8 reps
2x Bicep Curls: 10 reps

Day 2

4x Bench Press: 5 reps
3x Military Press: 8 reps
3x Tricep Isolation: 8 reps - I'm doing tricep pull downs for that
2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

Day 3

4x Deadlifts: 5 reps
3x Pullups: 8 reps
3x Leg Press: 8 reps
2x Biceps Curls: 10 reps

Day 4

4x DB or Incline Press: 5 reps
3x BB Bench Press : 8 reps --> I added this to try and fix the symmetry of my pecs.
3x Chest Dips: 8 reps
3x Side Lateral Raise: 8 reps
2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

It's nothing crazy, but I like it since the workout doesn't take too long (I'm sure you could fit this in a 3 day split) and it hits all muscle groups twice a week.

What's the calf/neck/arm ratio?

I usually do 3 exercises of 3 or 4 sets each for biceps on chest day, and triceps on back or shoulder day.

They should all be the same size for symmetry.

Are you on SS?

And are you doing pull downs properly? Don't be like me and have it come all the way back up to the head. Still upset over that one.

abuC

Well I do some tricep pull downs and dips. Otherwise I work my arms from doing pull ups, rows, bench, OHP, etc.

I listened to everyone saying don't hit your biceps, and what I learned was you need to hit them. That indirect stuff isn't how the majority of people with large arms got that way, since I started focusing on them they exploded. Give yourself a dedicated arm day, once or even twice a week and they will grow.

Pyrokai

No it isn't. It is a criticism of the routine, not the individual. When someone comes in and posts about "ab blaster plus" routine and asks what we think, it seems appropriate to simply point them to the OP, tell them that won't be effective for their goals, and let them try and learn something, then return with questions.

Take Pyrokai on this very page. He came in having clearly read the OP and done some work himself, but with misunderstandings and questions: so I've gone out of my way to help and point him in the right directions and better info. Users like him are the ones worth that time and effort to help. Those who just want to be spoon fed? Fuck that.

And I thank you!!! You've been a huge help and this thread is fucking fantastic, if not just a bit overwhelming.

One more concern/question about the beginner routine: I know it's being called "full body" and stuff like that, but I just want the assertion that this routine IS INDEED as well rounded as I can get. What would be a little bit of a discouragement for me would be realizing that, say, a certain muscle group was barely being worked out. It's not lacking in back or arm routines and such, right?

I'm pretty excited to start. When I do start (this weekend), I'm gonna concentrate on form and just use the bar for my first week or two. Probably all I can handle anyway, lol.

IceCold

I listened to everyone saying don't hit your biceps, and what I learned was you need to hit them. That indirect stuff isn't how the majority of people with large arms got that way, since I started focusing on them they exploded. Give yourself a dedicated arm day, once or even twice a week and they will grow.

Yeah, I may have to do some modifications. But I don't know if I should do a body split workout like that.

Are you on SS?

And are you doing pull downs properly? Don't be like me and have it come all the way back up to the head. Still upset over that one.

Check my post above.

Nah, I stop at a 90 degree angle. I used to do laying tricep extensions thouh (rippetoe's way) but found the exercise pretty awkward.

blackflag

Yep, my arms were lagging. Then I was like screw it and now they are 18 inches, More with a pump. They exploded.

Still don't have a peak though.....:(

What is a typical arm day?

I don't plan on doing anything special until August/Sept but am curious on what you guys do.

Yeah, I may have to do some modifications. But I don't know if I should do a body split workout like that.

Check my post above.

Nah, I stop at a 90 degree angle. I used to do laying tricep extensions thouh (rippetoe's way) but found the exercise pretty awkward.

gotcha. I will let the bigger armed guys answer that and then follow their advice.

abuC

Yep, my arms were lagging. Then I was like screw it and now they are 18 inches, More with a pump. They exploded.

Still don't have a peak though.....:(

No peak here either, but hoping maybe when I finish my cut they will get more pronounced.

What is a typical arm day?

I don't plan on doing anything special until August/Sept but am curious on what you guys do.

gotcha. I will let the bigger armed guys answer that and then follow their advice.

Well, I do this now -

(Chest/Bicep day)
* Biceps Straight Bar Curl 5 sets x 15 reps
* Single Arm Dumbbell Curl 3 sets x 12 reps
* Single Arm Preacher Curl 3 sets x 10 reps
* Hammer Curl 2 sets x 12-15 reps
* Forearms Reverse Curls 6 sets x 15 reps

Triceps (Shoulder & Trap day)
* Triceps Cable Extension 4 sets x 15 reps
* Single Arm Extensions 3 sets x 15 reps
* Close-Grip Bench Press 3 sets x 8 reps
* Superset: French Press 3 sets x 8 reps
* Dumbbell Kickbacks 3 sets x 12 reps
* Dips 3 sets of 15 reps

I was doing biceps 2 to 3 times a week a year ago, this routine allows me to hit them again if I need to, which so far I've only done once. The second time I hit them doesn't have as much volume, but I go a bit heavier. My arms are long, so I have to hit them extremely hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom