• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

how close are your hands supposed to be on close grip bench to hit the tris the best?

I usually put them just inside shoulder length, but I see some people hold the bar right in the middle with both hands touching each other..

blackflag

how close are your hands supposed to be on close grip bench to hit the tris the best?

I usually put them just inside shoulder length, but I see some people hold the bar right in the middle with both hands touching each other..

Good question, I was going to do this later today for the first time and I don't know either.

edit: You go shoulder width for close grip? That's my regular bench width.

grumble

Trutein man...I'll never switch.

I use I-PLX (whey isolate blend) from precision nutrition, the chocolate flavour. I swear to god this stuff is like an actual treat. Mixed up with water or even better milk, it tastes like goddamn heaven. I chug it and genuinely look forward to drinking it every day. It's got great contents too, two of their mini-scoops is 50+g/protein, and no carbs or fat and mixes easily.

Haven't tried a lot of the other brands but I'll be at a health and fitness expo this weekend, I'll sample a bunch of bars/powders and report back.

Stolen from the P90X thread

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-ne...s-lot-chicken-become-wolverine-223632622.html

According to Jackman, timing is everything when he's pouring on those calories. "When you're bulking, you're just eating so much food," Jackman said. "What I do is I eat in an eight hour period, it's all the rage this diet now. It's called the 16-8 diet. For sixteen hours of the day, I fast, so I don't eat. Between ten in the morning and six o'clock at night … I eat 5,000 calories. And then I eat nothing … it's more about, 'This is a disgusting amount of food, I can't eat another bite.' I literally talk to myself like I'm training – 'One more mouthful, c'mon man! You can do it! Just one more mouthful! Half a chicken breast to go and then you've got it! Just two meals left!'"

Wolverine does IF.

Still does not do leg work.

blackflag

I use I-PLX (whey isolate blend) from precision nutrition, the chocolate flavour. I swear to god this stuff is like an actual treat. Mixed up with water or even better milk, it tastes like goddamn heaven. I chug it and genuinely look forward to drinking it every day. It's got great contents too, two of their mini-scoops is 50+g/protein, and no carbs or fat and mixes easily.

Haven't tried a lot of the other brands but I'll be at a health and fitness expo this weekend, I'll sample a bunch of bars/powders and report back.

If they have Trutein, try it....hnggg so good. Cinnabun is heaven.

It's so good to cook with too because it is a whey/Casein/egg white mix. Makes baked goods actually fluffy.

Pyrokai

Okay, guys. I'm officially ready to start and I'm going to start Sunday (have it all planned out, and this will give me a good couple days to watch videos and stuff to try and get the form correct.

I already posted a semi-starting post, but this is my real one:

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 140lbs

Goal: To gain muscle without increasing my body fat (and preferably keep reducing it). Ideally, when all is said and done, I would like to have a "swimmer's build". That's my dream and I hope to achieve it. Therefore, I don't want to look to "bulky", but I realize this won't magically happen and such. I just want low body fat percentage, I guess (how low is too low??)

Current Training Schedule: What I put together is found here. Just the beginner routine from the OP

Current Training Equipment Available: Full gym

Comments/Concerns: Lots of these, lol....

1. I plan on doing this for a month and see how I feel about at the end and if I want to make any modifications. Of course, I'll ask you guys for your advice if I'm not sure what to do, and I'll report back my progress.

2. I won't be well-rounded enough. My ideal routine is one that won't include isolation exercises at all, but I know that will be nearly impossible. I'm going in on trust that the beginner routine IS well-rounded enough that I won't have to worry about this for a while.

3. I don't have anyone to exercise with, so I'm going to be trying to do this all alone at the gym. I'm worried I'll screw up my form and not know it. Also typical gym anxiety, too.

4. Eating properly. I set my caloric goal (seen in my routine link) to 3000 calories a day to eat (give or take 200 or so). I've been eating Paleo pretty religiously for a few months now and I love it, but meeting a calorie goal like that on a "whole food" diet is harder than eating protein bars all the time. I DID find a nice Paleo protein bar recipe that I might try, though :) . My MAIN question here though is: On Rest Days and I DON'T do cardio, should I still shoot for this much or am I allowed to not eat as much?

5. Seeing as this is OT5, I'm assuming I've missed a lot. I'm sure all 5 threads are gold mines of info, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking repeat questions. I'll search as best as I can, but hey.....it's a lot of words!

That should be about it for now, I hope! You guys rock!

Question, Has anyone ever made home made protein bars? I've heard a lot of people doing this with lots of success and wanted to feel out if anyone here has, or what recipe to use. Thanks!

Okay, guys. I'm officially ready to start and I'm going to start Sunday (have it all planned out, and this will give me a good couple days to watch videos and stuff to try and get the form correct.

Goal: To gain muscle without increasing my body fat (and preferably keep reducing it). Ideally, when all is said and done, I would like to have a "swimmer's build". That's my dream and I hope to achieve it. Therefore, I don't want to look to "bulky", but I realize this won't magically happen and such. I just want low body fat percentage, I guess (how low is too low??)

Current Training Schedule: What I put together is found here. Just the beginner routine from the OP

1. I plan on doing this for a month and see how I feel about at the end and if I want to make any modifications. Of course, I'll ask you guys for your advice if I'm not sure what to do, and I'll report back my progress. My main concern (after looking at some of the exercises) is that it's a bit too.

2. I won't be well-rounded enough. My ideal routine is one that won't include isolation exercises at all, but I know that will be nearly impossible. I'm going in on trust that the beginner routine IS well-rounded enough that I won't have to worry about this for a while.

3. I don't have anyone to exercise with, so I'm going to be trying to do this all alone at the gym. I'm worried I'll screw up my form and not know it. Also typical gym anxiety, too.

4. Eating properly. I set my caloric goal (seen in my routine link) to 3000 calories a day to eat (give or take 200 or so). I've been eating Paleo pretty religiously for a few months now and I love it, but meeting a calorie goal like that on a "whole food" diet is harder than eating protein bars all the time. I DID find a nice Paleo protein bar recipe that I might try, though :) . My MAIN question here though is: On Rest Days and I DON'T do cardio, should I still shoot for this much or am I allowed to not eat as much?

5. Seeing as this is OT5, I'm assuming I've missed a lot. I'm sure all 3 threads are gold mines of info, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking repeat questions. I'll search as best as I can, but hey.....it's a lot of words!

My thoughts.

2) If you want to do some isolated arm work, go for it. I would do it at the end though. Don't let it impact your progress on the main lifts though. That being said, you will prolly see more gains in your lower body than upper but progress will be made regardless.

3) Don't worry about the other people there. Honestly, no one cares about what you are doing. You are to focus on yourself and get bigger and stronger.

4) You can try to still shoot for 3K if you want. I feel like it is more of a guideline than anything. You are still learning. Just don't get obsessive like I was in the past and be upset that you didn't eat enough protein for the day.

Keep us updated and ask away. We are all here to help.

Cudder

1. I plan on doing this for a month and see how I feel about at the end and if I want to make any modifications. Of course, I'll ask you guys for your advice if I'm not sure what to do, and I'll report back my progress. My main concern (after looking at some of the exercises) is that it's a bit too.

5. Seeing as this is OT5, I'm assuming I've missed a lot. I'm sure all 3 threads are gold mines of info, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking repeat questions. I'll search as best as I can, but hey.....it's a lot of words!

why dont you just do p90x?

kylej

Banned

I shift my hand over one hand width. So where my thumb is for regular bench, I'll shift my hands in and my pinky will be on that spot.

Pyrokai

why dont you just do p90x?

Is the only reason you say this because I mention a swimmer's build? May I ask why you suggest this as opposed to just weightlifting?

When someone says they want a soccer build or swimmers build, all I can think is "then go do that shit".

Well, I want to give weightlifting a chance. Just to gain some muscle. After I do this for a month, I want to see where I stand. I just say that to give you guys an idea of what I'm AIMING for in the long term.

Petrie

Banned
Is the only reason you say this because I mention a swimmer's build? May I ask why you suggest this as opposed to just weightlifting?

Well, I want to give weightlifting a chance. Just to gain some muscle. After I do this for a month, I want to see where I stand. I just say that to give you guys an idea of what I'm AIMING for in the long term.

There is some truth to the "do the thing you want to be good at". Weight training can still have benefits, but if you want to look like a swimmer, train like a swimmer.

I'm curious to see if your opinion will change after a few months.

every time I reach a goal the goalposts move. Its never "enough".

Matugi

Pumped up my HIIT today. 11 MPH for 40 seconds then 6 MPH for a minute, and did this for 6 sets. I was definitely feeling it.

Pyrokai

I'm curious to see if your opinion will change after a few months.

Somehow I totally missed your reply from earlier! Read it now, though. Thanks for the input.

AAAAAAANNNNNDDD I also just realized my number 1 is not a complete thought hahaha. How did that happen? Don't even remember what I wanted to say.

every time I reach a goal the goalposts move. Its never "enough".

Not only that but I remember when first starting, I just wanted to look good. Don't really care about pushing that much weight. I wanted a physique like the magazine models.

Now all of it is changed. I want a strong looking physique (fuck a abs) and to be strong as fuck. Don't get me wrong! I still want to cut and lean out but not sacrificing my strength to get there.

Not all of it anyway :p

blackflag

Not only that but I remember when first starting, I just wanted to look good. Don't really care about pushing that much weight. I wanted a physique like the magazine models.

Now all of it is changed. I want a strong looking physique (fuck a abs) and to be strong as fuck. Don't get me wrong! I still want to cut and lean out but not sacrificing my strength to get there.

Not all of it anyway :p

But your God has abs

exarkun

I get a bit of hate for doing circuits at my commercial gym. Doing anything along with chests only gets my bench stolen from me and the dude acting like he never saw me use the bench. And I don't even take that much time between sets. Anyone run into this?

Petrie

Banned
I get a bit of hate for doing circuits at my commercial gym. Doing anything along with chests only gets my bench stolen from me and the dude acting like he never saw me use the bench. And I don't even take that much time between sets. Anyone run into this?

I fall into if you are using another piece of equipment, you no longer have claim to the previous one. Equipment is limited and if that's the only bench and you've left it, at best its mine, and at worst I am working in.

andycapps

I fall into if you are using another piece of equipment, you no longer have claim to the previous one. Equipment is limited and if that's the only bench and you've left it, at best its mine, and at worst I am working in.
Yeah if you leave it I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to use it.

Say you're doing a circuit on 3 pieces of equipment and people are waiting. Would you expect them to keep 2 pieces open for you while you're on the one?

A couple of the guys at my gym try that. Luckily it's just with the pullup bars in the cages so it's not too annoying.

If the gym is crowded don't do circuits. If the gym is always crowded then come at different time when it's less busy or find another gym. You expecting people not to use 2 or more pieces of equipment for several minutes is the douchiest thing you can possibly do in a gym outside of maybe curling in the squat rack.

You're not more important than everyone else, so stop acting like you are.

kylej

Banned
If you want to do circuits do them at 5am or 10pm. Nobody wants to deal with the dumbass running around the gym who's leaving towels and shit all over the place to "stake his claim".

Petrie

Banned
If you want to do circuits do them at 5am or 10pm. Nobody wants to deal with the dumbass running around the gym who's leaving towels and shit all over the place to "stake his claim".

Yep. I toss that shit aside if I see them on new equipment. You don't get to take up more than 1 piece at a time. You can use more than 1 in a circuit if nobody else is interested, but you have zero claim. I'm going to go about my workout with the membership I pay for.

Yeah if you leave it I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to use it.

Say you're doing a circuit on 3 pieces of equipment and people are waiting. Would you expect them to keep 2 pieces open for you while you're on the one?

The only time I don't see an issue is if the 2 pieces are connected. Say you're using a rack to squat and it has a pullup bar attached and you're doing sets in between squats? Go to town. Independent equipment? Go to hell, I got shit to do.

abuC

Took me 4 months to find out my gym has free parking available to members, I wasted atleast $100 on meters in the municipal lot.

andycapps

The only time I don't see an issue is if the 2 pieces are connected. Say you're using a rack to squat and it has a pullup bar attached and you're doing sets in between squats? Go to town. Independent equipment? Go to hell, I got shit to do.

Yup, agreed.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Saw a trainer curling on the squat rack using more hip drive than a crossfiter doing pull ups. How embarrassing. He was probably 6'4 and even with all the rocking he was struggling with 115! lol

Obligatory new page pic!

curl+2.jpg

Zukuu

Banned
Supplements. Anything that's worth the money? Don't really want something that messes up my blood pressure, just something that literally supplements the training, next to protein shakes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This woman made it over to the muscles appreciation thread and I just wanted to say I'm smitten. What incredible arms.

QDF7nww.jpg

blackflag

Supplements. Anything that's worth the money? Don't really want something that messes up my blood pressure, just something that literally supplements the training, next to protein shakes.

Not really man. Save your money for the most part.
- multivitamin - orange triad is the best..has full dose of glucosamine in it also
- fish oil - orange oximega is the best IMO...don't cheap out on this.. Make sure it specifies the exact amount of EPA and dha.
- protein - if you need it to hit your macros
- creatine - if you want. Studies back it. It's cheap..get plain creatine monohydrate

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wow! Seriously? Her body is repulsive to me. Does have a cute face it appears. Attractiveness is so subjective.

I usually prefer a bit of softness but that is...right up my alley. And I didn't know it before.

Zukuu

Banned
Not really man. Save your money for the most part.
- multivitamin - orange triad is the best..has full dose of glucosamine in it also
- fish oil - orange oximega is the best IMO...don't cheap out on this.. Make sure it specifies the exact amount of EPA and dha.
- protein - if you need it to hit your macros
- creatine - if you want. Studies back it. It's cheap..get plain creatine monohydrate

Sounds strangely alluring to mix all of those together xD

Protein + Creatine shake it is then. How much gram should I mix into 500 ml milk from each?

Found this, recommendable?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom