• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
FitnessGAF, advise me. Lately I've been more aware of my health and looking into fitness as well. I've been reading Starting Strength. I work out at home; and I realize that the low-bar squat cannot be done without a Squat Rack.

As such, I may have to rely on Front Squats until I can afford to get myself rack in my home gym. Unfortunate, as I realized it just after I finished reading Mr. Rippetoe talking up Low-Bar Squats like crazy.

My question is, will Front Squats do me justice as a person just beginning strength training, or would learning Low-Bar form while saving some money to get a Squat Rack to do Low-Bar Squats be better?

rando14

FitnessGAF, advise me. Lately I've been more aware of my health and looking into fitness as well. I've been reading Starting Strength. I work out at home; and I realize that the low-bar squat cannot be done without a Squat Rack.

As such, I may have to rely on Front Squats until I can afford to get myself rack in my home gym. Unfortunate, as I realized it just after I finished reading Mr. Rippetoe talking up Low-Bar Squats like crazy.

My question is, will Front Squats do me justice as a person just beginning strength training, or would learning Low-Bar form while saving some money to get a Squat Rack to do Low-Bar Squats be better?

Front squats work your body a little different, but I'd definitely recommend going through with front squats if low bar aren't possible

Noema

Front Squats are better than nothing, that's for sure. The only limit will be how much you can clean since that's how much you'll be able to Front Squat without a Squat Rack.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Front squats work your body a little different, but I'd definitely recommend going through with front squats if low bar aren't possible

Front Squats are better than nothing, that's for sure. The only limit will be how much you can clean since that's how much you'll be able to Front Squat without a Squat Rack.
Thanks guys. Front Squats will be my substitute until then.

I will be able to buy myself a rack next month; there isn't a downside to switching from Front Squats to Low-Bar Squats when it's possible, right?

Noema

I will be able to buy myself a rack next month; there isn't a downside to switching from Front Squats to Low-Bar Squats when it's possible, right?

What do you mean "downside"? I mean, your skin is not gonna fall off or anything, but there's a learning curve. They are different movements, but there's a bit of carryover. You'll in fact be able to low bar squat significantly more weight than what you can front squat.

You'll be fine. Just stick with low bar for a while once you get your rack.

Petrie

Banned

Just treat low bar as new and don't try to go heavy quick. Practice the form with just the bar like every life when the time comes.

so here's my result after my first month IF and SS
i1rS0m8vNyWH5.jpg

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I don't think I can do this. I was about to go out for my very first day, and then I started watching YouTube videos on how to do squats, deadlifts, and such, and I just don't think I can do it. It looks so hard to do it right without an expert nearby, and I have no one to go with to check my form and make sure I'm doing it right and....I dunno....I'm starting to think a personal trainer might be best to ask how to do these exercises properly, just for a week or two.

I also might be moving in a couple weeks to another city depending on how an interview goes this Friday....so...I don't know if this is the right time. I need to focus on nailing this interview. Just wanted to vent to you guys...

PTs are a gamble, without knowing any background on them you're just as (if not more) likely to get someone who doesn't know squat (pun unintended) as someone who does. Have you got Starting Strength - the book? Even if it's not perfect, it really is one of the best resources available for learning the main lifts. Anyway, don't worry that much. Just start with the bar and slowly progress. No-one has perfect form the first time they try a lift, nor are they likely to have it 5 years down the track for that matter.

Pyrokai

Okay, okaaaay.....I never went today but I'll try again tomorrow, I guess. My two biggest hurdles are going to be:

-Doing the exercises right (I just know I'm going to hurt myself) and effectively
-Eating enough food (that isn't junk)

Seriously. Getting enough calories is something I struggle with when I'm not even being active, yet alone weight lifting. I guess I'll just start eating pure coconut oil and shoving butter on everything I cook. I eat Paleo, so anything with grain is out. Those Quest Bars, however, seem like a decent bar, although I wouldn't say they're Paleo by any chance, haha. Could be an easy 170 calories. Seem pricey, though.

I could also make my own, but that's even MORE cooking. I'll wait until a have a nice groove going.

One question: Since I'm doing the OP Beginner workout....for the squats, it says 3 sets of 5. Should I do one set of front squats, one set of high bar squats, and one set of low bar squats per day?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, okaaaay.....I never went today but I'll try again tomorrow, I guess. My two biggest hurdles are going to be:

-Doing the exercises right (I just know I'm going to hurt myself) and effectively

Seriously. Getting enough calories is something I struggle with when I'm not even being active, yet alone weight lifting. I guess I'll just start eating pure coconut oil and shoving butter on everything I cook. I eat Paleo, so anything with grain is out. Those Quest Bars, however, seem like a decent bar, although I wouldn't say they're Paleo by any chance, haha. Could be an easy 170 calories. Seem pricey, though.

I could also make my own, but that's even MORE cooking. I'll wait until a have a nice groove going.

One question: Since I'm doing the OP Beginner workout....for the squats, it says 3 sets of 5. Should I do one set of front squats, one set of high bar squats, and one set of low bar squats per day?

Start light and you're unlikely to hurt yourself. Choose one type of squat (high bar or low bar) and stick with it.

SeanR1221

You can very easily do this on paleo. Last I checked sweet potatoes are fine.

Stop making excuses like you'll injure yourself. Just educate yourself and do it. Everyone here will help you, but people won't tell you it's ok to make excuses like that.

Just do either high or low bar squats and stick to that. Don't switch it up, just pick one and stay consistent.

Pyrokai

Oh man, I was gonna try the Front Bar squat, but I do feel either the low or high is better. Thanks for letting me know. That actually makes it a bit easier. Any advantage one has over the other at all?

Also, for my first week, I'm just going to be using the bar ONLY without any weights attached, except maybe the deadlifts which I'll place a low weight on only so I can reach it on the ground without bending too low.

And yes, I bought a crap ton of yams today at the grocery store :p

You should start deadlifting with a 45 pound/20 kilo plate on either side unless your gym happens to have lower weights plates that are an equivalent size. Anything smaller than a 45 plate is not high enough off the ground and is not a good idea for learning correct form.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I was gonna try the Front Bar squat, but I do feel either the low or high is better. Thanks for letting me know. That actually makes it a bit easier. Any advantage one has over the other at all?

Also, for my first week, I'm just going to be using the bar ONLY without any weights attached, except maybe the deadlifts which I'll place a low weight on only so I can reach it on the ground without bending too low.

And yes, I bought a crap ton of yams today at the grocery store :p

Most will generally do low-bar, as you can handle more weight, but depending on your individual anthropometry you may find high-bar more comfortable. Start with low-bar and keep at it for at least a few months, as you learn more about the movements and your own mechanics you can evaluate whether or not you want to change. Front squat is much harder than both (in terms of weight being moved) and is not especially suited for loading on a novice progression. It also requires a lot more in terms of core stability, breathing, wrist flexibility and upper back strength/activation, so if you're worried about getting technique right as you start out it's probably best to stay away from it for a while.

Don't rigidly stick to using the bar only for any period of time: if the weight is too low to challenge you you won't be doing your form any favours. Start with the bar for your first session, but if you can handle more weight progress it as programmed, otherwise you'll just be spinning your wheels. As roosters said, you want something the height of an Olympic 45lb/20kg plates for a conventional deadlift. If 60kg is too much to start out with then use bumper plates if your gym has them or use lighter plates and sit them on something to reach the appropriate height.

Noema

This is how you go full retard

Biceps pose before attempt? Check

Max attempt on incline bench, an assistance exercise? Check.

Over 100lb more than you could handle? Check

Partial ROM? Check

Yell "Let go!" as the spotter is trying to save you? Check

Blame Spotter? Check

Upload to YouTube yourself, so everyone can see your folly? Check check check!

fullretardonincline-o.gif

abuC

This is how you go full retard

Biceps pose before attempt? Check

Max attempt on incline bench, an assistance exercise? Check.

Over 100lb more than you could handle? Check

Partial ROM? Check

Yell "Let go!" at the spotter as he's trying to save you? Check

Blame Spotter? Check

Upload to YouTube yourself, so everyone can see your folly? Check check check!

LMAO!

That video is hilarious, the nerve of that clown to blame the spotter.

steveovig

Well, I was practicing my low-bar squat today while my trainer was with a client in the background. He noticed this and told me I was leaning too far forward. I told him I was doing a low-bar squat and he had never heard of it. Maybe I should have called it a powerlifting squat or something. He did say that I was leaning way forward so I suspect my form was off but it was interesting that he had never heard of that squat. It's nice to know that a soon-to-be PT knows something that a real PT doesn't.

Phandy

Loving 5/3/1, I get to set PB's every month!

I also seem to be able to smash my 1+ sets every week. Was tired this morning, had rested my legs a little because I pulled my groin playing football, was worried I would barely get my 1 rep for squats.... smashed out 5! So pumped, I just go crazy for my +1's.

Also that video.. areyoukiddingme.jpg

Detox

Well, I was practicing my low-bar squat today while my trainer was with a client in the background. He noticed this and told me I was leaning too far forward. I told him I was doing a low-bar squat and he had never heard of it. Maybe I should have called it a powerlifting squat or something. He did say that I was leaning way forward so I suspect my form was off but it was interesting that he had never heard of that squat. It's nice to know that a soon-to-be PT knows something that a real PT doesn't.
I had a PT tell me I was going too narrow on my deadlifts and told me my legs and arms should be really wide like close to the weights on either end. I just nodded and carried on how SS recommends it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm kicking off Carb Nite today to shed that last 10kg of fat before I am at 13%, I just want to speed up the process with a month or two of rigorous discipline.

30g of carbs is practically carb free. Any suggestions on what to eat?

Detox

When bulking up as a novice do you want to increase your body fat? I only ask because I tested mine on that machine where you grip the bars and it told me I only have 13% should I eat fatty foods to increase it or is it fine?

I just ate two cake donuts from Donut Bank. I wish I had a Fitness GAF hotline I could call so they could talk me down off this ledge. I feel so icky inside now. I should have stopped at one but nooo. Piggy had to have two.

Tash

Wait what? WTF. How do people get certified?!
Even a noob like me knows what a low-bar squat is. Seriously, do people working in a specific field not want to be as knowledgeable as possible?

Chittagong

Gold Member
How tall and heavy are you? 1900 Cals sounds quite low, no?

6 feet 2. 98kg. Macros should be +200g protein, 30g carbs for Carb Nite. That set of macros doesn't yield much more calories than this unless I add pure fat (olive oil etc)...

Kyaw

When bulking up as a novice do you want to increase your body fat? I only ask because I tested mine on that machine where you grip the bars and it told me I only have 13% should I eat fatty foods to increase it or is it fine?

Don't just eat more for the sake of gaining fat. Eat more to fit with your Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

As a novice you'll gain some muscle mass as you bulk up (eat 500 calories more than your TDEE) and also some fat. You can obviously eat at a less surplus (say 200 calories over TDEE) and do a slower bulk.

Make sure you get enough protein too. 1g for 1lb of body weight. (This formula is actually for lean body mass but since you can't get that value quite accurately, stick to total body weight for now)

Don't just eat fatty foods, eat a balanced diet with whole foods. (No processed foods) Don't be afraid of fat either, things like olive oil and fish oil are good.

TDEE calculators and nutritional resources:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

http://www.eatthismuch.com/

And a general resource on everything: http://simplesciencefitness.com/

Detox

Thanks a lot, I didn't research the nutritional side as much as I did with the lifts. Those links are very useful, appreciate it.

Matugi

Made my first attempt at making protein pancakes. They are chocolate and banana, but (un)fortunately taste just like regular pancakes. 40 calories and 6g of protein per pancake.

Petrie

Banned
Made my first attempt at making protein pancakes. They are chocolate and banana, but (un)fortunately taste just like regular pancakes. 40 calories and 6g of protein per pancake.

The trick I can't master is getting them to not be so dry. I just bury them in sugarfree syrup.

Darren870

I think I need to try and put on some more weight again. Down to 80kg at 5'11. Muscle mass seems to be going away. Though I still continue to increase the weight when I lift.

I'll put up some pictures on Sunday.

Chittagong,
You going to the meet up in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom