• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuC

Damn so isolation work is really the only way huh.

Yeah I notice my posterior delt is smaller too, but I do bent over rows which should hit that area.

I would honestly prefer barbell exercises since the most dumbbells I have at home are 10 lbs.

You don't need a lot of weight for lateral raises, start off with the 10lbers, then if you need to just buy 20-25lbs dumbbells. I shoulder press a lot, but I don't go any higher than 25lbs for lateral raises since you can really jack up your shoulder with the wrong movement / too heavy a weight.

Well there are upright rows, though those can be hard on the shoulder.

That's what messed up my shoulder.

Lamel

Banned
You don't need a lot of weight for lateral raises, start off with the 10lbers, then if you need to just buy 20-25lbs dumbbells. I shoulder press a lot, but I don't go any higher than 25lbs for lateral raises since you can really jack up your shoulder with the wrong movement / too heavy a weight.

That's what messed up my shoulder.

Alright thanks for the tips. How many reps/sets should I be looking at for lateral raises?

I'd rather stay away from upright rows, heard they are horrible for rotator cuff injuries.

Anyone got any good lunch recommendations? Right now, I'm stuck with places like either KFC, pizza, McDonalds, and Wendy's near my place. I would bring my own... but people in my company likes to dip touch other people's stuff in the fridge. That's the main problem, otherwise I'd just dig up some recipes. If not, I'll bring my own and probably lock it up.

Mully

Anyone got any good lunch recommendations? Right now, I'm stuck with places like either KFC, pizza, McDonalds, and Wendy's near my place. I would bring my own... but people in my company likes to dip touch other people's stuff in the fridge. That's the main problem, otherwise I'd just dig up some recipes. If not, I'll bring my own and probably lock it up.

Grill chicken and mash sweet potatoes for the week. Bring a cooler to work with chicken and mashed sweets in tupperware for the week.

I finally feel 100% comfortable and confident doing squats, and I feel like my form is finally where it needs to be to hit it hard. I was able to put up 235 x10 on my 5th set yesterday, felt like I could've done it another 4-5 times but I was winded, and this was AFTER a 6 mile bike ride.

With some fresh legs and no caffeine bumping my heart rate I think I could probably put up like 325, which would be just shy of 2x my body weight. RAWR

Noema

Finished second wek of modified SS (4 workouts with workload so far). Man making my gains every workout is nice. I still can't squat as much as I can bench =( which is a great indicator that years of long distance running have turned my legs to mush.

Ended up with
215x5x3 Squat
230x5x3 Bench
235x5x3 Deadlift
120x5x3 Press

Anyone looking for a great low carb super protein meal should give this a shot. Tastes Goddamned amazing.

That's pretty good for a second week of SS. Don't worry about your bench bing higher than your squats. They'll catch up pretty soon.

One thing to keep in mind is that you should. only do 1 set of 5 on deadlifts. It's not an issue now since weights are still light, but as they get heavier so much deadlift volume might be hard to recover from.

Le-mo

Has anybody in here pulled a hamstring? I pulled my hamstring on my right leg last year. At the time I didn't know it was a pulled hamstring so I assumed it would heal by itself. I went to a doctor this year and she confirmed that it was a pulled hamstring so she gave me pills to take to relieve the inflammation and instructed me to do some stretches. The problem is it doesn't seem to be of any help. In two months it will be a year since I tore my hamstring. How long does it usually take to heal?

Mully

Has anybody in here pulled a hamstring? I pulled my hamstring on my right leg last year. At the time I didn't know it was a pulled hamstring so I assumed it would heal by itself. I went to a doctor this year and she confirmed that it was a pulled hamstring so she gave me pills to take to relieve the inflammation and instructed me to do some stretches. The problem is it doesn't seem to be of any help. In two months it will be a year since I tore my hamstring. How long does it usually take to heal?

Give yourself at least a month off from any type of hamstring exercise.

So I took yalls advise and started eating more (2800 workout days/2200 rest days) at 6'2 185lbs and skinnyfat. After 2 days my weight has shot up to 188. As a previously fat kid, it just worries me a bit. The weight gain should slow down right? Going for my first workout eating at a surplus, hopefully I can get my squats past 165lbs...pretty depressing I've pretty much stalled a few weeks into SS

So I took yalls advise and started eating more (2800 workout days/2200 rest days) at 6'2 185lbs and skinnyfat. After 2 days my weight has shot up to 188. As a previously fat kid, it just worries me a bit. The weight gain should slow down right? Going for my first workout eating at a surplus, hopefully I can get my squats past 165lbs...pretty depressing I've pretty much stalled a few weeks into SS

You need to find a balance bro. I totally understand the whole weight gaining thing being troubling (I was also heavy and lost a lot of weight). You could eat more and you will definitely gain weight, but you will also be able to lift heavier. Hardest thing is to maintain your body weight while increasing your lifts. It's hard but not impossible; good friend of mine benches over 2 plates, pull ups with 100lbs attached, deadlifts about 3 plates. He weighs about 145 lbs and 5'9- 5'10''.
So essentially it's really whatever makes you feel better; gain weight lift heavy and eventually cut, or try another method that makes you happiest.

You need to find a balance bro. I totally understand the whole weight gaining thing being troubling (I was also heavy and lost a lot of weight). You could eat more and you will definitely gain weight, but you will also be able to lift heavier. Hardest thing is to maintain your body weight while increasing your lifts. It's hard but not impossible; good friend of mine benches over 2 plates, pull ups with 100lbs attached, deadlifts about 3 plates. He weighs about 145 lbs and 5'9- 5'10''.
So essentially it's really whatever makes you feel better; gain weight lift heavy and eventually cut, or try another method that makes you happiest.
Thanks, Ive been eating about maintenance since I started a few weeks ago, and have only been able to increase the weights about once a week. I'll try above maintenance for a few weeks, and see how it changes. If I'm still not able to increase weight every day, I'm not sure where to go from there

ToxicAdam

5-6 lbs shifts in weight aint shit. I can do that in the course of one day.

Throw away the scale and trust the mirror*.

(* especially mirrors that are near side-lighting)

SeanR1221

Dude, I went up 11 pounds after my honeymoon. Don't worry about it.

Mully

I'm likely going to be down to 194 later this week and hopefully to 188 in a few more. I'm in the final and most difficult phase of my cut where eating clean is essential.

For the past week, I've been eating this routinely.

Breakfast:

1.5 cups of Better 'N Eggs (about 4.5 - 5 eggs)
1 cup of Special K Protein Cereal
Dash of milk
2 scoops of ON protein in water

Lunch:

3 grilled thin chicken breasts
1 Mashed Sweet potato

Dinner:

1 cup of weight watchers mexican cheese
2 Carb balance flour tortillas
2 grilled thin chicken breasts
2 tbsp of salsa del rio

Snacks:

2 Chobanis
1 scoop of ON protein in water

It's certainly not as tasty as other things, but it's simple and cheap enough to get everything for under $40 each week.

Was able to complete my squats at 165lbs. Don't think I went as low as I could have, but I finished them and felt stronger than Wednesday. It's light weight, but feels like progress for me. Repeat 165 monday with better form or go to 175?

abuC

Was supposed to do chest/biceps today, put that off until tomorrow and decided to give my shoulders a 2nd day this week. Didn't max or anything, just did a lot of reps and hit my traps, farmers walks are fantastic for traps. Gym was empty so I had free reign to do a couple of quick walks with some heavy ass dumbbells.

My traps are growing, can see them through my hoody from behind, has me feeling like -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ccB6T6fb4I

_Isaac

Was able to complete my squats at 165lbs. Don't think I went as low as I could have, but I finished them and felt stronger than Wednesday. It's light weight, but feels like progress for me. Repeat 165 monday with better form or go to 175?

I don't think that's light at all. In what way was your form compromised?

Noema

You should only do the same weight two workouts in a row if you didn't complete all the reps. Since you successfully completed them then you should go to 175lb. Otherwise you are not doing the program.

ACE 1991

I'm really unsure if I should keep bulking or reduce calories at this point. I'm definitely bigger and stronger then before, but I also have some unwanted fat, mostly because I've been forced to dirty bulk on my university meal plan. I will have full control over my dietary for good in the next few days, though. Going on a cut seems counter productive because I'm still pretty unmuscled but I fear bulking anymore will just bloat me up more. Here is what I currently look like: http://imgur.com/a/Vemlo

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm really unsure if I should keep bulking or reduce calories at this point. I'm definitely bigger and stronger then before, but I also have some unwanted fat, mostly because I've been forced to dirty bulk on my university meal plan. I will have full control over my dietary for good in the next few days, though. Going on a cut seems counter productive because I'm still pretty unmuscled but I fear bulking anymore will just bloat me up more. Here is what I currently look like: http://imgur.com/a/Vemlo

You're not skinny fat, just a little overweight, so I would cut first. At a lower BF% your torso will v up more and your pecs will flatten out and you'll look better.

ACE 1991

You're not skinny fat, just a little overweight, so I would cut first. At a lower BF% your torso will v up more and your pecs will flatten out and you'll look better.

Thanks for the response, EvilLore. If I keep protein intake up and am careful about not over-reducing calories, should I retain most of my muscle and strength? I'm currently running a beginner full body program that's noted as being pretty forgiving to those on a cut: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933

EDIT: Also most of my chest fat is due to gynecomastia, and this is not self-diagnosed. I plan on getting that shit removed at some point in the future when the rest of my body is where I want it.

Had an average day at the gym yesterday. I felt tired, even though I was well and rested. I guess I didn't eat enough?

I think bench press finally clicked with me.

Squat: 65 kg **NEW PR**
Bench press: 40 kg **NEW PR**
Deadlift: 70 kg **NEW PR**
Bent rows: 42,5 kg

I really want to underline how much I enjoy Deadlifting! :)

Also woke up this morning and noticed my traps are looking big/huge! O_O

Darren870

Thanks for the response, EvilLore. If I keep protein intake up and am careful about not over-reducing calories, should I retain most of my muscle and strength? I'm currently running a beginner full body program that's noted as being pretty forgiving to those on a cut: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933

EDIT: Also most of my chest fat is due to gynecomastia, and this is not self-diagnosed. I plan on getting that shit removed at some point in the future when the rest of my body is where I want it.

You have the same exact frame and build is me. You just need to watch what you eat more then the chest fat and other fat will slowly go away.

Omni

Hey guys. Just looking for some advice.

Height: Umm, a tad under 6 foot.
Weight: Haven't weighed myself in years.
Goal: Weight loss
Current Training Schedule: About twice a week I run 6-10km at the gym.
Current Training Equipment Available: An entire gym I guess.
Comments:

Here is a progress picture of my weight loss so far. Left pic is earlier this year and right is today. I have a bit of fat on my stomach that I can't get rid of... and it's driving me insane. Doesn't matter if I increase my exercise (started running 10km instead of 5km and still no change). It's just eh

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hey guys. Just looking for some advice.

Height: Umm, a tad under 6 foot.
Weight: Haven't weighed myself in years.
Goal: Weight loss
Current Training Schedule: About twice a week I run 6-10km at the gym.
Current Training Equipment Available: An entire gym I guess.
Comments:

Here is a progress picture of my weight loss so far. Left pic is earlier this year and right is today. I have a bit of fat on my stomach that I can't get rid of... and it's driving me insane. Doesn't matter if I increase my exercise (started running 10km instead of 5km and still no change). It's just eh

Your ribs are showing. You're very skinny already. Hit the weights and up your protein if you want to improve your aesthetics from here, don't go lower.

Matugi

Well carb night was fun, except I didn't have any real carbs just 7.5 bud lights. Rectified that this morning with a trip to waffle house where I got a chicken breast, a bowl of oat meal, and four egg whites

Veezy

que?
I'm not super mega anything, but my understanding is that there are two types of overtraining: local and systemic. In systemic overtraining, you've fried your nervous system so you'll have weird symptoms like irritability, high heart rate, tired but can't sleep, a general feeling of being trashed, reduced overall performance, etc. In local overtraining, it's when you slam your muscles with excessive frequency, intensity and volume and they don't have the time or resources to recover properly, making them actually weaken or plateau over time. Imagine doing 30 sets of curls every day; you'd fuck up your biceps but the rest of your body might be okay. Now imagine doing 30 sets of deadlifts every day; you are going to deepfry your whole system.

Soreness is no indicator of properly training a muscle group. Some of my best progress has occurred in the absence of DOMS.

This is correct.

Local is dancing with injury while systemic is just overall inability to recuperate, which will lead to injury. Both are caused by excess volume, dependent on your level of training (seriously, novices, don't do PHAT or 5/3/1 or Texas Method), and inadequate fulfillment of needs surrounding recouping from training (food, water, sleep).

entremet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDVzOlqApvs

Jason Blaha calls out 'Lame Nordstrom' as a fake natural.

I've enjoyed his fake natural series. It really helped with my training and expectations. Like him I have no issues with drug use, but I do agree with the false expectation fake naturals give young trainees is damaging, so he's doing a good service.

Veezy

que?
Welcome back dude, haven't seen you in ages.

Btw, since you are the unofficial master of all things GSLP in this thread, here's a question. Would appreciate an answer very much. About the "Mass Gain Base with Rotating lifts" template in the book. I'm a bit confused if I should be doing incline bench every monday and decline bench every friday, leaving wednesdays for the press? Or should I alternate like normal?

So is it:
A) incline bench,
B) press,
C) decline bench,
A) incline bench,
B) press,
C) decline bench
etc..?

Or is it:
A) incline bench,
B) press,
C) decline bench,
A) press,
B) incline bench,
C) press
etc..?

Yeah, been dealing with getting employed, female drama, and enlisting in the Navy. Life's some fucking work, yo. Happy to be back. Fucking pumped for PS4.

As for your question, the answer is the second one. Your incline and decline just swap out for where the flat bench would be. PRESS MUST CONTINUE TO RISE. DEM SHOULDERS. DEM TRICEPS. DAT BALANCE. However, a slight tweak you could do, if you're not closing to maxing out your flat bench, is drop the decline and swap it for flat. There's a lot of debate on decline (I love it and it's worked great for me, but others hate it because, basically, it's cheating more weight than you can do flat) but incline is fantastic for shoulders and chest.

You can get even crazier with it, should you feel ballsy enough, and every few months swap your upper body working with dumbbells instead of barbells. On PHAT, when I'm pretty maxed on my presses and bench, I just swap them for hella heavy dumbbells. Max out on those, jump back and all my upper body lifts go up.

I've enjoyed his fake natural series. It really helped with my training and expectations. Like him I have no issues with drug use, but I do agree with the false expectation fake naturals give young trainees is damaging, so he's doing a good service.

My favorite part of working at BB shows was working with "naturals" versus naturals. It was a blasty blast when you knew who was who. More drama than a drag show, those events.

despire

Yeah, been dealing with getting employed, female drama, and enlisting in the Navy. Life's some fucking work, yo. Happy to be back. Fucking pumped for PS4.

As for your question, the answer is the second one. Your incline and decline just swap out for where the flat bench would be. PRESS MUST CONTINUE TO RISE. DEM SHOULDERS. DEM TRICEPS. DAT BALANCE. However, a slight tweak you could do, if you're not closing to maxing out your flat bench, is drop the decline and swap it for flat. There's a lot of debate on decline (I love it and it's worked great for me, but others hate it because, basically, it's cheating more weight than you can do flat) but incline is fantastic for shoulders and chest.

You can get even crazier with it, should you feel ballsy enough, and every few months swap your upper body working with dumbbells instead of barbells. On PHAT, when I'm pretty maxed on my presses and bench, I just swap them for hella heavy dumbbells. Max out on those, jump back and all my upper body lifts go up.

Thanks for clarifying. That's what I've been doing.

Also I'm doing flat/incline since I can't do decline anyway at my gym.

Imm0rt4l

Was just coming to post this. I thought layne competed at 190, but either weight is stupid high for a natural at his height. Gh15s assessment was the same for what its worth and noted layne hiding that his biceps got bigger during contest prep.

*eats popcorn

Things are gonna get interesting.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Two new PRs!

21 pull-ups
6:04 mile

Gonna get sub-6 next time I run, I guarantee it! (Last time it was 6:18, so yeah, made some improvements.)

entremet

Was just coming to post this. I thought layne competed at 190, but either weight is stupid high for a natural at his height. Gh15s assessment was the same for what its worth and noted layne hiding that his biceps got bigger during contest prep.

*eats popcorn

Things are gonna get interesting.

I think they deleted the thread on BB.com lol.

SeanR1221

You're positive you have gyno? Like you have a lump under your chest?

I'm not trying to question your doctor but I thought for sure I had it. Went to two doctors, both touched my chest once and immediately said nope. That if it just feels marbly like belly fat, it's not gyno.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is there an essential book about bodybuilding like Starting Strength is about lifting? Something that covers programming and nutrition, basic physiological principles on muscle growth etc.

I don't know what I'm doing so right in this cut that I'm breaking PRs every workout, not complaining!

Did 4 clean bench reps of 80kg (177lbs) today, 5th rep my ass got off the bench so I didn't count it.

Less than 2 years ago I have never benched, started with the empty bar, and for a long while I thought I will forever bench around 70kg, never imagined unracking 80kg, let alone rep it.

f0nz0

Is there an essential book about bodybuilding like Starting Strength is about lifting? Something that covers programming and nutrition, basic physiological principles on muscle growth etc.

Arnold's encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding

Edit: haven't really posted on here in a bit, but still been lifting pretty regularly, trying to cut some weight for a cancun trip comin up in July, also been focusing on my back a bit more

V0IuTcLl.jpg

Only problem is I tweaked it about a week ago, I was doing to high rep bent over rows and pulled my left lat, been laying off back work, seems to be feeling better but I'm still gonna let it heal completely before I get back on it (no pun intended).

Seen a lot of pictures on here recently though, great progress from all.

Kwhit10

Haven't posted in a long time, I've been lurking though, been much busier the past 6 months with the new job.

But I've been doing 5/3/1 for a while and this was the first week I tested out my max on OHP and BP. I've gained 10 pounds from the new job from more sitting and commuting (though the commutes is about to severely drop) so I'm up to 185lbs.

I was able to reach a max of 280lbs on the BP and 175lbs on the OHP.

I was hoping to get my bodyweight on the OHP but just couldn't get there, so that is the new goal, and now I will reset my 5/3/1 max which is (lower than the calculated max by about 10-15lbs on both lifts) and start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom