• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at the gym: personal trainer has his client do barbell bench presses with resistance bands strapped to the bar. Which has plates on it.

What is your point? It's essentially the same as doing it with chains. The weight gets heavier as you go up and the bands start to tighten. It's one of the best ways to break a plateau and/or teach explosiveness at the start of the movement.

I know making fun of trainers is cool but in this case he clearly knew something you didn't.

There is this one gorgeous dope girl in my gym that must be a fitness figure competitor. She was such a beast in the gym yesterday. My kinda girl. A chick that lifts is a rarity here in NYC as most girls are more into cardio, SoulCycle, yoga and Barrys Boot Camp type classes.

Mully

That feeling when you squat so hard your jaw aches at the end of a workout.

Squatted 260 for 6 today on a 3X3 week of 5/3/1.

Today at the gym: personal trainer has his client do barbell bench presses with resistance bands strapped to the bar. Which has plates on it.

What's up with that? I've seen that a lot over the past few months. Also, aren't you on your trip or did you come home early?

Zozobra

holy shit,. woah :D

I often have a hard time reaching my daily intake of a whopping 150 grs.

you guys should try swallowing unprepared protein powder, would be much faster and less annoying than eating. :)

Heh, probably 120-150g of that protein is going to be via whey protein powder, I'd be eating all day otherwise, I got other shit to do!

You should probably put down upwards of 4k a day, just on principle. When I was overweight I was maintaining my weight at over 6k a day...but that was a lot of fat to keep on. I'm happier now.

Ok cool, I appreciate the input, man. Cheers.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What is your point? It's essentially the same as doing it with chains. The weight gets heavier as you go up and the bands start to tighten. It's one of the best ways to break a plateau and/or teach explosiveness at the start of the movement.

I know making fun of trainers is cool but in this case he clearly knew something you didn't.

It wasn't for breaking plateaus. It was part of a Swiss Ball campaign of overcomplicating every exercise to keep the trainer necessary to the process.

The Chef

Update!

Here was my post pic from 6 weeks ago:
ibhmS2WYh1Oxal.jpg

Weight: 173lbs

6 weeks later and eating like a horse I am currently weighing 178.
i2skMFYSJSGit.jpg
iSlFZWohM21Tl.jpg

On top of this I havent been able to bench 225 like ever. Now after gaining some weight I just put up 235 today. SO pumped!

abuC

Does anyone get DOMS after they eat? That seems to happen to me a lot, I'll wake up without any soreness of any kind, then after I eat my muscles that I worked the previous day start to sing the song of pain.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Back to finishing my squats at 355x5 today! Also cranked out 32 pull ups in a row in between my 1st and 2nd set of squats! F yeah!

blackflag

It wasn't for breaking plateaus. It was part of a Swiss Ball campaign of overcomplicating every exercise to keep the trainer necessary to the process.

Yeah i was gonna say that this isn't unusual for someone doing westside training or something but if the trainer is doing it with some random....waste of time at best.

Imm0rt4l

haha-time-for-deadlift.jpg

mfw deadlift day

So I've been going to this gym for a year or so, and never had any problems. As I finish my last set of deadlifts this big brolic dude says "I'm a manager here and I know that's over 400 lbs, it's heavy weight, but can you try and keep it down".

wut

Oh, I'm sorry I thought this was Gold's Gym...

had I known my lifting would annoy your meek ass sensibilities than maybe I'd have applied at Planet fitness, at least they get free pizza.

It's a new guy that works here that complaining, a lot of the other staff lifts heavy and makes all sorts of noise when doing pin presses and other movements so I'm going to keep doing me.

Caelus

I've been doing kettlebell exercises for a week now. They're absolutely fantastic, and I've never sweated that much during a workout before (to the point where I slipped on the floor due to my own sweat >_> ), but I've been working with 10 lb kettlebells and now they're too easy. I won't be able to purchase a higher weight until the weekend, so how can I increase the difficulty of my workouts with what I have? More repetitions? Exercises?

blackflag

mfw deadlift day

So I've been going to this gym for a year or so, and never had any problems. As I finish my last set of deadlifts this big brolic dude says "I'm a manager here and I know that's over 400 lbs, it's heavy weight, but can you try and keep it down".

wut

had I known my lifting would annoy your meek ass sensibilities than maybe I'd have applied at Planet fitness, at least they get free pizza.

It's a new guy that works here that complaining, a lot of the other staff lifts heavy and makes all sorts of noise when doing pin presses and other movements so I'm going to keep doing me.

That's crazy, just keep doing it or aware one of the other workers. I go to Gold's too and that shit is wrong.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I've been doing kettlebell exercises for a week now. They're absolutely fantastic, and I've never sweated that much during a workout before (to the point where I slipped on the floor due to my own sweat >_> ), but I've been working with 10 lb kettlebells and now they're too easy. I won't be able to purchase a higher weight until the weekend, so how can I increase the difficulty of my workouts with what I have? More repetitions? Exercises?

You've run into the problem with doing kettlebell work at home rather than somewhere that has a large variety of sizes available. Consider getting an adjustable one.

Caelus

You've run into the problem with doing kettlebell work at home rather than somewhere that has a large variety of sizes available. Consider getting an adjustable one.

Adjustable kettlebells? I've never heard of those before, but they sound awesome. I'll definitely search them up, thanks!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Worked some leg curls into my rotation - they're giving me more on the hamstrings than squats are. My squats feel like 100% quads, no hamstrings, so this seems like a wise choice to add it to the rotation.

rando14

Worked some leg curls into my rotation - they're giving me more on the hamstrings than squats are. My squats feel like 100% quads, no hamstrings, so this seems like a wise choice to add it to the rotation.

be like me, superset squats with heavy leg curls :cool:

#death

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
be like me, superset squats with heavy leg curls :cool:

#death

I need to get my hamstrings up to snuff then that's probably going to be the plan, that way I get a lot of what I need. Felt great, was a good workout anyhow then I slammed the fuck out of a shake. So damn satisfying. Now I made some eggs with milk like FE says to. Not bad...

Update!

i2skMFYSJSGit.jpg
iSlFZWohM21Tl.jpg

On top of this I havent been able to bench 225 like ever. Now after gaining some weight I just put up 235 today. SO pumped!

good ish dood.

Master roshi is that you

Master Roshi it is.

mfw deadlift day

wut

keep on keepin on. deadlift heavy and hard.

----------

Squats. 10 reps @ 335 lbs. My legs. HYPED. Celebrated with a large meatball pho with extra meatballs. Currently weighing in at 226. More cuts? Let's do it.

I need to get my hamstrings up to snuff then that's probably going to be the plan, that way I get a lot of what I need. Felt great, was a good workout anyhow then I slammed the fuck out of a shake. So damn satisfying. Now I made some eggs with milk like FE says to. Not bad...

my man!

Also, I have transcended past eggs with milk.

BEHOLD! THE ULTIMATE SCRAMBLED EGGS!

No need for creme fresh as I don't use it. But seriously, it is the best scrambled eggs I have ever made or eaten for that matter.

abuC

mfw deadlift day

wut

He better have got an incredulous "I wish a muthafucka would" stare from you.

Szu

is this guy wearing those weird merman shoes with the form of the toes? are they comfortable? and are they good for training?

I see people wearing them for jogging in the park but not for strength training or in the gym.

If I recall, I think AlienShogun wore them.

Szu

Update!

Great work!!!

Mully

is this guy wearing those weird merman shoes with the form of the toes? are they comfortable? and are they good for training?

I see people wearing them for jogging in the park but not for strength training or in the gym.

It's just for comfort. Some people enjoy doing Deadlifts and Squats barefoot, but others like doing barefoot with Vibrams.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
What are some good triceps exercises, if possible using only weights/my body weight?

Dips and Lying Tricep Extensions (not sure if "weights' includes a curl bar + plates or not)

Vibrams? I love them, but they're not for everyone. I wear them for running and lifting.

Imm0rt4l

I believe they're good for deadlifting. A lot of people swear by dead lifting barefoot. I wear chucks.

velociraptor

What is the general consensus on lifting straps?

I'm trying to do DB squats with about 37kg in each hand but I just can't do it properly - the weight feels like it's going to fall out of my hands after 5-6 reps.

It feels like my grip is really limiting me; which is also problematic when I try to do DB rows.

Or is there an alternative way to improve grip strength?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I'm trying to do DB squats with about 37kg in each hand but I just can't do it properly - the weight feels like it's going to fall out of my hands after 5-6 reps.

It feels like my grip is really limiting me; which is also problematic when I try to do DB rows.

I do some DB squats myself, around that weight, I hold them low like a hook - the grip is tough but I adjusted how I hold them for a DB squat and I do ok. It ain't easy though.

Are you trying to strengthen your legs or your handshake? Straps are fine. I started using them for dead-lifts on working sets only. My warm-up sets are improving my grip strength as I'm lifting heavier and heavier. At least for me, my hands are progressing slower than my posterior chain.

Also, 3 plates on my deadlift Tuesday, felt pretty cool. My squat will be at 3 plates by Saturday and that's pretty daunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom