• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it is some sort of offseason pic of Arnold. Can help keep things in perspective that even Arnold didn't look like Arnold 24/7.

taken from reddit where it was taken from here

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Eating more and working out less has continued to work. I cut my working out down to 3 days a week, shortened my workouts(GSLP 20 minutes and 15 minute HIIT) and started eating between 2000-2500 calories a day consistently rather than between 1500-2000.

Down some more pounds this week. I'm getting my resting metabolic rate tested on Monday. I'm assuming its probably higher than I expected. I must have been in starvation mode for a long ass time. Eating 1500 calories a day and working out 6 days a week for an hour and a half probably put me at such a huge deficit and it kept me stalled.

Working 1/4 as hard, eating more food and finally losing weight.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Eating more and working out less has continued to work. I cut my working out down to 3 days a week, shortened my workouts(GSLP 20 minutes and 15 minute HIIT) and started eating between 2000-2500 calories a day consistently rather than between 1500-2000.

Down some more pounds this week. I'm getting my resting metabolic rate tested on Monday. I'm assuming its probably higher than I expected. I must have been in starvation mode for a long ass time. Eating 1500 calories a day and working out 6 days a week for an hour and a half probably put me at such a huge deficit and it kept me stalled.

Excellent to hear you've found what's going to work for you. :) Great news. Keep it up!

Kyaw

Fell backwards on one of the cleans while getting under the bar (going atg squat) yesterday. Was with personal trainer but it was sorta embarrassing.

Need to work on my drop speed, the pulls are fine according to the the trainer but the drop speed is slow and my elbows aren't as high as required.

It was nice to see my form in a recorded video to see what I was doing wrong/right and comparing it to an ideal lift from an olympic lifter.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Interesting, makes me wonder if I am in the same place because my weight loss has really slowed down, and whether one carb nite a week is enough to kick things off again. What are your measures? I'm 6 feet 2 / 97kg / 19%

Beyond bored today, so I figured I'd have you guys design a back workout for me to do tonight.

Rules:

Only machine assisted lifts allowed.
If my gym does not have suggested machine, I will replace it with a BB lift.
If I get to the gym and realize this machine lift is pointless/dumb, I will replace it with a DB exercise.
For every set with a failed rep. I will do a set of pullups for the number of rep that is failed.

Sounds fun!

If no one takes part I'm gonna be sad and quit FitGaf forever

Pete Rock

...shoes with the form of the toes? are they comfortable? and are they good for training?
I've worn my beat up base model Vibrams since I started back in the gym a year ago, love them.

Worse case, you might be confused for a Crossfitter. As I am only concerned with functionality, this is irrelevant.

No sock laundry is an added bonus, but you do need to put some tea tree oil on your feet before hand as well as washing them semi-regularly, otherwise they become disgustingly foul.

I also use them for disc golf and kayaking and other random activities so they are multipurpose, whereas I would not be able to say the same for a specific pair of "lifting shoes" with similar criteria on sole thickness/distribution.

Fell backwards on one of the cleans while getting under the bar (going atg squat) yesterday. Was with personal trainer but it was sorta embarrassing.
Be safe, for me personally cleans really require the most focus of all to be even worth executing at work set weight. The SS videos are all excellent, I picked up some good notes from this segment in particular, ie starting it exactly as a deadlift that turns into a jump, as opposed to thinking about it as some weird fucked up series of separate movements, which as we all know manifests poorly. Also if you are doing SS cleans he makes a point of saying that it is trained as he describes for a reason, it's not a front squat, or a clean into a jerk so you don't need to attempt atg on the catch.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Beyond bored today, so I figured I'd have you guys design a back workout for me to do tonight.

Rules:

Only machine assisted lifts allowed.
If my gym does not have suggested machine, I will replace it with a BB lift.
If I get to the gym and realize this machine lift is pointless/dumb, I will replace it with a DB exercise.
For every set with a failed rep. I will do a set of pullups for the number of rep that is failed.

Sounds fun!

If no one takes part I'm gonna be sad and quit FitGaf forever

Do you want a GOOD workout or a weird one?

Do you want a GOOD workout or a weird one?
A weird one really. I can make a good workout in my sleep. I'm mostly just trying to kindle my fitness flame and just do something different for a day, and at the same time see if anyone here knows anything about a single machine worth using or making useful.

EDIT: Wow this post reads super douchey. Sorry. :(

agrajag

Banned
A weird one really. I can make a good workout in my sleep. I'm mostly just trying to kindle my fitness flame and just do something different for a day, and at the same time see if anyone here knows anything about a single machine worth using or making useful,

ISO lateral one arm pulldowns!

Zozobra

Be safe, for me personally cleans really require the most focus of all to be even worth executing at work set weight. The SS videos are all excellent, I picked up some good notes from this segment in particular, ie starting it exactly as a deadlift that turns into a jump, as opposed to thinking about it as some weird fucked up series of separate movements, which as we all know manifests poorly. Also if you are doing SS cleans he makes a point of saying that it is trained as he describes for a reason, it's not a front squat, or a clean into a jerk so you don't need to attempt atg on the catch.

Did you mean to provide a link for the particular segment? This is one exercise that I really want to start doing, but even after watching all the vids on the SS wiki and reading up about it, I still don't entirely get the execution. In particular the whole jumping and shrugging part of it - I mean, are those supposed to be done in unison to cause the upward momentum of the bar?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A weird one really. I can make a good workout in my sleep. I'm mostly just trying to kindle my fitness flame and just do something different for a day, and at the same time see if anyone here knows anything about a single machine worth using or making useful.

EDIT: Wow this post reads super douchey. Sorry. :(

I don't even know how to fuck this thing up properly but uh...

Bench machine, do power cleans with it

nope I'm doing it wrong

caught this on reddit
NxLETuO.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still trying to get gym equipment, only thing I have is a damn speed bag which doesn't count imho.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
what does Fit-Gaf recommend in terms of a good bar to eat as a meal substitute?

Clif bars seem to have a ton of fat/sugar. Whats a good, healthy, filling bar to eat for lunch?

I'm not a huge lifter, I mostly run and do light chest and core work. So i'm not looking for anything that aims to add bulk or tons of energy.

I don't even know how to fuck this thing up properly but uh...

Bench machine, do power cleans with it

nope I'm doing it wrong
LOL, good effort my friend. Let's fix this. If only you could do powercleans in a cable machine without killing yourself/the machine. So I think you should go for rule 2 or 3. You could suggest reverse lat flies in a fly machine. In whcih case I would deem it silly and do the DB variant!

With the number of plates you'd probably load that bitch with I doubt anyone would call you out!
You know I've actually never used that machine? Incoming 2 plates and getting wrecked!

what does Fit-Gaf recommend in terms of a good bar to eat as a meal substitute?

Clif bars seem to have a ton of fat/sugar. Whats a good, healthy, filling bar to eat for lunch?

I'm not a huge lifter, I mostly run and do light chest and core work. So i'm not looking for anything that aims to add bulk or tons of energy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-LcIC5gtc

If you don't wanna make your own, just grab a snickers and some beef jerky, It's about as healthy as any bar.

SeanR1221

Ok something is seriously wrong and I need guidance.

On my first 5/3/1 cycle, 1s week. I was supposed to pull 320 for 1+. Leading up to it was 255 for 5 and 285 for 3. Easy enough when in week 1 I pulled 285 for 8, right? Wrong.

On 255 I could only pull 3. On 285 0. Yes. 0.

Something is off. Maybe it's doing power cleans first. Maybe it's the big but boring but Ive got to fix this. When I pulled 255 I felt this incredible tightness in my lower back and glutes like nothing I've ever felt before.

Zoe

No sock laundry is an added bonus, but you do need to put some tea tree oil on your feet before hand as well as washing them semi-regularly, otherwise they become disgustingly foul.

It may make me look like a dork, but I use Injinji socks with my Vibrams.

On my first 5/3/1 cycle, 1s week. I was supposed to pull 320 for 1+. Leading up to it was 255 for 5 and 285 for 3. Easy enough when in week 1 I pulled 285 for 8, right? Wrong.

Something is off. Maybe it's doing power cleans first. Maybe it's the big but boring but Ive got to fix this. When I pulled 255 I felt this incredible tightness in my lower back and glutes like nothing I've ever felt before.
How long has it been since your last cycle? And power cleans seem rather intense to do at the start of 5/3/1. The only premise of the plan is to be simple yet progressive. You don't throw in many (or any) extra lifts even if they're the best.

I say your options are:

Drop the power cleans.
Swap your main back lift (deads) with power cleans and 5/3/1 those.
Make power cleans your accessory lift (my suggestion)
Drop the weight. (This might be necessary, but there are so many variables that can trigger that kind of dip in strength. Need more info.)

Mully

It might be the power cleans. Focus on the main compound lift for that day and then do the other lifts.

SeanR1221

Well I'm talking to my lifting partner and his suggestions are...

Drop BBB squats and deads. I'm also doing BBB rows so he said its obvious why I'm fried.

Drop the start weight of my deadlift 30 pounds just for a cycle see how I feel, then I can jump higher.

Do 3x5 pendlay, front squat, RDLs as accessories on bench/squat/dead day respectively.

Drop power cleans or do them after deads/RDLs.

Edit: after talking and hashing it out more might be better to do 2x10 RDLs and front squats for a "pump" without killing myself.

Maybe try a 5/3/1 of pendlays to rest my power back.

Drop BBB squats and deads. I'm also doing BBB rows so he said its obvious why I'm fried.

Drop the start weight of my deadlift 30 pounds just for a cycle see how I feel, then I can jump higher.

Do 3x5 pendlay, front squat, RDLs as accessories on bench/squat/dead day respectively.

Drop the weight first for a cycle. Just to help see if there might be any underlying injuries or anything. You can always add the weight back on.

If it's the weight you can keep going as you've been doing just with lighter weight if that's what you wanna do, but I still suggest changing your workout to be more like BBB (that's like the big rule for the plan).

If it's not that than I would look into doing some of the other options I/your friend listed.

Vio-Lence

Banned

Edit: after talking and hashing it out more might be better to do 2x10 RDLs and front squats for a "pump" without killing myself.

Maybe try a 5/3/1 of pendlays to rest my power back.

If you have access to the 2nd edition of Wendler's 5/3/1, he has a template called simplest strength that I've been following for accessory work.

Main Lift - Accessory
Bench - Incline Bench
Squat - RDL
Deadlifts - Front Squats
Military Press - Close Grip Bench

Rep Ranges for the Accessory lift are something like
5s week - 10/10/8
3s week - 8/8/6
1s week - 5/5/5

I don't remember the percentages for the accessory lift, but I really like this template. I add rowing, curls, chins, and dips to days as I see fit. The only boring but big I like to use is for Squats.

Hmmm....

As mentioned, I do the Periodization Bible of 5/3/1 and I really do enjoy it. I might have missed it Sean, but are you trying to cut? What weight are you doing rows at?

Speaking of cuts, what a terrible week. Chili, pho, chicken wings, and just had a personal pan pizza with the co-workers.

Son I am disappoint.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm....

As mentioned, I do the Periodization Bible of 5/3/1 and I really do enjoy it. I might have missed it Sean, but are you trying to cut? What weight are you doing rows at?

Speaking of cuts, what a terrible week. Chili, pho, chicken wings, and just had a personal pan pizza with the co-workers.

Son I am disappoint.

I've just been assuming you haven't been cutting with these updates you've been giving us.

Just give in, FE. Re-bulk. Bulk...forever.

I'm in week 7 or so of the OP routine and haven't reset anything but I feel like my body is starting to break down. My hips are really achey after squats/deads and every rep is a god damned grind. I feel like I'm headed towards an injury.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in week 7 or so of the OP routine and haven't reset anything but I feel like my body is starting to break down. My hips are really achey after squats/deads and every rep is a god damned grind. I feel like I'm headed towards an injury.

How are you eating? Lots? I felt like I was falling apart then I made some diet changes and eat FAR more and my body is happier and attacks the workouts with vigor.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Had my first real cheat meal ever since I began my 1700 calorie/day cut three weeks ago!

Buddy of mine invited me to grab lunch at his new Chinese restaurant, so I took him up on it. I cheated a bit because I ran all the way there (about five miles), just to give me some calorie leeway since I knew I would eat a lot.

Boy, I don't remember the last time I basically inhaled plates of food like that. Had a whole thing of double-cooked chicken, cabbages, green beans, a bunch of white rice, drizzled over with some delicious sauce. Had an amazing iced coffee, plus one final fruit salad light mayo mix at the very end.

He was like, "Dude, it's like you haven't eaten in months." I told him it's basically been like that, haha.

Feels good, man.

Anyway, I've managed 22 pull-ups in a row! Never thought 25 would be a realistically achievable number for me, but that's my next goal.

Oh, and last I weighed myself, I'm down to 146 pounds (from like 153 or so), but I'm stronger now and lifting heavier than ever before. It's amazing. Gonna try to lose a couple more pounds, but I'm happy with where I'm at, just as long as I continue losing fat in my midsection (which is going great... getting to the point where I don't have a belly button lol).

Shall post progress pics at the end of the month for sure, but this cut has been great so far (all I've worried about is calorie intake; haven't stressed over carbs/proteins/fats much).

How are you eating? Lots? I felt like I was falling apart then I made some diet changes and eat FAR more and my body is happier and attacks the workouts with vigor.

I'm eating clean (keto with carbnites) but probably not enough food on keto days. Typical day of food is something like:

5 eggs/3 piece of cheese/4 slice bacon
Quest bar
Scoop and a half of whey
3 piece baked chicken, broccoli with cheese.

Eaten in an 8 hour window.

Anyone know some good spices or sauces to put on my chicken before I put it in the oven? I've tried the basics for a bit, just garlic salt, chili powder, and hot sauce, but I think I need to change it up a bit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm eating clean (keto with carbnites) but probably not enough food on keto days. Typical day of food is something like:

Quest bar
Scoop and a half of whey

I ran out of energy fast and was doing keto when I was doing SS. The well just simply dried up. It sounds like you need to reassess what you're going for. If you still want to lose weight, focus more on the diet and worry about maintaining your muscle. If you're ready to keep pushing up higher numbers, adjust your diet and introduce some carbs. I did, and it helped IMMENSELY with my numbers. I'm a little ehh because I've still got some tubb left on me, but soon I'll go to just cut weight and maintain my lifts and it will be a more significant loss.

Someone may be able to set me straight and point out ways I could have avoided the massive loss of energy while on keto w/SS but I'm just telling my personal story and how I got around it. Now I'm lifting more than I ever, EVER thought I physically could and as for keto - well, I'll be back. Just not yet.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I still maintain that is Dom DeLuise. I won't believe their lies.

I ran out of energy fast and was doing keto when I was doing SS. The well just simply dried up. It sounds like you need to reassess what you're going for. If you still want to lose weight, focus more on the diet and worry about maintaining your muscle. If you're ready to keep pushing up higher numbers, adjust your diet and introduce some carbs. I did, and it helped IMMENSELY with my numbers. I'm a little ehh because I've still got some tubb left on me, but soon I'll go to just cut weight and maintain my lifts and it will be a more significant loss.

Someone may be able to set me straight and point out ways I could have avoided the massive loss of energy while on keto w/SS but I'm just telling my personal story and how I got around it. Now I'm lifting more than I ever, EVER thought I physically could and as for keto - well, I'll be back. Just not yet.

It's a really hard mental switch for me since I've been trying to lose fat my entire adult life it feels like and I'm definitely not close to where I want to be from a BF% standpoint. Like I said, I'm not stalling but it's really starting to kick my ass. This is such a grey area in this thread, how do I keep going with the OP routine (more importantly, eat enough to have the energy for that sort of linear progression) while still losing BF.

bumpkin

Quest bar
Scoop and a half of whey

Holy cholesterol, Batman!

The main things I've been trying to watch in my diet -- just generally trying to trim up -- is saturated fat, cholesterol and sugar (and calories, to an extent). It's been about two weeks since I gave up drinking Pepsi and Coca-Cola; I've been drinking it since I was a kid. Doing that surely will help me shed some of the extra pounds. Combined with my new weight lifting and core routines, I'm hoping to be in pretty good shape in a few months.

blackflag

Quest bar
Scoop and a half of whey

That's not near enough fat.

SeanR1221

Drop the weight first for a cycle. Just to help see if there might be any underlying injuries or anything. You can always add the weight back on.

If it's the weight you can keep going as you've been doing just with lighter weight if that's what you wanna do, but I still suggest changing your workout to be more like BBB (that's like the big rule for the plan).

If it's not that than I would look into doing some of the other options I/your friend listed.

Yup weights are being dropped next week to make sure nothing is physically wrong. I think I'm just not recovering on BBB :/

If you have access to the 2nd edition of Wendler's 5/3/1, he has a template called simplest strength that I've been following for accessory work.

Main Lift - Accessory
Bench - Incline Bench
Squat - RDL
Deadlifts - Front Squats
Military Press - Close Grip Bench

Rep Ranges for the Accessory lift are something like
5s week - 10/10/8
3s week - 8/8/6
1s week - 5/5/5

I don't remember the percentages for the accessory lift, but I really like this template. I add rowing, curls, chins, and dips to days as I see fit. The only boring but big I like to use is for Squats.

Ah yes, I remember reading about this. That's worth trying and so is....

Hmmm....

Son I am disappoint.
This, the periodization bible. I'll keep you guys updated on what dropping BBB and moving back on the dead weights does for me.

blackflag

Our bodies are all a little different. I did Keto with SS for a year straight and rarely ever didn't get my lifts up. Plus I always add way more assistance. I had 36 hour carb load at least every other week though. That could be the difference but from talking to a lot of different people, I've come to the conclusion that Keto workouts work a lot better for some than others.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Been eating a ton of red meat lately and feeling the affects at the gym. A bit more strength the next day even lifting on a 18 hour fast. I don't know if it's psychological but it seems to be THE best source of protein for my body.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's a really hard mental switch for me since I've been trying to lose fat my entire adult life it feels like and I'm definitely not close to where I want to be from a BF% standpoint. Like I said, I'm not stalling but it's really starting to kick my ass. This is such a grey area in this thread, how do I keep going with the OP routine (more importantly, eat enough to have the energy for that sort of linear progression) while still losing BF.

I hear you and that was my situation. As an ex-fat (still not ideal by ANY means) I could go for another 3 months of keto and be a lot happier, but I got antsy and started SS. My simple advice to you is that if anyone else has ideas for keeping you on keto and adding food, try that - see if it helps. If not, accept that you CAN go back to keto and consume some carbs for your workouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom