• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy cholesterol, Batman!

The main things I've been trying to watch in my diet -- just generally trying to trim up -- is saturated fat, cholesterol and sugar (and calories, to an extent). It's been about two weeks since I gave up drinking Pepsi and Coca-Cola; I've been drinking it since I was a kid. Doing that surely will help me shed some of the extra pounds. Combined with my new weight lifting and core routines, I'm hoping to be in pretty good shape in a few months.

Don't confuse dietary cholesterol with blood cholesterol.

That's not near enough fat.

Yeah you're right now that I look at it. I need to start snacking more (pork rinds, pepperoni, cheese) and throw in more guac. I'm going to stick with keto and go even harder on carbnites, probably by turning them into carb all-fucking-days.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah you're right now that I look at it. I need to start snacking more (pork rinds, pepperoni, cheese) and throw in more guac. I'm going to stick with keto and go even harder on carbnites, probably by turning them into carb all-fucking-days.

I'm not sure if changing your carb nites themselves is the key, but here's a nice high-fat addition - if you dig it.

I get some pepper jack cheese, maybe some hot pepper cheddar, and get 2-4 slices of that and put a small stack of hard salami inside of that. Just the right amount of spicy and it's good and fattier than a bag of dicks. Good stuff.

I'm not sure if changing your carb nites themselves is the key, but here's a nice high-fat addition - if you dig it.

I get some pepper jack cheese, maybe some hot pepper cheddar, and get 2-4 slices of that and put a small stack of hard salami inside of that. Just the right amount of spicy and it's good and fattier than a bag of dicks. Good stuff.

louis_ck_660.jpg

sounds good!

You can still have some PB on keto, albiet a little but a little goes a long long way. Also you could just throw in more fattier meats. I did keto mostly just on ground turkey, cheese, and random veggies once.

abuC

I can't do close grip bench press, damn strained wrist, but was still able to violate my triceps with weighted dips (5x8x115lbs). Odd that my wrist hurts in the CGBP position but not when I do dips, and it just doesn't seem to get any better because I'm pretty much a careless clutz.

Feels good man, I can finally put on this shirt my Taiwanese brother from another mother got me, I've had it for 6 years now still in the package. The other shirt he got me was the same size, and I tried to put it on back then and it couldn't make it past my stomach and it exposed my man breasts. I put it on today and it looks like my arms are about to tear the sleeves and my chest is about to rip through it, that fat gut that prevented it from fitting before is no more!

Noema

Ok something is seriously wrong and I need guidance.

On my first 5/3/1 cycle, 1s week. I was supposed to pull 320 for 1+. Leading up to it was 255 for 5 and 285 for 3. Easy enough when in week 1 I pulled 285 for 8, right? Wrong.

On 255 I could only pull 3. On 285 0. Yes. 0.

Something is off. Maybe it's doing power cleans first. Maybe it's the big but boring but Ive got to fix this. When I pulled 255 I felt this incredible tightness in my lower back and glutes like nothing I've ever felt before.

I'd say PCs are burning you out before deadlifts. PCs are very intense, not only on your body and your CNS too.

And you are probably under recovered. What do you do for accessories?

The 285lbx8 was after Jamaica, right?

I'm eating clean (keto with carbnites) but probably not enough food on keto days. Typical day of food is something like:

5 eggs/3 piece of cheese/4 slice bacon
Quest bar
Scoop and a half of whey
3 piece baked chicken, broccoli with cheese.

Eaten in an 8 hour window.

That's nowhere near the amount of food you should be eating.

Also, do these every day (preferably at night after lifting, not before lifting)

http://youtu.be/y5EO8mPonO0

how do I keep going with the OP routine (more importantly, eat enough to have the energy for that sort of linear progression) while still losing BF.

You usually don't. SS is not designed to help lose body fat. It's designed to make you strong. Getting strong without putting on a bit of fat in the process is not easy, not at all.

You could try asking around in the Nutrition subforum in the SS boards. There are some very knowledgable people there.

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Hit some PBs tonight. OHP I got 185 for 5 and CGBP 265x5. I'm convinced it's all the red meat! My theory is that it has something to do with consuming fellow mammals and how our body utilizes it. Totally pulled it out of my ass but hey, that's why it's a theory! Haha

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hit some PBs tonight. OHP I got 185 for 5 and CGBP 265x5. I'm convinced it's all the red meat! My theory is that it has something to do with consuming fellow mammals and how our body utilizes it. Totally pulled it out of my ass but hey, that's why it's a theory! Haha

You can argue theory but you can't argue with results! Congrats. EAT MORE FLESH

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Got heat stroke last week and now I'm probably suffering from heat exhaustion/dehydration. 190lbs yesterday... Sucks....I could only cgbp 308x4 this past weekend. Wanted to get consistent and lift 2-3 times per week but I'm gonna have to hold that off. :(

LOL

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Well, red meat is high in creatine, for one.

SeanR1221

I'd say PCs are burning you out before deadlifts. PCs are very intense, not only on your body and your CNS too.

And you are probably under recovered. What do you do for accessories?

The 285lbx8 was after Jamaica, right?

That's nowhere near the amount of food you should be eating.

Also, do these every day (preferably at night after lifting, not before lifting)

http://youtu.be/y5EO8mPonO0

You usually don't. SS is not designed to help lose body fat. It's designed to make you strong. Getting strong without putting on a bit of fat in the process is not easy, not at all.

You could try asking around in the Nutrition subforum in the SS boards. There are some very knowledgable people there.

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167

Yup, I was fresh after Jamaica. I don't think it's an injury because from my understanding, if you have a back injury, you know it. I'm just really sore and tight. I agree, I think I'm not recovering :/

As far as accessory, I was just doing the BBB sets and front squats/pull ups on squat day and power cleans BBB deads on deadlift day. And BBB rows on bench day; my lower back was never getting a break.

blackflag

Yeah man, can't always go by weight. Diet, sodium levels, etc. It all can impact you.

Yeah after I took my progress pics this morning I was like damn I look leaner than the 1 lb is telling. My "coach" whatever he is, agreed so its all good. Figures I'd poop like three times after my weigh in too.....

blackflag

950 for 15 reps then 8 and 8 more on hammer strength leg press.....

Brb only squatting 365 x 1

I know it's way different and you will always leg press way more but the difference in my case seems pretty ridiculous.

Squatting is just so uncomfortable for me and I don't know why.

Yeah after I took my progress pics this morning I was like damn I look leaner than the 1 lb is telling. My "coach" whatever he is, agreed so its all good. Figures I'd poop like three times after my weigh in too.....

rofl.

Yeah, like I said this week hasn't been the greatest. In turn, I look a lot more full due to the carbs but gg leanness for now.

Noema

950 for 15 reps then 8 and 8 more on hammer strength leg press.....

Brb only squatting 365 x 1

I know it's way different and you will always leg press way more but the difference in my case seems pretty ridiculous.

Squatting is just so uncomfortable for me and I don't know why.

How's your torso / leg ratio? Long femurs + small torso means a much harder time doing squats. I can deadlift 450lb for 5 but can barely squat 350lb for a double.

blackflag

How's your torso / leg ratio? Long femurs + small torso means a much harder time doing squats. I can deadlift 450lb for 5 but can barely squat 350lb for a double.

I'm not too sure, I think I actually have a really long torso though. Also as soon as I set the weight back on the rack, it feels like I didn't even work my legs. I gotta figure this out.

abuC

I feel the same way, I've been eating 2-3 16oz steaks a week for the last month or so and I feel like a monster in the gym lately.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

How about nuts and seeds? Those are a large part of my Keto diet

Reading through 5/3/1 for the first time:

"Eat a ton of protein. Squat heavy. Push heavy objects. Have sex. Love life."

Jim Wendler, my man.

White chocolate raspberry quest bars? Is this real life?

Will be a few months before I can try one though :(

I'm salivating over here just at the thought of them.

Chittagong

Gold Member
White chocolate raspberry quest bars? Is this real life?

Will be a few months before I can try one though :(

Holy crap where? I love the Muscle Up bar with white chocolate and strawberry but it's a carb and fat bomb. I will definitely try these new Quest bars when I quit carb nite

Petrie

Banned
I wonder how badly this new console launch come fall is going to hurt my gym progress.

I couldn't be more excited.

I said the same thing when Diablo 3 launched and found myself instead feeling I had to "earn" time for Diablo by going and killing it at the gym.

What happened to the old lazy gamer I loved?

Kyaw

Be safe, for me personally cleans really require the most focus of all to be even worth executing at work set weight. The SS videos are all excellent, I picked up some good notes from this segment in particular, ie starting it exactly as a deadlift that turns into a jump, as opposed to thinking about it as some weird fucked up series of separate movements, which as we all know manifests poorly. Also if you are doing SS cleans he makes a point of saying that it is trained as he describes for a reason, it's not a front squat, or a clean into a jerk so you don't need to attempt atg on the catch.

The trainer taught me to do hang squat cleans which help with speed under the bar. But being me, I just atg everything which is silly. In the normal cleans, going just parallel or above is easier for balance. As weights get heavier though, you're gonna have to go deep fast to get under the bar.

Szu

I wonder how badly this new console launch come fall is going to hurt my gym progress.

I said the same thing when Diablo 3 launched and found myself instead feeling I had to "earn" time for Diablo by going and killing it at the gym.

It used to be so easy to choose.

Gym Buddy: Hey, you want to hit the gym?
Me: Sure.
Game Buddy: Hey, we're hooking up a Mario Kart 64 tourney onto a 100+ inch screen in the school lounge. You game for it?
Me: o_O....Rainbow Road, bitches.

sphinx

the piano man

yeah, I was meaning to ask what's Fitgaf opnion regarding next-gen and the gaming landscape in Q3/Q4

as for me, between sleeping, eating, training, practicing piano and teaching piano, I've barely got time for anything so If I'd want a console under the christmas tree, I would have to choose one console and one game....no time for anything else and not interest in buying stuff to put it in the backlog. so it's either:

3DS with Etrian Odyssey 4
or
WiiU with Pikmin 3

or Castlevania LoS:2 for 360, which I already own.

PS4, when FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 arrive. Xbone,lol.

until november arrives, I'll reduce all of the backlog as much as possible.

SeanR1221

I've found myself reading less fitness articles and more gaming articles so my head isn't in it as much.

Damn, back felt worse than yesterday. Took a muscle relaxer I had left over from my car accident last year and that's starting to kick in. My hope is I'm ok to bench tomorrow and I might skip squatting Sunday. But if I feel like this, I'm completely taking off until it feels better. As t stands right now I can't even walk straight.

Petrie

Banned
yeah, I was meaning to ask what's Fitgaf opnion regarding next-gen and the gaming landscape in Q3/Q4

as for me, between sleeping, eating, training, practicing piano and teaching piano, I've barely got time for anything so If I'd want a console under the christmas tree, I would have to choose one console and one game....no time for anything else and not interest in buying stuff to put it in the backlog. so it's either:

3DS with Etrian Odyssey 4
or
WiiU with Pikmin 3

or Castlevania LoS:2 for 360, which I already own.

PS4, when FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 arrive. Xbone,lol.

until November arrives, I'll reduce all of the backlog as much as possible.

Given the time I have available, I'm actually thinking just a PS4 and PS+ will handle most of my console wants and needs, combined with an occasional weekend rental when something I NEED to play asap hits.

I'm really torn on what direction I head in with gaming next gen, and it's sorta close to shit or get off the pot time: do I just roll with my PC and 3DS along with older consoles, or jump into one of the ecosystems? I love my 360 but have to admit the time it gets used continues to dwindle between fitness, work, the g/f, family, and other media I enjoy as well.

Still I don't think I could handle hearing about new consoles after 7-8 years and not having one to experience it. My podcasts would get awful boring to listen to without the frame of reference.

I've never even tried the Etrian Odyssey games, would you start from the first or just jump into the newest? My new 3DS needs friends.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Xbone has more day one exclusives I need, I can afford to wait on a ps4 until some things come out. I've already got a PC so I don't feel like I have a fire lit under my ass to get something, but getting the Bone on day one is likely.

sphinx

the piano man
I've never even tried the Etrian Odyssey games, would you start from the first or just jump into the newest? My new 3DS needs friends.

I've played and completed 100% Etrian Odyssey I, II and III and I'd say they can be played in any order.

Think the GBA/DS metroidvanias, they keep perfecting the formula but there's little connection between games so you can jump in and start with any game.

That being said, you would make yourself a favor starting them in numerical order because the formula gets better with each sequel and that way you would enjoy and appreciate every game in the series. Going from 4 to 1 might not be a very good idea, since 1 is much more simple than the sequels.

One word of advice: be careful, if you are like me and like collectathons and doing everything in an RPG, say good-bye to your life for 3 months.....

FUCK me and my Final Fantasy:Dissidia File that reminds me I spent 345 hours playing that game.

Ekdrm2d1

Social gatherings & Work functions totally destroyed my cut this week :(

On the plus side 185 OHP --thanks you extra carbs! (I still hate you)

We had a birthday lunch for one of the directors here at the office this week. Went out to eat at a Mexican restaurant. I only went a long for support and did not order a meal. People were making fun of me (strict dieting) so I had a spoonfull of guacamole, no chips.

I was proud of myself. Came back to the office and had my healthy food. 2-hour lunch break ;)

Although, I did have a slice of this expensive red velvet cake in celebration though. I deserved it, I stayed clear from the Mexican food and ate the healthy stuff :p
Exercised that afternoon too so the red velvet cake was worked-off.

Going to get red velvet (something) for my next birthday. That shit is sooo good :lirl:

Maybe some expensive cupcakes from Sprinkles or Crave. Look at all dat Cream Cheese! :lirl:

blackflag

Yeah I had preordered both just in case MS did the 180. There was no way they could have launched like hat and if they had, Amazon was free to cancel...so now I might be getting both. So dumb since I have like a 20 game backlog and not much time to play. I love to get that shit release day though for some reason.

Petrie

Banned
Yeah I had preordered both just in case MS did the 180. There was no way they could have launched like hat and if they had, Amazon was free to cancel...so now I might be getting both. So dumb since I have like a 20 game backlog and not much time to play. I love to get that shit release day though for some reason.

I want at least one at launch if nothing else other than to enjoy the discussion with all my uber-nerd gamer friends on Friday nights when we get together at the guys house who has a DDR Arcade Cabinet, because they are that nerdy.

Missing out on those talks isn't worth $400 extra in my pocket.

Petrie

Banned
I've played and completed 100% Etrian Odyssey I, II and III and I'd say they can be played in any order.

Think the GBA/DS metroidvanias, they keep perfecting the formula but there's little connection between games so you can jump in and start with any game.

That being said, you would make yourself a favor starting them in numerical order because the formula gets better with each sequel and that way you would enjoy and appreciate every game in the series. Going from 4 to 1 might not be a very good idea, since 1 is much more simple than the sequels.

One word of advice: be careful, if you are like me and like collectathons and doing everything in an RPG, say good-bye to your life for 3 months.....

FUCK me and my Final Fantasy:Dissidia File that reminds me I spent 345 hours playing that game.

Yeah if I started with 4 it's unlikely I'd go back.

But then again if I began with 1, I'll likely never make it to 4.

Frostburn

It used to be so easy to choose.

Gym Buddy: Hey, you want to hit the gym?
Me: Sure.
Game Buddy: Hey, we're hooking up a Mario Kart 64 tourney onto a 100+ inch screen in the school lounge. You game for it?
Me: o_O....Rainbow Road, bitches.

I miss those good old days! Haha this is how I know I'm an adult now. I choose working out, home improvements and spending time with the lady over gaming.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Xbone has more day one exclusives I need, I can afford to wait on a ps4 until some things come out. I've already got a PC so I don't feel like I have a fire lit under my ass to get something, but getting the Bone on day one is likely.

i think i prefer the exclusives for the bone as well. i'm not a fan of sony's first party offerings, cinematic experiences with crappy shooting mechanics are not my cup of tea. sony's launch lineup is very lackluster.

i have both preordered on amazon. i'm not sure if i'll keep either, but if allocations are low, i may keep both and flip them for profit, who knows.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
i think i prefer the exclusives for the bone as well. i'm not a fan of sony's first party offerings, cinematic experiences with crappy shooting mechanics are not my cup of tea. sony's launch lineup is very lackluster.

i have both preordered on amazon. i'm not sure if i'll keep either, but if allocations are low, i may keep both and flip them for profit, who knows.

If you can flip them for a decent profit, I'm gonna do it, no matter what comes out on day one. A big profit is more fun to me than a game is for a few weeks, I can always buy a Bone later on down the line.

Petrie

Banned
If you can flip them for a decent profit, I'm gonna do it, no matter what comes out on day one. A big profit is more fun to me than a game is for a few weeks, I can always buy a Bone later on down the line.

Yeah this may be where I end up, though I have a couple of each on order to flip already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom