• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szu

I miss those good old days! Haha this is how I know I'm an adult now. I choose working out, home improvements and spending time with the lady over gaming.

Yeah, lately, my gaming has been reduced to playing with my 3DS while sitting on the train or toilet.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Carb Nite time!!

This little fucker has 90g of fast carbs, no fat and 4g protein in 100g, optimal carb nite nutrition:

HariboStrawberry.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Chitta, take one for the team and find those Watermelon Oreos and report back

Carb nite. Got a bag of of soft red licorice, a slice of red velvet cake and a box of chocolate chip quest bars(not going to eat them all obviously). NOMNOM!

Whats worse? a) Occasionally (but rarely) breaking my diet by theowing in a dessert / soft drink every once in a while into the middle of an otherwise healthy diet, or b) rarely doing a full on cheat day?

also, if i do break my diet (as in a), is it better to do it on a day when im not planning to go to the gym?

MjFrancis

Yeah I had preordered both just in case MS did the 180. There was no way they could have launched like hat and if they had, Amazon was free to cancel...so now I might be getting both. So dumb since I have like a 20 game backlog and not much time to play. I love to get that shit release day though for some reason.
That's where I sit. I've got one bot match of Warzone in Gears of War Judgment under my belt for my total gaming time these past eight weeks. I've had one day off work in the past three weeks. I've finally got my training on a regular schedule this week. My time with my wife and son is short and I'm holding onto every moment I can get. When my wife called me on Father's Day to tell me I missed a cool milestone (son stood up for the first time), I can't help but think, "why am I working so much again?"

Still, I've just preordered both consoles. I'll flip one or both if I can't afford it, because Amazon, your preorder process is awesome. I won't be surprised if I can't get one because I waited, though. Same thing happened with PAX this year - I was a day late and unwilling to pay secondary market prices.

Regardless, things should slow down a bit this summer and I'll catch up on some games I haven't finished or started yet. My next day one game is Killer is Dead, and I have a couple months until that comes out. Maybe I'll finally get around to finishing Vanquish or play Okami on the PS3.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Whats worse? a) Occasionally (but rarely) breaking my diet by theowing in a dessert / soft drink every once in a while into the middle of an otherwise healthy diet, or b) rarely doing a full on cheat day?

also, if i do break my diet (as in a), is it better to do it on a day when im not planning to go to the gym?
There's not much difference and unless you're a professional body builder you won't notice a difference. As long as most of your days are clean choose which ever one you prefer.

Imm0rt4l

I've done them from time to time, it actually feels like a more natural movement for me, but I stick with regular b/c I just assume it recruits more musculature.
Yea I think I'll give them a try and see if that leverage seems more ergonomic for my build but I suspect I need to strengthen my hams and maybe do some deficit dead a as well. I'm sure if I like it I'll end up alternating between the 2. Gotta explore every avenue if I wanna 1 day hit that 600.

I really do enjoy GM. Great exercise.

Never done sumo deads.

Around 90g a day. I wish I were more consistent but sometimes I go as low as 50-60(yikes). I believe you're supposed to take in .5g of fat for every lb of body weight. I've also heard that 30% of your caloric intake is good, but that might be for maintenance.

Yea I think I'll give them a try and see if that leverage seems more ergonomic for my build but I suspect I need to strengthen my hams and maybe do some deficit dead a as well. I'm sure if I like it I'll end up alternating between the 2. Gotta explore every avenue if I wanna 1 day hit that 600.

Around 90g a day. I wish I were more consistent but sometimes I go as low as 50-60(yikes). I believe you're supposed to take in .5g of fat for every lb of body weight. I've also heard that 30% of your caloric intake is good, but that might be for maintenance.

Don't know what happened to my original post but whatever. 90g? Man, I'm usually around 50-60. Sometimes less! I wonder if that is impacting me negatively at all. Excuse me while I take in some of this olive oil.

Are deadlifts supposed to be going up like this? 2-3 weeks ago I was lifting 250 and hit a PR of 275 today for just 1 RM.

Feels great, but good god I can't walk anymore.

Are deadlifts supposed to be going up like this? 2-3 weeks ago I was lifting 250 and hit a PR of 275 today for just 1 RM.

Feels great, but good god I can't walk anymore.

Most programs have lower body movements increase by 10lbs per week. So yeah, you're increasing at a good pace.

Congrats on the new PR!

Thinking of making the switch back myself. My lifts are starting to plateau, i'm thinking sumo will allow me to squeeze out a few more pounds before the inevitable...

grumble

Do we have any Canadian lifters in here? Where are you guys getting your Quest bars? They're expensive as fuck up here :(

I'm Canadian, and I'm not getting Quest bars up here haha

I tried a few out at a trade show recently, and they're pretty decent considering the macros (especially warmed up), but they aren't mindblowing or anything. I wouldn't say they're worth the steep price to get them up here.

blackflag

That's where I sit. I've got one bot match of Warzone in Gears of War Judgment under my belt for my total gaming time these past eight weeks. I've had one day off work in the past three weeks. I've finally got my training on a regular schedule this week. My time with my wife and son is short and I'm holding onto every moment I can get. When my wife called me on Father's Day to tell me I missed a cool milestone (son stood up for the first time), I can't help but think, "why am I working so much again?"

Still, I've just preordered both consoles. I'll flip one or both if I can't afford it, because Amazon, your preorder process is awesome. I won't be surprised if I can't get one because I waited, though. Same thing happened with PAX this year - I was a day late and unwilling to pay secondary market prices.

Regardless, things should slow down a bit this summer and I'll catch up on some games I haven't finished or started yet. My next day one game is Killer is Dead, and I have a couple months until that comes out. Maybe I'll finally get around to finishing Vanquish or play Okami on the PS3.

Yeah this is mostly my situation except I have a bit more time because I have my kids only in the mornings for a couple hours, Wed. nights and Saturday afternoon and Sunday. So i'm sure I have a little more time.

My backlog is ridiculous though. Vanquish and Okami are on mine as well started, loved and haven't finished. Along with Dishonored, Ni No Kuni, DMC, and like 20 other games. Focusing on Tomb Raider and Dragon's Dogma and when I finally beat those I'll move on to the next 2.

blackflag

Don't know what happened to my original post but whatever. 90g? Man, I'm usually around 50-60. Sometimes less! I wonder if that is impacting me negatively at all. Excuse me while I take in some of this olive oil.

That's actually how I get most of my fat during this cut. Olive oil by the tablespoon or 1/2 tbsp into my mouth.

Here is today's meals

Meal 1:
10 egg whites or 40g Whey
1/2 tbsp olive oil

Meal 2
7 oz grilled chicken breast
1 cup asparagus (it's what I chose today, there's like a huge list of veges)
1tbsp olive oil

Meal 3
1/2 tbsp olive oil

Meal 4
1 cup asparagus
1 cup brown rice
1 tbsp olive oil

Meal 5 (post workout)
40g whey
1 white bagel

meal 6
6 oz 96% ground beef
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup asparagus

I could cook the chicken in the olive oil but it's much simpler to just weigh the chicken out for the day and throw it on the foreman grill, then drink the olive oil.

Last night I felt like a total failure. My buddy had a sushi/saki dinner party last night and I had some rice. A No No right now during the week. On top of that 5 shots of saki. Everyone was drinking last night and it was thrown in my face. One of these rare social settings that I coudn't avoid. Too bad becasue I was A+ this week getting in my 30 min HIIT everyday. No way am i going to drink tonight and I feel bad because I have some friends staying over my summer house this weekend out east and they all want to go out tonight. So I refuse to drink so I can get to the gym in the morning and do some HIIT and work some compounds Squats, deadlifts, weighted pull ups and incline dumbell press.

Petrie

Banned
Last night I felt like a total failure. My buddy had a sushi/saki dinner party last night and I had some rice. A No No right now during the week. On top of that 5 shots of saki. Everyone was drinking last night and it was thrown in my face. One of these rare social settings that I coudn't avoid. Too bad becasue I was A+ this week getting in my 30 min HIIT everyday. No way am i going to drink tonight and I feel bad because I have some friends staying over my summer house this weekend out east and they all want to go out tonight. So I refuse to drink so I can get to the gym in the morning and do some HIIT and work some compounds Squats, deadlifts, weighted pull ups and incline dumbell press.

This is basically never the case and is more of an excuse used to justify such things. Nobody needs to drink in these situations, given that people like me who can't drink still manage to go, have a good time, and be accepted without issue.

This is basically never the case and is more of an excuse used to justify such things. Nobody needs to drink in these situations, given that people like me who can't drink still manage to go, have a good time, and be accepted without issue.

Yeah feels terrible. I can hit a bar without drinking, no problem. But for some reason I just caved into the sake. It beat me this round, but I shall have my revenge. I'm gonna make it

bro1

Banned

Or you could just have 1 or 2 drinks and not worry about it and still do your workout.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Yeah feels terrible. I can hit a bar without drinking, no problem. But for some reason I just caved into the sake. It beat me this round, but I shall have my revenge. I'm gonna make it

To plays devil's advocate, having a few drinks or a glass of wine isn't going to have a negative impact on your "gains" bro. Moderation is the key.

Life is meant to be enjoyed, diet neurosis isn't cool imo. Different strokes I guess. I look forward to having a few beers with my bro this weekend.

Petrie

Banned

Hey I see no issue if you decide to indulge, I just hate when people say they can't, as it somehow implies that someone like me just CAN'T be social in such gatherings.

To plays devil's advocate, having a few drinks or a glass of wine isn't going to have a negative impact on your "gains" bro. Moderation is the key.

Life is meant to be enjoyed, diet neurosis isn't cool imo. Different strokes I guess. I look forward to having a few beers with my bro this weekend.

Yeah, I been down that route plenty of times. Sucks =/

These days, I go if I can and be smart about my decisions. If I choose to eat a burger and fries, that is my choice. Use it as energy and work it off the next day.

That's actually how I get most of my fat during this cut. Olive oil by the tablespoon or 1/2 tbsp into my mouth.

I tried that before. Never again. Too nasty. Would rather drink it in a shake or eat with my foods.

HIIT has been pretty fun. Slowly starting to increase the resistance and keeping my heart rate around 160-180.

So I randomly did the Arnold Press today. I don't know if it is because I am not used to the movement but I had to do it at a really light weight. 20-25 lbs. The press part is fine it is the transition to the top that is absolutely brutal for me. My wrists do not want to stay straight.

arnold-shoulder-press-animation.jpg

The transition from the start to the midpoint. I need to watch vids to see if it matters if my wrists are not parallel to the ground at the start. I just struggled to keep them at the start position. Anything higher than 25 lbs and my form was compromised.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Holy fucking shit, now I know what a sugar rush is. After pounding fast carbs big time on my carb nite (bruschetta, pizza, crepes with honey and ice cream) I can't concentrate on anything, giggle like a little girl and struggle to speak coherently. Crazy!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fucking shit, now I know what a sugar rush is. After pounding fast carbs big time on my carb nite (bruschetta, pizza, crepes with honey and ice cream) I can't concentrate on anything, giggle like a little girl and struggle to speak coherently. Crazy!

It's weird, isn't it? KEEP EATING.

ToxicAdam

So I randomly did the Arnold Press today. I don't know if it is because I am not used to the movement but I had to do it at a really light weight. 20-25 lbs. The press part is fine it is the transition to the top that is absolutely brutal for me. My wrists do not want to stay straight.

The transition from the start to the midpoint. I need to watch vids to see if it matters if my wrists are not parallel to the ground at the start. I just struggled to keep them at the start position. Anything higher than 25 lbs and my form was compromised.

I always incorporate AP's on my shoulder days. I love them, they are great 'finishing' exercise. I think you just are having balance issues, since it was your first time in awhile. The more you do them, the more you should get the muscle memory down.

I never go too heavy on them though. I think 35-40 lbs is my max. I'd rather do high reps and really burn out the shoulders.

Chittagong

Gold Member

arnold-shoulder-press-animation.jpg

how weird. I massively struggle with press, have hit a 100lbs brick wall in Press but in AP with 40lbs each hand ain't a thing. Maybe my physique is better suited for AP, long hands and all. Not sure if it's as effective though.

I always incorporate AP's on my shoulder days. I love them, they are great 'finishing' exercise. I think you just are having balance issues, since it was your first time in awhile. The more you do them, the more you should get the muscle memory down.

I never go too heavy on them though. I think 35-40 lbs is my max. I'd rather do high reps and really burn out the shoulders.

It actually was my first time ever doing them and you are right. Balance is definitely a huge problem for me. Not used to the movement and all that.

how weird. I massively struggle with press, have hit a 100lbs brick wall in Press but in AP with 40lbs each hand ain't a thing. Maybe my physique is better suited for AP, long hands and all. Not sure if it's as effective though.

Could be. When it comes to DB Press, no problem. It is keeping the starting position at higher weight that really messes me up. No big deal, it will get better with time.

Cudder

Do we have any Canadian lifters in here? Where are you guys getting your Quest bars? They're expensive as fuck up here :(

My sister lives in Jersey and just so happened to be visiting soon after the GNC coupon thing was going on, so I got her to get me a few boxes for dirt cheap. Other than that, looks like you'll have to suck it up and pay about 34$ a box from either Popeye's, Nutrition House, or anywhere online.

sphinx

the piano man
I get the feeling that I'm gonna plateau on my Bench next week. I was struggling with 45 kg today. Next up is 47,5 on monday.

this just happened to me... yep, I failed on my bench miserably... 5 days ago, I did 57.5 kgs. 3 x 5 relatively easy, I could've done 3 x 7 but I had a spotter.

today was the day for 60 kgs, 2 nice 20 kg plates, one on each side, but today the gym was nearly empty cause it was late (one hour ago it was 22:30 here in germany) and had no spotter...

warm up sets were encouraging and then it went like this..

60 kgs, 1 x 4.. holy shit, no, today's not gonna work..back to 57.5

57.5, 1 x 4... WTF!! I HAD THIS WEIGHT ALREADY ....but o.k, calm down...

55 kgs... 1 x 4... -_- .... pack your things and get the fuck out of here..

this just happened to me... yep, I failed on my bench miserably... 5 days ago, I did 57.5 kgs. 3 x 5 relatively easy, I could've done 3 x 7 but I had a spotter.

today was the day for 60 kgs, 2 nice 20 kg plates, one on each side, but today the gym was nearly empty cause it was late (one hour ago it was 22:30 here in germany) and had no spotter...

warm up sets were encouraging and then it went like this..

60 kgs, 1 x 4.. holy shit, no, today's not gonna work..back to 57.5

57.5, 1 x 4... WTF!! I HAD THIS WEIGHT ALREADY ....but o.k, calm down...

55 kgs... 1 x 4... -_- .... pack your things and get the fuck out of here..

uh, I really hope it won't happen. Been progressing so well so far.. every thing is a new PR each time.

I think the issue lies in NOT ENOUGH FOOD OM NOM NOM

But seriously though, I think we both need to consume more nutritious energy to execute those sets perfectly my brotha in another country *fistbump*

sphinx

the piano man
uh, I really hope it won't happen. Been progressing so well so far.. every thing is a new PR each time.

I think the issue lies in NOT ENOUGH FOOD OM NOM NOM

But seriously though, I think we both need to consume more nutritious energy to execute those sets perfectly my brotha in another country *fistbump*

I eat well, I think my problem is that I've been sleeping very bad the last days and have lots of stress... I just got a new job (hooray!! after a year applying for a job in an official music school, it happened! ) and I am nervous all the time, I can't fuck it up...it's basically the chance I've been waiting for the last 3 years...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! :)

FYI I was complimenting you with my comment. Just to clarify.

Thanks brah.

Arnold Presses tonight thanks to this topic, gonna see how well I do. Just kind of as a supplemental addition, then after the gym and a shower it's out to a new, scary frontier.

I eat well, I think my problem is that I've been sleeping very bad the last days and have lots of stress... I just got a new job (hooray!! after a year applying for a job in an official music school, it happened! ) and I am nervous all the time, I can't fuck it up...it's basically the chance I've been waiting for the last 3 years...

PIANO MAN INDEED!@ Congrats Sphinx, I hope you get everything you want. You're a great dude, you'll nail it without even trying.

So I randomly did the Arnold Press today. I don't know if it is because I am not used to the movement but I had to do it at a really light weight. 20-25 lbs. The press part is fine it is the transition to the top that is absolutely brutal for me.

You're not supposed to go super heavy with Arnold Press anyways. My OHP is 150lb, and I do seated dumbell press with 60's but I only do 25 lb Arnold Presses, I COULD go heavier but your deltoids are tiny muscles they don't need super heavy weight to stimulate growth. Same goes for Delt Flyes/ Lateral raises. I see people doing them with 45's the only thing they're accomplishing is destroying their rotator cuff.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You're not supposed to go super heavy with Arnold Press anyways. My OHP is 150lb, and I do seated dumbell press with 60's but I only do 25 lb Arnold Presses, I COULD go heavier but your deltoids are tiny muscles they don't need super heavy weight to stimulate growth. Same goes for Delt Flyes/ Lateral raises. I see people doing them with 45's the only thing they're accomplishing is destroying their rotator cuff.

I used to do front raises with 50s. Now I stick to finishing at 40s. My shoulders respond well to heavy weight. Actually all my muscles do!

Lamel

Banned
Been doing the compound lifts again this summer, but around 10-20 reps, to gain more size mainly, and its working. Feels good. I will also do a mini cut before I return to school. I'm slowly reaching my ideal slim muscular body. I'm constantly attacked by ladies its such a burden.

Mully

4 Scoops of Optimum Nutrition Double Chocolate Protein + 1.5 cups of instant coffee + hot water in a blender bottle = Protein Hot Chocolate.

Matugi

Back from my orientation. Did my best not to eat like total shit and I haven't worked out in two days so tomorrow's looking lovely. Trying to get in some chest and upper body and HIIT. Deserts are so good at college

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom