• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
tfw looking at yourself in the morning is the leanest you look all day

tfw your leanest still makes you feel fat

tfw your leanest makes you feel skinny and weak

tfw you don't ever think you will reach your goals

rough monday, is it time to go to the gym yet?

rando14

iWKZFeCbqlw4c.gif

we're all gonna make it bro! :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

It is that time. Fix your broken image! FIX IT THROUGH POWER

blackflag

I know this feel well but I'm starting to feel and see the changes and its sickkkk. If this continues I'm gonna be a happy happy man.

abuC

Had a monster workout this morning, one of the best I've had in ages, and I can't even understand why considering I got less than 4 hours of sleep.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Can someone tell me how a body like this is possible?

chris-hemsworth-interview.jpg

tumblr_mlz3rgSgvW1rtnm94o1_250.gif

Without eating at a calorie deficit? Figured I'd try to find some information about Hemsworth's diet during his Thor shoots, and most sources claim he's eating as much as he can. But what the fuck, where's the gut? It's just confusing because he's so big.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Three weeks into Carb Nite and two of them under my belt, I am not entirely convinced it will help me drop weight.

It has, however, finally put me back into getting PRs in my SS routine, managed to break all big three today

Squat - 176lbs x 5 x 3 - operation Chicken Leg Slayer hits big milestone, Squat finally pulls ahead of Bench
Bench - 170lbs x 5 x 3
Deadlift - 292lbs x 5 x 1

I will see how much I weigh mid week, then do one more carb nite with a lower calorie and carb count and if my weight still doesn't budge then I'll come off it.

abuC

Without eating at a calorie deficit? Figured I'd try to find some information about Hemsworth's diet during his Thor shoots, and most sources claim he's eating as much as he can. But what the fuck, where's the gut? It's just confusing because he's so big.

You need the blood of the gods, and by that I mean steroids.

Compare that to how small he looked in the Avengers, dat cycle.

iWKZFeCbqlw4c.gif

we're all gonna make it bro! :)

It is that time. Fix your broken image! FIX IT THROUGH POWER

I know this feel well but I'm starting to feel and see the changes and its sickkkk. If this continues I'm gonna be a happy happy man.

Kane_Daniel_Bryan_WWEHug.gif

drugs

Imm0rt4l

I'm not saying a body like that isn't attainavle but hemsworth didn't attain that through natural means. He gained too much mass too fast, then he lost most of it after Thor. Steroids.

ToxicAdam

I would love for one of the Hollywood trainers to write a tell-all. Not to name names, but just to detail the steroid cocktail/training program they put them through.

Build mass quickly, then strip away all the bloat with a medical diuretic.

I would love for one of the Hollywood trainers to write a tell-all. Not to name names, but just to detail the steroid cocktail/training program they put them through.

That would be a fantastic read. I'd buy a copy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zefah, when doing Starting Strength you are supposed to do 3 sets of 5 across. That means that the weight stays the same for those 3 sets. Those are your work sets. Everything else is a warmup and volume should be much lower on those. It's not a problem now that the weights are light, but it'll be a problem once they get heavy.

As an illustration, suppose that your work sets for squats are 115lb for the day. So your squats would look like this:

Warmup

45lbx5x2 (2 sets of 5)
85lbx3 (1 set of 3)
100lbx2 (1 set of 2)

Work sets

115lbx5x3 (5 sets of 3 at 115lb)

Next squat session you'd add 10lb to your work sets, so your work sets would be 125lbx5x3. This applies to all the lifts, except the deadlift in which you only do 1 set of 5 as your sole work set.

I mention this because I see some novices making the mistake of doing too much work on their warm up sets. In Starting Strength it is the 3 sets of 5 across that constitute the meat of the training. Warming up is important but it's just that, a warm up.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to follow that plan next time. Since this was my first time, I was having a hard time figuring out what weight I should be lifting. After doing two sets of what I thought was the right weight, I felt I could do more, so I put on a bit more weight. I'll definitely go in next time with target work set weights in mind, so I won't be screwing around as much.

Do you recommend always working up to the target weight by doing warmup sets as in your example?

I'm going to follow the second day plan in the OP, so now I need to find out what the hell a "power clean" is and how to do it. Also need to find out what constitutes "abdominal work."

I'm jealous that you're able to start out doing 8 pullups twice. Your weights may be starting out low, but they will increase very quickly. Enjoy the easy times because it's going to get harder quickly. :)

Thanks, but while it was my first time in the gym, I've had a pullup bar at home for the last year or so that I've been using almost daily.

Ekdrm2d1

I hate veggies so much. I like corn and carrots but they don't count, and otherwise brocolli is about all I can stomach, and that's barely.

Sucks.

I want to try different colored carrots. They're not that expensive, wonder why I put it off.

I heard purple and red/pink carrots have some better health properties over regular orange carrots.
I think there's even two types of purple carrots. Carrots with purple insides and carrots with regular orange insides.

purple-carrots-1-550x367.jpg

IMG_6393_1000.jpg

ZeroRay

So how do you guys know you're squatting below parallel?

Had a rough day at squats today, had to deload by 10lbs and still couldn't finish my sets. I'm trying to go lower than I was before as I think I may have been slightly above/at parallel. Wish my phone could take vids, but alas.

Edit: Started going deeper two sessions ago, so my rough day isn't on account of me just starting to go below parallel.

ToxicAdam

I laid down a 400-500-brick patio (by myself) over this weekend and today my grip strength is wrecked. I can barely hold my pen. Guess it's going to be a legs day.

Szu

I laid down a 400-500-brick patio (by myself) over this weekend and today my grip strength is wrecked. I can barely hold my pen. Guess it's going to be a legs day.

Yeah, but after your hands are rested, I expect you to do this to the extra bricks.
e1faf4a5bd3a7c54293746f9c8cca545.gif

SeanR1221

The fuck? My lower back feels better now my upper feels really strained. This would normally be my deload week. Would it be bad to just take the whole week off and recover?

Thinking about it I haven't had a week off in 3.5 months

After a month and a half of hard PSMF dieting, and a week of stomach-bug ruined intestines, it was so nice to just go into the goddamned gym and do a regular boring old BBB squat day. Legs feel like jelly and I could not be in a better mood.

Also the first egg i cracked this morning had TWO YOLKS! It's going to be a great week.

andycapps

It would take years of work bulking and cutting to get there, but like others said, he probably did steroids.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Kai-Greene-10.jpg

Guys, how does Kai Greene eat at a caloric surplus and get so huge while remaining so lean?! What are his nutritional secrets?!

twofold

Have you listened to Victor Conte's interview with Joe Rogan? It's pretty interesting. He talks a lot about the sorts of steroids athletes are on and the performance increases possible with careful and controlled steroid use. It's a good listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iWIhMG4woI&feature=youtu.be

What am I seeing here, is this a natural vs. pro bodybuilder?

If I remember correctly, the guy on the left is a pro bodybuilder from New Zealand. He's on the juice, too.

ToxicAdam

Guys, how does Kai Greene eat at a caloric surplus and get so huge while remaining so lean?! What are his nutritional secrets?!

This pic reminds me, I've been thinking a lot about myostatin lately and just how big a part it plays in our development. How we shouldn't get too hung up on size and muscle growth. Because ultimately we are held back by whatever genes we have been dealt.

Mully

I haven't seen this number in a long time. Down to 191.5lbs. Just a couple of months ago I was at my highest of 218lbs during a bulk. Adding to that, I DL'd 275 for 7 good form reps today. I had to stop at 2 reps for the same weight a month ago because of bad form.

SeanR1221

I haven't seen this number in a long time. Down to 191.5lbs. Just a couple of months ago I was at my highest of 218lbs during a bulk. Adding to that, I DL'd 275 for 7 good form reps today. I had to stop at 2 reps for the same weight a month ago because of bad form.

Yeaaaaaaah buddy!

SeanR1221

I'm really pumped. How's life as a married man?

Since we've been living together for a year not much different. Biggest difference is being on her health insurance. It's way better than what I used to have so the peace of mind is really nice.

It's actually been a month today. Man, time goes fast.

So you guys have any input for me? Take the week off? I had to take a flexeril the pain was so bad :/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I feel so goddamn fat. Was going to wait till 4th of July to cut but I might start tomorrow. I've packed on significant muscle. I should be fine.

sphinx

the piano man
>_<

I've been doing 65 unassited pull-ups in five different sessions this month and I don't see back progress, maybe I am doing them wrong??? is it worth it to take video and ask for suggestions?

grumble

>_<

I've been doing 65 unassited pull-ups in five different sessions this month and I don't see back progress, maybe I am doing them wrong??? is it worth it to take video and ask for suggestions?

65 per session? Add weight or do more in a set. Or both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom