• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehdi_san

Fit-GAF I need your help! (please?)
Quick introduction: I don't have access to a gym (I live in my company's dorms, in the middle of nowhere), so I've been working out at "home" (in my tiny dorm room lol) with P90X and P90X2 for more than a year now (started in february 2012). I lost a ton of weight and put on some decent amount of muscles. Went from zero pull-ups (for months) to my first pull-up, then 2, then 5, 10 etc. and it felt great.
The good news now is that I convinced my company that it would be good for the employees to have a gym in the dorm. So they allowed me to use one of the empty meeting room on the first floor, and they gave me a decent budget. This is where I would like to get advices from you Fit-GAF, because I don't really know what would be good.
It's not a big room, maybe 6m by 6m. The dorm I'm in has around 100 people, all men, young and old, but I doubt they will all use the gym everyday.
I've been looking online and I found these 2 stores that sell professional equipment:

http://www.bodymaker.jp/training/Training_all
http://www.fightingroad.co.jp/index.html

Would you mind taking a look and telling me what looks good?
I suppose I'll need a bench and a bar with weights? Something to do squats too? And some running thingy or bicycle for those who want to do some cardio?
Any kind of advice as to what should I buy would be really appreciated!
Bumpy bump because I'd really appreciate some help.

Say you have a very nice budget to build the perfect training room at home. What kind of equipment would you buy?

blackflag

Hey guys. 4th carb nite over and still doing great at the gym. The problem i have right now is on this diet I have way too much energy and it is effecting my sleep pattern. I end up not able to sleep especially after the gym. Otherwise I love it and I was able to put on a shirt I bought years ago with the intention of being able to fit into it one day. Saturday was that day. Almost 15 months now working out and i love it so much.

Right now I do A/B routine of squats/bench press/pandalay rows and squats/overhead press/deadlift. After I do my compounds I do my everyday accessories which are dumbbell shrugs, dumbbell hammers, butterfly chest, sitting calf raises and forearm turns. Also my warm up is using a foam roller, 60 reps of shoulder dislocations and 2 sets of 5 for pull ups and chin ups non assisted. Keep in mind I weigh 283lbs last I checked so the pull ups are something I never expected to do 1 of let alone 10 a day.

Am I doing too much accessory work? I've only been doing compounds for 7 months or so now. I feel like the accessories help me maintain better but I might be over working myself.

Doesn't sound like you are doing too much accessory work. I did a ton and I'm not a big believer in the "only stick to the compound lifts" method. They are always my primary but I always build on them with accessory work

ILoveBish

Say you have a very nice budget to build the perfect training room at home. What kind of equipment would you buy?

I would get a power cage for squats and other compounds. Of course a bench, a 45lb barbell, plenty of weights for it and a nice variety of dumbbells. A pull up bar with dips would also be excellent. Treadmill should be there for those into cardio. That's just what I would think a good gym should have at the least.

Doesn't sound like you are doing too much accessory work. I did a ton and I'm not a big believer in the "only stick to the compound lifts" method. They are always my primary but I always build on them with accessory work

Awesome. I love compounds but I also like to work iso as well. I've found doing ss and similar routines, your weakest points tend to be chest and triceps. So extra for those helps balance out a bit imo.

Darren870

I ruined my left shoulder yesterday doing presses. I can barely lift my arm above my head. I hope this doesn't keep up for more then 1-2 weeks.

Guess this means its LEG DAY .. EVERYDAY till then!

I am no expert, but I can do everything needed with something like this:

http://samsfitness.com.au/powertec-power-rack

A proper cage with a pull up bar and adjustable brackets. One at my gym had dip handles you could add in.

Get that plus 2 adjustable benches, a treadmill and elliptical (to keep the weight section free of course...), an Olympic bar (maybe 2) with weights and a dumbbell set. All you really need.

If you can't get dumbbells then only one bench is needed as you want one for the cage and one for the dumbbells.

Who wants some rage?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/25/opinion/wann-obesity-disease/index.html

A proper cage with a pull up bar and adjustable brackets. One at my gym had dip handles you could add in.

You could also get some rings w/straps and loop them over the pull-up handles, there's this behemoth of a dude at my gym who's training to be a firefighter who does that (alternating with pullups), and it's pretty sick considering he's clearly around 250. Classic powerlifter look, pudgy with huge muscles.

grumble

I ruined my left shoulder yesterday doing presses. I can barely lift my arm above my head. I hope this doesn't keep up for more then 1-2 weeks.

Guess this means its LEG DAY .. EVERYDAY till then!

I am no expert, but I can do everything needed with something like this:

http://samsfitness.com.au/powertec-power-rack

Get that plus 2 adjustable benches, a treadmill and elliptical (to keep the weight section free of course...), an Olympic bar (maybe 2) with weights and a dumbbell set. All you really need.

If you can't get dumbbells then only one bench is needed as you want one for the cage and one for the dumbbells.

Agreed, but I'd drop the elliptical and get a rowing machine instead.

Szu

Last night at my gym, two gyms were talking to each other near me. The topic gravitated to chest workouts. One guy is fairly lean, but very built. The other guy was a powerlifter. The lean guy wants to get bigger pecs. The powerlifter wants his chest to be more defined, but it looks flat because of his large core.

Classic Case of
tumblr_lxk88alD0l1r7w8cbo1_500.gif

Last night at my gym, two gyms were talking to each other near me. The topic gravitated to chest workouts. One guy is fairly lean, but very built. The other guy was a powerlifter. The lean guy wants to get bigger pecs. The powerlifter wants his chest to be more defined, but it looks flat because of his large core.

Classic Case of
tumblr_lxk88alD0l1r7w8cbo1_500.gif

The story of my lifting life.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just ran my first ever sub-6 min mile!

Did it in 5:58! Body was on fire after the run (doesn't help that it's so damn hot outside). Of course, my buddy showed me up by running his first ever sub-5 min mile (4:52!), but I'm more than satisfied with my time considering I only started running in the past few months and this is only the fourth time I've recorded my mile time.

5:50 is next!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, I planned to go to the gym for the second time today, but my quads and groin area are still pretty damn sore. Should I try to just power through it, or would I be better served resting for another day? I'm leaning towards just ignoring the pain and going, but I don't want to do any damage.

Az

So, I planned to go to the gym for the second time today, but my quads and groin area are still pretty damn sore. Should I try to just power through it, or would I be better served resting for another day? I'm leaning towards just ignoring the pain and going, but I don't want to do any damage.

Get your ass to the gym. I fucked up my leg friday night in my drunken state and limp my way across the gym.

Petrie

Banned
So hard fitting back day in when it falls on a day I go during lunch. When it comes to pullups and chins I just need rest time between sets or by the second sets I'm down from 10-12 to 5-6 reps. Sucks.

SeanR1221

This is really normal for your first time. You should be ok going.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Go go go. You'll work it out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome! Glad to hear it's OK to go even with the soreness. Didn't want to screw up my plan of going every other day right off the bat!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be on cloud 9 if I could get DOMS again like I did after my first gym visit. I still remember it so vividly...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I still get DOMS on leg day and on heavy chest days. Sometimes back as well.

I'm going for a PR tonight. Maybe I can get it.

I'm going to be moving over to a cut and stopping moving my weight up, and just concentrating on maintaining what I've earned so far. So if I'm gonna go hard for a PR, tonight's the night.

SeanR1221

I still get DOMS on leg day and on heavy chest days. Sometimes back as well.

Same and that's what worried me so much these past couple days. I couldn't turn my head without pain shooting down my back.

Definitely feels more of what I'm used to today but I still think ill take the week off to fully recover.

blackflag

Just ran my first ever sub-6 min mile!

Did it in 5:58! Body was on fire after the run (doesn't help that it's so damn hot outside). Of course, my buddy showed me up by running his first ever sub-5 min mile (4:52!), but I'm more than satisfied with my time considering I only started running in the past few months and this is only the fourth time I've recorded my mile time.

5:50 is next!

I'm always impressed when I hear things like this because I know I'll never do it. Congrats man.

Same and that's what worried me so much these past couple days. I couldn't turn my head without pain shooting down my back.

Definitely feels more of what I'm used to today but I still think ill take the week off to fully recover.

Yeah man, taking a week off will do your body wonders. Can't wait for my 1-2 weeks off here in July.

I'm going for a PR tonight. Maybe I can get it.

I'm going to be moving over to a cut and stopping moving my weight up, and just concentrating on maintaining what I've earned so far. So if I'm gonna go hard for a PR, tonight's the night.

Do it up!!!!!!!!!

HIIT on an exercise bike gives me a ridiculous amount of DOMS.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Figured I would drop off Carb Nite since I wasn't seeing progress in the last three weeks and felt still a bit soft after last Friday carb nite. Decided to step on scale once more and - BOOM - big drop in weight and bf. So it's three days to go until Rainbow Nerds then!

sphinx

the piano man
I have lots of DOMS lately, specially Legs, that squat - leg extension combo is brutal. Back and chest too.

not so much in calves and arms.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Figured I would drop off Carb Nite since I wasn't seeing progress in the last three weeks and felt still a bit soft after last Friday carb nite. Decided to step on scale once more and - BOOM - big drop in weight and bf. So it's three days to go until Rainbow Nerds then!

And back you go!

Next CN you have, eat some "French Fancies" - I had a box of them once and they weren't anything special, but apparently it's hard to find a reasonable Zingers knockoff in jolly ol' Angle-land.

Chittagong

Gold Member
And back you go!

Next CN you have, eat some "French Fancies" - I had a box of them once and they weren't anything special, but apparently it's hard to find a reasonable Zingers knockoff in jolly ol' Angle-land.

Oh god yes. Someone had those on our picnic but I had to pass simce it wasn't carb nite.

bro1

Banned
I'd be on cloud 9 if I could get DOMS again like I did after my first gym visit. I still remember it so vividly...

You want DOMS? Join me on the 100 squat challenge. I did 100 reps of Squats at 225 last summer in about 30-40 minutes and I couldn't walk right for over a week. It was awful.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You want DOMS? Join me on the 100 squat challenge. I did 100 reps of Squats at 225 last summer in about 30-40 minutes and I couldn't walk right for over a week. It was awful.

I don't know if I want that!

Almost 4 pounds of meat a day.

That's not that tough to do. You get 1 pound of meat just by eating two pieces of chicken breast which most guys can do easily for one meal, and the Rock isn't even taking that much protein supplement.

Don't get me wrong, it's a hell of a lot of food, but considering how hard he probably lifts everyday I thought he'd be doing a little more.

abuC

That's not that tough to do. You get 1 pound of meat just by eating two pieces of chicken breast which most guys can do easily for one meal, and the Rock isn't even taking that much protein supplement.

Don't get me wrong, it's a hell of a lot of food, but considering how hard he probably lifts everyday I thought he'd be doing a little more.

You may be right, I get around 3lbs a day, and I'm nowhere near him but then again, obviously he didn't list the Polar Bear steroids.

blackflag

It is kinda hard to do. I ate 3lbs chicken breast per day for awhile and it suckkked. A lb of chicken is way more than 2 chicken breasts on average......

Now I mix it up more and only eat like 1 1/2 lb chicken per day. red meat for dinner. Eggs and whey for my first meal.

SeanR1221

It is kinda hard to do. I ate 3lbs chicken breast per day for awhile and it suckkked. A lb of chicken is way more than 2 chicken breasts on average......

Now I mix it up more and only eat like 1 1/2 lb chicken per day. red meat for dinner. Eggs and whey for my first meal.

Yeah I was about to say, most chicken breasts aren't 8oz after you cook them.

blackflag

Yeah I was about to say, most chicken breasts aren't 8oz after you cook them.

You weigh before you cook.

Actually I guess it depends on the size chicken breasts you are getting but most aren't that big especially natty chickens. The tyson steroid breasts are pretty large.

I mean, when we're talking about the weight of a meat we're talking about what it is pre-cooked, so that's what Rock is talking about on his list. And most chicken breast pieces are 6-8 oz.

But yea

That's why he only eats 3 pieces of meat a day which translates to a pound and a half of chicken which is easy to do so long as its not overcooked drek. Wet, slightly undercooked chicken with good seasoning? You'd be surprised how quickly it goes down.

But yea, mix up your meats if you have want to have any hope of staying on a diet.

I mean, Rock is full of shit and is probably on roids but I think I'm going to bulk again after reading this. Mostly because I can't stand cutting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom