• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceCold

I believe dips can replace decline to target the lower part of the chest. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

My gym doesn't have a decline bench (unless I want to do them with dumbbells or in the smith machine (lulz)) so I do flat, incline, and dips.

Yes and they are safer too.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I believe dips can replace decline to target the lower part of the chest. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

My gym doesn't have a decline bench (unless I want to do them with dumbbells or in the smith machine (lulz)) so I do flat, incline, and dips.

Yes and they are safer too.

I'm pretty certain the "lower chest" (as referenced for decline bench/dips) is a myth, flat bench handles that part of the pec.

IceCold

I'm pretty certain the "lower chest" (as referenced for decline bench/dips) is a myth, flat bench handles that part of the pec.

You're sure? I thought doing chest dips hit the lower part of the pec better.

dips with the wide style bar right? might have try that.

The bars have a V shape. But you have to lean forward a bit when doing your dip, otherwise you are hitting your triceps more.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You're sure? I thought doing chest dips hit the lower part of the pec better.

Dips are more of a tricep exercise, there is chest involvement though, but you're not "targeting the bottom of your pec," just your pec in general.

The "decline/dips for lower pec" stuff is just some of the older myths around.

Dips are more of a tricep exercise, there is chest involvement though, but you're not "targeting the bottom of your pec," just your pec in general.

I have been doing decline and incline bench. So should i just stick to one? For example, i do 3 sets of 10 for incline and another 3 sets of 10 for decline on the same day.

abuC

Decline is basically an easier flat bench if I recall correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86TYYpaMoA&t=1m35s

Taking pressure off the chest/shoulder area is what I need, my right shoulder is a bit on the shitty side right now. From my own experience though, my chest has always felt more worked with decline than it has with flat or incline.

Don't you have to do both?

I do weighted and unweighted pushups in place of flat bench.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86TYYpaMoA&t=1m35s

Taking pressure off the chest/shoulder area is what I need, my right shoulder is a bit on the shitty side right now. From my own experience though, my chest has always felt more worked with decline than it has with flat or incline.

I believe it makes it easier due to anatomical reasons. If it works for you go for it!

Less worry about specific exercises, more about consistency.

This. Just do something, and keep doing it. If you HAVE to do one thing though I'd stick to flat bench.

Noema

Decline is basically an easier flat bench if I recall correctly.

It is easier. The ROM is shorter.

10uvihM.jpg

abuC

Yeah, which is basically why a "hard arch" or "powerlifting arch" turns flat bench into a decline bench.

So I guess it could be argued that I've been declining instead of flat benching, lol.

Join the dark side!

Your place is with us in the world of the declined.

Alastor3

Hi, im kind of new on NeoGAF and just found out this section. I have the exact same weight, around 103 pounds, since I dont remember when (Im 24). I have a fast metabolism and I just can't gain weight. On top of that, I was always small when i was a child. I was a premature baby of 4 months and weight 1 pound and a half when I came out ahah

So yeah I had an awesome childhood, even if I was thinner than the other kids, I had good friends and never was bullied.

Sorry... maybe I should wrote my whole life...

In 2003 I was diagnosed with Crohn disease and in 2004 was operated (because I was too afraid to take my medicine ahah) anyway, so I have an ileostomy so I wanted to know if there are some exercise I can't do ?

Oh.. I also have a mid Pectus Excavatum so that's the same question.

Here are my info.

Height: I really don't know...
Weight: 103 pounds
Goal: 125 pounds
Current Training Schedule: I might start with the one on the front page
Current Training Equipment Available: a Treadmill... and that's it
Comments: I have no confidence in my body and I really want to change (I said that more than I should in the past) but this time I feel it's different, I have awaken.

Noema

Hi, im kind of new on NeoGAF and just found out this section. I have the exact same weight, around 103 pounds, since I dont remember when (Im 24). I have a fast metabolism and I just can't gain weight. On top of that, I was always small when i was a child. I was a premature baby of 4 months and weight 1 pound and a half when I came out ahah

So yeah I had an awesome childhood, even if I was thinner than the other kids, I had good friends and never was bullied.

In 2003 I was diagnosed with Crohn disease and in 2004 was operated (because I was too afraid to take my medicine ahah) anyway, so I have an ileostomy so I wanted to know if there are some exercise I can't do ?

Here are my info.

Comments: I have no confidence in my body and I really want to change (I said that more than I should in the past) but this time I feel it's different, I have awaken.

How tall are you? Are you really lanky? Do you happen to have hypermobility in the joints?

rando14

Honestly Alastor, considering your medical conditions, you may want to consult with your physician first. They should know what movements to avoid, and then we can help you from there.

Noema

Honestly Alastor, considering your medical conditions, you may want to consult with your physician first. They should know what movements to avoid, and then we can help you from there.

I agree. His pectus excabatum is particularly concerning, since it's usually a symptom of Marfan's Syndrome. Hence my question regarding possible hypermobility (also a common symptom of Marfan's.)

Alastor3

How tall are you? Are you really lanky? Do you happen to have hypermobility in the joints?

Sorry im french I don't really know how to say it but I think the last time my height was 1meter57 and no I dont have hypermobility.

Awww men I don't really want to get an appointment just to tell me what I can do. I know I can't really get on my belly. So let's forget the sit-up. My last trainer said it shouldnt be a problem to do whatever else I like and can do.

I mean, Im in a workout class for school and I can do every exercises.

Noema

Sorry im french I don't really know how to say it but I think the last time my height was 1meter57 and no I dont have hypermobility.

Awww men I don't really want to get an appointment just to tell me what I can do. I know I can't really get on my belly. So let's forget the sit-up. My last trainer said it shouldnt be a problem to do whatever else I like and can do.

Look. I understand how you feel. And I would really like to tell you "Do Starting Strength, do squats, deadlifts and presses, eat your brains out and drink a gallon of milk a day". Because it's the best way for you to gain weight quickly, to get strong and to get a ton of self-esteem and self-respect.

But I'm don't feel qualified in this case to do so. But you could try asking Mark Rippetoe himself. He has coached tens of thousands of people; he probably has experience with trainees with your condition. You could also try asking some of the certified Starting Strength coaches.

Buffalo just got one, but I like my $5/mo gym...it's close. =)

Most days I can get the rack all to myself in the morning.

5$/mo? Where do you go? LA Fitness' 30$/mo is about the cheapest you can get a membership for around here. Not including small no-chain gyms, but I'd rather have the pass that lets me go to any LA Fitness in the area.

I feel like the buffalo gym conversation happens every couple of months, but I'm satisfied with the $35/mo I pay for the BAC. It's obviously kind of expensive for the area, but there's three squat racks and four benches (the "suburban" location). As well as plenty of space for DLs and Dip/Pull/Chin bars.

Alastor3

Look. I understand how you feel. And I would really like to tell you "Do Starting Strength, do squats, deadlifts and presses, eat your brains out and drink a gallon of milk a day". Because it's the best way for you to gain weight quickly, to get strong and to get a ton of self-esteem and self-respect.

But I'm don't feel qualified in this case to do so. But you could try asking Mark Rippetoe himself. He has coached tens of thousands of people; he probably has experience with trainees with your condition. You could also try asking some of the certified Starting Strength coaches.

Thank you and I understand your concern. I will look into that.

grumble

Here are my info.

I don't have the experience in your special xonditions, but you should consider the original post workouts if possible. It would be an effective way to gain some muscle. But you'll need to eat for it, and make sure you get the protein and calories required to bulk up.

CrankyJay

Banned
I feel like the buffalo gym conversation happens every couple of months, but I'm satisfied with the $35/mo I pay for the BAC. It's obviously kind of expensive for the area, but there's three squat racks and four benches (the "suburban" location). As well as plenty of space for DLs and Dip/Pull/Chin bars.

What is the suburban location?

If you're using their classes, locker room, or other services that are included in that $35/mo that's fine (I was only paying $27 when I was a member there, did it go up?), otherwise it's a complete rip off.

I only remember 1 power cage (maybe 2) at the Eastern Hills BAC but I could be mistaken.

Szu

My wife and I just came back from watching Totem (current Cirque de Soleil NY show). There were so many impressive athletes, but the one that stood out for us was this woman.

719550907.jpg

131829195.jpg

Her name is Alevtyna Titarenko. I found out that she's also an Europe IFBB Amateur competitor and a mom.

Wow, much respect to her.

Well, to the rest of the performers, too.

Petrie

Banned

It really does. So many of us (even though I'm in Syracuse now).

Paid $20 a month at Best Fitness myself, worth it because the Tonawanda location was a minute drive from my house.

Those Cirque de Soleil gymnasts are so amazing.

Semi-related question:

Is an 8-pack just a matter of genetics?
Or does everyone have the disposition of eight packs?

Those Cirque de Soleil gymnasts are so amazing.

Semi-related question:

Is an 8-pack just a matter of genetics?
Or does everyone have the disposition of eight packs?

I think its genetic. I know Arnie barely had a 4-pack. It tends to be the smaller framed guys that have them. I can feel my lower ones but definitlely can't see them.

Also that guy in the Cirque De Sole picture above has the best obliques I have ever seen. I have never seen anyone, not even pro body-builders with that many visable.

theytookourjobz

I think its genetic. I know Arnie barely had a 4-pack. It tends to be the smaller framed guys that have them. I can feel my lower ones but definitlely can't see them.

Also that guy in the Cirque De Sole picture above has the best obliques I have ever seen. I have never seen anyone, not even pro body-builders with that many visable.

High level gymnasts are usually pretty ripped. Very low body fat and extremely strong cores.

grumble

Funny, I've always heard that decline was for the lower pec, as it connects in a sheet to your sternum and therefore muscular regions can be targeted. I personally have found dips to be effective for both the triceps and shoulders/pecs. That being said, you're a lot stronger than me in this and probably have much more firsthand experience.

Petrie

Banned
Funny, I've always heard that decline was for the lower pec, as it connects in a sheet to your sternum and therefore muscular regions can be targeted. I personally have found dips to be effective for both the triceps and shoulders/pecs. That being said, you're a lot stronger than me in this and probably have much more firsthand experience.

Follow the science behind things instead of anecdotal evidence and you'll go much farther.

Dash27

I cant speak to decline bench, I dont know that I've ever done that. Dips though I just started doing weighted dips as assistance work on 5/3/1 and I can tell you that I felt that shit in my chest the following day first time out. Not just lower, all over. Felt great.

Speaking of chest work, I need a Starting Strength for upper body. I'm feeling a bit T-Rex. I need to do the bro workouts or something. Every day is upper body day. Bench, curls, dips, ab work, chins, pull ups, shrugs, rows, push ups ...oh and: NECK HARNESS AND WRIST CURLS!

8byte

Banned
"For time" doesn't mean what you think it does. I "go hard" every time I'm at the gym. Doesn't mean I'm doing things "for time".

So again: we have to change the foundations of CF to make it work. At that point, we are CF is name only. Throwing the name on the door to lure in more members, but not actually practicing CF.

"For time" is not a designator for bad form. You can maintain good form while increasing your amount of repetitions accomplished (while maintaining good form) by decreasing your periods of rest, both during and between exercises, and still maintain proper form without speeding through your workout.

Being smart, and an individual, can make cross fit a safe and viable program. I'm personally not a fan, but lets not skew this one way and ignore all factors simply to demean a program that you don't like. Sure, most people do CF wrong, that doesn't make the CF philosophies bad, it just means most people execute them incorrectly.

What is the suburban location?

If you're using their classes, locker room, or other services that are included in that $35/mo that's fine (I was only paying $27 when I was a member there, did it go up?), otherwise it's a complete rip off.

I only remember 1 power cage (maybe 2) at the Eastern Hills BAC but I could be mistaken.

The one by the Boulevard Mall.

Cagey

Banned

I've had no choice, given my apartment building's fitness center, but Smith Machine decline works perfectly fine for me for this particular exercise.

In terms of decline v. flat, Dorian considers the decline to be a more natural movement (bringing arms across and downward). Mainly, in terms of injury prevention, I noticed I avoided any pec/tendon strains until Hurricane Sandy shuttered my building's gym and I had to use the one next door, which had no decline, and four weeks of flat bench later my upper pec/shoulder/collarbone area hated me.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian-yates-blood-guts-1.htm

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Don't just take my word for it, google the subject, there's info all over bud. Just because I'm strong doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about, I could be an anomaly that simply gets strong scratching my ass and spooning beefaroni into my pie hole.

Follow the science behind things instead of anecdotal evidence and you'll go much farther.

Science is not to be trusted, those scientists are shifty individuals.

I cant speak to decline bench, I dont know that I've ever done that. Dips though I just started doing weighted dips as assistance work on 5/3/1 and I can tell you that I felt that shit in my chest the following day first time out. Not just lower, all over. Felt great.

Yeah, I've had the same experience.

That said, I REALLY hate that I'm having to do 2x a week right now. I miss doing weighted dips and squatting more. I'm gonna have to work in some shit at the gym at the prison one of these days, but working midnights has me exhausted and the 2 hour drive sucks my ass. Something's got to give. I may just start going to work 30 minutes early to get in the gym.

Veezy

que?
Crossfitters, please stop defending the "for time doesn't mean get sloppy" nonsense.

That is what is taught at level ones. This is the teaching to, quite literally, THOUSANDS of "coaches."

Nobody is saying that intense metcons are bad, but anybody doing high rep Olympic movements for time has no idea what they're talking about in terms of what's effective for "fitness." These are the same people that advocate the god damn butterfly kip, responsible for untold amounts of SLAP tears.

That's why you get shit. I understand that YOU may not do it or YOUR box may not tolerate it, but if YOU or YOUR BOX'S programming is high rep Olympic movements, well, you're not qualified to discusses a damn thing in regards to safe and effective training.

Nobody is saying that high rep/high volume metcons don't have their place. Crossfit just has a real nasty habit of forgetting that whole over training concept. While the verbage may have slightly changed, nobody in their right mind who understands how the human body works can honestly say that a person is going to do 50 snatches with perfect form when their trying to compete with somebody for time.

Edit: THEY HAVE THEIR OWN GOD DAMNED PAGE SPECIFICALLY FOR INJURES ON THE HQ'S WEBSITE. I MEAN, COME ON.

P44

Height: 5' 9"/10" (its been a while)
Weight: 140 pounds
Goal: 126 pounds
Current Training Schedule: Little scraps of cardio, about to start putting more time into my swimming (more for other reasons though)
Current Training Equipment Available: None.
Comments: I've got hypermobility syndrome or something, and as a result, my joints are shit; hence the swimming, the zero-impact nature of it is useful this soon after a dislocation. I guess I'm just looking at trimming the gut down significantly so its, well, flat I guess (dont really care about getting massively cut or w/e) and getting rid of this neck fat I seem to have. I'm a complete newb to all things fitness though, so, fire away with advice. I'm probably more interested in getting fit so I can throw myself into my sports properly.

CrankyJay

Banned
The one by the Boulevard Mall.

I used to go to that one. I liked it. The free weight room was pretty big from what I recall...I was a member there before they did their renovation.

There used to be this absolutely ripped chick that worked out there in tight black workout pants/shorts, I was so enthralled with her.

Veezy

que?
Literally, I dunno man. I know nothing. I just feel like I have a lot of abdominal fat and am going purely by conventional wisdom.

Your body weight is made up of:

Fat
Bones
Organs
Water
Muscle

If you have a lot of abdominal fat but you weight140, you probably don't need to aim to lose weight. You need to aim to gain muscle mass so that you (1) can even out your body shape and (2) can start working towards overall long term image goals.

You don't want to be 127 and 5'10. That's, like, unhealthy. A solid 180 is a better goal. Smart food intake combined with basic barbell programing (especially at your current weight/build) is going to do wonders for you.

P44

Your body weight is made up of:

Fat
Bones
Organs
Water
Muscle

If you have a lot of abdominal fat but you weight140, you probably don't need to aim to lose weight. You need to aim to gain muscle mass so that you (1) can even out your body shape and (2) can start working towards overall long term image goals.

You don't want to be 127 and 5'10. That's, like, unhealthy. A solid 180 is a better goal. Smart food intake combined with basic barbell programing (especially at your current weight/build) is going to do wonders for you.

What does smart food intake entail, and whats a basic barbell programme like? I mean, I read through the OP and just see some general numbers, but no specifics on weight, which I'm assuming means like, figure it out yourself with regards to weight? Also, wouldnt building a little contribute to the neck fat thing?

theytookourjobz

What does smart food intake entail, and whats a basic barbell programme like? I mean, I read through the OP and just see some general numbers, but no specifics on weight, which I'm assuming means like, figure it out yourself with regards to weight? Also, wouldnt building a little contribute to the neck fat thing?

Eat real foods (meat, vegetables, fruits, and other perishables) and the barbell programs for beginners are usually linear (adding weight each workout) and most of the time start with an empty bar to focus on form and technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom