• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

P44

Eat real foods (meat, vegetables, fruits, and other perishables) and the barbell programs for beginners are usually linear (adding weight each workout) and most of the time start with an empty bar to focus on form and technique.

Ok, the food thing is my diet currently, which I'm pretty happy about. As an addendum, I mean, I dunno, is it possible to achieve this sort of thing through sport? I never found pure exercise that interesting, but loved playing sports.

theytookourjobz

Ok, the food thing is my diet currently, which I'm pretty happy about. As an addendum, I mean, I dunno, is it possible to achieve this sort of thing through sport? I never found pure exercise that interesting, but loved playing sports.

You can lean out playing sports for sure. But you won't build muscle mass. Depends on your goals.

Mully

Had fire practice this morning and got my ass kicked. Normally I work the ladder, but today I was working the engine and the hoses. My traps and shoulders are done. Someone turned the pressure too high on the hose and it took four of us to keep the hose from going nuts.

I got OHP day later today, hopefully I'll be able to throw up my goal reps.

Had fire practice this morning and got my ass kicked. Normally I work the ladder, but today I was working the engine and the hoses. My traps and shoulders are done. Someone turned the pressure too high on the hose and it took four of us to keep the hose from going nuts.

I got OHP day later today, hopefully I'll be able to throw up my goal reps.
Not with that attitude, you baby.

Throw some heavy shit up!

edgefusion

Hey guys, I have a little cross-trainer related question. I'm finding I have to lean really far forward to grip the handlebars, if I try to stand up straight the handles are ripped out of my reach when they move forward. Is this normal? It feels quite uncomfortable but other than move the handlebars into the fixed position, I don't know what to do about it.

SeanR1221

Did some front squats for the first time in awhile. Forgot how taxing they can be on the upper back. I'm not an especially strong squatter but here's my two heaviest reps this morning.

245# http://youtu.be/OF1tP0pervc

255# http://youtu.be/Nd3BoaIS4h8

Nice. I'd like to incorporate these on squat day eventually.

Back to the gym tomorrow after a rest week. Felt so weird not going at all (except deadlifts on Wednesday so ill take those off next week).

despire

I'd like to incorporate power cleans back into my routine again. Left them out last summer when I had problems with my elbow and they aggravated the issue.

Problem is that I'm doing 5/3/1 with the bodybuilding template and I'm not sure where to put them. Back day is kind of full already though I guess I could do them as a warmup to DL. But I was thinking if it would be ok to do them on the leg day after squatting? I'd rather do them as a "full lift" rather than as a warmup to something else.

Would look something like this:

Squat 5/3/1
Power Clean 4x3
Leg Press 4x15
Hanging Leg Raise 4x12
Ab Wheel 4x15 or bodyweight calf raises

theytookourjobz

Probably going to get crushed for saying this but I think you'd be fine doing power cleans instead of deadlifts. Similar stimulus, bar moves faster because of the lighter weights but at the same time less taxing on CNS for the same reason. Anecdotally, I never deadlift and I clean a lot (4-5 days a week) and my deadlift nunbers have consistently gone up whenever I test them.

What's the best way to build up the neck muscles? I'm clueless in this area.

saw some old guy in the gym use this

neck+harness.jpg

despire

Probably going to get crushed for saying this but I think you'd be fine doing power cleans instead of deadlifts. Similar stimulus, bar moves faster because of the lighter weights but at the same time less taxing on CNS for the same reason. Anecdotally, I never deadlift and I clean a lot (4-5 days a week) and my deadlift nunbers have consistently gone up whenever I test them.

Yeah, I'm not interested in swapping deadlift for cleans. Just want to know where to put them in my program.

Go_Ly_Dow

Neck harness + cable/pulley machine

Don't go too heavy and slow and controlled reps.

I tried on one of my old shirts to see how much I've grown (~20kg diff):

Awesome stuff man :)

Can you specify your height and weight, before and after?

How long you been working out for?

Srsly

Banned
Neck muscles generally scale proportionally to overall muscle mass. If you are doing heavy compound lifts, your neck muscles will get a good workout as they become tense during the movment. I don't see any reason to isolate the neck muscles and to be quite honest it's putting yourself in danger unnecessarily. You could easily slip a disc which will make your life hell for a while.

ezrarh

Neck muscles generally scale proportionally to overall muscle mass. If you are doing heavy compound lifts, your neck muscles will get a good workout as they become tense during the movment. I don't see any reason to isolate the neck muscles and to be quite honest it's putting yourself in danger unnecessarily. You could easily slip a disc which will make your life hell for a while.

Yeah, unless you're already advance, I don't think it's necessary if you're doing other compound lifts. Anecdotal but - a couple of my friends were like "where did your neck go" after not seeing me for a summer after I started doing heavy compound exercises.

theytookourjobz

If you're a football player and need a big solid neck to absorb impact then by all means, otherwise what he said.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Cheers for the info guys.

Re the safety issue, I agree, I'll keep away from isolated exercises and continue with the compound lifts.

Davidion

Are you doing rear delt work to balance your shoulders? If your shoulders are drawn forward because your rear delts are weak, you can get impingements and other painful problems. Try some gentle shoulder rehab work (face pulls, rear delt raises, scarecrows, cuban rotations, external rotations, etc) before you get an MRI.

Didn't see this earlier.

I actually am doing a lot of face pulls to compensate for my weaker rear delts. I'll also look into the other exercises you mentioned; thank you very much for listing these. My main issue is that I don't know how I may have injured it; I make it a point to not put a lot of strain on my rotator cuffs. In fact, I have never felt excess strain on my shoulders after lifting. The pain started after I woke up and I often sleep on my stomach with my arms below my pillow, so for all I know I turned the wrong way while sleeping.

The reason I was considering a MRI was the fact that I have that shoulder pain, pain in the arch of my foot which may or may not be a metatarsal fracture, as well as minor lower back or knee pains here and there. Yeah, it's been one of those years, lol.

Kyaw

Awesome stuff man :)

Can you specify your height and weight, before and after?

How long you been working out for?

Height's always been 5' 4''. About 54kg before & 74kg now.

Been working for about 8 months now, was on SS for about 6 of those months and now switched to GSLP.

abuC

Didn't see this earlier.

I actually am doing a lot of face pulls to compensate for my weaker rear delts. I'll also look into the other exercises you mentioned; thank you very much for listing these. My main issue is that I don't know how I may have injured it; I make it a point to not put a lot of strain on my rotator cuffs. In fact, I have never felt excess strain on my shoulders after lifting. The pain started after I woke up and I often sleep on my stomach with my arms below my pillow, so for all I know I turned the wrong way while sleeping.

The reason I was considering a MRI was the fact that I have that shoulder pain, pain in the arch of my foot which may or may not be a metatarsal fracture, as well as minor lower back or knee pains here and there. Yeah, it's been one of those years, lol.

That sounds exactly like what happened to me, I did some upright rows for the first time in maybe a year, then the next day while I'm in and out of sleep I rolled over and my shoulder "popped". Since then I've had a really dull ache and generally a really fatigued feeling in my shoulder, sometimes I'll get a sharp pain but then it just turns into a dull ache. From what I've been told, I have a strain, but my symptoms are almost word for word what shoulder impingement are.

I've been doing a lot of facepulls, lying external rotations, shoulder rotations and stretching. It's getting better but taking a really long time, have you tried lifting with a neutral grip? As long as my palms are facing one another I can lift relatively heavy weights. The only positive is that my shoulders are a pretty good size already, or else I'd be pissed off right now.

abuC

The only thing I don't like about my new gym is this, who was the genius that made the decision to put the squat rack on the 3rd floor? Everytime I go up and down the steps I feel like my life may end.

Szu

The only thing I don't like about my new gym is this, who was the genius that made the decision to put the squat rack on the 3rd floor? Everytime I go up and down the steps I feel like my life may end.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- Kelly Clarkson

Davidion

That sounds exactly like what happened to me, I did some upright rows for the first time in maybe a year, then the next day while I'm in and out of sleep I rolled over and my shoulder "popped". Since then I've had a really dull ache and generally a really fatigued feeling in my shoulder, sometimes I'll get a sharp pain but then it just turns into a dull ache. From what I've been told, I have a strain, but my symptoms are almost word for word what shoulder impingement are.

I've been doing a lot of facepulls, lying external rotations, shoulder rotations and stretching. It's getting better but taking a really long time, have you tried lifting with a neutral grip? As long as my palms are facing one another I can lift relatively heavy weights. The only positive is that my shoulders are a pretty good size already, or else I'd be pissed off right now.

With my shoulder condition, whatever it may be, I actually don't have an issue with any of my lifts. I actually did military presses yesterday with little issues. It's pull-ups that really puts a strain on it and causes a lot of discomfort. I think it may be impingement as well but I won't settle on anything until I see a doctor.

I just tried it now. If I do a shoulder press motion, with my forearms pointing up, there's a little sensation but nothing substantial. If I lift my arms straight up and fully extended, then the pain starts to set in when my arm hits about 45 degrees upwards. Also, if I extend my arm and sweep it across my face in a counter-clockwise circle, there'll be pain as my arm extends up and away from my body.

So basically the pain is worst when my arm is extended straight up and pointedly slightly towards or away from my body. It's hard to explain but I'm sure a doctor can ID it.

Is it normal for your triceps to be taking the brunt of the lifting when doing pull-ups? I'm doing P90x and whenever I do pull-up exercises it's my triceps that give out way before my back does. It feels like it's impeding my progress. Also, doing chin-ups sometimes puts a lot of pressure on the inside of my right elbow, what could that be?

Noema

It should be your biceps. I've never had any fatigue in my triceps from doing pullups.

Yeah. It's weird. The proximal end of the long head of the triceps does attach to the scapula, and it aids in adducing the arm (ie, pulling the humerus towards the body), but most of the work in pullups is done by the lats and biceps.

I tried on one of my old shirts to see how much I've grown (~20kg diff):

Not only are you visibly more muscular; your posture is completely different.

Poker360

New to this thread, quick question if anyone could help.

I'm a skinny person, 5' 8" 140 pounds. I use to be about 170 and shorter when I was younger (I'm almost 21).

When I was heavier i gained weight in my stomach and chest. I still have "skin" there i guess, i don't think it's fat, but it isn't very tight or anything. It's quite the contrast to my tight and thin back.

Does anyone have suggestions to get rid of this? I've just started to care lately (and removing soda from my diet) and have been doing sit ups and push ups every night when i have time.

abuC

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- Kelly Clarkson

I'm just afraid that falling down a flight of steps the day after squats might actually kill me ha.

With my shoulder condition, whatever it may be, I actually don't have an issue with any of my lifts. I actually did military presses yesterday with little issues. It's pull-ups that really puts a strain on it and causes a lot of discomfort. I think it may be impingement as well but I won't settle on anything until I see a doctor.

I just tried it now. If I do a shoulder press motion, with my forearms pointing up, there's a little sensation but nothing substantial. If I lift my arms straight up and fully extended, then the pain starts to set in when my arm hits about 45 degrees upwards. Also, if I extend my arm and sweep it across my face in a counter-clockwise circle, there'll be pain as my arm extends up and away from my body.

So basically the pain is worst when my arm is extended straight up and pointedly slightly towards or away from my body. It's hard to explain but I'm sure a doctor can ID it.

That sucks, sounds like impingement as well, get better. I know first hand how annoying a shoulder injury can be.

Szu

I'm just afraid that falling down a flight of steps the day after squats might actually kill me ha.

Well, don't jump to front squats anytime soon unless you actually want to kill yourself on a flight of stairs. Dem jelly legs.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I'm somewhat proud of myself. I've went to the gym two weeks in a row, which for me is a new record! :D

Yeah, yeah I know, that's somewhat pathetic, but before every time I signed up for the gym, something got in the way (school, work, laziness, etc.), so two weeks in a row is a pretty big deal for me. More importantly, though, I think I'm actually seeing results! My biceps actually feel firmer/harder, even when I'm not flexing! That's never happened before. Usually, after a workout they'd appear firmer/harder (which I'm pretty sure is SUPPOSED to happen), but after a few hours they turn to jelly again. My last trip was on Friday, so it does seem this is providing me dividends.

Who woulda thought you'd see improvement by actually sticking to something?

Tash

Just wondered: Does Protein Powder lose nutrients if it gets warmed up?
I like to make oatmeal in the morning which basically is water, oats and protein powder, mix it then put it in the micro for about 30 seconds to warm it up.

Just wondering if that's breaking down the powder in one way or another..

despire

I'd like to incorporate power cleans back into my routine again. Left them out last summer when I had problems with my elbow and they aggravated the issue.

Problem is that I'm doing 5/3/1 with the bodybuilding template and I'm not sure where to put them. Back day is kind of full already though I guess I could do them as a warmup to DL. But I was thinking if it would be ok to do them on the leg day after squatting? I'd rather do them as a "full lift" rather than as a warmup to something else.

Would look something like this:

Squat 5/3/1
Power Clean 4x3
Leg Press 4x15
Hanging Leg Raise 4x12
Ab Wheel 4x15 or bodyweight calf raises

Anyone?

Davidion

That sucks, sounds like impingement as well, get better. I know first hand how annoying a shoulder injury can be.

Thank you. I've seen you talking about your issues with pain here as well. Here's to better health, eh? ;)

Did.

120 X 8 reps on OHP this 3X3 week.

I have the OHP jelly.

So I'm somewhat proud of myself. I've went to the gym two weeks in a row, which for me is a new record! :D

Post your schedule and see if it's something you can add on to. The more inertia you can put behind your gym attendance frequency from the get go, the better.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So there's no point in doing them after the main lift? I guess I'll do them as a warm up then.

5/3/1 isn't rigid. Wendler says to do them first and program them as a main lift because of how intense they are.

Anyway, the great thing about 5/3/1 is how versatile it is, don't be afraid to move shit around.

kylej

Banned

Yeah, yeah I know, that's somewhat pathetic, but before every time I signed up for the gym, something got in the way (school, work, laziness, etc.), so two weeks in a row is a pretty big deal for me. More importantly, though, I think I'm actually seeing results! My biceps actually feel firmer/harder, even when I'm not flexing! That's never happened before. Usually, after a workout they'd appear firmer/harder (which I'm pretty sure is SUPPOSED to happen), but after a few hours they turn to jelly again. My last trip was on Friday, so it does seem this is providing me dividends.

Congrats. Now you've got to keep going for the rest of your life.

andycapps

Congrats. Now you've got to keep going for the rest of your life.

90 minutes a day, 6 days a week, for the rest of your life. And need to eat 6 meals a day to keep your metabolism going. That's the secret to success.
Gym picture from last week

SeanR1221

Nice job. My motto is: plan your day around the gym, not the gym around the day. Each week I figure out when I'm going to the gym and stick to that schedule. It's worked for me.

_Isaac

This might be weird, but does anybody else get stretch marks on their arms? I only have them on my arms like the bicep area, and I don't remember getting them until I started going to the gym. I'm not quite sure though. It's just a little weird, and it's not like I have these big guns all of a sudden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom