• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

She has dat arch but who cares. She's benching more than I can and she's half my age.

I'm going to go in a corner and eat peanutbutter.

ezrarh

My friend linked me that video yesterday, I think my max bench is about the same as hers. Doesn't matter what the arch is, that's impressive and she doesn't even look that huge. Not that a 13 year old girl can be huge.

kylej

Banned
Hopefully that type of weight is ok on her body, especially since it'll be starting to go crazy via puberty. If there's one thing Russians can do it's produce extraordinary weightlifters so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

ToxicAdam

She has dat arch but who cares. She's benching more than I can and she's half my age.

I'm going to go in a corner and eat peanutbutter.

Why did you mention her sex and age? You aren't allowed to bring your judgmental, dismissive attitudes and should only post one word sentences of encouragement instead. Just kidding.

It's insanely impressive. Just to lift that much weight off the bar and stabilize it is amazing to me. Forget what happens afterwords. Even having the dexterity to arch your back like that while under load is pretty incredible.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My friend linked me that video yesterday, I think my max bench is about the same as hers. Doesn't matter what the arch is, that's impressive and she doesn't even look that huge. Not that a 13 year old girl can be huge.

She's pretty built. That top is hiding it. Look at her back (what you can see of it) as she arches and unracks.

BumRush

Is there any correlation between protein shakes and the common flu?

It seems every time I get sick my family likes to tell me it's because "of all those protein shakes."

I'd guess it's more from touching equipment then touching your mouth and nose without washing your hands (if you're getting sick a lot) but definitely not from protein shakes...

ezrarh

She's pretty built. That top is hiding it. Look at her back (what you can see of it) as she arches and unracks.

Okay, I didn't watch the end of the video but yeah her back is built. From first glance she obviously looks bigger than most 13 year old girls but I think the wide shoulders hides it.

f0nz0

Is there any correlation between protein shakes and the common flu?

It seems every time I get sick my family likes to tell me it's because "of all those protein shakes."

No..BUT..speaking from personal experience, I do believe that after intense, exhausting workouts I was more susceptible to getting sick...maybe immune system kinda takes a back seat to the gainzzzzzzzzz

SeanR1221

365 at 170 but I could probably do more.

Mines close to that (365 dead, 205 bench).

I dunno, just work on getting your bench up. I feel like my bench lagged because I had a lot of form issues. Elbows flairing out, barely an arch, back not tight, over extending my shoulders, etc.

Mully

Deadlifted 245 by 12 reps today in this 3X3 week. I already added 20lbs to my DL after last cycle and I'm debating on whether or not I should do it again.

balddemon

Banned
My bench sucked (215 3x5 @ 185) because I'm a bitch. That only lasted like 1 day. Next workout I had to deload, and I never got past 205 again.

sphinx

the piano man
So today I lifted my own weight on Bench Press, went with a friend how spotted and I was a bit more confident.

is lifting our own weights on flat BP considered poor, somewhat (barely) decent, quite o.k or remarkable?

rando14

So today I lifted my own weight on Bench Press, went with a friend how spotted and I was a bit more confident.

is lifting our own weights on flat BP considered poor, somewhat (barely) decent, quite o.k or remarkable?

Always take pride in your lifts. Congrats on a pr!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.strstd.com/

But you shouldn't focus on comparing yourself to others, instead contextualise your numbers to your own progress and circumstances. Benchmarks like this are mostly useful as a tool for helping to determine if your current programming is effective or if it's hitting a plateau.

sphinx

the piano man
Always take pride in your lifts. Congrats on a pr!

I will, Thanks! I wished I always had a spotter, it makes everything easier...

http://www.strstd.com/

But you shouldn't focus on comparing yourself to others, instead contextualise your numbers to your own progress and circumstances. Benchmarks like this are mostly useful as a tool for helping to determine if your current programming is effective or if it's hitting a plateau.

It says I am nearing Intermediate level, if I understood that correctly. It also gives me the 1 rep max weight I should try, right?? man, that'd be scary hehe.

well, I am o.k with those results. Thanks! :D

Noema

I can barely hit 190 on the bench but my dead is alright.
What's wrong with me.

Do you have long arms?

I can pull 450lb+ but can barely bench 200lb. I do have a shoulder injury but my anthropometry is very favorable towards deadlifting (long arms so my back is almost vertical as I pull).

At any rate, if you are not happy with one of your lifts it means you just have to work harder at it.

Szu

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Are the enzymes that ketosis needs "used up" after one use, so that the body needs to keep creating more and more and more constantly when in ketosis?

Once you get out of ketosis, but your body is used to making these enzymes, is it much easier to get back into ketosis than the first time?

Srsly

Banned
Are the enzymes that ketosis needs "used up" after one use, so that the body needs to keep creating more and more and more constantly when in ketosis?

Once you get out of ketosis, but your body is used to making these enzymes, is it much easier to get back into ketosis than the first time?

Why don't you try keto again and find out ;)

Lots of people do well with cyclical or targeted keto where they only have carbs once a week or around workouts.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Why don't you try keto again and find out ;)

Lots of people do well with cyclical or targeted keto where they only have carbs once a week or around workouts.

I am going to try again but eat more fat and get more magnesium, sodium, and potassium this time. I want to know more about how the enzymes work though.

blackflag

If you want to do Keto you need to eat a lot of fat. Don't be scared. I always eat around 140 grams a day when I do Keto. once you are on it for awhile and your body is used to burning ketones instead of glucose you can experiment with dropping fat a little. Problem is if you don't eat enough fat and your body isn't adapted, you'll be converting protein to glucose.

Some people seem to not be able to function well on keto or it just doesn't work for them. You could be one of those.

I recommend a carbup at the most once a week. I always did it once every 2 weeks and I was fine but when starting you need to go at least 2 weeks before a carb load.

zoukka

Could you guys give pointers towards building my diet better. What resources do you guys use to plan and measure your nutrition? I now eat just "normal", aka when hungry and not measuring anything. Basically my diet goes like this:

Breakfast: Bread/turkey/cucumber/cheese/eggs -or- Quark with berries.
Lunch: Whatever home made normal food people eat. Meat/salad and the devil (rice/pasta/potatoes)
Dinner: same as above.
Supper: Same as breakfast

Here's my info:

Height: 182
Weight: 73
Goal: More strength/mass
Current Training Schedule: 3 times a week, Starting Strength
Current Training Equipment Available: Full gym

I'm at the point where nutrition is probably keeping my sets at where they are. I've been doing SS for a while now and I have pretty good hang of the basic sets now. Maybe altering the routine could work for me at this point.

So last week at the gym (I assume) I did something to my lower right side right above my buttock. It's like right below my waist. I just remember waking up the next morning and it bothering me.

I decided yesterday to start icing it throughout the day. The pain isn't terrible, and it feels like maybe it has gotten a little better, but I know I can irritate it by trying to sprint or walking a lot.

Sucks as I really want to get back to the gym and start a new routine, but I know I need to wait so I don't re-aggravate it. Really hoping it's a pulled muscle and not something else.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
According to that site, my OHP (non calculated 1RM) is past advanced. woohoooo

Beast. Especially with such a difficult lift to make progress on. I'll be happy once the combination of form adjustments and actually having regular access to a bench bring my presses in line with my squat and dead.

It says I am nearing Intermediate level, if I understood that correctly. It also gives me the 1 rep max weight I should try, right?? man, that'd be scary hehe.

well, I am o.k with those results. Thanks! :D

Nice work! It's always good to get a sense of perspective; remember that to a lot of the general population even intermediate numbers are astronomical. If you want to try a max, do some google searching for any one of the guides written for powerlifters, don't just take a number from an equation and jump in, as you may injure yourself. The number given is an estimated 1RM, but as you increase the reps you're using to calculate from the formulas get less and less accurate. Use it as motivation but follow an established scheme, as it's both safer and more effective at warming you up without fatigue, which = bigger 1RM.

Petrie

Banned
Definitely. I still feel uncomfortable about how I look even though I know I look better than before.

I'll always have the issue where I'm worried about being too scrawny. Makes cutting down to reasonable body fat levels difficult.

Everyone has their issues.

SeanR1221

I'll always have the issue where I'm worried about being too scrawny. Makes cutting down to reasonable body fat levels difficult.

Yeah that makes sense since we were on opposite sides of the spectrum. Everyone knows the fat guy has self esteem issues. People forget about the scrawny guy.

No..BUT..speaking from personal experience, I do believe that after intense, exhausting workouts I was more susceptible to getting sick...maybe immune system kinda takes a back seat to the gainzzzzzzzzz
I used to have this problem when I wasn't eating enough/properly. I would either be cutting way too much or relying on too few food groups and/or shitty foods in general. I don't think a hard workout should cause you to feel shitty if you're eating/resting properly.

Szu

Speaking of bench presses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bxAc97K2I5M#!

It's a weird video, because it's damn impressive for a girl of her age to do that .. but that extreme arch just kind of negates it all.

If anything, her arch is nothing compared to this lady.

Female_bench_press_record1.gif

Davidion

I think it's great. Hell, it's a major personal benchmark for me.

Honestly, I think what lifters tend to forget is that the average male is so weak that doing their own weight on the major lifts are usually out of the question. I think I read somewhere that the average guy can't bench 135 lbs or something like that?

But anyways, congratulations!

ToxicAdam

lol .. That's crazier than any crossfit gif I have seen posted in here.

She's a powerlifter. Of course she's gonna have the arch. That's common in the sport.

Obviously, I am pretty ignorant to the sport. When I see people talking about arches, I'd always assumed to was arching your lower back while your shoulder blades still remain in contact with the bench. I didn't know it was legal to arch the entire back.

Imm0rt4l

I know that feel bro. Gotta let old things go tho. I'm down to 198 and feel small, most people tell me I'm big but I don't see it. 13 lbs to go.

Beast. Especially with such a difficult lift to make progress on. I'll be happy once the combination of form adjustments and actually having regular access to a bench bring my presses in line with my squat and dead.

Sitting pretty @ 190. I really want 225 by next summer. Getting two plates and pushing that over my head? That would be so amazing.

My friend said it looked like I had about 20% BF today.

FML, fuck bulking, fuck everything.

(I know I'm really like 12% and water bloated).

fatty <3

Body image issues die hard.

Yup. At 235 and I still feel small. Just wait till I cut. My bitching will be at another level lol.

Also, this 4 week chest specialization program is fantastic. It really was one of my best decisions that I have made in the gym. Pecs, tris, and delts have really grown. I miss working out my legs hard though. I want to start a leg specialization program next month but I want to cut from April to the middle of July. So I will just do 5/3/1 and push myself as hard as I can.

Been looking more and more at those chubby shorts. Ready to order some in the next few weeks.

Szu

I feel bloated and old. If my cut goes smoothly, I can address the bloated feeling.

Feeling old is a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom