• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Did 3x5 deadlifts at 225 today, easy! So fucking happy with how far I've come barely being able to pull 135 one time :)

Such a great feeling. You can't argue with numbers. Some days you might not feel strong, but you cannot argue with results.

blackflag

My 4th of July evening workout at my apartment gym. Right out the window there's a ton of people and acquaintances drinking and partying at the pool. I got that wtf am I doing feel for a moment...then I realized its totally worth it.
ZScPr5Kl.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My 4th of July evening workout at my apartment gym. Right out the window there's a ton of people and acquaintances drinking and partying at the pool. I got that wtf am I doing feel for a moment...then I realized its totally worth it.

What a nice apartment gym! I know that feeling. Walking by dudes lying in the chairs poolside as I head to the gym...but mostly I feel the "wtf is that dude doing, he should be at the gym working!"

agrajag

Banned
Blackflag, your delts are insane. I assume genetics are a big part of it, but do you mind sharing what you do for shoulders?

edit: thanks sunflower, this is the best feel-good group on gaf!

SeanR1221

Black flag taking dat secret delt sauce.

I lifted in college 5 days a week but it was a serious case of fuckarounditis. I got pretty skinny though. 155 at my lowest.

ACE 1991

While cutting? Super important. When bulking? More leeway. But during cutting, you gotta be diligent and disciplined.

This.

*edit*

read numbers wrong. Carry on

IMO they are more important even than they are when bulking.

So is there some number I should be shooting for as far as carbs and fats go?

Right now my diet looks something like this:
Breakfast: 1 large egg, 3 servings of egg whites, 2 servings of lowfat cottage cheese and sometimes a glass of milk
Dinner: fage greek yogurt, broccoli, almonds
dinner: more broccoli 2 servings of chicken breast
snack: protein shake with milk throw in there somewhere.

This brings me to my caloric goal but I feel like I probably have too much dairy.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So how important really are macro goals when cutting? I've been using my fitness pal to track caloric intake, and have been staying at about 2050 calories a day with 1g/1lb of bodyweight for protein and keeping a close eye on the amount of carbs I take in. I also take a multivitamin each day with 2 capsules of fish oil.

Honestly, I haven't worried about carbs too much. I've lost almost ten pounds of body fat in only a month of cutting, and all I've focused on is to not pass my caloric intake, and to try to eat 1 or more grams of protein per bodyweight. I haven't really limited my carb intake; as for my fats, they're limited purely based off the food I generally eat now anyway. So it generally works out to like a 40/40/20 (p/c/f) ratio. You can check pics from a couple pages back to know I'm not bs'ing.

Perhaps if I want to lean out even more I'll have to limit my carbs, but I don't see the point right now. What's worked for me is basically eat well under maintenance and you'll shed unnecessary fat in no time.

But you must stay diligent. I've had zero alcohol, candy, bread, etc. in the month I've been cutting.

ACE 1991

Honestly, I haven't worried about carbs too much. I've lost almost ten pounds of body fat in only a month of cutting, and all I've focused on is to not pass my caloric intake, and to try to eat 1 or more grams of protein per bodyweight. I haven't really limited my carb intake; as for my fats, they're limited purely based off the food I generally eat now anyway. So it generally works out to like a 40/40/20 (p/c/f) ratio. You can check pics from a couple pages back to know I'm not bs'ing.

Perhaps if I want to lean out even more I'll have to limit my carbs, but I don't see the point right now. What's worked for me is basically eat well under maintenance and you'll shed unnecessary fat in no time.

But you must stay diligent. I've had zero alcohol, candy, bread, etc. in the month I've been cutting.

This is the big one for me...

MrOogieBoogie

So is there some number I should be shooting for as far as carbs and fats go?

Right now my diet looks something like this:
Breakfast: 1 large egg, 3 servings of egg whites, 2 servings of lowfat cottage cheese and sometimes a glass of milk
Dinner: fage greek yogurt, broccoli, almonds
dinner: more broccoli 2 servings of chicken breast
snack: protein shake with milk throw in there somewhere.

This brings me to my caloric goal but I feel like I probably have too much dairy.

Man, you're more hardcore than me. I need to constantly snack throughout the day to stay sane and energized. An example of an average day for me:

Breakfast: Cereal/oats with almond milk or yogurt (maybe a few berries)
Snack 1: Couple hardboiled eggs
Snack 2: Protein shake
Lunch: 5oz turkey breast w/ veggies
Snack 3: Cottage cheese + peanut butter, or maybe another protein shake, or another hardboiled egg or two (or perhaps just several almonds)
Dinner: 6oz grilled chicken breast w/ veggies
Snack 4: More veggies
Snack 5: Cottage cheese + peanut butter or hardboiled eggs

I basically eat nothing but cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, broccoli/carrots/cauliflower, turkey breast/grilled chicken, almonds, peanut butter, protein powder, and almond milk.

entremet

How do you guys handle muscle building with long distance cardio training? I know they're seemingly antagonistic goals, but does anyone here do both? It's summer now, so I'm loving being outside.

MrOogieBoogie

How do you guys handle muscle building with long distance cardio training? I know they're seemingly antagonistic goals, but does anyone here do both? It's summer now, so I'm loving being outside.

Make up the calories you burn off with more food throughout the day? (Not sure if that's how it works.)

Groof

I got this lightning pain that shot through my left wrist when I was doing deadlifts today. Should I lower the weights or might I be holding the bar wrong?

Mark1

How big would you be after 8 months of training? I've seen very little growth, partly, after some research, down to not eating enough.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How big would you be after 8 months of training? I've seen very little growth, partly, after some research, down to not eating enough.

Really depends on how hard you're training, how much you're eating, how your diet is composed, and minor genetics. Reason I say minor is that anyone should see some adjustment from eight months of strength training, provided they are following SS or something close to that and not wasting their time in the gym.

Mark1

Really depends on how hard you're training, how much you're eating, how your diet is composed, and minor genetics. Reason I say minor is that anyone should see some adjustment from eight months of strength training, provided they are following SS or something close to that and not wasting their time in the gym.
How good are the gains with SS? I'm currently in the stage of adding more protein to my diet through foods such as Greek yogurt and more chicken, fish, lean meat etc.

Edit: I had been using custom-made routines made by personal trainers before. Have never done something like SS. Might be a reason for the bad gains.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How good are the gains with SS? I'm currently in the stage of adding more protein to my diet through foods such as Greek yogurt and more chicken, fish, lean meat etc.

Edit: I had been using custom-made routines made by personal trainers before. Have never done something like SS. Might be a reason for the bad gains.

When you're new, they're very sweet. However look at it more on what numbers you put up since you will be tracking your progress. Numbers don't lie.

You guys know dat feel when you literally just manage to get out of the gym right before it closes?

in_before_the_lock_gif.gif

That was me today..

Also, in other news, my body is trashed.

That pain. THAT GOOD PAIN.

awww yeaah.

Feelin' it everywhere.

Can't wait till I have to sleep tonight.

Completed 85kg(187,3lbs)x5x3 squats today too. LEVEL UP!*pling*

I'll have to retry the bench on monday though, since I did 55kg(121,5lbs)x5x3 in bad form.

Matugi

I think I'm going to be done with my cut soon. I haven't lost a ton of fat, but have dropped from 17% to 14%ish, and there's still plenty of room for muscle to grow. I'm saying this because I think I'm at the point where I'm starting to lose muscle mass in addition to fat mass, so it's probably best I eat at maintenance for the next week or so then begin bulking again.

Detox

My deadlifts are doing terribly I know it is all supposed to come from the legs but mentally I just want to sit down when I go down. Such a weird feeling I've deloaded multiple times and as I get closer to 90kg I just can't tense my legs and lift. Any tips? Mental images, exercises etc will all be appreciated. Worth mentioning my squats are going decently on a linear path.

My deadlifts are doing terribly I know it is all supposed to come from the legs but mentally I just want to sit down when I go down. Such a weird feeling I've deloaded multiple times and as I get closer to 90kg I just can't tense my legs and lift. Any tips? Mental images, exercises etc will all be appreciated. Worth mentioning my squats are going decently on a linear path.

Have you tried the baseball grip?

I use very personal mental images. Really burns my head with fury, and unleash that same rage on the weights.

Noema

Post a form check and we'll fix you right up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Man, I wish mental images would do anything for me. I feel nothing when I lift. I space out. To a huge degree.

sphinx

the piano man
Great work! Although what you say is not true - there are a few of us who "care about stretching" - I personally feel that my rehabilitation and forward progress would be nonexistent without investing in a flexibility routine in parallel with strength training. I try to promote this idea with anyone I talk to who speaks of troubles with their physical health, let alone compound lifts.

I perform a Yoga routine each day for half an hour in the morning first thing. I go to a group Yoga session in an attempt to learn from different teachers and styles, once a week for an hour. So that's 4.5 hours of stretching for each 6 hours of lifting at the gym, and I still feel I should get that to parity.

Two years ago I was an overweight pack and a half a day smoker with two herniated discs in the lower lumbar spine at any given moment. In between checking on the Bad Company 2 community thread I would peek in here and be "reminded" of my glory days of high school football two-a-days + starting strength, and imagine I could never be in that kind of shape again.

Long story short, it's always important to have goals, if nothing else because it is entirely surreal when they are in your rear view mirror.

Sorry for generalizing like that, It's just that Szu is the only regular I remember who knows and cares about that stuff, but it's cool it has helped you in your life and congrats on your body! that's you right?? looking very athletic!

For me the best way to know I am getting progress is making sure I am putting up weight.

There's no rule as to how much weight you should be gaining per month but there has to be a difference,

I'd say, if you are a novice, skinny fat and you weight more or less the same after 2 months of working out, there's definitely something wrong, Most of the time is not eating enough, as you are realizing know

abuC

Hairline fracture in my left wrist, I was wondering why it was taking so long to heal. No cast needed, but I fucked it up doing heavy DB rows, I didn't drop the DB and held onto it and it slammed on the ground with my hand attached to it.

I've had more injuries in the last 6 months than I did in 2 years.

Mark1

There's no rule as to how much weight you should be gaining per month but there has to be a difference,

I'd say, if you are a novice, skinny fat and you weight more or less the same after 2 months of working out, there's definitely something wrong, Most of the time is not eating enough, as you are realizing know
Wait you can lose the skinny fat after a few months? I'm skinny now with a slight bit of fat. Can only see abs very vaguely when flexed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hairline fracture in my left wrist, I was wondering why it was taking so long to heal. No cast needed, but I fucked it up doing heavy DB rows, I didn't drop the DB and held onto it and it slammed on the ground with my hand attached to it.

I've had more injuries in the last 6 months than I did in 2 years.

Shit, maybe you should stick to moving cars. Fuck.

ZaCH3000

Getting into squats again for the first time in six years. Started last week and did some today. It feels good. My goals are probably unrealistic but I want to get back to my football strength days while maintaining low BF% with a lean build. I've always been leaner but its been only recently where my BF% has been below 10%.

Today I did 5x6 at 155lbs. My current weight is 148lbs but it fluctuates from 145-150lbs. The heaviest I was when I played football was 155lbs and my squat max was 365lbs. My dead lift max was 420lbs. My coach told me I was pound-for-pound the strongest football player on the team.

Fast-forward to today and I'm extremely weak in comparison. I don't think achieving that type of strength is possible for me anymore. Its been so long since I've done powerlifting that I can't remember how my body is supposed to respond to doing squats and dead lifts. For example, is my lower back supposed to get sore after back squats?

I might need to look into yoga/stretching classes to prevent injuries because that is my biggest concern. I'm already in good shape with an appealing aesthetic, but I want to reach my goal of 160lbs, lean with more shape by the end of the year. I also want to increase my strength and gain back the athleticism that I had but lost over the years without sustaining any injuries.

Its going to be tough so any input and advice is appreciated.

abuC

Shit, maybe you should stick to moving cars. Fuck.

LOL, good point, seems the weight gods may be trying to tell me something lately. The positive though is that it's stuff I can work through with some discomfort, thankfully no lower body injuries.

Noema

Getting into squats again for the first time in six years. Started last week and did some today. It feels good. My goals are probably unrealistic but I want to get back to my football strength days while maintaining low BF% with a lean build. I've always been leaner but its been only recently where my BF% has been below 10%.

Today I did 5x6 at 155lbs. My current weight is 148lbs but it fluctuates from 145-150lbs. The heaviest I was when I played football was 155lbs and my squat max was 365lbs. My dead lift max was 420lbs. My coach told me I was pound-for-pound the strongest football player on the team.

Fast-forward to today and I'm extremely weak in comparison. I don't think achieving that type of strength is possible for me anymore. Its been so long since I've done powerlifting that I can't remember how my body is supposed to respond to doing squats and dead lifts. For example, is my lower back supposed to get sore after back squats?

I might need to look into yoga/stretching classes to prevent injuries because that is my biggest concern. I'm already in good shape with an appealing aesthetic, but I want to reach my goal of 160lbs, lean with more shape by the end of the year. I also want to increase my strength and gain back the athleticism that I had but lost over the years without sustaining any injuries.

Its going to be tough so any input and advice is appreciated.

You can definitely get back to your previous strength levels and much more. Maybe not at that body weight, but you can be very strong if you train for it.

My suggestion would be do do SS for a few months to get back in the groove. You'll be amazed at how fast you'll regain your strength.

I'm no expert on the muscle building part, but I train with trail running most of the year, and especially heavy in the summer. What I've usually found is that I can afford to get pretty sloppy with my type of food intake. I don't eat junk, but I'm hungry all the time when I'm running heavy and I can eat pretty high fat and carbs and still have trouble putting on muscle weight. Over the last 9 months or so I've moved from 154 -> 168 with at least a fair bit of that muscle while not really compromising my distance running, it's really slow going at times.

It's always a bit of a trade off though, long runs will cut into your gains, and extra upper body mass does nothing but slow you down as a distance runner. You just have the find the right balance for the body / performance that you want. For me, running is the bigger thing as I love being outdoors and hitting the trails, I'm just trying not to look like Anton Krupicka while doing it (awesome runner that he is, not the body I'm trying for).

Anton_krupicka.jpg

balddemon

Banned
Figured out my bench 1rm should be 246ish based off 185x10. Higher than I expected, but I'll take it haha. Now I'm gonna rest another 2 days and do squat and ohp maxes on monday.

Also found out that the world record holder for squat and deadlift in his weight class works at the same gym as me haha. I think he pulled 716 at 163 pounds. He is now my go to powerlifting advisor haha.

Matugi

Sounds like I could be sidelined for a bit very soon. I had a pilonidal cyst excised 3.5 years ago and today discovered that one of the sinuses reopened. If so, I'm gonna be so pissed. It should be less than a week to get back to upper body if I need surgery but last time it was 3 weeks before I could run and almost 2 months before I could squat again :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom