• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Wow so I came home for 4th of July and decided to go to the gym with my parents (their gym). They had about 10 treadmills and 10 weight machines, all shitty iso machines. No squat rack. No area to deadlift. No bench press (though they did have some dumbbells and a bench at least). Pricey gym too...

oVerde

Banned
Lol 3 months is still starting.

Now if it was 3 years and you looked like that you'd have a problem.

Well if you're doing a "bulk" you shouldn't look like that. That's kinda the point.

You gotta get your mind right brah. You've begun to take a journey, not a day trip. It's going to take time, and it's going to last a long time, and you're going to be happier when it's all said and done. Think in years, not months!

I've got 2.5 years to go for my ideal body!

Yeah I know 3 months are far the beginning yet, and it's a journey of years to come, ain't letting me down.
Will be lifting and lurking FitGAF for years to come ;)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Had a definitive "I feel like a gigantic monster" moment at the store today. People all around me looked so small, so much smaller, and I towered over them taller and wider. Felt great. They scattered like bugs! I felt so good!

I bet tomorrow I feel like a fat shit. There's always a balance...

Mr.City

Getting into squats again for the first time in six years. Started last week and did some today. It feels good. My goals are probably unrealistic but I want to get back to my football strength days while maintaining low BF% with a lean build. I've always been leaner but its been only recently where my BF% has been below 10%.

Today I did 5x6 at 155lbs. My current weight is 148lbs but it fluctuates from 145-150lbs. The heaviest I was when I played football was 155lbs and my squat max was 365lbs. My dead lift max was 420lbs. My coach told me I was pound-for-pound the strongest football player on the team.

Fast-forward to today and I'm extremely weak in comparison. I don't think achieving that type of strength is possible for me anymore. Its been so long since I've done powerlifting that I can't remember how my body is supposed to respond to doing squats and dead lifts. For example, is my lower back supposed to get sore after back squats?

I might need to look into yoga/stretching classes to prevent injuries because that is my biggest concern. I'm already in good shape with an appealing aesthetic, but I want to reach my goal of 160lbs, lean with more shape by the end of the year. I also want to increase my strength and gain back the athleticism that I had but lost over the years without sustaining any injuries.

Its going to be tough so any input and advice is appreciated.

What is your structure for achieving such goals?

On a a side note: FUCKING GYM CLOSING EARLY ON THE JULY 4TH WEEKEND. I was psyched for a 240x5x3 bench today.

Pete Rock

Sorry for generalizing like that, It's just that Szu is the only regular I remember who knows and cares about that stuff
Fair enough, I suppose I do not qualify as a regular in any sense.
congrats on your body! that's you right?? looking very athletic!
Indeed, thank you kindly. Achieving various multiples of body weight on the compound lifts was a large goal, as was 10% BF. I suppose prior to the latter looking athletic was the least of my concerns.

Stay dedicated to those goals and I don't think it really matters who you are, you will come out looking and more importantly feeling substantially better than you did before. Endless recomp!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Funny 4th of July pic. Don't mess with a man's baby backs damnit!!

20130704_175722.jpg

Ello, fitness gaf. Came in here a long while back complaining about a torn wrist ligament sidelining me for 10 months.

Went back into my gym to take my membership off of medical hold and got offered a job. Now I work at two locations for the same fitness corporation. I'm glad to be back!

I still have to do primarily body weight exercises for the upper bod. :(

ILoveBish

How big would you be after 8 months of training? I've seen very little growth, partly, after some research, down to not eating enough.

My first 6 months of training was the iso style broscience routine, back day, shoulder day, etc. After 6 months, i could barely see any difference, plus i was eating badly. Diet + SS routine + 3 months later, it was somewhat obvious i work out. 15 months in now, and its very obvious. Takes time.

After getting lean enough I bought a tight wifebeater today. It made me realize I am nowhere near lean enough yet.

I absolutely refuse to shop for clothes still. I had clothes from size 48 to size 42 in the closet, once i hit size 40 i bought some pants and shorts, along with size 38 for when i hit that. Once i hit size 36, i will finally go get a new wardrobe, but shopping for clothes is one of my biggest things i do not like to do. A lot of times, i get the feelsbadman.jpg going.

20130704_175722.jpg

You look so awesome cooter. Definitely inspiring me to keep going.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Wait you can lose the skinny fat after a few months? I'm skinny now with a slight bit of fat. Can only see abs very vaguely when flexed.

Dude, it's totally possible. Just look at my before/after pics a few pages back (albeit I wasn't entirely "skinny-fat," but still). And that was only after a month. Just gotta stay really focused when dieting and the results will come.

blackflag

Blackflag, your delts are insane. I assume genetics are a big part of it, but do you mind sharing what you do for shoulders?

edit: thanks sunflower, this is the best feel-good group on gaf!

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier. Genetics are a big part. If you got called Frankenstein in elementary school because of your broad shoulders you might have them genetics

Othe than that I do either OHP or military press then seated db shoulder presses, side laterals, bent over reverse fly, face pulls.

Usually like 4 sets of each. Ohp is 5/3/1.

So I just did a body fat % check.

Ordered this..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VAPHXW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It recommended I just check my hip area skin flap.. Which produced 12.7% on their chart.

I then read online that I should check in 3 different areas (by my pecs between my under arm and nipple, a little to the right of my belly button, and top of my thigh between hip and knee).

I then plugged it in on the online calculator and got 12%.

So I'm like 12-13% body fat.

Yay?

Cooter

My wife told me to flex and then my daughter wanted in on the action. haha

Not sure what type of grill it is Sean. That was taken at my grandfather's house and I don't pay much attention to that type of stuff.

ILoveBish

Off to the gym, going to do a tricep day once per week for a while to work on those, while doing compounds the other 2 days. Reverse curls, here i come.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Here 's the current status of my spaghetti arms as per Heavy's proclamation a while back, as a regular ol' lanky dude who sacrifices his precious gains on the altar of evil combat sports conditioning, to offset Cooter and blackflag and the rest of the swole squad. ;b

Before the morbid obesity my arms were about the same circumference as my wrists, all the way up! :D Gogogo 3x5 135 OHP by the end of the year...

Imm0rt4l

Be excited to do some heavy deads

Come to realization that I forgot my chalk at home....

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Here 's the current status of my spaghetti arms as per Heavy's proclamation a while back, as a regular ol' lanky dude who sacrifices his precious gains on the altar of evil combat sports conditioning, to offset Cooter and blackflag and the rest of the swole squad. ;b

Before the morbid obesity my arms were about the same circumference as my wrists, all the way up! :D Gogogo 3x5 135 OHP by the end of the year...

Holy fuck.

Those are some good looking arms.

I think I'll add reaching 135 lbs on my OHP by the end of the year as one of my goals..

hey ace1991, what's your caloric intake? Doesn't look like you're eating much!

You guys know dat feel when you literally just manage to get out of the gym right before it closes?

in_before_the_lock_gif.gif

Nope, 24hourgymlyf. Don't think I could handle trying to do my programme near closing time. I like to take my time, don't rush me.

After getting lean enough I bought a tight wifebeater today. It made me realize I am nowhere near lean enough yet.

haha soon chitta. Your progress is impressive brah

Any of you use the Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro? Thinking of getting it because I almost never do ab stuff, and the added bonus of it helping with arms is kinda nice. Plus, it seems like fun/silly, so that'll motivate me a bit more.

Looks like an expensive branded ab wheel. Haven't got one myself but I hear ab wheels are no joke. Hard work.

Be excited to do some heavy deads

Come to realization that I forgot my chalk at home....

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

aww no

If I was a table I would not mess with you Imm0rt4l.

I think I really need to pick up some chalk soon. Starting to get heavy enough that my grip is limiting me. Usually I can pump out 2-3 reps of my work set double overhand before switching to mixed grip but today I went to do my first rep and didn't even get the bar to my knees. was 132.5kg/292lbs. stoopid grip

Nope, 24hourgymlyf. Don't think I could handle trying to do my programme near closing time. I like to take my time, don't rush me.

I don't like rushing either, but had it badly planned this time. I enjoy having a relaxing workout and taking a good lengthy shower right afterwards. had no time for it this round.

Just sucks that my gym always closes at 8 pm on fridays instead of 10 pm.

i'm jelly at you 24hourgym bastards :-(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

lol Heavy said that? Consider the source then ahahaha oh man...Heavy.

Looks strong though. I smashed my OHP last night. For how frustrating OHP is in how slowly it ramps up and how weak I feel while doing it, nothing beats how you feel post-OHP. I can't wait for my next OHP day. My favorite and most challenging movement.

rofl Heavy.

I eventually want to get into Muai Thai or BJJ. I think it would be fun just to roll or spar.

20130704_175722.jpg

Too busy looking at your vein. Vascularity OP.

Noema

lol Heavy said that? Consider the source then ahahaha oh man...Heavy.

Looks strong though. I smashed my OHP last night. For how frustrating OHP is in how slowly it ramps up and how weak I feel while doing it, nothing beats how you feel post-OHP. I can't wait for my next OHP day. My favorite and most challenging movement.

If you think OHP is fun, try doing it with just 1 shoulder. Double the challenge, double the fun.

Having two shoulders is overrated.

Satch

Banned
i can finally legitimately 100% start doing Starting Strength completely now that ive tried the barbell

ive been doing most of the exercises in SS with dumbbells because ive been scared of potentially dropping the bar and killing myself but i tried the bar today and it wasnt that bad!

except for the power cleans...
ibcAGilOUd8zrz.gif

also i struggled like hell doing the overhead press, but it was just the bar and its not like i can take more weight off of it. i did two sets of six tho, so im clearly capable of doing it. i cant wait to go back to the gym on monday and really start digging in.

ineXynzPIjk9v.gif
i am officially over all of my gym-related fears
ineXynzPIjk9v.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If you think OHP is fun, try doing it with just 1 shoulder. Double the challenge, double the fun.

Having two shoulders is overrated.

I've done a lot of dumbbell OHPs. Same thing there yes? Man, it's a WOBBLY trip up to the top of the extension lemme tell ya...heh

#TeamOHP babay

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What things should I know before doing Starting Strength next week? I'm a bit confused by how it works.

If you haven't read the book, you absolutely SHOULD read it. You won't be confused if you read it and comprehend it fine. I can't stress this enough - read Starting Strength.

Kyaw

Finally got back from a week long holiday. Feels weak as fuck after not eating like a tank.

What did I miss from this thread?

SeanR1221

So, my friends are telling me to take l-carnitine, anybody tried it here or is it bad ?

Carnitine has been proposed as a supplement to treat a variety of health conditions including heart attack[10][11], heart failure, angina[12], and diabetic neuropathy[13], but not fatigue, improving exercise performance,[12] nor wasting syndrome (weight loss)[13], though in all of these cases the results are preliminary, proposed, and not part of routine treatment[13].

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnitine

SeanR1221

Damn, good thing i asked here and never listened to HGH freaks.

Yeah there's a lot of hogwash out there. Take glutamine for example. In the whey I use each serving has 4g of glutamine. If I take 2 scoops of that, why would I ever add glutamine by itself?

Stick with creatine and some guys like beta and citrulline (but honestly, all three are definitely optional)

For me, I felt like recovery improved once I started the beta and citrulline. I don't care if its a placebo, I like it :)

Oh! Fish oil is definitely a good one to take.

Petrie

Banned
5/3/1 question:

I've had good luck hitting all my minimum reps on my cut, but last week during 3s week on bench, I felt off and ended up only hitting 1 rep @ 240 on my final set, however yesterday I was able to hit all my reps including my single @ 250. Should I continue on @ 255 next cycle and chalk it up to an off day last week, or drop weight and reset?

Cooter

While my wife squatted I did....various bicep exercises :/. Feels badman.

You should feel great your wife is squatting! She's already got 99% of wives beat! Sucks about the injury but you'll get better quickly.

EDIT:

Almost forgot! I hit another PR on weighted pull ups today, Finished up at 115x3.5.

SeanR1221

You should feel great your wife is squatting! She's already got 99% of wives beat! Sucks about the injury but you'll get better quickly.

EDIT:

Almost forgot! I hit another PR on weighted pull ups today, Finished up at 115x3.5.

Oh yeah I'm definitely proud of her. She was all bummed she only hit 7 reps on her 5s week lol.

Yeah I'm hoping for a quick recovery. Very anxious for my doctors apointment Tuesday. It's annoying how long all this stuff takes to schedule :/

My wife and her nursing friends last night all were saying they think its a pinched sciatic nerve. We shall see

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Howdy, I didn't even know this thread was a thing. I work out consistently with a high variance routine. WODs mixed with heavy lifting and long distance runs. I'm not a fitness buff or anything, so I'm learning a lot of shit the hard way. I've been hitting it hard for about 2.5 years and I've plateau'd hard. So, I need some advice from people more into this than I.

Height: 72"
Weight: 185
Goal: 20 pullups, 22 minute 3 mile, sexy muscles
Current Training Schedule: 3 WODs, 1 day of 3 mile run, 1 day stretches/warm-ups
Current Training Equipment Available: Everything
Comments: The 3 mile run part is really not a changeable goal. It's part of my job, sadly.

Questions:
1) How can I break out of plateau when my routinue is already variable?
2) I need some help with the after effects of a workout. The pain is fine, but often I'm too stiff to be able to move in the morning. It takes me some time to be able to bend over to tie my shoes. I'm quite sure diet is a main cause for that, because I suck at eating right. But any advice on this would be appreciated.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
rofl Heavy.

I eventually want to get into Muai Thai or BJJ. I think it would be fun just to roll or spar

Hell yeah it is. Sparring is better in BJJ though because there's no head trauma but you fight at 100% until tap or snap every time. ;b Muay Thai is awesome for the brutality and the physical conditioning; turning your shins into steel baseball bats, huahua.

5/3/1 question:

I've had good luck hitting all my minimum reps on my cut, but last week during 3s week on bench, I felt off and ended up only hitting 1 rep @ 240 on my final set, however yesterday I was able to hit all my reps including my single @ 250. Should I continue on @ 255 next cycle and chalk it up to an off day last week, or drop weight and reset?

For me, if feel it's just an off day and my other weeks aren't an issue I'd probably increase. If I feel like I might be hitting my limit, I'll run the same cycle again then decide. I try to avoid resetting as long as possible on a cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom