• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptic

Do you have long arms?

I can pull 450lb+ but can barely bench 200lb. I do have a shoulder injury but my anthropometry is very favorable towards deadlifting (long arms so my back is almost vertical as I pull).

At any rate, if you are not happy with one of your lifts it means you just have to work harder at it.

I bench with the same width as my friend whose 5'11 despite being 5'7'' myself so that could be something.
Definitely have to work harder, but will check my technique first.
Thanks Sean, I'll look into those areas, see if I have any issues there.

Also I lost my glasses and the gym has sucked the last few weeks walking a few miles in blind.

kylej

Banned
I will ALWAYS have m00bs in my mind...always.

yeah that's a weird thing, isn't it? Spend all that time building your chest with flat bb, db, incline, etc, etc, then when I'm out in public away from the gym I'm tugging on my shirt to try to keep it loose. Old habits do indeed die hard.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!! I still felt like shit in the gym today after my drinking session Saturday night. I barely hit my 5/3/1 goals today. I lost 2 reps on dips too. After some googling I find that apparently a heavy drinking session can fuck up your hormones and body processes for up to a week. Well spank me hard :( I hope my lifts full recover for week 2 of 5/3/1 next week.

yo man fuk u I got a broken leg and it's snowing the day after it was 50 degrees

<3

sounds like Colorado weather.

Also was feeling lazy and tired and was going to head to the gym tomorrow but after visiting the yoga thread and seeing the pic of Arnold and Stallone, I am motivated now.

ezrarh

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!! I still felt like shit in the gym today after my drinking session Saturday night. I barely hit my 5/3/1 goals today. I lost 2 reps on dips too. After some googling I find that apparently a heavy drinking session can fuck up your hormones and body processes for up to a week. Well spank me hard :( I hope my lifts full recover for week 2 of 5/3/1 next week.

I've been there man. I stupidly decided to do a heavy squat day several weeks back - only two days after heavy drinking, which I don't usually do anymore, and failed badly. Everything felt heavier than normal but I decided to go for it anyway since I'm stupid and had to drop the bar on my heavy rep.

Felt alright at the gym.
Close-grip bench, decline DB press, row, cable scare crows, and a nice ab work-out.

Should I do incline close-grip bench if I want my pecs to be activated more?

My flu was much worse than what I had anticipated, I'm in the second week now and still can't smell or taste food :(

Lost 8 pounds even though I tried maintaining the same diet and stuffed myself with candy bars for the easy calories, and I usually gain weight easy (former fatty).

Oh well...

Imm0rt4l

Man, taking pictures of yourself for progress really puts stuff into perspective. I've been lamenting that my weight loss has slowed to a crawl. I just looked at a picture of myself at the end of my bulk at around 215 lbs, down to 198.6 today. I didn't have these striations in my obliques/intercostals at 215 that's for sure. Should be interesting to see what the next 15ish lbs has in store.

Cudder

Felt alright at the gym.
Close-grip bench, decline DB press, row, cable scare crows, and a nice ab work-out.

Should I do incline close-grip bench if I want my pecs to be activated more?

Why would you want your pecs to be activated more during a tricep exercise? Do regular incline benches to get some pec action.

Cagey

Banned
Man, taking pictures of yourself for progress really puts stuff into perspective. I've been lamenting that my weight loss has slowed to a crawl. I just looked at a picture of myself at the end of my bulk at around 215 lbs, down to 198.6 today. I didn't have these striations in my obliques/intercostals at 215 that's for sure. Should be interesting to see what the next 15ish lbs has in store.

I'm hoping for the same sort of visual reassurance when I take my one month progress shots. It sure feels like a lot of torture for nothing.

Also, the peeing on a low-carb diet. My god. I'm in a constant state of walking to the bathroom.

despire

I just finished the 2nd week of the first month of 5/3/1. Program is pretty awesome and so is the BB template. I'm just wondering if it would be wise to do the BBB 3 month challenge now that I'm on the 5/3/1 program? So basically starting the challenge next cycle and then going back to the BB template when I'm finished with it?

Petrie

Banned
I just finished the 2nd week of the first month of 5/3/1. Program is pretty awesome and so is the BB template. I'm just wondering if it would be wise to do the BBB 3 month challenge now that I'm on the 5/3/1 program? So basically starting the challenge next cycle and then going back to the BB template when I'm finished with it?

So long as you aren't afraid to eat, eat, eat, it's a pretty solid template. You can't be afraid to put on some bodyfat while on the challenge though.

despire

So long as you aren't afraid to eat, eat, eat, it's a pretty solid template. You can't be afraid to put on some bodyfat while on the challenge though.

Yea thats why I'm wondering if I should try it only when I start a proper bulk again some day.

Still trying to recomp at the moment. I'm eating 2500-3500kcal a day and losing weight slowly (paleo).

SeanR1221

Booked my honeymoon in Jamaica.

Good news: the fitness center has a barbell and plates.

Bad news: no squat rack just a smith.

Odd news: the barbell is from an incline bench. No flat bench (or at least it looks like that in the pictures.

I'm definitely doing deadlifts in that fitness center. Gotta leave room in my suitcase for my belt and chalk ;)

Davidion

Odd news: the barbell is from an incline bench. No flat bench (or at least it looks like that in the pictures.

Might be time to take that off week. I'm just sayin'

Petrie

Banned
Well no gym today, possibly for a few days. Car broke down on the way there. Won't start. Waiting for AAA. Sucks, no leg day. :(

After hitting PRs last week on my Upper lift was looking forward to it.

Yea thats why I'm wondering if I should try it only when I start a proper bulk again some day.

Still trying to recomp at the moment. I'm eating 2500-3500kcal a day and losing weight slowly (paleo).

Wendler is very clear to not try the 3 month challenge if you're going to worry about how much you eat. It is intended for someone eating a shit ton.

Yeah and sit in the room while my fiancé powerlifts? No thank you.

boooooooooooooooooooring. In all seriousness, when was the last time you took a week off?

Well no gym today, possibly for a few days. Car broke down on the way there. Won't start. Waiting for AAA. Sucks, no leg day. :(

After hitting PRs last week on my Upper lift was looking forward to it.

Wendler is very clear to not try the 3 month challenge if you're going to worry about how much you eat. It is intended for someone eating a shit ton.

yup.

gotta eat big to get big.

Cagey

Banned

I'm definitely doing deadlifts in that fitness center. Gotta leave room in my suitcase for my belt and chalk ;)

No choice but to use a smith machine? WELCOME To #teamsmithmachine BROTHER!

Our weekly crying sessions for having no free weights available are scheduled for Saturday.

Mully

I'm thinking about changing my 5/3/1 routine to 3 days a week instead of the 4 I'm doing right now. I'd like to have a few more days for conditioning since my role has changed in the volunteer fire department from EMT to solely Rescue and Ladder. For me to become a better firefighter, I have to be in better cardio shape. I've fallen off with my cardio since starting 5/3/1 late last year and its shown in recent weeks when I was huffing and puffing while working with the hoses at fire practice.

Szu

During my honeymoon, I tried to use whatever was available in the hotels. I didn't have any set plans for working out. With the schedule I had, I'm surprised that i did any training.

Also, my diet plan went out the window.

However, I did have a blast.

PBY

Banned
During my honeymoon, I tried to use whatever was available in the hotels. I didn't have any set plans for working out. With the schedule I had, I'm surprised that i did any training.

I think this is important- in the end, we do what we do to be fit/happy- one week isn't going to kill you, but you will def get more out of your trip if you sample the food/drink of the place to the max. Enjoy it man, and then hit the gym 2x harder when you come back.

SeanR1221

Yeah unlimited food. Smoothie bar. Alcohol.

Perfect time to start a bulk.

I've been there man. I stupidly decided to do a heavy squat day several weeks back - only two days after heavy drinking, which I don't usually do anymore, and failed badly. Everything felt heavier than normal but I decided to go for it anyway since I'm stupid and had to drop the bar on my heavy rep.
Man I'm lucky that didn't happen yesterday. But my squats were definitely way heavier than they should have been. I failed on rep 6 today of my bench press though. Luckily I always bench with safety bars now.

SeanR1221

I think this is important- in the end, we do what we do to be fit/happy- one week isn't going to kill you, but you will def get more out of your trip if you sample the food/drink of the place to the max. Enjoy it man, and then hit the gym 2x harder when you come back.

But that's the thing. I wouldn't be going because I'm worried about getting out of shape after a week. I'd be going because I enjoy going. It's like sneaking an Xbox into the hotel.

grumble

I'm overweight by 100 pounds.

And today I had my first crossfit lesson.

My warm ups were:

Joint mobility
2 rounds of 10 lunges, 10 squats, and 10 push ups.

My workout was:

Consisted of 10 minutes of 5 squats, 10 pushups, and 5 sit ups.

I managed to put in 4 rounds before the ten minutes were over. I'm really out of shape.

But in that number, in total, today I did 20 lunges, 40 squats, 50 push ups, and 20 sit ups.

I was at the bottom of the class in terms of rank and fitness and yet I feel like I accomplished something. Something I never feel when I go to standard gyms. The camaraderie makes me feel competitive and give me a thought that I can do better than what I'm doing. I love having my own coach. I love the back to basics atmosphere. I love to see older people giving their all.

After my workout I could barely walk, much less stand.

I ended up puking my two bottles of water and apple for breakfast while driving home, but it helped me feel better.

I'm going back. :)

Congratulations! I'm glad that you've decided to make a positive change. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Remember with crossfit to avoid doing a couple of things:

1. No kipping pullups (shoulders)
2. No Sumo Deadlift High Pulls (shoulders)
3. No doing technical lifts for time (everything)
4. No doing box jumps and deadlifts on the same day (achilles)

Have fun!

PBY

Banned
But that's the thing. I wouldn't be going because I'm worried about getting out of shape after a week. I'd be going because I enjoy going. It's like sneaking an Xbox into the hotel.

Totally agree with you, I get restless if I dont lift- was only talking about the diet.

grumble

I know what you mean, I'd go too. Going to the gym is fun! Sometimes taking some time off can actually give your body a chance to recover though, which can improve your progress significantly.

What I'd do if I were you is to skip the weights and do some bodyweight stuff. This will

1. Stress you less than a heavy lifting session, which is good when you're drinking, eating poorly and trying to use the week to recover.

2. Allow you to work on an aspect of fitness a lot of guys don't do, which is anaerobic endurance.

SeanR1221

Changing gears, past couple days of my cut haven't been horrible. Low on food (have to grocery shop this weekend) so it was a chicken and eggs day. Chicken and eggs for breakfast. Chicken and whey for lunch. Eggs for a snack. Chicken and sweet potatoes for dinner.

I literally have no vegetables left :/. Feels badman

I'd marry deadlifts if it were possible, I love them so.

So true. Although I could say that about any of the compound lifts. That feeling finally into that PR that's been just out of your reach.

Looking to finally get back to the gym tomorrow after being on vacation for a week and being sick for a couple of days afterwards. Haven't weighed myself in a while so I fear I've lost a bit of weight.

CrankyJay

Banned
Changing gears, past couple days of my cut haven't been horrible. Low on food (have to grocery shop this weekend) so it was a chicken and eggs day. Chicken and eggs for breakfast. Chicken and whey for lunch. Eggs for a snack. Chicken and sweet potatoes for dinner.

I literally have no vegetables left :/. Feels badman

Enjoy the constipation! =)

Imm0rt4l

I'd marry deadlifts if it were possible, I love them so.

images

I love deadlifts

Noema

Week 1 of my 4th 5/3/1 Cycle. Squats and I was barely able to make the prescribed reps. Had to grind the shit out of that 5th rep; I thought it wasn't gonna go up. I was shooting for 8 but after the second rep I realized that "Nope, not today." It's disappointing to say the least, considering last cycle I did 290lb*5 in my second week, no problem and today 285lb felt like a ton of bricks.

I have to do 300lb next week. If anyone needs me I'll be lying under my bed in fetal position sucking my thumb.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm wondering if I can get into ketosis quicker by just eating pure fat for a couple days to speed up the transition. No protein = way less gluconeogenesis?

Then after I'm in ketosis (feel better, plus ketones in urine tested via urinalysis), I can up carbos a bit, and up protein a lot.

Does this make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom