• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
I did the assessment yesterday I have 10% bodyfat and weigh 64 kg, what else do I need to add to my packed lunches

edit I ve also got access to all kinds of milk at the office from full, skim, 2% you name it

You need meet. Tuna, chicken, pork, beef, fish, whatever, it seems like all you're eating now is fat and carbs.

burnfout

dsc_0124ousyh.jpg

Let's do this.

Detox

How do you guys prefer to do the overhead press? I'm watching one of the starting strength videos (this one) and the guy coaches him to arch his back a lot. Is this the correct form or should I try and stay as upright as possible with little lift/momentum from the arched back? I'm doing the press mentioned in the OP routine.

despire

Ugh my right shoulder is toast after grinding 180 plant samples at the uni yesterday and today. The problem is I have to press in an hour or so. Let's see how it goes..

Szu

You guys are the best! Thank you for all the kind words!

I want to post some pictures to illustrate how one day of cheating won't hurt you much. I'm talking big time cheating of over 10,000 calories! Sunday I went crazy and after two days of fasting and getting back on track I'm back to where I was. Basically, I don't want people here stressing over one day. One day won't really do much to you in the long run. It's the back to back days or more that really takes a toll on your progress!

4c7f07a2-4e22-4732-9b2f-a0f59cb99544.jpg

5b353b3c-b8e6-484f-b7e1-d88261024970.jpg

Awesome as always, Cooter!!! Them veins!!!

Damn you Cooter, stop showing off!

I read through the OP, and I am following the beginner full-body routine. Could anyone give me some details on what exact workouts I should do for "Abdominal work" and "arm work?"

Also, should I do my stretches before or after a workout (or do them before and after)?

I'm aiming to become an army officer, and I meet every criteria besides the physical fitness. I am working on my cardio by running bidaily, and I am aiming to follow a good routine at the gym (i.e. the full body routine).

Abdominal work: Crunches, oblique crunches, hanging leg raises, etc
Arm work: Bicep and tricep movements (so your curls for your biceps, and head crushers for your triceps - or cable push down).

ILoveBish

Well guys, I had a major setback to my training plans. Woke up yesterday to a severe pain in my lower right abdomen. Ended up with appendicitis. Had surgery this morning and the doc said no heavy lifting for 3-4 weeks. FML.

Damn! Glad you caught it early man. 3-4 weeks is a bit rough, but just chill out, deload when you get back to the gym, and start back up. Its a marathon, not a sprint.

I'm about 15 over my prime. I know beer will drastically slow down the fat reduction, but man. I've done research and most of what I've found has been it's just extra carbs/calories, so it seems to make sense that if you fit in an extra calorie burn routine on the days you want to drink a couple of brews. But that doesn't seem right either.

Alcohol is the preferred fuel for the body. When you drink alky, it takes every single thing in your body (protein, carbs, fat) and stores it all as fat cells, just to consume the alky quicker. Doesn't matter if its low carbs or not. Best advice, dont drink it. Luckily i quit drinking years ago, but i know it is not easy.

Shitty gym night. Put up shit numbers, hurt my wrist mildly, just a shit night all round.

Oh well. Thursday's when I make it all good again and feel too swole to control. Bad days happen. No big. Right?

I only got 5.5-6 hours of sleep today, so i was really out of for the gym as well. Couldn't even finish my 2 sets of 5 for pull ups or chin ups during warm up. Still pushed through and set new PRs at the gym, just took a lot longer due to lots of rest inbetween sets. Hype music is essential for these situations. Crappy days will always happen at the gym.

You guys are the best! Thank you for all the kind words!

Damn you Cooter. When i look in the mirror at the gym, finally seeing some great results, i think about how far you've come, and know its worth it to keep going since its just going to get better and better from here. Never stop!

balddemon

Banned
holy shit legs wobbly as fuck I was about to cry when I left, then I remembered I drive an automatic :D

squats: 30 kg
bench: 24
deadlift: 30

I wish I got that feeling from lifting heavy still....maybe now I'm starting 5/3/1 it will come back

however I did feel that way today after my physical therapy session haha. so much crap for my right leg, it was like jelly when I tried to walk out lmao

Damn Cooter, what the hell? You training for American Ninja Warrior or something?

...Showoff. ^_^

Edit: Also wanted to know if other GAFfers besides SeanR and Alienshogun are on Fitocracy, want to follow others!

bumpkin

Hmm, so here's a random question for the fitness mindshare... When I'm doing a workout routine that is focused on two different muscle groups, is it beneficial or detrimental to either group if I alternate between exercises? For example, I do a back exercise (all 3 sets), then do a bicep exercise (all sets), then do a different back exercise, followed by another bicep exercises, etc. etc.

I've been debating switching to a routine where I do all of one group's exercises before moving onto the other, I'm just looking for some candid advice from real people. Google'ing for these kinds of answers just pisses me off; so many sponsored sites, people with agendas, shit to sell, etc.

balddemon

Banned
Damn Cooter, what the hell? You training for American Ninja Warrior or something?

...Showoff. ^_^

Edit: Also wanted to know if other GAFfers besides SeanR and Alienshogun are on Fitocracy, want to follow others!
I am, I might be more inclined to post stuff if I had more followers lmao. https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/dhaight2/
Hmm, so here's a random question for the fitness mindshare... When I'm doing a workout routine that is focused on two different muscle groups, is it beneficial or detrimental to either group if I alternate between exercises? For example, I do a back exercise (all 3 sets), then do a bicep exercise (all sets), then do a different back exercise, followed by another bicep exercises, etc. etc.

I've been debating switching to a routine where I do all of one group's exercises before moving onto the other, I'm just looking for some candid advice from real people. Google'ing for these kinds of answers just pisses me off; so many sponsored sites, people with agendas, shit to sell, etc.

the only time I alternate muscle groups is if I'm doing arms- I'll superset a biceps and triceps exercise. if I'm doing a major muscle group ie back/bi, I'll get all my back work in before doing any iso exercises.

MjFrancis

Argh I had tuna from a can this weekend. I think I'd rather lose ALL my gains then go through that again.
Have you tried the Chicken of the Sea canned tuna from Costco? It's chunky and comes in big 7oz cans. It's also the only canned tuna I'm willing to eat, it's head and shoulders above any other I've tried.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Getting ready for them 37,5 kg OHP and 90 kg squats today. It's gonna get hot and heavy!

Yessss, OHP OHP OHP

Y'all ever eaten canned chicken? Didn't even know it was a thing till a few months ago. Actually is not bad.

Ugh, no

On a related note, I bought a whole rotisserie chicken like, 2 months ago or so to eat. Took it home, realized I can't eat chicken when it looks like an actual chicken. Got sick. Threw it out. Couldn't do it.

I need my animals eaten to not look like animals or it taps the soft spot inside of me.

andycapps

I was actually going to ask what ya'll thought about drinking beer. 1 at a time every 2-3 days a bad thing? Is liquor any better? Obviously it's not going to help lose weight, but is it much different than eating a sandwich?

bumpkin

the only time I alternate muscle groups is if I'm doing arms- I'll superset a biceps and triceps exercise. if I'm doing a major muscle group ie back/bi, I'll get all my back work in before doing any iso exercises.
Hmm... I just wonder which pays bigger dividends. In my mind, I'd think that resting a muscle group before hammering on it again would let me complete more reps on each subsequent exercise and do more damage. I could be wrong though.

Right now I'm doing the muscle group alternating with all three of my routines; back & biceps day, legs & shoulders day, and a chest & triceps day.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Ugh, no

On a related note, I bought a whole rotisserie chicken like, 2 months ago or so to eat. Took it home, realized I can't eat chicken when it looks like an actual chicken. Got sick. Threw it out. Couldn't do it.

I need my animals eaten to not look like animals or it taps the soft spot inside of me.
I've eaten a whole chicken in one sitting with my bare hands! I rip that that thing apart and reminisce about my caveman days in a prior life. There's nothing but bones and skin when I get done!

Cooter

Hmm... I just wonder which pays bigger dividends. In my mind, I'd think that resting a muscle group before hammering on it again would let me complete more reps on each subsequent exercise and do more damage. I could be wrong though.

Right now I'm doing the muscle group alternating with all three of my routines; back & biceps day, legs & shoulders day, and a chest & triceps day.

I did the back/bi and chest/tri routine for years because that's what everyone told me is best. I realized that by doing them together I always felt too fatigued to get the most out of each muscle. Felt like I wasn't getting the most out of my back and chest because my bis and tris were exhausted the way I superset my groups. So I switched to chest/bis, delts/tris, and back/traps and I will never go back. Food for thought..

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can't relate to struggle gainers

you're dead to me while I'm cutting

;_;

I feel you 100%

all I see inside is hate. It's irrational.

"you fucker. you are BLESSED with this. I love to eat. You fucker!" basically.

I don't mean it but there's a little butthurt from me out there when I see it.

MjFrancis

I was actually going to ask what ya'll thought about drinking beer. 1 at a time every 2-3 days a bad thing? Is liquor any better? Obviously it's not going to help lose weight, but is it much different than eating a sandwich?
If you're attempting to lose weight and still want to drink on occasion, Martin Berkhan has just the solution:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

It's also one of the better articulations on alcohol and body composition.

Unfortunately beer doesn't play nicely with fat loss or protein synthesis. Martin's once-a-week drinking solution is limiting dietary fat for the day, eating carbs from vegetables and incidental traces from protein sources, consuming LOTS of protein in general, and drinking hard liquor straight or mixed with diet soda. The short of it is this method limits the synthesis of fat in the body. He goes into so much greater detail that it's worth reading the entire article to understand why this works.

bumpkin

I did the back/bi and chest/tri routine for years because that's what everyone told me is best. I realized that by doing them together I always felt too fatigued to get the most out of each muscle. Felt like I wasn't getting the most out of my back and chest because my bis and tris were exhausted the way I superset my groups. So I switched to chest/bis, delts/tris, and back/traps and I will never go back. Food for thought..
Hmm... Yeah, I have kind of made the same observation. I suppose I've experienced the fatigue to a lesser extent because of the alternating I'm doing, but it's still there. I've got two more weeks to the routine I'm on -- plan to change exercises every six weeks -- so maybe I'll switch the groups to what you suggested for my next round.

Thanks for the advice, kind sir. Nice work too (saw your pics farther up)!

Cooter

Hmm... Yeah, I have kind of made the same observation. I suppose I've experienced the fatigue to a lesser extent because of the alternating I'm doing, but it's still there. I've got two more weeks to the routine I'm on -- plan to change exercises every six weeks -- so maybe I'll switch the groups to what you suggested for my next round.

Thanks for the advice, kind sir. Nice work too (saw your pics farther up)!

Cool. Give it a shot and let me know how it treats you.

And thanks. :)

andycapps

If you're attempting to lose weight and still want to drink on occasion, Martin Berkhan has just the solution:

Unfortunately beer doesn't play nicely with fat loss or protein synthesis. Martin's once-a-week drinking solution is limiting dietary fat for the day, eating carbs from vegetables and incidental traces from protein sources, consuming LOTS of protein in general, and drinking hard liquor straight or mixed with diet soda. The short of it is this method limits the synthesis of fat in the body. He goes into so much greater detail that it's worth reading the entire article to understand why this works.

Yup, sounds like drinking hard liquor straight or with diet soda is the way to go. I only drink 1, maybe 2 drinks a night and only 2-3 times a week. Sounds like it won't impact me too much, but gives me some things to keep in mind. Thanks.

Cooter, looking great as always.

Cooter

Cooter you fast on cuts?
Yes, and during maintenance and I think I will if I ever decide to bulk again. My body seems to be designed to fast. I tell people I must be a descendent from a tribe of hunters that went long stretches without food because my body does very well with fasting and short feeding windows.

Yes, and during maintenance and I think I will if I ever decide to bulk again. My body seems to be designed to fast. I tell people I must be a descendent from a tribe of hunters that went long stretches without food because my body does very well with fasting and short feeding windows.

Is your diet pretty drastic in terms of caloric deficiency during your cuts or do you fast a day or two, eat big a day or two, etc?

And I'm guessing you've had minimal strength/muscle loss using your method

Detox

I'm slightly confused by the power clean do you deadlift to the jumping position or deadlift to the hang position and then lower it to the jumping position?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Asking again about that gnc coupon that was posted.

Are these coupons single use? Member only?

What is the advantage of becoming a gnc member? I see they have member prices and im sure its probably more than worth it if I plan on picking up quest bars every now and then.

Iv'e read this article months ago and its amazing. I go by this on days that I plan on getting hammered

Cudder

Popeyes Canada got a pretty good deal going on right now for a few things like Quest bars and Whey. Got an email, you need to show the coupon to get the deals. Haven't checked but it's probably up on RFD or something.

blackflag

Have you tried the Chicken of the Sea canned tuna from Costco? It's chunky and comes in big 7oz cans. It's also the only canned tuna I'm willing to eat, it's head and shoulders above any other I've tried.

I go to Costco on the regular so I'll check it out. I'm tired of eating Chicken 3-4 times a day with only red meat for dinner and eggs/egg white/whey for breakfast.

It's getting old.

Well more accurately, I'm getting tired of cooking it not eating it.

Cooter

Is your diet pretty drastic in terms of caloric deficiency during your cuts or do you fast a day or two, eat big a day or two, etc?

And I'm guessing you've had minimal strength/muscle loss using your method
No loss of muscle and strength stayed. Not too drastic during my cuts. Anywhere between 1700-2500 a day. I will usually bump it up over 3500 for a day if I feel weak or I think I'm losing size. It's a delicate balance and there is no right answer. I'd suggest being patient and not trying to cut up too quickly because you risk losing that hard earned muscle. Monitor your lifts closely. You can expect your bench and OHP do decrease a bit if you are dropping weight at a good pace so don't be alarmed by that. About 150-200gs of protein is enough for me during a cut. You may be different so pay attention closely to that also.

Oh, and quest bars make cutting a piece of cake! They are a must have.

Cooter

Asking again about that gnc coupon that was posted.

Are these coupons single use? Member only?

What is the advantage of becoming a gnc member? I see they have member prices and im sure its probably more than worth it if I plan on picking up quest bars every now and then.
They are supposed to be single use only but many stores let people use it every day. Mine do not. :( No, you don't have to be a member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom