• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

Damn you Cooter, stop showing off!

Abdominal work: Crunches, oblique crunches, hanging leg raises, etc
Arm work: Bicep and tricep movements (so your curls for your biceps, and head crushers for your triceps - or cable push down).

Thanks for the explanation! I'll include those in my workouts.

And slightly sore muscle and working in a warehouse are not the best combinations in the world.

Mr.City

damn OHP, why you gotta be so hard? :(

It's a hard lift, but you got to be even harder.

The should I join a gym thread has hit new levels of stupidity.

Most general fitness threads often do. They expect health-related answers to be a simple fix, like putting up a new porch over the weekend. Couple that with the "that's just opinion" attitude and the massive amount of misinformation that pollutes the media, and you get complete bedlam

Man, our gym has a limit of 100kg on movements outside of a rack, so I'm going to run into problems once I hit that (soon).
Are deadlifts inside squat racks frowned upon?

despire

Man, our gym has a limit of 100kg on movements outside of a rack, so I'm going to run into problems once I hit that (soon).
Are deadlifts inside squat racks frowned upon?

If your gym prohibits doing them elsewhere, I don't see where else you could do them.. If someone complains you can tell them that it's the only place available for that lift because of the policy.

SeanR1221

In positive cut news, I can wear my belt again. Seriously, since my honeymoon it was too tight :/

Second weigh in is tomorrow but if I didn't lose anything I'm not gonna sweat it.

That's why I set a very realistic long term weight loss goal. 190(ish) by November for a cruise. I weighed 203 last week.

Noema

I'm slightly confused by the power clean do you deadlift to the jumping position or deadlift to the hang position and then lower it to the jumping position?

It's just one smooth motion. You start at the same position as the deadlift, explosively pull and then jump as you reach the hang position.

It's just one smooth motion. You start at the same position as the deadlift, explosively pull and then jump as you reach the hang position.

It is by far one of the hardest exercises for me to complete. I'm trying to nail the form down completely before I hit any of the higher weights.

Noema

The most important thing to remember about the Power Clean is that it can't be done slowly. It has to explode from the bottom.

The best way to learn it is to break it down from the top down: learn the rack position, learn to rack the bar from the hang position, then practice cleaning the bar from the floor.

In positive cut news, I can wear my belt again. Seriously, since my honeymoon it was too tight :/

Second weigh in is tomorrow but if I didn't lose anything I'm not gonna sweat it.

That's why I set a very realistic long term weight loss goal. 190(ish) by November for a cruise. I weighed 203 last week.

Good luck!
So far I've managed to gain weight on my cut, but somehow still lost BF%.

We'll see if continues like that for my second weigh-in on monday.

Got a question, fitness-GAF. I've got a BMR of 2156, but a maintenance calorie intake of 2856(going by Lyle McDonald method). Currently at 204lbs. Am I suppose to going for, say, a 500 calorie deficit from the BMR or the maintenance calorie intake? Because 2856 seems like a lot, lol. My diet rarely hits 2000 kcal a day.

Natural

Hit 130kg on bench today, quite pleased but still a long way to go till I can do it comfortably. Think I might alternate the incline barbell benching with some incline dumbbell benching instead though, I can do 40kg quite easy, but getting the 45kg up in both hands is effort without someone giving me a hand :(.

Crap. I think I might have to re-do my 90 kg squats on friday due to bad form :-( . I raised my left heel a little bit on the very last rep in the last set.

What say you guys? Re-do? Or continue?

If it's nothing to worry about, I'll just raise the squat to 92,5 next time.

--------

In other news 37,5 kg OHP = great success! Raising it to 40 kg next week!

Also recieved a sweet comment from another squatter who told me my squats "were pretty deep". Feels good man.

I feel like people who say this must just not work hard enough on days they lift or something.

I know I crave those off days.

..Or maybe some of us are getting addicted to the rush! I'm speaking on my own behalf of course.

No loss of muscle and strength stayed. Not too drastic during my cuts. Anywhere between 1700-2500 a day. I will usually bump it up over 3500 for a day if I feel weak or I think I'm losing size. It's a delicate balance and there is no right answer. I'd suggest being patient and not trying to cut up too quickly because you risk losing that hard earned muscle. Monitor your lifts closely. You can expect your bench and OHP do decrease a bit if you are dropping weight at a good pace so don't be alarmed by that. About 150-200gs of protein is enough for me during a cut. You may be different so pay attention closely to that also.

Oh, and quest bars make cutting a piece of cake! They are a must have.

Awesome stuff.

bumpkin

*high five*

I haven't done my month two weigh-in yet (it's Friday), but I've almost run out of holes on my belt; I've dropped two holes so far, only have one left. If I get much smaller, I'm gonna need a new belt. Just wish that the "first you gain is the last to go" wasn't true. Stupid love-handles are hanging on for dear life. :(

sphinx

the piano man
I feel like people who say this must just not work hard enough on days they lift or something.

oh, I work pretty hard and my body feels sore and needs the rest, no question about it.

I just want to go there and sweat and feel the adrenaline.

crpav

No, it's a multi part issue. It may be due to the love of the gym and lifting as well as the fear of not working out leading to no gains. Truthfully it's a fear that needs to be overcome because rest days are needed to achieve the best results. Took me way too long and much over training to realize it. i used to work out everyday when I was young then started getting older as well as injuries. Life stuff added on top like getting married and having a kid makes it harder to workout as much. Now I workout 2 to 3 days a week and love off days.

Szu

I've always noticed an interesting quirk from some people who don't train on a regular basis when they notice that I'm fit.

Sometimes, they're ask if I work out and then they try to simulate their vision of a type of workout.

The most common one is doing the bicep curl move. Another one is the OHP or raising the roof move.

It's just interesting to see the different variations of these people perceptions of what we do to get ourselves into shape.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've always noticed an interesting quirk from some people who don't train on a regular basis when they notice that I'm fit.

Sometimes, they're ask if I work out and then they try to simulate their vision of a type of workout.

The most common one is doing the bicep curl move. Another one is the OHP or raising the roof move.

It's just interesting to see the different variations of these people perceptions of what we do to get ourselves into shape.

Yeah, I get people that tell me I must live at the gym or spend 20 hours a week there. It's their way of justifying their own inactivity by insinuating that why they might not be as fit as me, it's ok because they aren't wasting all their precious time in a gym.

RoeBear

So if you guys could do one tricep exercise, what would it be? I'm currently running this program, and my progress has been pretty good so far: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155009423 however, my arms are still pretty tiny compared to the progress I've made elsewhere. After running a couple cycles (which I have) it's okay to add in a few more exercises.

I'd say dips too but I tend to cheat and use my left arm more, so I'd say kickbacks maybe if you do them right and all.

burnfout

That's my setup too. I pop three fish oils.

Cooter looking amazing as always!

Yes I stole your supplements from a few pages back.

Very interested in ZMA, I hope my sleeping will improve ( and the other symptoms you mentioned :) ) Popping 3 pills before bed feels weird somehow.

Detox

I want to thank everyone who told me to fix my squat form. Part of my problem was also that I didn't put the bar under my scapula. Not sure if I got it perfect because it hurt a bit just under the shoulders. I dropped down to nothing added the bar and then slowly increased to 60kg. As a short guy I had to step out of the rack because I would have touched the sides and it would impede my form. I'll make sure I get videos on Friday because I'm not sure if I have nailed the hip drive or if I'm going up with my chest.

As for the rest of today's workouts the press and power clean were so so and I didn't have time to follow the practise techniques in starting strength. I think I'll go to the gym on a rest day and just practise all day.

Once again thanks for watching the videos and offering advice.

Yeah, I get people that tell me I must live at the gym or spend 20 hours a week there. It's their way of justifying their own inactivity by insinuating that why they might not be as fit as me, it's ok because they aren't wasting all their precious time in a gym.

Some knowledgeable fitgaffer kinda needs to create a thread in mainstream OT just to dispel some of these gym myths that a lot of folk seem to have.
Like, if you lift weights you'll suddenly become monstrously big. Or that you need to spend 6 hours a day, everyday, to get anywhere. Or that gym goers are exclusively dudebros and steroid users.

There's a particular thread over on OT that's kinda grinding my gears :p

sphinx

the piano man
Some knowledgeable fitgaffer kinda needs to create a thread in mainstream OT just to dispel some of these gym myths that a lot of folk seem to have.
Like, if you lift weights you'll suddenly become monstrously big. Or that you need to spend 6 hours a day, everyday, to get anywhere. Or that gym goers are exclusively dudebros and steroid users.

There's a particular thread over on OT that's kinda grinding my gears :p

the worst are those who think this is a X months program to "get muscles", I don't mean to sound offensive but that's pretty ignorant. This is a discipline, nobody gets good at anything worth a damn in a couple of months. I have been playing the piano for more than 20 years and I am still learning new things every day.

You gotta work hard a long path to get anywhere. the sooner people understand this has to be a lifestyle the sooner they will understand what it is they have to do to reach their goals.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Anyone have a Jacob's Ladder machine in their gym?

JacobsLadderSilo.jpg

I just used it for the first time today after lifting. Holy shit! That thing kicked my ass. After 5 minutes I was dripping sweat and had to call it a day. I'm going to use it every time now.

Petrie

Banned
I dunno I always hate rest days and I work hard.

oh, I work pretty hard and my body feels sore and needs the rest, no question about it.

I just want to go there and sweat and feel the adrenaline.

No, it's a multi part issue. It may be due to the love of the gym and lifting as well as the fear of not working out leading to no gains. Truthfully it's a fear that needs to be overcome because rest days are needed to achieve the best results. Took me way too long and much over training to realize it. i used to work out everyday when I was young then started getting older as well as injuries. Life stuff added on top like getting married and having a kid makes it harder to workout as much. Now I workout 2 to 3 days a week and love off days.

..Or maybe some of us are getting addicted to the rush! I'm speaking on my own behalf of course.

I guess sometimes I just forget not everybody has the robotic logic I do. If I know I'm tired and that resting will give me the best net results, then nothing else matters. No amount of adrenaline, rush, or anything else will effect me, as logic rules all.

I'm a bit insane I guess?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I guess sometimes I just forget not everybody has the robotic logic I do. If I know I'm tired and that resting will give me the best net results, then nothing else matters. No amount of adrenaline, rush, or anything else will effect me, as logic rules all.

I'm a bit insane I guess?
I'm the same but it has taken me a while to get here. I believe rest is equally important as what you do at the gym. I'm very OCD about my rest days and will only break my routine unless I'm forced to.

sphinx

the piano man
we have the same squat PR ahead of us!! good luck getting that 90kg under your belt.

we are gonna make it, o.k? we are going to show that fucking barbell who is the boss.

Anyone have a Jacob's Ladder machine in their gym?

JacobsLadderSilo.jpg

I just used it for the first time today after lifting. Holy shit! That thing kicked my ass. After 5 minutes I was dripping sweat and had to call it a day. I'm going to use it every time now.

saw one of this. a lot of old people r using it and they r drenched

I personally adore the tricep pushdown with a rope attachment.
Just gotta make sure you don't lean back/forward too much, and stand steady as you do the movement.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
36 quest bars for 40 dollars.

That's pretty decent.

buy 2 boxes get 1 free +10 dollars off coupon.

ILoveBish

I've been trying to do dips for almost a week now and I still cannot stay steady once I am holding myself up. I just swing back and forth like I can't control momentum and have to come back down. I am assuming it is because I'm still very heavy and my triceps aren't capable of holding me up stably. Any hints or advice?

Also I am going to take seans advice and use the dip machine more to build up triceps. Will do reverse pyramids on that Friday morning. Back is still healing from the nair burn so still no compounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom