• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

I finally witnessed The Rooster working out. I call him this because I only ever saw him just strutting around the gym in his red muscle shirt with his malformed chest jutted out as far as it could go. Anyway, he wears tearaway pants, so while it's hard to gauge his leg size, they didn't seem particularly big. Imagine my surprise when I saw he was planning to squat 315lbs.

He wasn't even doing quarter squats. More like 1/8 squats.

When he was done he just took off a 45 from each side and left the rest on the bar on the highest rungs of the rack. It's a good thing I had my own rack because there was no way I could have gotten those down safely. By the time I left the gym, the bar was still up there like that, but I guess it was okay cause some guy was using it to stretch and do pull ups.

(Of course when I moved onto the bench press section, somebody left the only open one fully loaded with dumbbells at the feet of the bench)

Satch

Banned
like no joke im not putting up numbers anywhere near everybody else in here but

saturday i did 70 lbs in the squat rack and it was hard, like really fucking hard, and then i skipped squats monday because i was angry at that dude texting in the squat rack, and then i did squats today and jumped to 85 because everything in between was too light

nothing i knew was right

all of it was wrong wrong wrong

i mean, that seated calf raise thing??????

over the course of about two weeks i did it four times and i mean i just dont understand??????

aaeb2fd0df7d11e28e7522000a1fbe50_7.jpg
6147a668e2a411e29f5422000ae9080d_7.jpg

8485f6fce42f11e2a2ce22000a1fa411_7.jpg
f36b587ee9b511e2b78b22000a1f8cd1_7.jpg

like how does a body new to lifting do this??? everything is just wrong about all of this and i hate the tv for lying to me about everything

my goal was to get my squat to 100lbs by the first of august but i feel like im not even giving myself enough credit and can probably get a little further than that

i need to just

somebody help me understand why this is a thing i am capable of doing with my body

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, and during maintenance and I think I will if I ever decide to bulk again. My body seems to be designed to fast. I tell people I must be a descendent from a tribe of hunters that went long stretches without food because my body does very well with fasting and short feeding windows.
You mean, you're a human? ;)

Satch

Banned
well i mean sure im going to have to pump the breaks when i start having problems with increasing weight eventually

but its the fact that a body can be new to lifting and improve in such a drastic way... its astonishing and against all that ive ever believed with regard to how muscles would react to weight lifting

you can spend 1-2 hrs in the gym 3-4 times a week as a newbie and your strength will grow significantly, provided you eat the correct foods and the correct amounts of those foods

like....... what???? the human body is amazing. more people need to realize this

P44

Hey, got another newbie question.

I'm at a fairly high bf% (around 25-ish), so operating on around abouts a 500 calorie deficit a day to ditch the waitline mostly. I've also just started lifting, after basically not lifting anything heavier than 5kg in my life. Will I make any gains as a newbie, or does the deficit stymie that? I'm eating completely clean and everything.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hey, got another newbie question.

I'm at a fairly high bf% (around 25-ish), so operating on around abouts a 500 calorie deficit a day to ditch the waitline mostly. I've also just started lifting, after basically not lifting anything heavier than 5kg in my life. Will I make any gains as a newbie, or does the deficit stymie that? I'm eating completely clean and everything.

Yes, you'll make gains if you're getting enough protein and you're eating healthy (low sugar, high omega 3 to promote insulin sensitivity and adipose tissue mobility) and not starving yourself. You have excess calories sitting on your body and you're a beginner, so don't worry too much about locking into bulk/cut principles for now if you want to do a general aesthetics improvement. After six months you can reflect on where you are and decide what you want to focus on (lowering bf% or increasing lean mass) since gains will start getting harder on a caloric restriction.

Kawl_USC

I tried to use the 10$ off coupon from the thread at GNC and the guy said you can't double up on discounts, and he was counting the 25% discount for buying an entire box as opposed to individual bars as a discount already. Paid like 26$ for the box. Much higher than I was expecting from the tales of wonder in this thread.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I tried to use the 10$ off coupon from the thread at GNC and the guy said you can't double up on discounts, and he was counting the 25% discount for buying an entire box as opposed to individual bars as a discount already. Paid like 26$ for the box. Much higher than I was expecting from the tales of wonder in this thread.

I get the same treatment.

Instead of Quest I turn to Fage yogurt unflavored. :|

well i mean sure im going to have to pump the breaks when i start having problems with increasing weight eventually

but its the fact that a body can be new to lifting and improve in such a drastic way... its astonishing and against all that ive ever believed with regard to how muscles would react to weight lifting

you can spend 1-2 hrs in the gym 3-4 times a week as a newbie and your strength will grow significantly, provided you eat the correct foods and the correct amounts of those foods

like....... what???? the human body is amazing. more people need to realize this

the human body is amazing.

never give up. never say die. iron eagle.

I was able to do the 2 for 1. Got 12 bars for $13 after the coupon!

PBY

Banned
Havent squatted, deaded, or cleaned pretty much at all in 8 months.

Butt shrinkage totally worked. Legs aren't flabby or anything since I biked, etc.

Gonna ease back into squatting. I hit 4 plates at my peak, have no idea what kind of weight I can do now. Either way, I'm happy to have gotten rid of that weird power lifter build that plagues some people- ie huge core skinnier arms and calves.

despire

So my back deltoids are pretty small compared to my front delts. Actually I'm not sure if there's anything there :p

Anyway what I'm asking is that should I just stick to rowing, chins, pulldowns etc. to make them grow or should I look in to adding couple of sets of (rear) lateral raises in my shoulder workout? I need to get seriously stronger with my rows, chins etc anyway. Didn't do enough of them or go heavy enough before and I'm only been catching up lately.

Noema

I feel like people who say this must just not work hard enough on days they lift or something.

I know I crave those off days.

I hear you. Specially since on 5/3/1 I'm training 4 days a week. The weekend can never come soon enough.

So my back deltoids are pretty small compared to my front delts. Actually I'm not sure if there's anything there :p

Anyway what I'm asking is that should I just stick to rowing, chins, pulldowns etc. to make them grow or should I look in to adding couple of sets of (rear) lateral raises in my shoulder workout? I need to get seriously stronger with my rows, chins etc anyway. Didn't do enough of them or go heavy enough before and I'm only been catching up lately.

3 or 4 sets of rear delt flies won't kill ya. I do them on Friday after I'm done with my assistance work. It's a nice dessert from all the hard work and I can already see the difference.

Just make sure to do them real light and focus on the contraction. You want quality reps for hypertrophy; don't just move the weight for the sake of moving it.

despire

Just make sure to do them real light and focus on the contraction. You want quality reps for hypertrophy; don't just move the weight for the sake of moving it.

Yeah, that's my plan. I reckon I'll cram a couple of sets in after pressing.

Thanks!

a day later after doing squats and Dat burn when I tried to take the stairs to the 3rd floor at work, should I crack and use the elevator or keep on walking

balddemon

Banned
a day later after doing squats and Dat burn when I tried to take the stairs to the 3rd floor at work, should I crack and use the elevator or keep on walking

my legs are dead after therapy, and tomorrow I'm gonna do high rep deads lmao. shits gonna suck.

testing out that rum and coke gainz theory by martin berkham tonight....and the next 3 nights haha.

here's a shitty progress pic after a quarter fifth of kraken
http://i.imgur.com/5uZlwra.jpg

deadbeef

Has anyone successfully made it through the BBB 3 Month challenge? This stuff is getting hard already at 60%, haha. 70% is gonna blow

deadbeef

Not with the BBB increases. It's my plan come September - November. Just have to EAT.

I switched to the higher intensity 531 percentages when I did this too so maybe that's messing me up. It was all I could do to get through 5x10. DL @ 60% without puking. Ughh

Visceir

I'd like some help with my diet/nutrition.

Height: 183 cm (6.0 ft)
Weight: 77.5 kg (171 lbs)

Been going to the gym for a month and a half now, three times a week. Decided to start keeping a closer eye on my calories. Online calculators say I'm at 23% BMI. I calculated my BMR to be 1623.

Should I take 1.5x of that and add 250 calories to get my daily needed calories to gain weight/muscle? That would end up being 2684. Should I be eating less on days when I'm not working out? If yes then what % of that should I be eating on off days?

My quads are starting to feel obscenely big. My boxers are pretty tight right now. I'm feeling like the hulk ready to burst out of my underwear.

I may have to buy bigger boxer shorts next month :-( /first world problems

I'd like some help with my diet/nutrition.

Height: 183 cm (6.0 ft)
Weight: 77.5 kg (171 lbs)

Been going to the gym for a month and a half now, three times a week. Decided to start keeping a closer eye on my calories. Online calculators say I'm at 23% BMI. I calculated my BMR to be 1623.

Should I take 1.5x of that and add 250 calories to get my daily needed calories to gain weight/muscle? That would end up being 2684. Should I be eating less on days when I'm not working out? If yes then what % of that should I be eating on off days?

fyi BMI isn't a percentage, just a number. Units are kg/m^2. BMI will become less and less useful to you from now on as it is flawed when dealing with muscular physiques. Basically thinks they're obese.

Yeah you can times it by 1.5 although most people +/- 500kcal for bulking/cutting. But you don't need to worry about it too much especially as you've only just started. They're just estimations. Use one to start off with and then weigh yourself every week and see if you're gaining weight too quickly/slowly and adjust your calories accordingly or if all's good keep doing what you're doing. Also don't be afraid to ignore the scales, the mirror is your best friend. Weight can fluctuate too wildly to be the be all and end all.

Basically if you eat lots of protein (1 gram per pound of lean body mass is a good goal), and eat well and enough in general you'll be fine.

Oh and no you don't have to eat less on off days.

Visceir

fyi BMI isn't a percentage, just a number. Units are kg/m^2. BMI will become less and less useful to you from now on as it is flawed when dealing with muscular physiques. Basically thinks they're obese.

Yeah you can times it by 1.5 although most people +/- 500kcal for bulking/cutting. But you don't need to worry about it too much especially as you've only just started. They're just estimations. Use one to start off with and then weigh yourself every week and see if you're gaining weight too quickly/slowly and adjust your calories accordingly or if all's good keep doing what you're doing. Also don't be afraid to ignore the scales, the mirror is your best friend. Weight can fluctuate too wildly to be the be all and end all.

Basically if you eat lots of protein (1 gram per pound of lean body mass is a good goal), and eat well and enough in general you'll be fine.

Oh and no you don't have to eat less on off days.

Thanks,

I'm not a big eater and while I was heavily focusing on getting enough protein with every meal I didn't pay attention to calories at all and now when I was doing my calculations I found out I only ate around 2000 calories per day. That's with a light breakfast, a proper meal for lunch, a chicken+vegetables meal after work, another chicken+vegetables meal for dinner and some curd cheese before bed.

Did some playing around with calories calculator and found out that eating 100 g of nuts/seeds and having some muesli with milk or something like that would give me an extra 1000 calories.

Today is my second rest day in a row and it seems like I will hit 2300 calories today. Would that be alright or should I just get the extra 300 - 400 calories from somewhere?

I guess I don't really mind gaining some fat and doing dirty bulking. I was stuck at the same weight for a few weeks now and did the diet changes during the past few days, guess I'll just check next time in the gym. I've been definitely gaining strenght so atleast that is a good sign.

like no joke im not putting up numbers anywhere near everybody else in here but

saturday i did 70 lbs in the squat rack and it was hard, like really fucking hard, and then i skipped squats monday because i was angry at that dude texting in the squat rack, and then i did squats today and jumped to 85 because everything in between was too light

nothing i knew was right

all of it was wrong wrong wrong

i mean, that seated calf raise thing??????

over the course of about two weeks i did it four times and i mean i just dont understand??????

like how does a body new to lifting do this??? everything is just wrong about all of this and i hate the tv for lying to me about everything

my goal was to get my squat to 100lbs by the first of august but i feel like im not even giving myself enough credit and can probably get a little further than that

i need to just

somebody help me understand why this is a thing i am capable of doing with my body

There was a post a while back about "noob gains" and how it relates to the central nervous system adapting to lifting heavy things repeatedly when the body has never learned how to do it on a recurring basis. Can't seem to find that post though.

JB1981

So I started squatting again. The weight is very light and already I feel strange inflammation/soreness in my calves and knees. I have a foam roller and noticed when rolling that my calves and quads/IT band are extremely tight. Using the roller results in almost excruciating pain. I am sweating by the time I am done because of the pain! The odd thing is I am not inflexible. I am able to squat to appropriate depth very easily. Anyone else had this problem? I think I need a serious deep tissue massage or something.

Szu

A nice feel good story for this morning.

Last night was leg day. This morning, I feel some very slight DOMS.

I take the NY subway to work and my train station is on an elevated platform. It takes about four flights of stairs and a short path to get to the platform.

I also take a bus to the subway. Usually, I like to get out of the bus ahead of everyone, because I don't want to fall behind the bottleneck crowd that slows down the commute. This morning, I was mixed together with a few people as I walked toward the first set of stairs.

Then as I got about 10 feet from the foot of the stair, I heard the rumbling of my train arriving at the station. If I gun it from this point, I could usually get into the train just before the doors close. However, there was a teenager in front of me who had the same idea.

Don't worry, this didn't turn into a race. He was probably half my age and size, but he had a fast enough pace to get to train on time, so i didn't try to overtake him.

But then, disaster almost befell our mutual commute. His umbrella that was poorly holstered onto his backpack became dislodged and fell to the stairs. It startled me to the point of stopping to inspect the fallen accessory. The teenager also stopped a mere few steps from me trying to contemplate the dire situation. We were losing the precious seconds which could result in the lose of almost 8 minutes waiting for the next train.

Fearing the lose of 8 minutes of our lives, I retrieved the umbrella and extended it to it's rightful owner. He also reached out to accept this display of broness.

Once he touched the umbrella and our eyes made contact, it was as if our minds had merged and a single thought was uttered from deep within our souls.

"Let's roll."

With an new found sense of determination, we increased our pace to the peak. With our Metrocards in hand, we swiped through the gates of Bay Parkway station. There were a few more elderly dissidents in our path. We glided out way past them with ease until we reached the final set of stairs. My new companion misjudged a turn and was blindsided behind a woman halfway up the stairs. In his moment of distress, I saw an opening and pressed forth through the final steps.

There in front of me was the magnificent beast that would transport us to new worlds and different boroughs. I leaped into the mouth of the silver dragon. With all my might, I held open the doors to our salvation. My fellow companion rushed into the belly of the beast.

As I was about to crumble underneath the crushing force of the doors, I heard a faint voice behind me.

"....please hold the door.....for.....me...."

It was the woman that nearly impeded our success. However, chivalry shall not be denied. With a deep breath, I clutched the doors and held them open to welcome another fellow traveler.

Today...was a good day.

I looked at my new companions and we were joined again with a single thought in our different minds.

"Let's find a seat."

TLDR: Had a leg day. Legs sore, but still fit enough to be able to keep up with someone half my age by running up a bunch of stairs. Feels good, man.

wow that's bullshit.

also happy to be up to 250 for my working sets on squats.

Mully

Redoing my last cycle since works been crazy and I haven't had enough time to go to the gym the past three weeks. Part of it is because I work 10 hour labor days, 4-5 days a week. The other part is I lost my determination and haven't pushed myself to go when I "felt shitty."

Time to watch Steve Pulcinella videos and eat better again.

PBY

Banned
Being nice/friendly w my GNC cashier is so important. I know two of the girls who work their now, that helps a ton. Always get the coupon + GNC membership rate. 13 dollar boxes yo.

Petrie

Banned
Being nice/friendly w my GNC cashier is so important. I know two of the girls who work their now, that helps a ton. Always get the coupon + GNC membership rate. 13 dollar boxes yo.

Yup. The guys at mine know me when I come in, and give me zero hassle. I'm polite, and always let other customers not doing weird transactions like mine go ahead. Works wonders.

Teggy

Was looking up videos for proper form on seated military press and came upon this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia9Ki9w2WbI

Instead of putting his back in the seat the guy is sitting out and arching his back towards the back rest, especially at the higher weights. Is that normal? He's practically doing a bench press at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom