• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noema

This guy at my work is ridiculous. He just started working out a month ago, when he joined my gym. I only went with him once and he did my workouts, he struggled deadlifting 290 lbs. Now he's going around saying he's been both squatting (high bar) and deadlifting 375. Either he's full of shit or he doesn't know how to count. He thought the bar weighs 75.

Is this him?

x58HA.gif

horrible-deadlift-o.gif

My chest has been beast mode the last 3 weeks now, don't know where that extra gear has come from but I like it. Was able to rep 140# dbs 3x8, feel like I should be able to do working sets with 150-155# dbs soon, rather than just using them in my final set for 3-5 reps.

yo

damn...

ACE 1991

I wonder if part of the reason my body looks like shit (chest and stomach fat, little muscle/mass) is due to low HGH levels as an adult. I recieved HGH injections up until age 14 or 15 in order to achieve at least average height due to low levels, and I stopped taking the drug once my growth plates fused. I find it hard to believe whatever pituitary problem I had is somehow magically fixed now that I'm three years into adulthood.

The fuck is wrong with people?

Some high school doucher loaded up the leg press machine (both bottom rails and even the top two) with 45's at the gym I work at. Lifted it off and practically split his anus immediately. I know it's terrible, but in my head, I was like, "Fuck you, you deserved that."

That's what happens when you lift to show off.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm not sure what to do. I usually lift on a 17-18 hour fast. I'm a creature of habit and since I've been seeing good results I always try to stay strong and not eat anything before I lift no matter how hungry I am. Today my wife is running late and I said would wait for her which I don't mind but that puts me right around 21 hours. I am absolutely starving, Stomach won't shut up! I should probably have a quest bar but I don't want to change anything even though the fast period has changed! Arrgh! I guess I'll suck it up and drink some water.

rando14

I'm not sure what to do. I usually lift on a 17-18 hour fast. I'm a creature of habit and since I've been seeing good results I always try to stay strong and not eat anything before I lift no matter how hungry I am. Today my wife is running late and I said would wait for her which I don't mind but that puts me right around 21 hours. I am absolutely starving, Stomach won't shut up! I should probably have a quest bar but I don't want to change anything even though the fast period has changed! Arrgh! I guess I'll suck it up and drink some water.

YOU ARE THE MASTER OF YOUR OWN BODY

YOU CONTROL YOUR DESTINY. FUCK WEAKNESS

iZJpCsj6IZZ0I.gif

I'd have probably just drank a couple glasses of water

Noema

The University gym I train at will be closed for two weeks starting today, so I decided to scout the area near my house to look for a gym to train at for that period.

It's amazing how hard it is to actually find a squat rack. I had to visit 4 gyms before I actually found one.

The first gym I visited is a new chain of fancy Globo Gyms called Smart Fit. Unfortunately they wouldn't just let me train for 2 weeks; I'd need to pay for the full month plus an annual fee. No, thank you.

Another of those gyms (which seemed like a late 80s / early 90s Gym frozen in time) had 5 leg presses and two smith machines and not a single rack. . As I was hopelessly wandering around to see if maybe I was missing something, a gigantic dude who worked there (literaly the largest human being I've ever seen IRL; he looked like a Mr. Olympia reject) walked up to me and asked if I was looking for something. I asked if they had a squat rack and he pointed at the Smith Machines "You can squat there".

I finally did find a gym with a rack, and that's the gym I'm going to train at. When the trainer was showing me around I only saw a Smith Machine and I feared the worst, but hidden in a corner was an actual, honest to god squat rack. I would've preferred a power rack, but beggars can't be choosers. And they've even got 1.25lb plates.

Some high school doucher loaded up the leg press machine (both bottom rails and even the top two) with 45's at the gym I work at. Lifted it off and practically split his anus immediately. I know it's terrible, but in my head, I was like, "Fuck you, you deserved that."

I'm convinced the Incline Leg Press only exists so bros in Globo Gyms can show off and grunt.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

lol that's good shit

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I know it's a ripoff. I've never liked GNC due to their higher prices. Think Vitamin Shoppe will match the $10 coupon though?
Is 36 bars for 40 dollars a ripoff? Seems like a great deal.

I'd never buy them for pull price.

Thats $1.11 a bar.

Direct from quest its 25 dollars a box.

Cooter

I'm beat after hi rep squats and looking smaller than usual after a very disciplined week of eating. Weighed myself and I was 179! Holy hell! I thought my abs were popping out extra but I also noticed my shoulders looking smaller. F that noise! Sushi tonight followed by a strict day tomorrow and a cheat day Sunday.

Did I get lucky?

Member price is 20.56 at my gnc.

3 boxes for 41.12

Member price on the website shows $34.09 and you have to pay the $15 for a membership to get that discount. I wonder if the would price match Vitamin Shoppe and still let you do the buy 2 get 1 free deal and use the $10 coupon. I'm not sure how you got such a great price unless they give different member discounts in store than on the website?

Cooter said:
But they are still 2 for 1 which comes out to about 24 bucks.

They are buy 2 get 1 free. Not buy 1 get 1 free.

Cooter

If you buy two boxes for 70 bucks and get one free that is about 24 dollars a box including tax.

EDIT: I realize the way I wrote it means 2 boxes for the price of one. Oops. My math is correct though.

I'm doing a fat loss diet, but at the same time I am trying to get a good amount of protein since I'm doing SS. 200g of protein/gram a pound seems kinda crazy to me, I almost never that hungry to eat so much.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Member price on the website shows $34.09 and you have to pay the $15 for a membership to get that discount. I wonder if the would price match Vitamin Shoppe and still let you do the buy 2 get 1 free deal and use the $10 coupon. I'm not sure how you got such a great price unless they give different member discounts in store than on the website?

I didn't pay for membership. Guy at my gnc just said I'll give you the member price.

blackflag

Damn, that sucks.

As for quarter squatters, I can count with less than two hands the amount of people at my gym that hit parallel. Best is one of the buffest guys I've seen that's 2 inches shorter than me squatting 3 plates below parallel. Never seen anyone there go for 4.

Speaking of plates, it's hilarious that I can knock out 4 for 12 reps on the leg press with relative ease, while feeling burned at 105lbs x 12 squats. Hopefully I can keep adding 10lbs each session with my back feeling 100% by the end of the month.

Yeah you can't really compare squats and leg presses at all.

I squat 365 for like 2 reps that's the most I've tried. I can get 315 x 7 or 8.

After my squat session I do full rom leg presses with 20 plates for 12-15 reps each. 1018 lbs including the sled weight. 4 sets

Cooter

Any fear I had of losing size was put to rest tonight! I'm pretty good at estimating calories at this point and I'd say with my 2 7&7s and sushi I had somewhere between 8,000 and 10,000 calories tonight. Lord I'm full. Had over 15 long rolls, 5 hand rolls and about 10 pieces of sushi. Bring on back day tomorrow morning!

sphinx

the piano man
Two words: Quarter. Squats.

I don't go checking on everyone and their ROMs and their moves, I always assume everybody is trying their best and will get better over time...however...

if I happen to be around the squat rack and watch someone do a set...I'll follow the set in my mind like "incomplete......incomplete.....incomplete.....incomplete...incomplete" lol.... don't know if that makes me a douchbag,

In my mind I have three categories:

A) Complete (honest to god, complete ROM, move done as if it were with an empty barbell)
B) Half-assed (It may count as a rep, but keeping in mind that quality was low)
C) Failure (arms/legs barely or didn't move at all, had to put back the barbell)

but I really appreciate and admire guys doing things right, I love to watch and learn, I guess that evens me out.

90 kg/200 lbs squat was succesfull this time! Moving up to 92,5 kg. If you're reading this Sphinx I hope you got there too buddy!

eh, life is getting on my way, I have a trip to another city so and I've been busy. haven't gone for that PR yet but I'll bring the news as I get them. :D

how do you go for PRs? I consider a record broken when I succesfully do 3X5, as per the SS principle. Are yours 1RM sets or something totally different?

you may want to put your info here www.strstd.com and see where you stand.

despire

Yeah you can't really compare squats and leg presses at all.

I squat 365 for like 2 reps that's the most I've tried. I can get 315 x 7 or 8.

After my squat session I do full rom leg presses with 20 plates for 12-15 reps each. 1018 lbs including the sled weight. 4 sets

Wat

:D

agrajag

Banned
I'm with you Sphinx, I saw a guy squatting high bar ass to grass the other day, and it made me shed a tear of joy. 99% of the time I'm thinking "why don't you take a couple of plates off and do shit right." Everyone at my gym probably thinks I'm the weirdo for breaking parallel and not rounding my back on deadlifts.

Yeah buddy!.. finally broke the three plate barrier in squats today with 2 x 140 kg (308 lb) and 1 x 145 kg (320) after that. Felt great even though I'm not 100% sure if I broke the parallel. Gonna have to film my squatting one of these days..

Yes - I have been eating the same amount as recommended by the daily calories calculator. Or perhaps I have to eat more than what's 'recommended'.

Sunflower made an excellent point some time ago that those calorie calculators should be considered as rough estimates. It might be broscience but I think you'll need to eat more than you're current recomended calorie intake to continue getting bigger numbers. Your body will demand more energy to execute heavy exercises, therefore you'll need to consume more than your current estimate. Cause if you continue eating the same amount, you'll be stuck at what your body is capable of performing at that amount.

That's whats been working for me thus far anyway. Then again I'm speaking as a former hard gainer/skinny guy, so I'm required to eat alot. Dunno how different your situation is.

eh, life is getting on my way, I have a trip to another city so and I've been busy. haven't gone for that PR yet but I'll bring the news as I get them. :D

how do you go for PRs? I consider a record broken when I succesfully do 3X5, as per the SS principle. Are yours 1RM sets or something totally different?

Same here; SS : 3x5. My 1RM isn't any different.

The way I see it a PR is reached when I fulfill these criteria:

• a) I perform given exercise in proper form i.e: not liftning my heels&feet, straightened back (for the love of god not bent), acceptable position
  • b) full body movement - not ½ squats, nor 1/4 or 1/8 squats, all the way down - as far as I can, parallel is the least requirement, complete ROM
  • c) complete said exercises 3X5 at constant/same weight, without adjusting or lowering the weight.

3 years ago, on the stronglifts 5X5 program, I was able to pull of 5X5 115/255 or 117,5 kg/259 lbs squats if I remember right. Maybe a little more, I can't remember. I didn't keep track of my statistics as I do now.

I used to get wierd stares and strange looks for doing 115 kg 5X5 for a guy of my physique. Probably because I wasn't a huge dude.

you may want to put your info here www.strstd.com and see where you stand.

Hmm, I have to read up on this haven't seen this before. Does this mean I have to stop doing 3X5 and move to a different modified program?

SeanR1221

Yeah buddy!.. finally broke the three plate barrier in squats today with 2 x 140 kg (308 lb) and 1 x 145 kg (320) after that. Felt great even though I'm not 100% sure if I broke the parallel. Gonna have to film my squatting one of these days..

Congrats! That's where I stand as my max squat.

It helps having a side spotter that can yell "up!" As soon as you hit parallel.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I have read up on this haven't seen this before. Does this mean I have to stop doing 3X5 and move to a different modified program?
There's no hard and fast rule, but most people find their linear progression stalls once they get past "intermediate" weights. It depends on the individual though. Some may find they're still progressing fine for quite a while, others may need to switch sooner and some will be wanting to gain or lose significant amounts of weight, making any standard based on bodyweight ratios less relevant.

Beginner programs such as SS or SL generally use deloads as an indicator; if you're doing everything right (diet, rest etc...) but reach 3 or so deloads (reducing weight after failing to get programmed reps for a few sessions in a row) it may be time to move to an intermediate program.

There's no hard and fast rule, but most people find their linear progression stalls once they get past "intermediate" weights. It depends on the individual though. Some may find they're still progressing fine for quite a while, others may need to switch sooner and some will be wanting to gain or lose significant amounts of weight, making any standard based on bodyweight ratios less relevant.

Beginner programs such as SS or SL generally use deloads as an indicator; if you're doing everything right (diet, rest etc...) but reach 3 or so deloads (reducing weight after failing to get programmed reps for a few sessions in a row) it may be time to move to an intermediate program.

Very informative. Thanks! I guess I'll wrap up next week on SS and begin gearing up for 5/3/1 after that.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Congrats! That's where I stand as my max squat.

It helps having a side spotter that can yell "up!" As soon as you hit parallel.
I'm still paranoid about not hitting parallel even though my cousin and random have said I got low enough and I've tested by myself by seeing if I could touch the small stool that's usually near the squat rack.

SeanR1221

I'm still paranoid about not hitting parallel even though my cousin and random have said I got low enough and I've tested by myself by seeing if I could touch the small stool that's usually near the squat rack.

You kind of have to "feel" the squat depth, you know? I wish there weren't so many mirrors in the gym :(

im getting a little visible vein on my shoulder

its cute

Gettin' all she-hulk up in here.

agrajag

Banned
feeling good lately. I've been hovering around the same weight (165 @ 5'7"), but I feel like I look slimmer now, my arms look bigger. I guess I'll be taking a progress pic soon.

Nelo Ice

Banned
You kind of have to "feel" the squat depth, you know? I wish there weren't so many mirrors in the gym :(
I think I know what you mean. I've felt it in all the right areas and it def feels like I go down low enough espcially since I can tell if I won't be able to get back up if I put too much weight and went lower to parallel. I just like having extra confirmation even if it feels right.

I don't even notice women at the gym, as I try to stay as focused as possible, but I notice my gym buddy keeps slacking off and heading to the water fountain - probably so he can catch an extra look at any females in the building :p

ZeroRay

Very informative. Thanks! I guess I'll wrap up next week on SS and begin gearing up for 5/3/1 after that.

If linear progression is still working for you, there's no reason to stop doing SS until you stall and every remedy stops working.

ie.

- Deloads don't help
- Lowering weight increment increases stop working
- Form improvements do nada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom