• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

agrajag

Banned
pigs

hey what does the belt do? ive seen like three people at the gym wear one

helps you tighten your core more when you fill your belly with air and push out your abs so they press up against the belt. I think it's supposed to give your core a little bit more stability and power on your lifts.. I'm getting one for my birthday.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Nothing like a massive sushi feed the night before a morning workout to help your numbers!

115lb weighted pullups for 4 and bent over rows 235x4

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
hi im new here, quick question

what are some good foods to gain weight? my doctor told me no protein.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So is it normal to deload on SS after a PR.? Did 185 lb squat the other night but this morning only did 155 since the bigger weights I could tell I wasn't getting parallel. First time going in the morning too, only had breakfast about an hour before.

agrajag

Banned
hi im new here, quick question

what are some good foods to gain weight? my doctor told me no protein.

Carbs. But you should eat a lot of protein for dem muscle gainz. The way I understand it, protein is very satiating, which is why it's hard to gain weight eating only protein because it'll be difficult to consume enough calories that way.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
im sorry, i meant protein shakes/bars/etc because of kidney problems.

what are some protein rich foods i guess. something i can buy at a store and eat it right away.

im sorry, i meant protein shakes/bars/etc because of kidney problems.

what are some protein rich foods i guess. something i can buy at a store and eat it right away.

Chicken, buy a ton, cook in the oven, and throw portions into food containers for lunch/dinner (eat within 2 days though) to be microwaved alongside some healthy greens like broccoli or brussel sprouts. For breakfast, eat cans of tuna, but you might want to not go overboard there due to the heavy metals in it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Haven't had a chance to skim through the thread in a while, so I was wondering if anyone could bring me up to speed on the absolute best deal on Quest bars right now. I heard someone mention something about 40 Quest bars for $36. What are the details?

Almost a week has passed since I started taking the training seriously(bulking). Eating shitloads of protein.

I already feel stronger, bigger and firmer. I think I'm doing around +500 kcal a day currently.

I think I've set out my plan. Go from 77 kgs to 86 kgs. I expect ending the bulk by the end of November and start cutting by the end of Nov/start of Dec. During this time I'm planning to hire a PT for a few sessions

Then cut for 2-2,5 months, to go down to 80kgs and then start bulking again for 3 months. Start cutting around mid may to be in shape for the summer

Sounds good?

FPS Fan

Neo Member
What a good day at the gym, even after going getting only 5 hrs of sleep. I swapped to the upper/lower split program two weeks ago after about 5 months of the OP program. I learned from my brother that he also had issues with lagging chest increases, so I decided the upper lower split would help me focus on that. Started today with a new max of 3x5x110 OHP. Turned right to bench press and hit a max of 3x5x175, which after having plateaued at 165 on SS 3 or 4 times, really felt amazing. Rounded it out with a new max of 3x5x140 on bent over BB row.

Of course, after those three I tried pullups and they were not happening at all, my arms were done. But damn, it's such a good feeling pushing past those maxes. Deadlifts have also gotten to 1x5x305. I can taste the 3 plates from here.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone in here succeeded in progressively putting on muscle while losing fat or keeping body fat % low at the same time? Just curious as it seems most people are doing bulk/cut cycles.

Haven't had a chance to skim through the thread in a while, so I was wondering if anyone could bring me up to speed on the absolute best deal on Quest bars right now. I heard someone mention something about 40 Quest bars for $36. What are the details?

I'm not sure how MTHanded got that deal above, but noone else will get it. I got 4 boxes of 12 bars for $80 after tax earlier. It was buy 2 get 1 free plus he gave me half off a 4th and then I used the $10 coupon listed a couple of pages back. You have to go to a corporate gnc store though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Has anyone in here succeeded in progressively putting on muscle while losing fat or keeping body fat % low at the same time? Just curious as it seems most people are doing bulk/cut cycles.

I believe I have put on muscle while dropping substantial amounts of fat, but I started at 30% bf and am now just below 20%, so I expect it to become increasingly hard as I approach 15%.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't go checking on everyone and their ROMs and their moves, I always assume everybody is trying their best and will get better over time...however...

if I happen to be around the squat rack and watch someone do a set...I'll follow the set in my mind like "incomplete......incomplete.....incomplete.....incomplete...incomplete" lol.... don't know if that makes me a douchbag,

In my mind I have three categories:

A) Complete (honest to god, complete ROM, move done as if it were with an empty barbell)
B) Half-assed (It may count as a rep, but keeping in mind that quality was low)
C) Failure (arms/legs barely or didn't move at all, had to put back the barbell)

Out of curiosity, do you think it's better to focus on weight levels that you can with the same range of motion--the same speed--as if it were an empty barbell as opposed to weight where you can still complete the motion, but may struggle with it?

Right now I'm definitely using weight that I almost struggle with (may have a bit of trouble with my form in the final few reps of the final set). I'm wondering if I should lower the weight a bit to keep the best form possible, but I also want to make sure I'm stimulating my muscles to be able to grow.

I believe I have put on muscle while dropping substantial amounts of fat, but I started at 30% bf and am now just below 20%, so I expect it to become increasingly hard as I approach 15%.

Thanks! I figure I'm around 20% body fat right now and am hoping to put on a decent amount of lean mass while dropping fat. I've just been going to the gym for two weeks, though, so I'll wait until I've done this for a few months at least before making any judgments about the feasibility.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Woo! Gained another two pounds. That makes 5 lbs. in two weeks. I've never had gains like that in my life. :rock

Jack_AG

Banned
At a BBQ right now. Been here an hour and already threw down 4 burgers and 2 pork chops. More going on the grill right now. Lots of compliments on my gains from peeps I haven't seen in a while so I feel all fuzzy inside.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
]I'm not sure how MTHanded got that deal above, but noone else will get it.[/B] I got 4 boxes of 12 bars for $80 after tax earlier. It was buy 2 get 1 free plus he gave me half off a 4th and then I used the $10 coupon listed a couple of pages back. You have to go to a corporate gnc store though.

12 bars at "buy 2 get 1 free" is 8 x $2.84 = $22.72. $10 off $20 or more makes that $12.72 for 12 bars. The more you buy at once, the less of an effect the $10 off coupon is going to give, so just go in more often and use the coupon each time if you want to save more money.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thanks! I figure I'm around 20% body fat right now and am hoping to put on a decent amount of lean mass while dropping fat. I've just been going to the gym for two weeks, though, so I'll wait until I've done this for a few months at least before making any judgments about the feasibility.

Just to set expectations, you probably want to think in quarters not weeks. I have found muscle to be insanely slow to build compared to how fast fat is to shed. I think I read somewhere that it can take a year to put on 5kg new muscle. But in pics taken a few months apart you should be able to tell. Make it a habit to always stand in the same spot with the same clothes holding the same camera in the same height to make them comparable.

Mayyhem

I've got a good amount of veins around my muscles (mostly forearms, arms, and shoulders) but you can just see them through the skin. I wonder how much bigger I have to get before I see even one "popping" out vein.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
h8chq6s.jpg

My food for the next few days.

Mesquite smoked whole chickens. grilled asparagus and roasted red peppers.

Matugi

Ahh, the glories of creatine; haven't cycled in four months so when I started up again on Monday my body wasn't used to it. In short I've gained 4 pounds of water weight in 5 days lol.

abuC

Ughhh, I fucking hate my right shoulder, today I was playing with my nephews and my brother in laws goddaughter ages 2, 4 and 10. We're throwing a ball around and one of the throws is too high so I jump and stretch out to get it and get a shooting pain in my shoulder, this is after about a month of it feeling about 95% back to where it was. I can lift weights, I can throw, I can do laterals and rotations, yet just stretching out to catch a ball gave me pain. This impingement is the worst, I wish it on nobody else but Will I am.

Kawl_USC

Ughhh, I fucking hate my right shoulder, today I was playing with my nephews and my brother in laws goddaughter ages 2, 4 and 10. We're throwing a ball around and one of the throws is too high so I jump and stretch out to get it and get a shooting pain in my shoulder, this is after about a month of it feeling about 95% back to where it was. I can lift weights, I can throw, I can do laterals and rotations, yet just stretching out to catch a ball gave me pain. This impingement is the worst, I wish it on nobody else but Will I am.

Shoulder injuries in general just blow from my experience. I swear I can just sleep on mine the wrong way and it will be bothering me for days unless I'm holding it in a very specific position. And its been years since I hurt mine and got surgery.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, proper form sure can be confusing. Especially for the squat.

Today, I guy came up to me after I was finishing a set of 135 lbs. x 5 repetitions. He told me I had bad form and was going to hurt my back. He gave me some good advice saying that I was almost going on my tip toes when coming back up, but then he told me that I need to try keeping my back straight and mostly vertical and looking straight ahead. That's contrary to what I've been reading in Starting Strength and in a lot of other places on the Internet.

It is true that I feel it in my lower back after a round of squats. Should that not be happening? Anyway, I decided to drop the weight again and focus on going deep, keeping my feet flat on the ground the whole way and driving up with my hips (my ass). Despite dropping the weight 30 lbs. I really felt it in my glutes and hamstring muscles, so I think I'm on the right track.

Oh, and I got my deadlift up to 155 lbs! I'm finally lifting my own body weight. I struggled a bit, though, and probably sacrificed my form quite a bit, so I think I'm going to drop the weight next time around, though.

SeanR1221

Today, I guy came up to me after I was finishing a set of 135 lbs. x 5 repetitions. He told me I had bad form and was going to hurt my back. He gave me some good advice saying that I was almost going on my tip toes when coming back up, but then he told me that I need to try keeping my back straight and mostly vertical and looking straight ahead. That's contrary to what I've been reading in Starting Strength and in a lot of other places on the Internet.

It is true that I feel it in my lower back after a round of squats. Should that not be happening? Anyway, I decided to drop the weight again and focus on going deep, keeping my feet flat on the ground the whole way and driving up with my hips (my ass). Despite dropping the weight 30 lbs. I really felt it in my glutes and hamstring muscles, so I think I'm on the right track.

Oh, and I got my deadlift up to 155 lbs! I'm finally lifting my own body weight. I struggled a bit, though, and probably sacrificed my form quite a bit, so I think I'm going to drop the weight next time around, though.

Trust starting strength. You don't keep your back vertical unless you're doing a front squat.

If your heels are coming up though, that's a problem. Your best bet is to take a video and we (especially Noema) can give you advice.

Few days? I don't think I could let that last for a day.

tumblr_inline_mlu2joXCHA1qz4rgp.gif

"No way that's a couple of days" was my thoughts.
Ugh, haven't been able to sleep because of stomach pains. Not really feeling it, but I think I'll make myself go in to the gym tomorrow anyway.

Snapped a pic of my shoulders and arms the other day, but I can see that I got a long way to go still:
IMG_20130712_172602.jpg

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiosity, do you think it's better to focus on weight levels that you can with the same range of motion--the same speed--as if it were an empty barbell as opposed to weight where you can still complete the motion, but may struggle with it?

Right now I'm definitely using weight that I almost struggle with (may have a bit of trouble with my form in the final few reps of the final set). I'm wondering if I should lower the weight a bit to keep the best form possible, but I also want to make sure I'm stimulating my muscles to be able to grow.

Bar speed should obviously be slower than what one can achieve with an empty bar, but in the early stages of a program like SS you shouldn't be grinding out the reps either. What is your bar position like on squats? Many people think they are doing a low bar squat when they are in fact using a high bar position, which increases the length of the lever arm and thus torque on the back. The form specified in starting strength is for a low bar squat and is unsuitable for high bar. I ask because the advice given sounds like it is for a high bar squat. In any case, you should be focussing on keeping your line of sight neutral and your back straight. A low bar squat is initiated by breaking at the hips and sitting back; the angle of torso tilts forwards as an anatomical necessity. Don't actively lean over or look down, stay tight and stable and as you squat back up the opening of the hips (like a hinge) should return you to your starting position.

Sallokin

Does anyone have a good 5 day workout they'd be willing to link or share their routine? I'm curious which groups people work together. I want to put together my own 5 day in the near future and I want to make sure I give each group adequate rest etc.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bar speed should obviously be slower than what one can achieve with an empty bar, but in the early stages of a program like SS you shouldn't be grinding out the reps either. What is your bar position like on squats? Many people think they are doing a low bar squat when they are in fact using a high bar position, which increases the length of the lever arm and thus torque on the back. The form specified in starting strength is for a low bar squat and is unsuitable for high bar. I ask because the advice given sounds like it is for a high bar squat. In any case, you should be focussing on keeping your line of sight neutral and your back straight. A low bar squat is initiated by breaking at the hips and sitting back; the angle of torso tilts forwards as an anatomical necessity. Don't actively lean over or look down, stay tight and stable and as you squat back up the opening of the hips (like a hinge) should return you to your starting position.

Definitely doing low-bar squats as demonstrated in this video. It's easy to tell when it's in the right position because the bar really doesn't budge no matter how many reps I do, and it's clear it's not being supported by my shoulders or hands at all.

I'll have to record a video soon and try to get some pointers, but I think my form shouldn't be terrible. I'm not sure if I'm getting the hip drive, right, but it feels like I am.

Anyway, should I be feeling a bit of strain in my lower back after a squat session? It's not really painful, but definitely feels like it's been worked.

Does anyone have a good 5 day workout they'd be willing to link or share their routine? I'm curious which groups people work together. I want to put together my own 5 day in the near future and I want to make sure I give each group adequate rest etc.

5 days sounds like a lot.
I guess you could do a 3 day linear progression combined with 2 days of 20 minute HIIT sessions, but you probably would benefit more from resting those 2 days of HIIT and just throwing that on top of your three workout days.

SeanR1221

"No way that's a couple of days" was my thoughts.
Ugh, haven't been able to sleep because of stomach pains. Not really feeling it, but I think I'll make myself go in to the gym tomorrow anyway.

Snapped a pic of my shoulders and arms the other day, but I can see that I got a long way to go still:
IMG_20130712_172602.jpg

You're getting a good base. Keep at it mang.

Definitely doing low-bar squats as demonstrated in this video. It's easy to tell when it's in the right position because the bar really doesn't budge no matter how many reps I do, and it's clear it's not being supported by my shoulders or hands at all.

I'll have to record a video soon and try to get some pointers, but I think my form shouldn't be terrible. I'm not sure if I'm getting the hip drive, right, but it feels like I am.

Anyway, should I be feeling a bit of strain in my lower back after a squat session? It's not really painful, but definitely feels like it's been worked.

If its not pain and just sore I wouldn't worry about it. It happens. For me it would tend to happen with high rep squats.

SeanR1221

You'd benefit from reading the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom