• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yup I get the Kirkland ones from Costco. I usually eat 2. You can't beat 70g of protein at 400 calories and I find them really filling.
What is the sodium on those premade patties?

I usually stay away from patties because of this. If its not high I will add them on my next costco run.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I usually get the huge bag of frozen broccoli, a rotisserie chicken, Tyson microwaveable chicken, the Kirkland frozen salmon, Kirkland frozen chicken tenders, the mixed nuts, chicken of the sea tuna, big bag of raw spinach, frozen raw and cooked shrimp, the kirkland bacon or bacon crumbles, 90 pack of eggs, big tub of cottage cheese and if I need it the Kirkland peanut butter or the microwaveable quino/rice mixture.
Thanks been buying much of the Frozen meats but will def add the rest to the list. I can't find frozen broccoli besides the veggie stir fry I buy. Usually cant finish the fresh spinach and other greens since I either forget I have it or don't know what to do with it besides steaming at least for brocoli.

SeanR1221

What is the sodium on those premade patties?

I usually stay away from patties because of this. If its not high I will add them on my next costco run.

390mg for 1

Thanks been buying much of the Frozen meats but will def add the rest to the list. I can't find frozen broccoli besides the veggie stir fry I buy. Usually cant finish the fresh spinach and other greens since I either forget I have it or don't know what to do with it besides steaming at least for brocoli.

Yeah we can never finish the spinach either since its so massive but luckily it's only like 5.00. I wanna say we can usually get through 3/4 of it. My wife adds it to her whey shakes and you really can't taste it.

MThanded

I cant fuck with frozen vegetables. Fresh broccoli or bust.

Shit is terrible for stir fry. Also broc is a lot better with the crunch.

Skeyser

Take 100g cottage cheese, one and a half scoops of chocolate whey, and one tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter.
Throw them all into a bowl and stir vigourously. Add sweetener to taste.
Throw the bowl in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
Eat.

Frozen chocolate and pb cottage cheese

sounds so bad I want to try it

Matugi

I bike for 18 miles in an hour and 40 minutes today. My only steady state day of the week. I don't trust runkeeper though. It says I burned about 1200 calories. I'll just increase my 2200 to 2500-2700 today.

Yeah, that sounds pretty inaccurate. Rule of thumb on flat terrain is 12mph for an hour burns around 350 calories. I usually prefer to do HIIT on the bike because I feel like it has a more noticeable effect than doing HIIT running does because of the ability to switch gears. I can burn almost 400 calories doing just 6 miles (around 20ish minute) of HIIT cycling.

MThanded

Yeah, that sounds pretty inaccurate. Rule of thumb on flat terrain is 12mph for an hour burns around 350 calories. I usually prefer to do HIIT on the bike because I feel like it has a more noticeable effect than doing HIIT running does because of the ability to switch gears. I can burn almost 400 calories doing just 6 miles (around 20ish minute) of HIIT cycling.
This was on a road bike not in a gym. I ride once a week. It was more for the enjoyment and less for the workout.

Also the calories align with the calculators online for my weight. I don't trust them though.

Matugi

This was on a road bike not in a gym. I ride once a week. It was more for the enjoyment and less for the workout.

Also the calories align with the calculators online for my weight. I don't trust them though.

Yeah I ride a mountain bike out on the local greenway when I do my HIIT.

Petrie

Banned

I hate trying to figure this shit out. lol

Zoe

I bike for 18 miles in an hour and 40 minutes today. My only steady state day of the week. I don't trust runkeeper though. It says I burned about 1200 calories. I'll just increase my 2200 to 2500-2700 today.

I don't know about biking with Runkeeper, but I find that Endomondo is more accurate when it comes to running.

If you really want to know though, get a heart rate monitor.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've just about given up on trying to go just below parallel or get whatever the perfect depth is on a squat. The last couple of sessions, I've dropped the weight and just done ass to grass about as low as I can go. It's definitely helped to activate my glutes and hamstrings.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
141.8 lbs

j0knoLsGVjp8L.jpg

Just need to lose 1.8 more and I'll have done it!

I must also thank the sun for the impeccable lighting.

Noema

Yup I get the Kirkland ones from Costco. I usually eat 2. You can't beat 70g of protein at 400 calories and I find them really filling.

Heh. I buy those exact same patties at Costco too. They're tasty and super cheap. I don't even bother with thawing them before tossing them onto a pan with a ton of butter.

2 of those plus a baked potato with mayonnaise: instant lunch. I also buy the "beef" ones. (It's probably more pork than beef in those things; I don't really care).

Can I get a form check for my squat? Sry about the shaky cam. Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haguo6-g-V8

These squats are super high. Your hips should be breaking lower than your knees. Also, you need to balance the barbell over the middle of your foot.

You need to deload ASAP.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Congrats I suppose, but where them legs at?

Believe it or not, I squat three times a week (and have been for over three months) plus sprint intervals twice a week. I just have comically thin legs. Always have. My calves, despite all the running and biking I do, are basically nonexistent.

How long do you guys typically bulk for? I've been at it for 1.5 months and already gained 5 pounds, and some pretty good strength gains. Started at 160 at 5'11. might go till I hit 180, although I'm thinking that will probably take a year because I'm keeping it pretty clean.

Here's my routine.

Mon, Wed, Fri. If I feel recovered I usually go a 4th time. On off days I do core and hit the heavybag

Squat 5x5
bench 5x5
weighted pull up 5x5
standing OH press 5x5
biceps 3x8
tris 3x8

blackflag

Well looks like I have a new item to but next time I go to costco. Anything else you guys usually buy from Costco?.

Today I got:

1 package Turkey burgers
2 bags of tilapia
1 bag of salmon
20 lbs of chicken breast
6 lbs fresh asparagus
2 4lb bags of frozen broccoli
1 jar maranatha almond butter
1 big ass bag pistachios
1 memory foam pillow

agrajag

Banned
Believe it or not, I squat three times a week (and have been for over three months) plus sprint intervals twice a week. I just have comically thin legs. Always have. My calves, despite all the running and biking I do, are basically nonexistent.

you should try walk around on your tippy toes a lot. I think my calves got a little bigger since I started training them specifically.

One of these days I'm gonna OD on sunflower seeds.

I cant fuck with frozen vegetables. Fresh broccoli or bust.

Shit is terrible for stir fry. Also broc is a lot better with the crunch.

Tis man knows what's up.

Love fresh vegetables and groceries.

These squats are super high. Your hips should be breaking lower than your knees. Also, you need to balance the barbell over the middle of your foot.

You need to deload ASAP.

Really? How can you see that? The video is so dark I can barely see anything. Especially his barbell hold position/grip.

Petrie

Banned
I think I might try to just fast through today after the incredibly shitty weekend I had towards my cut. I ate like shit at ribfest and continued on throug the weekend, and I am bloated as hell. Weighed in at 181 after being under 170 last week. Mostly water obviously, but I want it gone.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
OMG.

If you are fucking with me I will destroy you.

No really. This is way too exciting.

Rochester location has already broken ground.

Here is news about the proposed Syracuse location: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/03/costco_township_5_camillus_cam.html

Nothing official has been announced for Buffalo, but I've heard from friends who work for commercial developers that they are looking really hard for a spot to build one here.

I'm pretty pumped. Sam's Club/BJ's just doesnt cut it for me.

Petrie

Banned
Rochester location has already broken ground.

Here is news about the proposed Syracuse location: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2013/03/costco_township_5_camillus_cam.html

Nothing official has been announced for Buffalo, but I've heard from friends who work for commercial developers that they are looking really hard for a spot to build one here.

I'm pretty pumped. Sam's Club/BJ's just doesnt cut it for me.

I'm in Syracuse these days, so this is wonderful news.

Cudder

You need to deload ASAP.

The way he's bent over like that when he's upright, that's bad too, no? I always try to stand completely upright (as close as I can anyway) with the barbell.

Dash27

The way he's bent over like that when he's upright, that's bad too, no? I always try to stand completely upright (as close as I can anyway) with the barbell.

For high bar you're pretty much straight with a good lumbar curve. Low bar you do have a slight angle but I agree he looked too far forward just standing up. Hard to see though.

To me it seemed as though he was leaning forward. That will bring your heels up as the weight goes to the balls of your feet so you end up stopping well short of good depth. A good thing to do if that happens to you is practice your squat (with just a bar or PVC pipe) right in front of a wall, it will keep you from going too far forward.

SeanR1221

OMG.

If you are fucking with me I will destroy you.

No really. This is way too exciting.

Protip: go for the executive membership. It's 100.00 as opposed to 50.00 but you get 3% back on all your Costco purchases. If you do not get at least 50.00 back in the year, you can ask for the difference basically making the upgrade free.

(._.)

Banned
Carpet gives under your weight. When it comes to lifting heavy weights, you do not want a surface that gives under your feet. This can change your footing and interrupts your balance, which can easily lead to injury.

Having said that, I used to workout on carpet when I had a home setup. I find working out barefoot helps, and try to let your foot settle as much as possible before you begin lifting the weights.

Okay, good idea, thanks. I've started barbell lifting and just something feels odd when doing it on carpet with shoes on. No pain or anything, just feels odd. Only place I can put a bench and there is carpet there.

My "off day/refeed" Sunday

3 Mile run combined with some sprint sets

3 Metrix Protein Plus bars (all throughout the day

2 servings of oatmeal, scoop of vanilla protein and a banana

Greek salad with grilled chicken and anchovies

Salad with 2 cans of anchovies

4 servings lean turkey meat for dinner

1 bag of almonds

2 scoops of peanut butter

2 more servings of oatmeal.

Feel amazing now and had a great lifting/HIIT session at the gym today and don't feel fat or bloated. Love these clean refeed days. Its like recharging my batteries for the week after going in caloric defect 6 days a week

The Lamp

So I'm just starting out, this is sort of the work-out I've been trying. I've been following Starting Strength sort of.

Day 1:
(Assisted) pull-ups
(Assisted) chin-ups
Squats
Lat-pull downs

Day 2:
Ab crunches with those inflatable balls with dumbbell
Back extension (is that what it's called?) where you bend over and pick yourself up while holding a dumbbell
Bench press

Day 3:
Deadlifts
Calf-raises

What should I add or change?

EDIT: realized that there was a workout in the OP I could compare to.

Are there any good exercises recommended to use with kettlebells or free weights for beginners like me that work lots of muscles at once?

I'm a little bit skinny fat. Always been thin but I have a bit of fat on my chest and waist. I have the goal of just being stronger, but I don't think I want to go on an extreme mass gain diet or anything because I don't have the time/money to concentrate on something like that right now, though I do have a mass gain protein powder (TruMass).

I thankfully found a gym that has a machine where you can squat/deadlift/benchpress with a bar that is on a safety system so I don't need a spotter. That was a huge concern of mine actually.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You're not going to find the help you're looking for in here, The Lamp. You'll be told to read the OP and to follow a beginner routine like Starting Strength and, more than likely, that will be the correct answer whether you want to hear it or not.

As a true beginner (like myself), it's better to just do the simple barbell exercises every other day or so. Complicating these with machines and additional exercises just increases your chance of not succeeding.

Start with the barbell exercises. Start with just the bar (no weights on it) if you're afraid of injury. You really shouldn't need a spotter until you really start lifting heavy weights.

Cudder

So I'm just starting out, this is sort of the work-out I've been trying. I've been following Starting Strength sort of.

Day 1:
(Assisted) pull-ups
(Assisted) chin-ups
Squats
Lat-pull downs

Day 2:
Back extension (is that what it's called?) where you bend over and pick yourself up while holding a dumbbell
Bench press

Day 3:
Deadlifts
Calf-raises

Are there any good exercises recommended to use with kettlebells or free weights for beginners like me that work lots of muscles at once?

I'm a little bit skinny fat. Always been thin but I have a bit of fat on my chest and waist. I have the goal of just being stronger, but I don't think I want to go on an extreme mass gain diet or anything because I don't have the time/money to concentrate on something like that right now, though I do have a mass gain protein powder (TruMass).

I thankfully found a gym that has a machine where you can squat/deadlift/benchpress with a bar that is on a safety system so I don't need a spotter. That was a huge concern of mine actually.

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press and Pull ups all use many muscles at once.

That "bar on a safety system" is called a Smith machine, and you should forget it even exists. Especially as a beginner, you should not get into the habit of using a Smith machine. Much more beneficial to do free weights.

Zoe

Day 1:
(Assisted) pull-ups
(Assisted) chin-ups
Squats
Lat-pull downs

Day 2:
Bench press

Day 3:
Deadlifts
Calf-raises

Incoming. Duck and cover.

If you want pull-ups, try the practical programming variation of starting strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom