• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably not a major accomplishment compared to what some of you more experienced fitness guys can do, but I've never been able to do more than 2 pull ups. In fact, the second one has always been a struggle and by the time I squeeze it out and go back down I can't even lift myself another inch for a 3rd pull up.

So I tried this "greasing the groove" strategy where you do as many as you can all throughout the day. I think I did one set of 2 probably 10 times yesterday. Even at the 9th set, nothing was different, and I could barely squeeze out 2, but somehow when I did the 10th set I easily pushed out a 3rd one. Not sure what happened, it was just there.

Woke up this morning and I was back to 2 again, but at least now I feel some hope that maybe I can make 3 a more permanent thing.

For some reason the muscle that feels the most worked when I do pull ups are my forearms. Does this mean I'm doing it wrong? I'm using the near straight grip (hands close together, palms facing away).

The Lamp

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press and Pull ups all use many muscles at once.

That "bar on a safety system" is called a Smith machine, and you should forget it even exists. Especially as a beginner, you should not get into the habit of using a Smith machine. Much more beneficial to do free weights.

I'm just really insecure about using the barbell and free weights right now. I don't have anyone to spot me and I'm trying to work on form.

EDIT: actually I just looked up smith machine and it doesn't look like what I was using. I'll find out what it's called today but it didn't look like anything on google image > smith machine
You're not going to find the help you're looking for in here, The Lamp. You'll be told to read the OP and to follow a beginner routine like Starting Strength and, more than likely, that will be the correct answer whether you want to hear it or not.

As a true beginner (like myself), it's better to just do the simple barbell exercises every other day or so. Complicating these with machines and additional exercises just increases your chance of not succeeding.

Start with the barbell exercises. Start with just the bar (no weights on it) if you're afraid of injury. You really shouldn't need a spotter until you really start lifting heavy weights.

Sounds good. Thanks.

Cudder

I'm just really insecure about using the barbell and free weights right now. I don't have anyone to spot me and I'm trying to work on form.

Which is exactly why you shouldn't use the Smith machine. It does half of the work for you (the balancing of the weight), so you don't develop your muscle (or form) FULLY, like you would with free weights.

You'll get over your insecurities, I promise. I remember the first time I stepped into a gym, the very first thing I did (my dad made me do, actually) was bench press with just a 45lb bar. I felt weak and insecure too with everyone around me lifting way more, but you'll get there eventually. No one expects beginners to put up big weight. Everyone starts from somewhere.

Cudder

OHP coming slowly but surely. It was my 1s week at 120 and I managed 5. Last fall I was stuck at 105 for 4.

Watch your back, cooter ;)

I'm joining the OHP race, officially started them last week and got 2 reps at 135lbs. Maybe I shouldn't have gone up that high when just starting but I was just curious how many I could get. lol

SeanR1221

I'm joining the OHP race, officially started them last week and got 2 reps at 135lbs. Maybe I shouldn't have gone up that high when just starting but I was just curious how many I could get. lol

I haven't put up 135 in a little while, but I find the repetition at lower weights to help. It's like wendler says, if you can rep more at a lower weight than you could before, you're stronger!

sphinx

the piano man
If all the main compounds were bosses in a videogame, OHP would be the final boss. That shit is humbling, sometimes to the point of being embarrasing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If all the main compounds were bosses in a videogame, OHP would be the final boss. That shit is humbling, sometimes to the point of being embarrasing.

Feels amazing when you crank it up 10 lbs past your PR though.

OHP is my favorite and most challenging!

SeanR1221

You can only appreciate strict OHP of you do strict OHP. No knee bending, no elbow flaring, just a straight drive up.

I'd say 99% of the people in my gym do it seated...or seated in the smith :/

Cotsco is indeed the shiznit. Like Sean, I also have the Executive membership and pays off big time. Not to mention that gas is cheaper than anywhere else. I'll get my chicken, fish, veggies, and protein power from there at just incredible prices. I still remember when I took my fiancee there the first time-- she couldn't believe people actually shopped at a warehouse for goods. Since that first time, though, she bugging me to go at least twice a week now to pick up stuff.

To keep my reply somewhat fitness related, I've been upping my road bike training in preparation for a November ride. Doing 32 miles 4-5 nights a week along with my normal gym routine in the morning. When I kicked up the miles I definitely noticed my body becoming fatigued much more quicker than normal and was basically running on fumes for a few days. Accordingly, I've begun to adapt to my diet to add more calories and salt so I'm not completely flaming out after a ride. Also, whoever said that if you want to shred fat just get on a bike is correct. I'm losing fat like crazy (not that I had much to begin with) and I'm gonna have to really focus on maintaining my weight.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: actually I just looked up smith machine and it doesn't look like what I was using. I'll find out what it's called today but it didn't look like anything on google image > smith machine

You really shouldn't use any machine that assists with the exercise as your main method of working out. Chances are you can do most exercises unassisted with an empty bar.

Noema

Plus I get to play it in New Game+++ Legendary+++ difficulty mode since I only have one deltoid. :(

Rochester opening one early 2014. Rumor is Buffalo and Syracuse may be getting some in 2014/2015

You can only appreciate strict OHP of you do strict OHP. No knee bending, no elbow flaring, just a straight drive up.

Ain't this the truth. Almost everyone who does standing press at my gym does some where between a push press and strict press or they don't go to lockout at the top.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Once the water of my last weekend's carb reload flushes and I am a bit more dehydrated I will post some partial frontal nudity for Fit-GAF to give me a verdict of my current fat % and areas I should focus on more

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
141.8 lbs

j0knoLsGVjp8L.jpg

Just need to lose 1.8 more and I'll have done it!

I must also thank the sun for the impeccable lighting.
You're a lean mean fighting machine Boogie! You bulking will be scary.

Szu

I'm the only weirdo that I noticed in at least four different gyms that does the standing OHP.

I feel so alone.

SeanR1221

141.8 lbs

j0knoLsGVjp8L.jpg

Just need to lose 1.8 more and I'll have done it!

I must also thank the sun for the impeccable lighting.

Looking fantastic and you're so close to your goal...what's next for you?

Holy shit

HOLY SHIT

I fucking did it

I bench'd 60 kg for the first time ever

holy fucking shit!

SWEET BABY JESUS!

:-D

Did you scream "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY!!!! WOOOOO!!!!!"

Ain't this the truth. Almost everyone who does standing press at my gym does some where between a push press and strict press or they don't go to lockout at the top.

I'm the only weirdo that I noticed in at least four different gyms that does the standing OHP.

I feel so alone.

It's ok bros. Only a few are even privileged to actually do the OHP.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When I hit a new PR I discovered I usually yell or grumble "ssssstupidddddd" on the last rep. It's usually just me and my brother in the gym though.

OK Let's do this, today is Squat day (but then again, what day isn't?) but also bench and deadlift day. My numbers:

Bodyweight: 194#

Today's workout:
Squat - 300# 3x5
Bench - 175# 3x5
DL - 300# 1x5
Chinups try 3x15 (I suck at these, can only do 6-7)

The rest of my lifts
Press - 130# 3x5
Power Cleans - 150 5x3
Dips - BW+35# 3x15

I am so close to my PR's I can taste them! I'm ready!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I love the overhead press. Keeps me humble knowing that I can only reliably lift 65 - 70 lbs. up and down over my head for multiple reps. Not like I'm even close to lifting heavy in other exercises yet, but I imagine I'm going to be overjoyed the day I can consistently do 100 lbs. and higher OHPs.

sphinx

the piano man
well.... it was bound to happen I guess... today I had my first official accident in the gym,

I went for some 1RM sets on bench... they went all well, then I deloaded, it felt well, my previous 3x5 record, which was intimidating, didn't feel as as hard anymore so doing 1RMs, which I had never tried before, served a purpose...

for whatever reason, I went once more for the 1 RM after doing my work sets (I was actually done...) feeling confident, I had been just done several of them, right?? well, arms got locked and the bench has 3 levels to put back the bar and I always put it back in the 2nd level. For whatever reason, I couldn't lift it enough to put it in at that level and went for the lowest level instead, but one side was already at the 2nd level.......I honestly don't know what acutally happened becuase it was all very fast.

I just know that the plates from one side fell making a big sound, and the bar, I don't know, it ended up somewhere, just not in its place. Everyone turned around and asked if I was o.k,..

nothing happened to me...it was just a silly,..... tiny...... mistake...

and it's so incredibly demoralizing....

I walked away from free weights feeling like the stinkiest pile of shit and I tried to do some accesory but felt awful and decided to let it be, the thoughts about what had happened wouldn't let me focus, not to mention, sadness takes your energy away like nothing else. I just kept thinking " and you think you are sooo cool cause you buy the protein, buy clothes to look fit and you go counting everyone else's failed reps on their squats???... you are a fucking joke, next time count your own reps, if you actually manage to survive to count them, of course"

:'(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You're TOO concerned my man Sphinx.

Shit happens. You dust yourself off and go again. You're attacking yourself far too much for this so let me hold YOU back and say to relax and not be mad at yourself.

Yeah, it feels stupid when shit like that happens. And it fucks the rest of your workout to hell. But pack it up, go home, because nobody's gonna remember that ish but you. Whatever your inside voice is saying about how you're "trying" to get strong is missing something pretty goddamn important - you ARE getting stronger. You ARE a bigger man than you used to be. You're growing, you're succeeding, hell, you're excelling. Chew on that along with some protein brah. You're doing it, you're making this shit come true and this little shit right now? It's just little shit. Be the big shit that we know you are.

PBY

Banned
well.... it was bound to happen I guess... today I had my first official accident in the gym,

I went for some 1RM sets on bench... they went all well, then I deloaded, it felt well, my previous 3x5 record, which was intimidating, didn't feel as as hard anymore so doing 1RMs, which I had never tried before, served a purpose...

for whatever reason, I went once more for the 1 RM after doing my work sets (I was actually done...) feeling confident, I had been just done several of them, right?? well, arms got locked and the bench has 3 levels to put back the bar and I always put it back in the 2nd level. For whatever reason, I couldn't lift it enough to put it in at that level and went for the lowest level instead, but one side was already at the 2nd level.......I honestly don't know what acutally happened becuase it was all very fast.

I just know that the plates from one side fell making a big sound, and the bar, I don't know, it ended up somewhere, just not in its place. Everyone turned around and asked if I was o.k,..

I walked away from free weights feeling like the stinkiest pile of shit and I tried to do some accesory but felt awful and decided to let it be, the thoughts about what had happened wouldn't let me focus, not to mention, sadness takes your energy away like nothing else. I just kept thinking " and you think you are sooo cool cause you buy the protein, buy clothes to look fit and you go counting everyone else's failed reps on their squats???... you are a fucking joke, next time count your own reps, if you actually manage to survive to count them, of course"

The fuck is this.

You're acting like something serious happened. You're not hurt, you just missed a rep. No one in the gym gives a fuck. Like at all.

Just do you man.

Dude. That is just one session. If you beat yourself up over that, you'll never extend to your full potential.

I've had some embaressing moments in gym, and I believe everybody has at least once. So stand up, dust your shoulders and give me a fucking eye of the tiger!

Cooter

Move on Sphinx. Shit happens. At least you weren't injured. My dumb ass dropped a 45lb plate on my big toe once. Maybe that will make you feel slightly better? ;)

sphinx

the piano man

Shit happens. You dust yourself off and go again. You're attacking yourself far too much for this so let me hold YOU back and say to relax and not be mad at yourself.

Yeah, it feels stupid when shit like that happens. And it fucks the rest of your workout to hell. But pack it up, go home, because nobody's gonna remember that ish but you. Whatever your inside voice is saying about how you're "trying" to get strong is missing something pretty goddamn important - you ARE getting stronger. You ARE a bigger man than you used to be. You're growing, you're succeeding, hell, you're excelling. Chew on that along with some protein brah. You're doing it, you're making this shit come true and this little shit right now? It's just little shit. Be the big shit that we know you are.

thanks.

yeah, I think I'll get over it, and it REALLY fucks up the rest of the day....

problem is, It has really shaken my confidence and I don't think I'll try to beat records on my own without a spotter anymore, I guess I'll call the trainer whenever I do chest from now on.

IAll these months still feel very experimental..., some days I feel accomplished and advanced... on others, like today obviously, I feel like I am still the fucking moron that has no idea what he's doing.

yeah, I drank protein anyway,....:p

The fuck is this.

You're acting like something serious happened. You're not hurt, you just missed a rep. No one in the gym gives a fuck. Like at all.

Just do you man.

yes, I know it wasn't serious, it just reminded my I am not experienced enough to make the right choices in the heat of the moment. Yeah, of course no one else gives a fuck, but I do, I don't want weights to "surprise" and fail like that, that's very low.

Cooter

thanks.

yeah, I think I'll get over it, and it REALLY fucks up the rest of the day....

problem is, It has really shaken my confidence and I don't think I'll try to beat records on my own without a spotter anymore, I guess I'll call the trainer whenever I do chest from now on.

IAll these months still feel very experimental..., some days I feel accomplished and advanced... on others, like today obviously, I feel like I am still the fucking moron that has no idea what he's doing.

yeah, I drank protein anyway,....:p
See, something positive came from this! I highly suggest you stick to that and have a spotter for every attempted PR. Obviously you don't need one for all exercises like pull ups and curls but presses definitely. Chin up.

entremet

OK Let's do this, today is Squat day (but then again, what day isn't?) but also bench and deadlift day. My numbers:

Bodyweight: 194#

Today's workout:
Squat - 300# 3x5
Bench - 175# 3x5
DL - 300# 1x5
Chinups try 3x15 (I suck at these, can only do 6-7)

The rest of my lifts
Press - 130# 3x5
Power Cleans - 150 5x3
Dips - BW+35# 3x15

I am so close to my PR's I can taste them! I'm ready!

Oh shit, you're back. I remember you from Fitness GAF thread number 1 lol.

sphinx

the piano man
Dude. That is just one session. If you beat yourself up over that, you'll never extend to your full potential.

I've had some embaressing moments in gym, and I believe everybody has at least once. So stand up, dust your shoulders and give me a fucking eye of the tiger!

yeah, good thing is that when you are down you can't go anywhere else but up.

Move on Sphinx. Shit happens. At least you weren't injured. My dumb ass dropped a 45lb plate on my big toe once. Maybe that will make you feel slightly better? ;)

See, something positive came from this! I highly suggest you stick to that and have a spotter for every attempted PR. Obviously you don't need one for all exercises like pull ups and curls but presses definitely. Chin up.

thanks man.... it's just that I felt like, I was reaching something, a goal, I was doing well beating PRs....I want to think I am a decent athlete in his first year, I have got progress, I have gone up in numbers...but things like these shouldn't be happening,

I should know what I am doing by now....that's the feeling that is hard to get rid of...

not because of ego, but safety, plain and simple.

EDIT: oh and I hope you got you restored your big toe somehow, that must have hurt like hell.

God lord squatting today was just ugh!.. 92,5 kg/205 lbs... I can still feel 'em.

By the end of the last rep my legs were spaghetti. And it felt damn good.

Cooter

thanks man.... it's just that I felt like, I was reaching something, a goal, I was doing well beating PRs....I want to think I am a decent athlete in it's first year, I have got progress, I have gone up in numbers...but things like these shouldn't be happening,

I should know what I am doing by now....that's the feeling that is hard to get rid of...

not because of ego, but safety, plain and simple.

What happened doesn't negate anything you said. Accidents happen. Don't be afraid to keep pushing yourself because if you stop doing that what is really the point of training? When you push sometimes you do so a little too much. Adjust and use it to learn. I think you'll be find after a good nights rest.

SeanR1221

Yeah Sphinx, don't sweat it.

I was once doing a CGBP that moved to far towards my head on the way up, I almost came down on my head and quickly tilted the bar and dumped the weight.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Tried doin 195 lb squat today and got 5x reps felt right like I got low enough. 2nd set tried again got to 4x5 before letting the bar go to the safety bar instead of goin back up. Felt bad , about to deload but happy I did that much. Also helped that guys next to me were doin 185 lb squats but goin nowhere near parallel so I knew ok I'm def goin lower than that lol.

Lol. Your positive encouragement never fails Sunflower. I heart you brah.

Did you scream "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY!!!! WOOOOO!!!!!"

I actually didn't know that was light weight heh. But that makes me feel really good knowing that :)!

thomaser

I went for some 1RM sets on bench...

Heh, to give you some perspective: I failed to get up a 40 kilo benchpress rep years ago, and got pinned. A skinny 16-year old had to help me with it. Now THAT felt pathetic :) Didn't matter back then, and it sure doesn't matter now. It's just a funny memory of a time when I was nowhere near as strong as I am now.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Looking fantastic and you're so close to your goal...what's next for you?

Thanks, man.

Once I hit 140 I'll probably start eating a little over maintenance. By the end of October I would like to add on 30 pounds. I have never weighed close to 170, so that's the goal. I managed to lose nearly 15 pounds in a month and a half, so I'm absolutely confident I can do a clean bulk with as much success. Either way it's exciting to push my body to its limits.

Anybody have any recommendations for a pre-workout? I have some Cellucor C4 Extreme but I don't feel it does much for me. Maybe because I'm not very caffeine sensitive, I don't know. It definitely does *something*, as when I don't take it I start yawning and getting really tired about 30 minutes into my workout, but really that's all it does. Makes me not yawn as much. It doesn't increase my intensity or anything at all, and I don't feel more energized.

I was thinking about trying either Cellucor M5 Extreme or DrivenSports Craze.

Lots of people recommend Jack3d, but apparently they changed their formula and everyone says the new one is garbage.

Petrie

Banned
Anybody have any recommendations for a pre-workout? I have some Cellucor C4 Extreme but I don't feel it does much for me. Maybe because I'm not very caffeine sensitive, I don't know. It definitely does *something*, as when I don't take it I start yawning and getting really tired about 30 minutes into my workout, but really that's all it does. Makes me not yawn as much. It doesn't increase my intensity or anything at all, and I don't feel more energized.

I was thinking about trying either Cellucor M5 Extreme or DrivenSports Craze.

Lots of people recommend Jack3d, but apparently they changed their formula and everyone says the new one is garbage.

Coffee of caffeine pills.

Otherwise waste of money.

Whelp, looks like my competitive running career may be over...the bone bruise I got in march from hurdling has gotten much worse and I need arthroscopic surgery. Sucks, as I'm going into my senior year and if they find out my knee is as bad as they think it is I won't be able to run until spring, which is far too late. I'll also probably lose all the strength gains I fought for this summer. Fuckk

The Lamp

From the OP said:
It would be best to regard it as that and never be afraid to train through soreness--if anything, the blood flow to the muscle will help loosen it and aid in recovery. Just be sure to warm up and stretch out the tightness.

I'm so sore in my hamstrings from the squats I did on Friday night I can't even bend over and have to sit down slowly. I don't even think I can stretch it out to the point of doing a full squat right now, but I could try. Should I just skip squats for today or deal with the pain and keep going? I'm not sure whether it would be a good idea to train through the soreness right now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Try to train through it. I asked the same question like two weeks ago when I was first getting started and I'm glad I followed the advice of "train through it."

steveovig

I need some advice from you guys on something. Yesterday, I used my last supply of pre-workout powder and I want to start going pretty much all natural for a little bit. The problem is that I'm so used to eating a lot, waiting a couple hours, taking the pre-workout stuff, and then lifting. I thought about just switching a pattern of just eating my usual carbs maybe an hour before I lift and then hitting the gym and carrying a drink with some elektrolytes. I am a little worried that I'll feel hungry though while working out. Anyone here got any advice?

Petrie

Banned
I need some advice from you guys on something. Yesterday, I used my last supply of pre-workout powder and I want to start going pretty much all natural for a little bit. The problem is that I'm so used to eating a lot, waiting a couple hours, taking the pre-workout stuff, and then lifting. I thought about just switching a pattern of just eating my usual carbs maybe an hour before I lift and then hitting the gym and carrying a drink with some elektrolytes. I am a little worried that I'll feel hungry though while working out. Anyone here got any advice?

Eat something before you workout so you don't feel hungry.

Or learn to control your appetite. Maybe suppress your appetite with a cup of black coffee before you lift instead.

steveovig

Eat something before you workout so you don't feel hungry.

Or learn to control your appetite. Maybe suppress your appetite with a cup of black coffee before you lift instead.

Could I just eat my big meal before I lift (half hour before or so, no more) or is it better to just eat that earlier and then just get a snack like a banana?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom