• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kawl_USC

Don't worry too much about it. High bar, low bar, as long as you squat heavy, deep and often you are good.

These look like low bar squats with a high bar position. When you do high bar, you don't really sit back, but rather, you squat between your legs, literally. In other words, your butt shouldn't stick out so much. And because the angle of the hip is much shorter, your back should be much more upright as a result in order for the bar path to track over the middle of the foot. This will result in a slackening of the hamstrings, which don't contribute to the movement as much as they do in a low bar squat. Therefore the high bar squat is a much more quad (for knee extension) and glute dominant movement. If you notice in your sets the bar did a bit of an "S" shape as it traveled vertically.

lTAhQ3I.png

Don't worry about your knees going past your toes. It will be a consequence of the angles produced by the high bar position and keeping the bar path over the middle of foot.

Thanks a lot for the input dude. You are really fantastic for taking the time and effort it takes to critique every one who asks. I know I really appreciate it and I'm sure all the others do as well.

And this is pretty much what I figured. I thought I could see the bar being not straight up and down as well as knowing I was emulating what was said in SS but with a higher bar position, I'm not surprised at what you are saying.

So for those changes in back and hip angle should I adjust to a narrower stance? And on Friday I should focus on chest up, ass right underneath me, and knees forward?

And does this mean I don't get to employ hip drahve anymore?? Everything I loved about the squat is a lie :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry one more question. Should I worry about sodium and cholesterol? It says on my fitness app that I already went over my limit for both, but I haven't eaten anything over excessive.

Dietary cholesterol has little actual effect on cholesterol levels in the blood.

I was joking guys.

Damn internet sarcasm.

It would be, but there's travel time to the gym from work and such as well. I typically manage 35-40 minutes tops, so its condensed.

Damn I guess I'm lucky my gym is 10 minutes away, I can walk/jog there to get warmed up :D

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks guys. I'll be updating everyone as I continue.

Good! It's gonna be tough, especially in the beginning, but we've got your back and we're all listening and want to help. :)

Excited for you brah! MUSCLE TEAM

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Just got offered free chocolate from the homemade chocolate shop. Anything I wanted. Needless to say my fast ended about 5 minutes ago. White chocolate covered caramels! That's what I'm talking about! I did restrain somewhat and only eat 1 out of the two I was given. Haha

Ghost23

Good! It's gonna be tough, especially in the beginning, but we've got your back and we're all listening and want to help. :)

Excited for you brah! MUSCLE TEAM

So should I limit myself on fruit and greek yogurt since they are high in sugar? Also, how strict should I be on the sugar I eat. I am not big (140lbs), so I'm not necessarily doing heavy weight loss. Should I try to avoid all of it, or is some ok? I'm obviously new to this. lol

abuC

Just got offered free chocolate from the homemade chocolate shop. Anything I wanted. Needless to say my fast ended about 5 minutes ago. White chocolate covered caramels! That's what I'm talking about! I did restrain somewhat and only eat 1 out of the two I was given. Haha

I need to roll with you, you always get free stuff.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So should I limit myself on fruit and greek yogurt since they are high in sugar? Also, how strict should I be on the sugar I eat. I am not big (140lbs), so I'm not necessarily doing heavy weight loss. Should I try to avoid all of it, or is some ok? I'm obviously new to this. lol

Are you eating your greek yogurt flavored or unflavored? Since you're not TOO concerned about weight loss I'd just get rid of sugar where you can easily get rid of it, lift and see results before tweaking anything too much. Your main issue is going to be getting enough protein and eating enough calories. Pork up brah!

Ghost23

Are you eating your greek yogurt flavored or unflavored? Since you're not TOO concerned about weight loss I'd just get rid of sugar where you can easily get rid of it, lift and see results before tweaking anything too much. Your main issue is going to be getting enough protein and eating enough calories. Pork up brah!

It's Chobani flavored Greek Yogurt. Yea, when I start stuff like this, I get too critical on what I eat and it becomes just completely unenjoyable. My main concerns are the easy fixes like breakfast and snacks, so if I just focus on those and overall just watch myself then I will be fine.

Edit: And man, I don't want to take this off week in P90X. I am starting to feel good, and a week of just yoga and core synergistics with no weights or abs is going to kill. I have done CS before though, and it was quite tough, so maybe it won't be too bad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's Chobani flavored Greek Yogurt. Yea, when I start stuff like this, I get too critical on what I eat and it becomes just completely unenjoyable. My main concerns are the easy fixes like breakfast and snacks, so if I just focus on those and overall just watch myself then I will be fine.

FOOD IS NOT MEANT TO BE ENJOYED YOU MUST EAT TO FEED THE MACHINE THE MACHINE WILL WORK FOOD IS WORK NOT ENJOYMENT DO YOUR JOB AND EAT FOR THE MACHINE

It's the only way I can stay focused. Cut all enjoyment away. Sucks. :/

blackflag

Unsweetened plain GY not the flavored ones.

agrajag

Banned
Shoulder problems. Anything approaching low bar position requires either an obscenely wide grip or brings on significant shoulder discomfort.

Oh, that sucks. In that case, give some heavy good mornings a shot. Not quite a squat, but they give your hammies a really nice stretch with that hip hinge.

The only gym in town with bumper plates is a Crossfit box that doesn't let people train for more than an hour a day.

I really want my bumper plates

ILoveBish

I envy you guys who can be done at the gym in an hour. I go to the gym at midnight and it takes me 3 hours in an empty gym. And I basically have to pull myself away since I want to keep lifting.

Petrie

Banned
I envy you guys who can be done at the gym in an hour. I go to the gym at midnight and it takes me 3 hours in an empty gym. And I basically have to pull myself away since I want to keep lifting.

Sounds like you're doing way too much and likely impeding your gains.

Less is more in this regard.

Really, unless you are roided to the gills or only going 1 day a week, 3 hours in the gym is fucking dumb.

SeanR1221

The only gym in town with bumper plates is a Crossfit box that doesn't let people train for more than an hour a day.

I really want my bumper plates

Two local gyms have bumper plates. A crossfit gym that refused to budge on price (120 a month) and a local gym that told me chalk was banned (lol wut you have bumper plates and a deadlift stage for fucks sake!)

Sounds like you're doing way too much and likely impeding your gains.

Less is more in this regard.

Really, unless you are roided to the gills or only going 1 day a week, 3 hours in the gym is fucking dumb.

Maybe he's admiring all DEM
Gainz in the mirror between sets.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

You really do take that long?

Are you doing shitloads of accessory work or long rests? I wouldn't have time for 3 hours! Efficiency is my biggest priority.

sphinx

the piano man
the most I need at a gym is two hours but there's plenty of dead time in there, warming up slowly, filling my bottle with water, going to the toilet, changing the music on my MP3, waiting for a machine that is being used...

3 hours of pure exercise,.. damn, that's a lot Count. may I ask, what do you do on a normal three hour session?

I could see myself needing an extra hour for all sorts of ab exercises as they have to be high rep and with plenty of variations, but other than that, I can't see an scenario where I'd need that.

EDIT: now, I think I remember Darth saying once he usually needed as much time too, so I am not condemning anyone here.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How long are you lifting? What does this 3 hour session involve?

Did I get a bad batch of quest bars? They all have a cement-like texture and they don't taste that good.
Which ones did u buy? I had something similar happen with the cinnamon roll; tasted like chalk, barely edible. Returned them and exchanged for PB&J and tasted more normal.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Did I get a bad batch of quest bars? They all have a cement-like texture and they don't taste that good.
Are they being stored in the fridge or in a cold place. If so you should take it out of the wrapping and pop it in the microwave or store them in a warmer place.

sphinx

the piano man
my poor gloves, they never stood a chance. I lost them somewhere some weeks ago, I think I subconsciously wanted to get rid of them anyway.

I've been working out with bare hands for like 3 weeks and I don't think I am going back to gloves.

Calluses look nasty but I don't mind. My skin is already rugged enough to take it.

No they don't.

I meant, that's how I like to do them, not that there's a scientifically proven reason why it should be like that.

you are right, it doesn't have do be like that.

SeanR1221

my poor gloves, they never stood a chance. I lost them somewhere some weeks ago, I think I subconsciously wanted to get rid of them anyway.

I've been working out with bare hands for like 3 weeks and I don't think I am going back to gloves.

Calluses look nasty but I don't mind. My skin is already rugged enough to take it.

I have never been more proud.

sphinx

the piano man
I have never been more proud.

yeah but these hands...

pianohands_zpsd648ac35.jpg

are now these hands!!

calluses_zpsfdd831c8.jpg

but so far so good, I think back then it hurt because I was trying chinups on a rusty bar in a park, but the metal and rubber in my gym equipment are o.k as long as my skin is dry.

I mean it's ok in the sense that my grip remains good and bearable, but it does look nasty....

blackflag

which flavor? Brownie is always like that. Gotta microwave it. I did get a bad/old batch of cinnamon roll once and took it back. Hard as rocks and they aren't normally like that. 5

sphinx

the piano man
A friend of mine is concertmaster in an Amsterdam's orchestra. He lifts and has calluses, no excuses.

Menuhin also lifts

yeah, but strings must have calluses, they spend their lives developing calluses on the tips of their fingers, with them they produce a nice round sound. We pianists don't need them, at all, but as I said, so far so good.

I once did have to put a band-aid, it was either cancel the rest of the workout or blood on the gym floor... I gotta be careful.

haha, and about Menuhin, are there pics of him lifting or posing? gotta google that.

Petrie

Banned
I meant, that's how I like to do them, not that there's a scientifically proven reason why it should be like that.

you are right, it doesn't have do be like that.

No, I mean that what you're doing is poor training. Abs aren't special, train them like you would any other muscle.

Squats and Deadlifts hit the abs pretty darned hard. When I cared about ABZZZZ I used to do 3x15 declined crunches with a 45 plate

yeah, but strings must have calluses, they spend their lives developing calluses on the tips of their fingers, with them they produce a nice round sound. We pianists don't need them, at all, but as I said, so far so good.

I once did have to put a band-aid, it was either cancel the rest of the workout or blood on the gym floor... I gotta be careful.

haha, and about Menuhin, are there pics of him lifting or posing? gotta google that.

Err I farted, not menuhin, Vengerov was the one

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Had to buy protein locally tonight when I realized I was going to be out. sighhh...

Nice dudes as ever in the store, but...man I'd rather deal with an online retailer. Why can't I ever find an airheaded cashier who just rings me up and doesn't upsell me on shit? Now I have all this preworkout garbage in my bag too and a new membership..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom