• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

despire

Ok, this looks very much worth looking into. I was going to do research on 5/3/1 once i stopped making gains at the gym on compounds, but it hasnt happened, i keep gaining and pushing heavier weight, so i figured why not just keep going since its working? But yes, i will need to go to a intermediate routine at some point, and i'll look into 5/3/1 to get more details on how it works. Thanks.

I was also thinking that you could check out 5/3/1.

Also google the Bodybuilding template for that.

Detox

I'm doing the routine in the OP. For the arm work I've just been doing barbell curls and dips, is it fine if I add another workout specifically lying tricep extensions or would I be doing too much for a novice?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I cant remember who posted about the cottage cheese with whey protein, and more goodies in it in the freezer earlier, but THANK YOU, freakin delicious low carb snack!

Host Samurai.

Now with 2 people endorsing it, fuck, I gotta get it.

Had a good night at the gym last night. Tried new preworkout bullshit + new protein powder. It was very "dusty" but delicious. So I'm pretty content. Better makeup than the kind I was using previous too.

What an exciting life :p

Szu

Are dumbbell weighted situps to overhead press a thing? Because...

Sounds like a crossfit thing.
6660789957_fb99d5bd34_o.gif

Kawl_USC

Is there any resource out there that is to high bar squats as SS is to low bar? I've tried searching the Internet but haven't really found anything that goes into that much depth and really helps me understand all the body cues and all that. Several places say just do the squat that feels natural to the body but after two months of eating, breathing, and sleeping SS my mind and body are just naturally trying to do low bar.

Petrie

Banned
Great find, looks like their site is getting hit pretty hard though, heh.

FOAM ROLLER STOCK UP

Bumper plates out of stock (on backorder, which probably means that) except for the 35s.

Kettlebells are at a great price too, especially without shipping costs.

Let me fill you in on the skinny:

In about two weeks time, my old folks are going on vacation to Poland. And I would like travel along, but there's a catch...

The problem: I've been researching gyms in the city area (which we'll be staying), and none of them seem to have available power- or squat racks - there is one that may have one but it's pure guesswork. I really want to restrain myself from doing a deload week so early into my progress (1,5~2 months of SS).

The question: Do you guys have any suggestions for exercises and options that can compensate for the lack of free weight equipment - worst case scenario no gym access - that will at least maintain my strength and gains over a 7 days period?

Worst case scenario will probably be me cancelling the trip and continue working out.

Would appreciate any feedback or input from you dudes!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

In about two weeks time, my old folks are going on vacation to Poland. And I would like travel along, but there's a catch...

The problem: I've been researching gyms in the city area (which we'll be staying), and none of them seem to have available power- or squat racks - there is one that may have one but it's pure guesswork. I really want to restrain myself from doing a deload week so early into my progress (1,5~2 months of SS).

The question: Do you guys have any suggestions for exercises and options that can compensate for the lack of free weight equipment - worst case scenario no gym access - that will at least maintain my strength and gains over a 7 days period?

Worst case scenario will probably be me cancelling the trip and continue working out.

It's 7 days. Don't become obsessed with maximizing gains to the point where you cancel a vacation over it. You can take a week off and continue right where you left off or redo one session at the worst. If you must, just do some bodyweight stuff to stay charged up: pushup and squat variations, etc.

despire

It's 7 days. Don't become obsessed with maximizing gains to the point where you cancel a vacation over it. You can take a week off and continue right where you left off or redo one session at the worst. If you must, just do some bodyweight stuff to stay charged up: pushup and squat variations, etc.

Pretty much this. Cancelling a vacation because you can't find a suitable gym for the duration is going little bit too far..

sphinx

the piano man
or just go into a Park and do some "street" workout like pull.ups, dips, push-ups, pistol squats.

don't be a fool and go on vacation,

7 days is excellent for recovery anyway,

SeanR1221

or just go into a Park and do some "street" workout like pull.ups, dips, push-ups, pistol squats.

don't be a fool and go on vacation,

7 days is excellent for recovery anyway,

Yup. Take the time off and enjoy life. You have decades of lifting ahead of you.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Enjoy your week, forget about your massels for a week. You'll be fine, and attack with renewed vigor when you're back - AND have had a vacation!

jimbor

Banned
Started weighted chins last workout, will be doing weighted pull ups tonight. Quick question, I see with SS a lot of people alternate weighted/unweighted pull/chin ups. Is this a necessity or can I do weighted every session?

I was so surprised how much difference 6.5kgs (14.5lbs ish) made, down to three sets of six versus the normal three sets of ten fairly easily.

Do you guys never cut?

Seems a lot of guys are still working on gains even though we're getting closer to winter each month

My ideal schedule for this year:

October-February: Bulk
March -May: Cut
June - September : Maintenance

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Do you guys never cut?

Seems a lot of guys are still working on gains even though we're getting closer to winter each month

still cutting. It's hell brah, I missed my 3 month bulk when I could eat glorious taco bell

SeanR1221

Do you guys never cut?

Off the top of my head, Petrie, falling edge (just finished his), sunflower, oogie boogie (just finished his) and myself. Still possible to make some gainz when cutting.

MTP is forever bulk though.

Coming into my second month of my Dave Tate's Periodization Bible routine, and looking to spice it up a bit based on some parts of my bodies growing so much faster than others:

(All supplementals are 5x10-15)
(Compounds are 5/3/1 - 3 warmup sets, 3 sets of varying reps)

Monday - OHP
DB Incline
Tricep pushdowns
Bicep curls
Pull-ups

Wednesday - Deadlift
Glute-ham raise
Weighted AB crunch
Hanging leg raise
Side plank

Friday - Bench Press
DB decline
Bent over BB rows
Bicep curls
Chin-up

Squatday
Leg press
Glute-ham raise
BB lunges
Oblique cable

I might be ovedoing it with the supplementals, so do feel free to critique it.

Szu

I'll share some personal experience. I've traveled quite a bit in the past year. On some of the trips, I stayed at different lodgings. Each one had a different "gym". One hotel had the works (squat rack, benches, barbells, etc.) Another one had a busted treadmill, single flat bench and an uneven set of DBs. For the most part, when I did work out, I improvised most of my routines.

At the same time, I was on vacation, I didn't worry about the food or working out. I just enjoyed the time I was there.

Szu

Off the top of my head, Petrie, falling edge (just finished his), sunflower, oogie boogie (just finished his) and myself. Still possible to make some gainz when cutting.

MTP is forever bulk though.

I think I finished my cut after I gained 4 lbs after Chicago, then I cut the 4 lbs out by the end of the week.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
im kind of getting to the point where I don't know what to do anymore :(

this cut is the hardest I've ever been on, cant seem to go anywhere with it and im busting my ass out there

That's when you've got to double up your resolve. That's the hump man.

Get strength from what you're doing. You're stronger than others who have no impulse control. Your suffering MAKES you stronger. Eat good shit? You don't NEED that crap. You're a machine. A MACHINE!

Did that help at all? It's seriously my mentality when I cut, which feels like forever.

aight. AIGHT.

Finish up fat ass week this week. So much food consumed. So much fat gained. I love it.

Next week, get back into the gym.

The week after, test my 1RM.

August 5, start a new routine focused on size. LET'S GO BABYYYYYYYYYYYY

andycapps

I always intend on working out when I'm on vacation, then I get there and I'm like, fuck that, this is vacation. I usually do some pushups and try to walk some of the crap off that I'm eating though. Though when I went to the beach a month ago, I didn't gain anything. I was able to eat relatively healthy while still eating tons of great food.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
aight. AIGHT.

Finish up fat ass week this week. So much food consumed. So much fat gained. I love it.

Next week, get back into the gym.

The week after, test my 1RM.

August 5, start a new routine focused on size. LET'S GO BABYYYYYYYYYYYY

Why wait? Start tomorrow brah

SeanR1221

Coming into my second month of my Dave Tate's Periodization Bible routine, and looking to spice it up a bit based on some parts of my bodies growing so much faster than others:

(All supplementals are 5x10-15)
(Compounds are 5/3/1 - 3 warmup sets, 3 sets of varying reps)

Monday - OHP
DB Incline
Tricep pushdowns
Bicep curls
Pull-ups

Wednesday - Deadlift
Glute-ham raise
Weighted AB crunch
Hanging leg raise
Side plank

Friday - Bench Press
DB decline
Bent over BB rows
Bicep curls
Chin-up

Squatday
Leg press
Glute-ham raise
BB lunges
Oblique cable

I might be ovedoing it with the supplementals, so do feel free to critique it.

Maybe add in good mornings and Romanian deadlifts but you'd have to take a couple things out. I think overall it looks fine. Oh I'd add dips too.

If we're doing this, here's mine I'd like some input on. Remember, I can't do anything that agrivates my lower back :(

OHP 5/3/1
Chin ups
Standing DB press
Side raises
Machine preacher curl
Barbell curl

"Back day"
Cable rows
One arm DB rows or upright rows
Lat pull down
Shrugs

Bench 5/3/1
Dips 5 sets
Flys or incline
Rope push down
Face pulls

Alternate "leg" day
Pull ups 5 sets
Leg extension
Standing zottman curls
Skull crusher.
Incline curl
Overhead rope extension

Farmers walks 3x a week

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn Big 100! That's too much junk in it for me. I bet that's why they're so delish.

Petrie

Banned
I want those too. Why I can't get any :(

IF combined with cheat days when I need them definitely brings fantastic results.

The scale has dropped pretty slow at this point, but the strength gains keep coming. 5/3/1 has had new PRs constantly while on my cut. I can't wait to bulk and really watch the numbers skyrocket.,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom