• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Way to go Sunflower! Nice job exposing idiots by starting your thread.

I figured we need another fit-gaf thread. :)

Seriously, needing some Swole Acceptance up in there. Some real shitbirds.

Bread

Banned
Which ones did u buy? I had something similar happen with the cinnamon roll; tasted like chalk, barely edible. Returned them and exchanged for PB&J and tasted more normal.
I got mixed berry, apple pie, and cookie dough.

Mixed berry is nearly inedible, and apple pie and cookie dough are a little bit better.

I tried microwaving the latter 2, and while it did improve the product, it was a race against time to eat them. They became an even worse cement after cooling from the microwave. I can't eat them that fast!

Petrie

Banned

Mixed berry is nearly inedible, and apple pie and cookie dough are a little bit better.

I tried microwaving the latter 2, and while it did improve the product, it was a race against time to eat them. They became an even worse cement after cooling from the microwave. I can't eat them that fast!

Sounds to me like they either weren't stored correctly, or you're too used to the sugary mess that is most bars.

Berry is terrible though.

Noema

lol, Menuhin died in 1999 and looked like a bag of bones all his life, lol, I was sure it was a mistake.

yeah Vengerov is well built, a nice guy.

Did Menuhin

violinist-yehudi-menuhin-and-yogi-vithaldas-doing-simhasana.jpg

even lift?

Bread

Banned
Sounds to me like they either weren't stored correctly, or you're too used to the sugary mess that is most bars.

Berry is terrible though.
they've been stored in a kitchen cabinet since i bought them from GNC, and i'm in san diego so i really doubt that the weather is giving them any trouble.

but yea berry is pretty gross lol, i'll eat it because i'm too lazy to do anything else for a snack, but i definitely regret buying a pack of them.

Mix

About a week ago, I decided to start treating myself better by eating right and doing light exercises until I decide to go to a gym. I started yesterday at the gym, and did my second day today and I am amazed to say after weighing myself and weighing myself again to make sure, that I've already lost 8 pounds in a little more than a week.

Thanks FitnessGAF!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
About a week ago, I decided to start treating myself better by eating right and doing light exercises until I decide to go to a gym. I started yesterday at the gym, and did my second day today and I am amazed to say after weighing myself and weighing myself again to make sure, that I've already lost 8 pounds in a little more than a week.

Thanks FitnessGAF!

Water weight my brother! The journey of a lifetime (in a good way) begins with a single step! Now is the hardest time to make sure you keep your rest days scheduled and your work days working!

Keep us updated! Don't burn out too quickly, pace yourself, because you should only move up!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well fuck, seems like I have messed up low carb with excess protein. I have had some 200-250g protein each day for a month and a half, strict 30-40g carbs, 2000kcal and wondering about how easy it is, not feeling any of the carb depletion and loving it. But weight is not going down much either. Progress pics looking near identical.

Doing some research and listening to Kiefer's latest video I learn that body will quite effectively convert protein to blood sugar. So all the time I have been 'low carbing' I have in fact been shooting just more sugar to my blood stream.

Now I have to figure out an effective protein level for my metabolism. Kiefer suggests going as low as 30g protein for fat loss purposes but I think that's a bit crazy. I'm thinking trying 130g first. This means that I must up my fat to stay at 2000kcal since carbs are out of the question too.

Any ideas for fat sources that have no/lo carbs and not very much protein?

Ghost23

Well fuck, seems like I have messed up low carb with excess protein. I have had some 200-250g protein each day for a month and a half, strict 30-40g carbs, 2000kcal and wondering about how easy it is, not feeling any of the carb depletion and loving it. But weight is not going down much either. Progress pics looking near identical.

Doing some research and listening to Kiefer's latest video I learn that body will quite effectively convert protein to blood sugar. So all the time I have been 'low carbing' I have in fact been shooting just more sugar to my blood stream.

Now I have to figure out an effective protein level for my metabolism. Kiefer suggests going as low as 30g protein for fat loss purposes but I think that's a bit crazy. I'm thinking trying 130g first. This means that I must up my fat to stay at 2000kcal since carbs are out of the question too.

Nuts aren't too high in protein and have tons of fat.

edit: Supposedly I had 250g of protein today. Ugh

Petrie

Banned
they've been stored in a kitchen cabinet since i bought them from GNC, and i'm in san diego so i really doubt that the weather is giving them any trouble.

but yea berry is pretty gross lol, i'll eat it because i'm too lazy to do anything else for a snack, but i definitely regret buying a pack of them.

oh no, im GNC fucked up during storage/transport.

Ghost23

I only weight 140lbs, and I already had 250g of protein today (according to my app). Is this a problem? I really don't know how it skyrocketed all of the sudden. I had three chicken breast for dinner, but it didn't seem like too much.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Reading the entire 600+ page ACSM textbook today. Some fun snippets.

-"Among overweight/obese adults who successfully lose 10% of their initial body weight, 33.5% will regain their weight within the first year. Within 5 years, approximately 95% of people regain their weight just below baseline."

Unfortunately the nutrition section of the textbook is based on outdated FDA guidelines from the Ancel Keys era and desperately needs rewriting. Eat as many carbs as possible, drink mainstream sports drinks when you work out because electrolytes. Don't take any protein supplements though because excess protein beyond 180g/day might not be utilized for anabolic processes and instead be converted to body fat. ??????????? Go ahead and chug sugar water and slather jelly on your white bread, though! Nothing could possibly go wrong!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally noticing some upper body strength changes. Starting to see some visual differences in my traps (some nice little bumps), shoulders, and biceps/triceps. Was able to do 70 lb. working sets with the overhead press today without too much trouble, which is a big improvement considering I was stuck at 60 lbs. for a while.

Also finally managed to hit 10 reps on wide arm pull-ups (is this the right name for the image below?)

wide-grip-pull-up.jpg

Still hovering around 140 -- 150 lbs. for deadlifts and just 110 lbs. for really deep squats. Kind of disappointed in my squat progress, but I reset the weight because I wanted to make sure I was going deep.

Wynnebeck

Banned

-"Among overweight/obese adults who successfully lose 10% of their initial body weight, 33.5% will regain their weight within the first year. Within 5 years, approximately 95% of people regain their weight just below baseline."

Unfortunately the nutrition section of the textbook is based on outdated FDA guidelines from the Ancel Keys era and desperately needs rewriting. Eat as many carbs as possible, drink mainstream sports drinks when you work out because electrolytes. Don't take any protein supplements though because excess protein beyond 180g/day might not be utilized for anabolic processes and instead be converted to body fat. ??????????? Go ahead and chug sugar water and slather jelly on your white bread, though! Nothing could possibly go wrong!

Ok, I spit out my water when I read that.

Carbonox

Currently on a cut - that feel when the ab separation starts to show (albeit slightly but you can tell they're alive and kicking at least)...

Exciting feels. Looking forward to the weigh-in at the end of the month too. Was 200lbs at the end of June.

The Lamp

Hahahaha

Personally I cannot resist the PB&J sandwich. It is just too good. But I compromise by getting the only jelly I can find at my store that has no HFCS or corn anything in the ingredients list, but it's a jam/preserves thing. Obviously still has sugar and carbs but not like the fructose sludge that is your typical Welch's stuff from the store.

ILoveBish

Sounds like you're doing way too much and likely impeding your gains.

Less is more in this regard.

Really, unless you are roided to the gills or only going 1 day a week, 3 hours in the gym is fucking dumb.

Im going to list what i do below, i dont think i am doing too much, and even on my cut i have tons of strength for the gym. No roids or PEDs of any kind. Ive been on a SS style routine for 6+ months now, and before that i did 6 months of bro-science ISO training (back day, chest day, etc).

Maybe he's admiring all DEM
Gainz in the mirror between sets.

Wait, you guys dont do any mirin'? I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THIS.

You really do take that long?

Are you doing shitloads of accessory work or long rests? I wouldn't have time for 3 hours! Efficiency is my biggest priority.

I would love to cut it shorter, but i do LOTS of accessory work every single time i hit the gym ontop of my compounds. I'll list is all below, maybe i am doing too much, but i just love doing accessory super sets.

the most I need at a gym is two hours but there's plenty of dead time in there, warming up slowly, filling my bottle with water, going to the toilet, changing the music on my MP3, waiting for a machine that is being used...

3 hours of pure exercise,.. damn, that's a lot Count. may I ask, what do you do on a normal three hour session?

I could see myself needing an extra hour for all sorts of ab exercises as they have to be high rep and with plenty of variations, but other than that, I can't see an scenario where I'd need that.

EDIT: now, I think I remember Darth saying once he usually needed as much time too, so I am not condemning anyone here.

How long are you lifting? What does this 3 hour session involve?

Ok, here is what i do at the gym broken down from start to finish:

3 days a week, Compound A day, Body Part Day, Compounds B Day (weight i am doing next week included), also keep in mind i do warm up sets on every single Compound exercise, at least 3 of them, before i hit my target weight for 3 sets. The compounds take a damn long time. I also give myself plenty of rest between sets, 2-3 minutes usually depending on how tough it was. There are also several regulars i talk to at the gym who need spots, asking diet/form questions and general chit chat. That can take anywhere from 15-30 min of my time at the gym.

Everyday gym warm up superset (all back to back)
:
Shoulder Dislocations 3x20
Foam Roller 3x1 min
Pull Ups 2x5
Chin Ups 2x5

Monday:

Squats 3x5 330lbs
Bench Press 3x5 220lbs
Pendalay Row 3x5 220lbs

Accessories Superset 1 (all back to back)

Dumbbell shrugs - 115lb 3x10
Dumbbell hammers - 40lb 3x8
Butterfly chest machine - 25lb plate + stack 3x10
Kroc rows - 40lb 3x10

Accessories Superset 2 (all back to back)
Sitting calve raise - 45lb platex3 + 25lb plate 2x50
Forearm machine - 7 (dunno how much weight it is, its plenty)

Wednesday (This is my particular body part day, right now my Triceps are super weak, so hitting them hard):

Superset 1:
Skull crushers - 80lb barbell 3x10
Cgbp - 80lb barbell 3x10

Superset 2
Behind head dumbbell - 50lb 3x10
Tricep sideways extension - 30lb 3x10

Superset 3
Handlebar tricep pull down 65lb 3x10
French curl tricep machine 60lb 3x10
Dip Machine - 120lb 3x10

Superset 4
Rope tricep pulldown 70lb 3x10
Rope tricep behind head pulls 70lb 3x10

Accessories (I realize as i am typing this out, i am doing a ton of stuff, damn):

Superset 1

Bicep preacher curl - 65lbs 3x10
Lat pulldown - 110lbs 3x10
Trap machine - 120lbs 3x10
Dumbbell incline press - 40lbs 3x10

Superset 2

Standing calves - 240lbs 2x50
Forearms - 7 2x10

Friday:

Squats 335lbs 3x5
Overhead Press 160lbs 3x5
Deadlift 335lbs 1x5

Accessories:

Superset 1

Dumbbell shrugs - 115lb 3x10
Dumbbell hammers - 40lb 3x8
Butterfly chest machine - 25lb plate + stack 3x10
Kroc rows - 40lb 3x10

Accessories Superset 2

Sitting calve raise - 45lb platex3 + 25lb plate 2x50
Forearm machine - 7 (dunno how much weight it is, its plenty)

Looking at it in a big list, it looks ridiculous, but it goes by fast and i usually have energy to do more but stop myself to get home and eat tons of protein. I am ready for you guys to ridicule me, go ahead, gimme everything you got. Any advice is appreciated. I like giving myself a day off after every day i go because body needs the rest obviously.

Kiefer is basically telling you to do a Ketosis diet, but modified a bit to his preference. When he does carb loading, he does it for a 8 hour window, but according to all Keto research, you cant even get a real insulin spike till at least 24 hours of carbs. Most people do 36 hour carb refeeds. I suggest doing some research on SKD and CKD, SKD is Standard keto with no carb loading, CKD is cycled ketosis with carb loading. Most people who do keto and train do CKD, but i just recently went SKD and still have all the same energy as usual. I've read Carb Nite several times, and the more research i do, the more im inclined to just follow a Keto routine, which has a TON more info available to gleen from.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Wow. We've come a long way even in just the past ten years. Why hasn't the textbooks kept up?

SeanR1221

Finally noticing some upper body strength changes. Starting to see some visual differences in my traps (some nice little bumps), shoulders, and biceps/triceps. Was able to do 70 lb. working sets with the overhead press today without too much trouble, which is a big improvement considering I was stuck at 60 lbs. for a while.

Also finally managed to hit 10 reps on wide arm pull-ups (is this the right name for the image below?)

wide-grip-pull-up.jpg

Still hovering around 140 -- 150 lbs. for deadlifts and just 110 lbs. for really deep squats. Kind of disappointed in my squat progress, but I reset the weight because I wanted to make sure I was going deep.

Don't let the squat progress get you down. You just got on the gain train, no plateus in sight

ILoveBish

CountChocula, what's your height/weight/etc?

Sounds like you're just a genetic freak to me, I dunno.

5'11, 284lbs last i checked (havent weight myself in almost 2 weeks, on keto diet, was 337lbs when i started working out 15 months ago). 35 years old. I feel like i might be genetically blessed but im not sure. My fat belly really kills me, the rest of my body looks fantastic but its the belly fat that just refuses to go away, slowest of my entire body.

p.s. - got my username changed lol, i made this account a long time ago, and ive been using this nick on the gaf channel and prefer it.

Petrie

Banned
5'11, 284lbs last i checked (havent weight myself in almost 2 weeks, on keto diet, was 337lbs when i started working out 15 months ago). 35 years old. I feel like i might be genetically blessed but im not sure. My fat belly really kills me, the rest of my body looks fantastic but its the belly fat that just refuses to go away, slowest of my entire body.

p.s. - got my username changed lol, i made this account a long time ago, and ive been using this nick on the gaf channel and prefer it.

I'm just going to say that you aren't doing yourself any favors overworking so much, lessr is always more in the gym. That's just an unnecesary amount of accessory work for anyone really.

Petrie

Banned
So what should be changed? Just telling me its too much doesn't help me learn anything.

You said you're doing a SS style program, but you aren't, because SS specifically calls for a focus on the big lifts, which you can't do with all that accessory work.

I wouldn't change things, I'd abandon the entire routine for a reputable program.

ILoveBish

You said you're doing a SS style program, but you aren't, because SS specifically calls for a focus on the big lifts, which you can't do with all that accessory work.

I wouldn't change things, I'd abandon the entire routine for a reputable program.

I do my compounds lift first, and the accessories after, how are they not the focus when they're the first thing i do on my compound days and are my main lifts?

blackflag

Mixed berry should never be bought.

If you are gonna microwave them like 12 seconds.....you can't eat them that fast? Bro it's like 3 bites.

Some people just don't like them though.

Petrie

Banned
I do my compounds lift first, and the accessories after, how are they not the focus when they're the first thing i do on my compound days and are my main lifts?

If I tell you I run a mile, then go bike 26 miles after, would you say my focus is running?

We've had this discussion too many times before with people, the OP goes into it, we've said it over and over, less is more. 3 hours in the gym for someone with your level of experience is silly and counter-productive. Even for someone with years of experience its too much.

Your routine is poorly designed.

Ilovebish, took a look at your routine, and it looks like there's way too many accessory lifts in it.

Stuff like forearm and (imo, but my traps grow quickly) shrugs aren't neccessery if you do heavy OHP/military stand. Even if you're blazing through them quickly, you could spend that time on heavier lifts that will work those minor muscles just as well in the process.

Noema

So what should be changed? Just telling me its too much doesn't help me learn anything.

I think you are ready for 5/3/1 my friend. This will allow you keep your focus on the compounds, but you'll be doing just one main compound a day spread over 4 days and then the rest of the workout is devoted to assistance / hypertrophy. Much better for recovery.

Here's a sample 531 program that I just pulled out of my ass, but should give you an idea of what you can do. 531 is very modular in that, as long as you do your 531 compound with the proper programming, you can pretty much do whatever according to your needs for the rest of the workout.

Monday

Squats 531
Romanian Deadlifts
Seated Calf Raises
Curls or whatever

Tuesday

Bench 531
Incline Bench
Skull crushers
Behind head dumbbell
Tricep sideways extension

Thursday

Deadlift 531
Squats or Front Squats
Chinups and arm work

Friday

OHP 531
CGBP
LTEs
Arm work, etc.

This will greatly aid your recovery, keeps the focus on strength and the big four but it also allows you to add a bunch of stuff for hypertrophy.

ILoveBish

I cant remember who posted about the cottage cheese with whey protein, and more goodies in it in the freezer earlier, but THANK YOU, freakin delicious low carb snack!

If I tell you I run a mile, then go bike 26 miles after, would you say my focus is running?

We've had this discussion too many times before with people, the OP goes into it, we've said it over and over, less is more. 3 hours in the gym for someone with your level of experience is silly and counter-productive. Even for someone with years of experience its too much.

Your routine is poorly designed.

Ok, i can understand that i am likely over working myself. It just doesnt seem like i am personally because im still making gains everytime i hit the gym on my compounds and i have lots of energy to lift more and more. Its addicting, as im sure most people here know.

Ilovebish, took a look at your routine, and it looks like there's way too many accessory lifts in it.

Stuff like forearm and (imo, but my traps grow quickly) shrugs aren't neccessery if you do heavy OHP/military stand. Even if you're blazing through them quickly, you could spend that time on heavier lifts that will work those minor muscles just as well in the process.

See, i see your point here 100%, but even with all this work im doing at the gym, im STILL making gains on my compounds. And the forearm machine has helped me quite a bit on other lifts, my forearms were super tiny and from that machine they've gotten much bigger and help me on dumbbell routines. Ive had certain body parts not develop anywhere near as well as others, like forearms, chest, triceps, which is why i pay special attention to them, to make my compound lifts even stronger. Am i making sense?

I think you are ready for 5/3/1 my friend. This will allow you keep your focus on the compounds, but you'll be doing just one main compound a day spread over 4 days and then the rest of the workout is devoted to assistance / hypertrophy. Much better for recovery.

Here's a sample 531 program that I just pulled out of my ass, but should give you an idea of what you can do. 531 is very modular in that, as long as you do your 531 compound with the proper programming, you can pretty much do whatever according to your needs for the rest of the workout.

Monday

Squats 531
Romanian Deadlifts
Seated Calf Raises
Curls or whatever

Tuesday

Bench 531
Incline Bench
Skull crushers
Behind head dumbbell
Tricep sideways extension

Thursday

Deadlift 531
Squats or Front Squats
Chinups and arm work

Friday

OHP 531
CGBP
LTEs
Arm work, etc.

This will greatly aid your recovery, keeps the focus on strength and the big four but it also allows you to add a bunch of stuff for hypertrophy.

Ok, this looks very much worth looking into. I was going to do research on 5/3/1 once i stopped making gains at the gym on compounds, but it hasnt happened, i keep gaining and pushing heavier weight, so i figured why not just keep going since its working? But yes, i will need to go to a intermediate routine at some point, and i'll look into 5/3/1 to get more details on how it works. Thanks.

wtf CountChocula, lmao.

wat lol

abuC

I can't do close grip bench press because of my bitch ass wrist, so I did reverse grip bench tonight and damn you can move a serious amount of weight like that. It's really awkward so I did it in the smith machine (yeah yeah) and it seems like a good substitute for CGBP for those with little girly wrists that don't want to heal.

Noema

See, i see your point here 100%, but even with all this work im doing at the gym, im STILL making gains on my compounds. And the forearm machine has helped me quite a bit on other lifts, my forearms were super tiny and from that machine they've gotten much bigger and help me on dumbbell routines. Ive had certain body parts not develop anywhere near as well as others, like forearms, chest, triceps, which is why i pay special attention to them, to make my compound lifts even stronger. Am i making sense?

At the end of the day, if you are still making gains on your compounds, it doesn't really matter if you do 1000x calf raises at the end. Just keep pushing forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom