• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

IF combined with cheat days when I need them definitely brings fantastic results.

The scale has dropped pretty slow at this point, but the strength gains keep coming. 5/3/1 has had new PRs constantly while on my cut. I can't wait to bulk and really watch the numbers skyrocket.,

Man I wish I could make IF work but my schedule is way too sporadic. I never have that "set working time" and it can change week to week. If I had a normal 9-5 m-f it would be different.

It's heavy squat back to back with deadlift day. Starting Strength is scary motherfucker once you get close to your limits. Today's lifts are:

The main ones:
Squat 310# 3x5 (scared)
Bench 180# 3x5
Deadlift 315# 1x5

And since it's friday, some reward arm work:
Barbell Curls
Something else? I really don't know any arm work beyond barbell curls

I am scared of how toast I will be after a Squat, Bench and Deadlift PR
mai-scared.jpg

IF Question guys.

Ive been hitting macros for cutting but without IF. So 180g Protein/320g of Carbs/~100g of Fats daily (Im 175lb). But i wanna switch to IF.

Now im used to having 4 meals and these meet my macros for IF too. Would it be possible to have 4 meals within the fasting window? Most guides just say 3 meals.

I was aiming for time time window:

12 - Workout
1 - Post workout meal
4 - Meal
9 - Meal

Can i fit a meal in between somewhere? Or will it be detrimental having another meal?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kiefer is basically telling you to do a Ketosis diet, but modified a bit to his preference. When he does carb loading, he does it for a 8 hour window, but according to all Keto research, you cant even get a real insulin spike till at least 24 hours of carbs. Most people do 36 hour carb refeeds. I suggest doing some research on SKD and CKD, SKD is Standard keto with no carb loading, CKD is cycled ketosis with carb loading. Most people who do keto and train do CKD, but i just recently went SKD and still have all the same energy as usual. I've read Carb Nite several times, and the more research i do, the more im inclined to just follow a Keto routine, which has a TON more info available to gleen from.

Would you mind sharing some links about this (Google is failing me)? I don't know what you mean by "real insulin speak," but if this were true, that would pretty much rmean Kiefer's Carb Nite book is a bunch of nonsense (and Carb Backloading, too, to an extent). It also would mean that people have to be extremely careful when coming out of ketosis lest they encounter a situation where they have a prolonged period of very high blood sugar.

Petrie

Banned
Man I wish I could make IF work but my schedule is way too sporadic. I never have that "set working time" and it can change week to week. If I had a normal 9-5 m-f it would be different.

My 9-5 conbined with being diabetic makes it hard, and some days it just doesn't work, but I look at it as a philosophy vs. a strict thing.

I'm fine with slow results though.

Goddamn Big 100! That's too much junk in it for me. I bet that's why they're so delish.

to be fair they are meal replacement bars.

The calories range from 300-400 and have about 10g of fat, 25-30g of carbs and 30g of protein. Not too sure on the sugar but I don't think they are as high as a Snickers bar or anything. Im thinking from 8-12 g of sugar. Depending of flavor of course

A healthier alternative is the Metrix Protein Plus bars, its a bit less dense than the Big 100's but still tasty as fuark

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I posted this in SF's thread but I was 179 this morning. Crazy. It makes getting 190 up 4 times on OHP last night feel better. I will say that!

Petrie

Banned
to be fair they are meal replacement bars.

The calories range from 300-400 and have about 10g of fat, 25-30g of carbs and 30g of protein. Not too sure on the sugar but I don't think they are as high as a Snickers bar or anything. Im thinking from 8-12 g of sugar. Depending of flavor of course

A healthier alternative is the Metrix Protein Plus bars, its a bit less dense than the Big 100's but still tasty as fuark

Coloss-Cook-Label.png

kind_label20090609.jpg

BIG 100 has more than double the sugar of a Snickers.

Do you guys never cut?

Seems a lot of guys are still working on gains even though we're getting closer to winter each month

My ideal schedule for this year:

October-February: Bulk
March -May: Cut
June - September : Maintenance

My general upcoming schedule is:

Now-November-- maintenance
November-April-- Bulk
April--September--Cut, then maintenance.

Getting Married in September so I need to be swole, yet lean.

Coloss-Cook-Label.png

kind_label20090609.jpg

BIG 100 has more than double the sugar of a Snickers.

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Calories - 370
Total Fat - 6 Grams
Carbs - 50 Grams
Sugars - 25 grams
Protein - 28

Not the worst. Decent on a refeed day.

The Protein Plus bars are good too and less dense

Protein Plus Protein Bar Mud Pie Fusion (Met-Rx)
Serving Size: 1 bar, Calories: 300, Fat: 9g, Carbs: 32g, Protein: 32g

Like I said, they taste good and perfect on cheat day giving you some extra protein and carbs for energy on your next lifting day

Noema

It's heavy squat back to back with deadlift day. Starting Strength is scary motherfucker once you get close to your limits. Today's lifts are:

The main ones:
Squat 310# 3x5 (scared)
Bench 180# 3x5
Deadlift 315# 1x5

And since it's friday, some reward arm work:
Barbell Curls
Something else? I really don't know any arm work beyond barbell curls

I am scared of how toast I will be after a Squat, Bench and Deadlift PR
mai-scared.jpg

Do reverse grip Zollman curlz brah. Get a pump, feel like coming.

I'm convinced that other than stuff like a Base Smolov's Mesocycle, there are few things as hard, scary and mentally taxing than the advance novice stages of SS. You are doing your 5RM on every compound lift every training session.

At any rate, those are great numbers and it's awesome to see you push yourself like this. Kudos my friend. Please let us know how the session went!

And speaking of hard, today I almost passed out after chin-ups. I did 13, 13, 13, 12, 12 and the last couple of sets were a true grind. I was seeing stars afterwards. Last week I did 13, 13, 12, 12, 12 and it was reasonably hard but nothing like this. I blame it on the change of scenery (new gym) and the fact that I didn't eat my mandatory bananas during OHP beforehand.

Petrie

Banned
The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Calories - 370
Total Fat - 6 Grams
Carbs - 50 Grams
Sugars - 25 grams
Protein - 28

Not the worst. Decent on a refeed day.

The Protein Plus bars are good too and less dense

Protein Plus Protein Bar Mud Pie Fusion (Met-Rx)
Serving Size: 1 bar, Calories: 300, Fat: 9g, Carbs: 32g, Protein: 32g

Like I said, they taste good and perfect on cheat day giving you some extra protein and carbs for energy on your next lifting day

Why the fuck would I eat a protein bar on a cheat day when I could have something way more delicious?

Quest bars fit into regular cut days, that's the point.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any kind of special technique to a muscle up? I tried doing one yesterday by just pulling myself up from a standard pull up, but my body was like, "nope!"

Have you looked into eat stop eat?

It sounds interesting, but the website presentation of it seems... pop culture fad like? I guess I don't know how to describe it, just seems style of presenting the information then reliable sources on IF like SilverHydra or Martin Berkhan.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I posted this in SF's thread but I was 179 this morning. Crazy. It makes getting 190 up 4 times on OHP last night feel better. I will say that!

Sickening! I just jumped up another 10 lbs to 160 OHP. It's a challenge. Feels so bad and good though.

Have been enjoying dumbbell presses though, the overhead type. Wobbly as fuck though!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
190 on OHP makes me want to go crying to the corner, but at your weight that's especially impressive.
No crying, just more hard work!

There is technique in a muscle up but most of it is mastering an explosive pull up and months of practice.

abuC

Speaking of sugar, I have to cut back on Gatorade, I usually have 16oz mixed with 16oz of water for the gym. Might just go with water only, but are there any sugar free (less) alternatives to Gatorade?

It sounds interesting, but the website presentation of it seems... pop culture fad like? I guess I don't know how to describe it, just seems style of presenting the information then reliable sources on IF like SilverHydra or Martin Berkhan.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/09/eat-stop-eat-expanded-edition-review.html?m=1

No crying, just more hard work!

There is technique in a muscle up but most of it is mastering an explosive pull up and months of practice.

You use a belt on OHP brosef?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of sugar, I have to cut back on Gatorade, I usually have 16oz mixed with 16oz of water for the gym. Might just go with water only, but are there any sugar free (less) alternatives to Gatorade?

I'd just go water only. You might as well strip it down to just water at this point. I've not had anything that didn't have a faint tint of ass to it when it comes to flavoring w/o sugar.

SeanR1221

Jeeze, I guess so. Scrolling down the page is gets progressively worse. Maybe I'm just spoiled as a web developer and spending a lot of time on tech-related sites.

My lifting buddy, who's also a programmer, told me about it. The page drives him nuts but I gotta say they ship super fast.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm... just read this: http://stronglifts.com/squats-exercise-lower-back-pain/

First, you can not Squat "ass-to-grass" low bar or your lower back will round at the bottom - you need the high bar position for that.

Any opinions from you guys on this?

I do feel a bit sore in my lower back after squatting deep, but I should be stopping around parallel with the lower bar position?

Man... proper squat form has to be like the hardest thing to get right.

I'm just going to have a take a video soon and post it here asking for tips.

MjFrancis

Brad Pilon has one idea to fence and continues to milk that to this very day. It's a brilliant idea, found completely independently of Martin's conclusions, but it seems he is trying too hard to capitalize on that idea and so cheapens it with the marketing. He doesn't have much more to say beyond his book, but it's an important starting point for making sense of health and nutrition.

Succinct and direct conclusions make Eat Stop Eat a great read and very dependable. Fitness and nutrition needs more of that.

ILoveBish

Would you mind sharing some links about this (Google is failing me)? I don't know what you mean by "real insulin speak," but if this were true, that would pretty much rmean Kiefer's Carb Nite book is a bunch of nonsense (and Carb Backloading, too, to an extent). It also would mean that people have to be extremely careful when coming out of ketosis lest they encounter a situation where they have a prolonged period of very high blood sugar.

When I get home from work I will get you the url

I do feel a bit sore in my lower back after squatting deep, but I should be stopping around parallel with the lower bar position?

There is a diagram from ss that shows this. On a low bar squat you stop a bit below parallel bc of the torso angle pointing slightly forward. I think the bar position pic is online on the ss wiki. You use the front of your hip as the measuring point: When the crease bt your thigh and hip gets below your knee you are "below parallel" and go back up. This is noticeably above atg and should be a depth you can reach low-bar wo rounding.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There is a diagram from ss that shows this. On a low bar squat you stop a bit below parallel bc of the torso angle pointing slightly forward. I think the bar position pic is online on the ss wiki. You use the front of your hip as the measuring point: When the crease bt your thigh and hip gets below your knee you are "below parallel" and go back up. This is noticeably above atg and should be a depth you can reach low-bar wo rounding.

Yeah, I've got the book. I guess it's time to read the squat chapter again!

I also think I really need to record myself. The mirrors in the gym don't extend to the ground, so I really can't get a good feel for how I look when squatting while actually doing so. I've just been going as long as I can go in the low bar position, but I'm definitely getting a sore lower back so I'm worried I'm rounding and putting too much stress on my lower back.

Thanks for the advice!

Chittagong

Gold Member

I can definitely relate to this, my lower back rounding at the very bottom is the hardest problem. This results on sore low back obviously, right after the session and for the next day. I really struggle to get deep on heavy low bar.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I can definitely relate to this, my lower back rounding at the very bottom is the hardest problem. This results on sore low back obviously, right after the session and for the next day. I really struggle to get deep on heavy low bar.

I'm not even doing anything heavy yet. Just around 110 - 135 lbs including the bar. I want to make sure my form is decent before putting on the weight so I don't hurt myself and put a stop to any lower body exercises until I heal.

Why the fuck would I eat a protein bar on a cheat day when I could have something way more delicious?

Quest bars fit into regular cut days, that's the point.

1) they are delicious
2) they won't make you bloated
3) fits in with macros (easy 30 grams of protein)
4) satisfies cravings
5) better than having cookies, donuts and candy.

Phandy

1) they are delicious
2) they won't make you bloated
3) fits in with macros (easy 30 grams of protein)
4) satisfies cravings
5) better than having cookies, donuts and candy.

Man I need to find some way to get Quest Bars in the UK on the cheap. Would help me so much when I need to snack.

Or does anyone have any reccomendations for protein bars in the UK? Good Value or Taste (or both!)/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom