• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how will I know if Im eating too much? I want to gain 1-2 KGs per month

Like I said I've gained 2,5 Kgs in 2 weeks. Is that normal when you start training seriously and taking whey daily?

hypernima

Banned
Height: 6' 4"
Weight: 158 lbs
Goal: I want to gain weight and strength.
Current Training Schedule: None.
Current Training Equipment Available: None.
Comments: I'm pretty skinny and find it hard to gain weight, I used to go to the Gym but I couldn't afford it anymore and can't afford it now, since it's like 50-90 a month. I can do basic push ups to an extent but I really would like to gain more weight and muscle over a period of a year or two.

jdavid459

I asked this same question in the Insanity thread but I'd like to get fitness Gaf's opinion as well.

I am starting to struggle making it to the gym due to my job and Insanity looks like it might be a good fit. I'm 6 ft, 195lbs. I don't want to really lose weight as much as I want to change the fat I have into muscle/harden up. I also have a shoulder injury I am working through with physical therapy which prevents heavy lifting.

Would insanity cut the unwanted fat off me without making me look looking starving and weak?

SeanR1221

I asked this same question in the Insanity thread but I'd like to get fitness Gaf's opinion as well.

I am starting to struggle making it to the gym due to my job and Insanity looks like it might be a good fit. I'm 6 ft, 195lbs. I don't want to really lose weight as much as I want to change the fat I have into muscle/harden up. I also have a shoulder injury I am working through with physical therapy which prevents heavy lifting.

Would insanity cut the unwanted fat off me without making me look looking starving and weak?

You can't turn muscle into fat.

I'd imagine insanity would be tough on your shoulder too, right? Pull ups, push-ups, burpees, etc...

You wouldn't look starving and weak but don't expect to pack on any significant muscle/strength with a program like insanity. It's great for losing weight

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
In the past I have followed Strong Lifts, I am returning after a long lay off from lifting.
My right knee hurts a little day to day and really badly when I attempt to squat. I won't be able to get it checked out for a couple of months. I would like to formulate a strength training program that excludes squatting but includes:

• Deadlift
  • Overhead Press
  • Barbell Row or Dumbell Row
  • Bench Press

I understand that it will be vastly suboptimal due to the lack of squatting but it will be better than nothing. What would you guys recommend? Ideally I would like to do each exercise twice a week and maybe add some limited assistance exercises, I only have access to a very basic gym.

blackflag

GNC is scum of the earth. First they jach boxes up from 20 something to like 35 dollars each.

Now they exclude quest bars from the 25% off a box deal because they are "diet bars" not protein bars.

I told the lady behind the counter, and I was nice cuz it's not her fault, that as soon as the buy 2 get 1 deal goes away she'll never see me again. She just said yeah there's a lot of people told her the same thing.

It's like they found something that sells really well and they are trying to gouge the fuck out of it even though there is plenty of supply elsewhere.

SeanR1221

GNC is scum of the earth. First they jach boxes up from 20 something to like 35 dollars each.

Now they exclude quest bars from the 25% off a box deal because they are "diet bars" not protein bars.

I told the lady behind the counter, and I was nice cuz it's not her fault, that as soon as the buy 2 get 1 deal goes away she'll never see me again. She just said yeah there's a lot of people told her the same thing.

It's like they found something that sells really well and they are trying to gouge the fuck out of it even though there is plenty of supply elsewhere.

Yeah once the b2g1 is over I'm done with them too. Sucks the price went up :/

WorldStar

Banned
where you bros buy your tank tops at?

need some for the summer, was thinking of hitting up Express, J Crew, maybe American Apparel, not sure where else to check.

ACE 1991

Down from 169 to 165 after counting all my calories for about 3.5 weeks! Pretty happy with how my stomach fat is going away. Once I hit 159 It's bulk time baby!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks a lot!

I don't think I really understand the difference between sitting down and sitting back, but I'll look into it. Maybe I need a wider stance? In the mean time, I'll definitely try to apply your advice about the head position. SS says to put your chin down slightly and pick a spot on the ground 4 or 5 feet in front of you and to focus on it. Unfortunately, all of the equipment is up against the wall in the gyms I go to, so there isn't even 4 or 5 feet. I'll try adjusting my gaze a bit more and focusing on pushing my had back towards the bar.

Also, I'm curious about the 70sbig picture if you have a link to it.

Haha, well you asked for it:

hamstringtension.png

In an ATG high-bar squat, this tension is lost as the hips sit under the torso, slung between the legs. As a result, the high bar squat is a more quad dominant movement.

For low bar, imagine there's a seat or toilet or something behind you, not under you, and you have to sit on it (better yet, have a toilet or bus stop bench or whatever behind you and try to sit on it). To get a feel for the hamstring tension you want to be maintaining, assume your squat stance and push your arse back with your knees locked. You'll find that your torso will naturally lean over and that your hamstrings will be quite tight with only a limited amount of movement. Eventually you'll feel that your knees will have to bend; keep pushing back after they do so and the tension on your hammies should remain. As you sit farther and farther back you will descend more and more, until you reach parallel or a bit below.

Obviously this isn't the exact movement pattern you want to be using for weighted squats, but it may help you to understand/incorporate the back movement and posterior chain loading. If in a few weeks it's still not there then just switch to high-bar ;)

this week: back to the gym

next week: test my 1RM

the week after: go all out, get proper shoes, straps, belts, etc

it is go time babyyyyyyyyyy

I need to buy a new belt, mine kind of gets in the way of my ribs. Is anyone interested in a 13mm Inzer Orange Belt?

only $50+shipping :)

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Where's the best place to buy 1.25 lb weights from? Any Amazon links?

MjFrancis

Correct. What you want is a set of fractional plates, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RP3KY8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
There's got to be a market out there for fractional plates that are cheaper than $20/lb per standard 2 1/2lbs set. These Iron Woody plates are $50 at least. I wonder if I can find some washers with a 2 inch hole at Home Depot and see how much those weigh. I've been wanting fractional plates for a long time anyways.

Zoe

There's got to be a market out there for fractional plates that are cheaper than $20/lb per standard 2 1/2lbs set. These Iron Woody plates are $50 at least. I wonder if I can find some washers with a 2 inch hole at Home Depot and see how much those weigh. I've been wanting fractional plates for a long times anyways.

Yeah, I got recommended washers elsewhere, but I haven't gotten a chance to check out any stores yet. The one recommendation (Fastenal) doesn't have them in stock locally.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Dear Fitness GAF I ran into a problem, and don't know what to do
After doing Starting Strength, and cutting calories down to 1800 a day In the last week (week 3 of SS) I am stuck at 233 pounds ......
I've heard of people cutting and doing SS before, but it's going to be hard keeping up with SS if "extreme weight loss" is your goal.

The is the kind of thing discouraging me before I even get started. :\ I have a pretty high amount of body fat that I want to get rid of, but it doesn't seem possible to do that and work on SS as well. It's seeming like you get to have one or the other.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, well you asked for it:

hamstringtension.png

In an ATG high-bar squat, this tension is lost as the hips sit under the torso, slung between the legs. As a result, the high bar squat is a more quad dominant movement.

For low bar, imagine there's a seat or toilet or something behind you, not under you, and you have to sit on it (better yet, have a toilet or bus stop bench or whatever behind you and try to sit on it). To get a feel for the hamstring tension you want to be maintaining, assume your squat stance and push your arse back with your knees locked. You'll find that your torso will naturally lean over and that your hamstrings will be quite tight with only a limited amount of movement. Eventually you'll feel that your knees will have to bend; keep pushing back after they do so and the tension on your hammies should remain. As you sit farther and farther back you will descend more and more, until you reach parallel or a bit below.

Obviously this isn't the exact movement pattern you want to be using for weighted squats, but it may help you to understand/incorporate the back movement and posterior chain loading. If in a few weeks it's still not there then just switch to high-bar ;)

Thanks a ton for the advice, I wish I had read this before going into the gym today.

Anyway, I filmed again... this time trying to focus on adjusting my gaze and "sitting back." Now that I understand what you mean by sitting back, I think I didn't do it quite right, but I'm going to put up the videos anyway.

Warm up 1: http://youtu.be/FTLAT6EVyw4
Warm up 2: http://youtu.be/a1QENI1I3cU
Warm up 3: http://youtu.be/RFThsgspLvY
Work set at 115 lbs: http://youtu.be/lnPopLfISYk

Do any of these even look better than the last videos I posted? I knew I still wasn't getting it right, so before I left the gym I tried a bunch of different squat stances until I could find one that I knew was stretching my hamstrings. I then went and recorded this next video with an empty bar trying to do that position. I think it might be a little bit closer to the right form, but please let me know if this is on the right track. Next time I'll try visualizing the toilet seat scenario. I imagine that will help a lot.

Squat test: http://youtu.be/XYPLbmLiwH0

Anyway, if you have any specific advice on today's sets, I'd really appreciate it. Wonder why I'm having so much difficulty finding the right form on these...

Thanks in advance!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks a ton for the advice, I wish I had read this before going into the gym today.

Anyway, I filmed again... this time trying to focus on adjusting my gaze and "sitting back." Now that I understand what you mean by sitting back, I think I didn't do it quite right, but I'm going to put up the videos anyway.

Warm up 1: http://youtu.be/FTLAT6EVyw4
Warm up 2: http://youtu.be/a1QENI1I3cU
Warm up 3: http://youtu.be/RFThsgspLvY
Work set at 115 lbs: http://youtu.be/lnPopLfISYk

Do any of these even look better than the last videos I posted? I knew I still wasn't getting it right, so before I left the gym I tried a bunch of different squat stances until I could find one that I knew was stretching my hamstrings. I then went and recorded this next video with an empty bar trying to do that position. I think it might be a little bit closer to the right form, but please let me know if this is on the right track. Next time I'll try visualizing the toilet seat scenario. I imagine that will help a lot.

Squat test: http://youtu.be/XYPLbmLiwH0

Anyway, if you have any specific advice on today's sets, I'd really appreciate it. Wonder why I'm having so much difficulty finding the right form on these...

Thanks in advance!

I can only watch the last two atm, but the work set looked better than your previous set. You were definitely sitting back more, with a more controlled descent and less loss of spinal extension in the hole, especially in the upper back. The lower back had a fair degree of "butt-wink" (this is a good read on the subject) but this is something that will improve with time.

You demonstrated a bit of a tendency to tip forwards on the ascent (good morning-ing the squat), this could be due to raising the hips, weak abs/lower back or weak legs being unable to drive the weight up. In the test video, this was much more pronounced, which leads me to think that the main cause is miscued "hip drive"; if the hips come up without the glutes also driving forwards, the torso leans forwards more instead of less and the bar stays at the same height.

I'll try and get a look at the other videos later on, in the meantime maybe Noema or someone else could give a second opinion.

Don't be disheartened by the amount of work this requires, the low bar squat is a fairly "unnatural" feeling movement for most people, especially when compared to high bar.

Okay guys, I come to you with a question. So I'm a fairly fit guy, decently low bodyfat but the fat I do have seems to all go to my butt which is annoying. I'm wondering the best way to get rid of it. I know you can't spot reduce fat, so I'm thinking some sort of low carb diet and maybe cardio or HIIT.

The thing about cardio is that I sprained my ankle REALLY badly and it's still recovering so I can't do much long distance running and it seems most cardio involves legs in some way. Any suggestions?

The is the kind of thing discouraging me before I even get started. :\ I have a pretty high amount of body fat that I want to get rid of, but it doesn't seem possible to do that and work on SS as well. It's seeming like you get to have one or the other.

Try it while eating at maintenance. (eating enough not to gain fat or lose fat)
Even if you aren't directly losing fat, by doing SS and increasing muscle mass you should look better anyhow.

blackflag

The is the kind of thing discouraging me before I even get started. : I have a pretty high amount of body fat that I want to get rid of, but it doesn't seem possible to do that and work on SS as well. It's seeming like you get to have one or the other.

No no no. Try it. I lost 90 lbs while doing SS and I rarely ever even stalled.i mean I think I have some decent genetics but they shouldn't be that good that no one else can cut with SS.

I was also on keto at the same time 20g carbs or less per day with carb loads every other weekend.

Don't get discouraged. Try SS

Not sur your stats but at 6'0 310, I cut on 2,500 cal per day.

Chittagong

Gold Member
No no no. Try it. I lost 90 lbs while doing SS and I rarely ever even stalled.i mean I think I have some decent genetics but they shouldn't be that good that no one else can cut with SS.

I was also on keto at the same time 20g carbs or less per day with carb loads every other weekend.

Don't get discouraged. Try SS

Not sur your stats but at 6'0 310, I cut on 2,500 cal per day.

I am going to echo this. I am down 50lbs (from 260 to 210) at 6'3 and doing SS. I eat 2000kcal, and do either keto or IF. My big lifts are up 30-50% in the last 2 months.

Height: 5 foot 6
Weight: 135lbs estimated
Goal: Something similar to this
Current Training Schedule: None
Current Training Equipment Available: Just a few dumbbells at home but willing to join a gym.
Comments: I do have a copy of the INSANE training program although it seems cardio heavy. I'm willing to take a shirtless photo and send them via PM to highlight exactly what I want to change, but in short I'd like to define my abs (that means removing my ever forming stomach fat) and build muscle in my arms, biceps and trips.

What program would you guys recommend? I've ordered the book Starting Strength

Current Training Equipment Available: Just a few dumbbells at home but willing to join a gym.
Comments: I do have a copy of the INSANE training program although it seems cardio heavy. I'm willing to take a shirtless photo and send them via PM to highlight exactly what I want to change, but in short I'd like to define my abs (that means removing my ever forming stomach fat) and build muscle in my arms, biceps and trips.

You won't regret it :)
A good starting strength program would be one of linear progress with alternating workout routines - but I'll let someone more knowledgable give you a specific structure as I can't remember it atm.

Something like:
Week 1
Day 1 - Workout A (OHP, Bench, some accessories), Day 2 - Workout B (Squat, Deadlift, some accessories), Day 3 - Workout A, again.
Week 2
Day 1 - Workout B, Day 2 - Workout A, Day 3 - Workout B.

I suggest you take that pic btw, and keep it to yourself if you'd rather. Just so you can look back half a year from now and feel good about the progress you've made.

Zoe

Okay guys, I come to you with a question. So I'm a fairly fit guy, decently low bodyfat but the fat I do have seems to all go to my butt which is annoying. I'm wondering the best way to get rid of it. I know you can't spot reduce fat, so I'm thinking some sort of low carb diet and maybe cardio of HIIT.

The thing about cardio is that I sprained my ankle REALLY badly and it's still recovering so I can't do much long distance running and it seems most cardio involves legs in some way. Any suggestions?

Diet is really the key. Cardio will only do so much, especially if you're already fairly low fat.

despire

Do SS for at least half a year. You ordered the book so just do the program :)

Kyaw

I somehow fucked up the right wrist doing cleans last Wednesday. Problem didn't arise until Friday.

Healing now and can't hit the gym today. Feels bad man. :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this in the Scooby thread - I'm in tears, somehow this one slipped under the radar. Goddammit

1332691102901zrj76.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom