• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

Cyclical for sure.

I was running like 35-40% protein 55-60% fat and like 20g non fiber carbs max.

I'm carb cycling now though and I'm getting crazy results but keto was how I lost most of my weight and got most of my gains.

So what was your cycle like, and how hard was it to get back to ketosis after it?

All the stuff I've read about cyclical makes it sound like you have to do some very specific kinds of workouts to get back to keto faster.

blackflag

So what was your cycle like, and how hard was it to get back to ketosis after it?

All the stuff I've read about cyclical makes it sound like you have to do some very specific kinds of workouts to get back to keto faster.

I actually never did specific workouts I was doing SS at the time. I didn't carb load every week. I carb loaded when my body told me I needed to. Usually every other week for 36 hours. Sometimes it would be every week but rarely.

Some people do it every week and do a depletion workout right before the carb load but my feelings were, if you just wait until you really are totally depleted, you can spend more time in keto and avoid the stupid depletion workout.

After a couple months I realized it didn't make sense to keep buying keto sticks and checking if I was in keto so jm not sure how long it took to get back in.

blackflag

So I'm 24 years old and been bouncing between weight for the past 4 years. The heaviest I have ever been was 320, and with cardio + a strict diet I was able to drop to a frail 195 with 0 muscle. This is when I started to pick up weight training and been incorporating power lifting into my regime for the last 2 1/2 years. I gained a lot of weight back, but my bodyfat rose only about 7-9%. I'm 265 pds now, 22% body fat and my numbers are: Bench 365, Squat 445, Deadlift 495 with an OHP of 245. I'm not obese, but I am overweight now and I'm going to focus more on shaping my physique these next few years since I'm not really happy with the way I look. I might be strong and all but I have always been ridiculed when I was younger, being the fat kid and being told I'd never do a lot of things. These memories are coming back slowly when I look in the mirror so I'm putting away the strength training and working on conditioning, eating correctly and stimulating hypertrophy. My maintenance calories are 3300, with a goal of losing 2lbs a week I'd need to consume roughly 2600 and since I'm stacking EC I'm choosing to go with a moderately low carb diet (this is like 150g a day for my weight lol.)

Diet: Breakfast - 1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, 1 cup oatmeal, 1 banana, 1/2 cup blueberries

Mid morning snack - 2 scoops whey

Pre workout - half cup oats, 1 scoop whey

Post workout - 1 cup oats, 1 scoop whey

Lunch - 8oz chicken breast, broccoli and some almonds

Dinner - 90/10 8oz beef patty, broccoli and veggies

Sorry for the shit ton of words, it's my first post so it'd be cool to receive some tips and criticism, maybe from someone who has been down the same road as me and can give me a little guidance ( I suck at nutrition btw. ) thanks all!

Your calories sound about right. I think you should eat chicken or fish or something instead of that much whey but I suppose it'll work.

For reference, I'm 236 @ probably 15% and lose at least 2lbs a week with no cardio on an average of 2,500 cals per day. That's with cycling very high carb days and very low/no carb days

yeah they're good

then again I fucking love anything pretzel or pretzel related

me too.

Oh man, so I'm just getting back into the groove of things when work informs me that I will be going to Cali for a week in August. Looks like I will need to find a gym and go from there. I already had my two weeks off. Not taking another one!

Failed the 320 squat with the weight lifting belt. I am not used to it, so it's a source of distraction/discomfort. I guess I'll have to keep trying and getting used to it.

Did 5/4/3 reps.

Did 185 bench. It was ok!

Also did 330 deadlift. Felt my glutes and my face hot as nine hells.

Also failed on the dips, only did 10/10/10 bodyweight.

Not a good day overall. Let's try again on Friday

Noema

Failed the 320 squat with the weight lifting belt. I am not used to it, so it's a source of distraction/discomfort. I guess I'll have to keep trying and getting used to it.

The belt alone won't fix your rounding back at the bottom though. When your back rounds like that your hamstrings shorten and you can't really bounce up as you would if you kept tension throughout.

How tight are you wearing it? When I started using a belt properly it felt like it instantly added 20lb to my squat and deadlift.

Tomorrow I have to deadlift 415lb for 5+.

I'm scared o_O

The belt alone won't fix your rounding back at the bottom though. When your back rounds like that your hamstrings shorten and you can't really bounce up as you would if you kept tension throughout.

How tight are you wearing it? When I started using a belt properly it felt like it instantly added 20lb to my squat and deadlift.

Tomorrow I have to deadlift 415lb for 5+.

I'm scared o_O

That's the thing, I am not used to using it too tight so I don't think it's helping much and I find it rather uncomfortable. On the Deadlift it sure helps, but the squat not so much. I am not going as deep with the squat now, trying to keep my back straight. If I fail 3 more times, so be it, I'll have to deload

abuC

LMAO, saw this posted just now on Insidehoops -

ku-xlarge.png

Leg days? Tyson Chandler never heard of them.

despire

Ordered some whey in bulk again since it's hands down the cheapest way of getting your protein around here. I've been doing some calculations lately, comparing different foods trying to find out which one gives you the cheapest protein. Whey concentrate is in the bottom at ~0, 016€/g and shrimps are at the top at a whopping ~0, 064€/g. So if you are a student trying not to live beyond your means, it's good to think about which sources to use most of the time.

Anyway I ordered 17,6lbs for 100 €. Big cost up front but pays in the long run..

WorldStar

Banned
He's 6'11" (7'0" in shoes)

where are you getting this number from?

what I've heard in the past on TV is that he is 7'1

literally every single website I just checked said he was 7'1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyson_Chandler
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/984/tyson-chandler
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tyson_chandler/
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3512
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/chandty01.html

I can go on.

I've seen him in person stand by 6'11 bball players and he was definitely taller.

Noema

Aight so I think I got this whole bar position shit worked out:

This would be NOT low bar position yea?

kT2JSHu.jpg

While this would be:

VSFHec8.jpg

Or have I gone too far down the back now?

That's a wee-bit too low. Roll a bit higher (not as high as the first picture) and make sure to raise your elbows, since you have quite a bit of wrist flexion in there supporting the bar, and that'll hurt eventually.

abuC

That photo is freaking awesomesauce.

It really is, I have a t-shirt with this on it too lol

kareem-abdul-jabbar-middle-fingers.jpg

where are you getting this number from?

what I've heard in the past on TV is that he is 7'1

literally every single website I just checked said he was 7'1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyson_Chandler
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/984/tyson-chandler
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tyson_chandler/
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3512
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/chandty01.html

I can go on.

I've seen him in person stand by 6'11 bball players and he was definitely taller.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/

Tyson Chandler - 2001 6' 11.5" 7' 0.5" 224 7' 3" 9' 2"

Most of the heights you see on NBA.com are listed with shoes on and rounded up, it's up to the team/players discretion what their listed height will be.

WorldStar

Banned
Tyson Chandler - 2001 6' 11.5" 7' 0.5" 224 7' 3" 9' 2"

Most of the heights you see on NBA.com are listed with shoes on and rounded up, it's up to the team/players discretion what their listed height will be.

that measurement is 12 years old

he was 18 years old when they took that measurement

like I said, having seen him in person I can assure you he's grown an inch or two in the last 12 years

I could maybe see him being 7'0 without shoes on, but yeah I really doubt he is 6'11

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
What's a good, easy way to load up a protein shake with carbs? I'm still not hitting my carb macros and I figure throwing a bunch into my shakes would solve that.

Nelo Ice

Banned
me too.

Oh man, so I'm just getting back into the groove of things when work informs me that I will be going to Cali for a week in August. Looks like I will need to find a gym and go from there. I already had my two weeks off. Not taking another one!
Going to the bay right? If you have 24 there are super sports all around here. Hell here in east bay I swear they've opened a new super sport every year for the past 3 or 4 years.

despire

Decided to kick start my cut with a short sting of PSMF (Lyle's RFLD) again. Did the same last year and it went really well. Lost 3lbs/week and with no strength loss. If my lifts start to suffer, I'll end it right away but if not then I'll do it for 2-3 weeks. Hoping to lose ~9lbs in three weeks.

Afterwards I'll do the full two week diet break at maintenance, which I didn't do last time (and it was a bad idea). Also 5h carb refeed once a week, probably skipping on the free meal since I don't need any psychological comfort from food. I am the master of my own destiny. PSMF is a shitty diet but it works and it's only for a short while so not complaining.

Hoping to get under 80kg with this and then start again with a more moderate pace (~1lbs/week) until I get low enough (12-15 bf%) to allow lean bulking again.

Visceir

4 hours of sleep last night, I'm awful at getting enough sleep. Fortunately no gym day today.

I need to hit my abs/core more often too, I was thinking about just taking the ab ripper part from p90x and doing that, otherwise I'd never be sure if I did enough. Maybe add some planks too.

Has anyone here introduced coconut flakes into their diet? Seems like the local fitness people here have talked quite positively about it.

despire

2 more lbs down...18 lbs so far since June 13.

before and after pics in Sept. The before pics being when I was 310....

Looking swole, man! :)

I've been thinking about this kind of bastard version of GSLP and Greyskull Powerbuilding programs lately. Basically putting the best things about both of them together.. Also some inspiration from Lyle's Generic Bulking Routine.

Something like this:

Monday
Press / Bench 2 x 6-8
Squat 2 x 4-6
Chins / Rows 2 x 6-8
Curls 2 x 8-12
Lateral raises 2 x 8-12 / CGBP 2 x 6-8

Wednesday
Press / Bench 2 x 6-8
Deadlift 1 x 6-8
Chins / Rows 2 x 6-8
Pulldowns 2 x 6-8

Friday
Press / Bench 2 x 6-8
Front Squat 2 x 10-12
Chins / Rows 2 x 6-8
Curls 2 x 8-12

Would something like this work or is there too much stuff? Sets and reps are from the Powerbuilding book while the arrangement of lifts and progression is from GSLP. The second/last set of each lift is basically AMRAP, where I go all out. Also a little bit of assistance lifts thrown in to the mix. Is there too much back training if I do something (chins/rows/pulldowns) every day? For bulking obviously.

So could anyone spare a comment? :) The problem with the original GSLP Powerbuilding is that it has you benching, pressing AND squatting all in the same day and I'm not sure I want that even though it's only 2 sets per exercise. I'm also interested in the 6-8 rep range instead of the 5 reps in GSLP. But if the above routine is no good, then I'll just stick with regular GSLP after my cut is over.

I need to do this but Everytime I start I'm like fuck It and go do pull-ups or something

lol.

My plan for the next few months:

Start a deadlift specific program. This means legs are on the backburner. Little to no squatting depending on how I feel. And even if I do decide to squat, not trying to break any PRs. Pure maintenance mode. Prolly do some RDLs or Good Mornings.

Same goes with bench and ohp. Maintenance mode. Maybe just do 5/3/1 but not go for max reps. Just hit the minimum.

Traps, back, arms, core, calves, hip flexor are what I am focusing on. Try to hit them 2-3 times a week. High reps, heavy weight.

The Lamp

Dear lord.

I think I did my first proper deadlifts today because they wiped the energy right out of me. I was shaking when I finished and got a wee bit light-headed. Thank goodness I left them for the end of my work-out or I might not have done anything else.

Sigh. Still trying to get used to the intense trio of benching, squatting, and deadlifting >_<

I think my squat form is starting to come together. However, I happen to be one of those uber flexible guys Starting Strength talks about so it's easy for me to curve my lower back too much because of my weak core. I wish there was a better way to fix that. Right now I just keep trying to remind myself to flatten my lower back more but it's hard for me to pull off.

Cudder

Dear lord.

I think I did my first proper deadlifts today because they wiped the energy right out of me. I was shaking when I finished and got a wee bit light-headed. Thank goodness I left them for the end of my work-out or I might not have done anything else.

Sigh. Still trying to get used to the intense trio of benching, squatting, and deadlifting >_<

I think my squat form is starting to come together. However, I happen to be one of those uber flexible guys Starting Strength talks about so it's easy for me to curve my lower back too much because of my weak core. I wish there was a better way to fix that. Right now I just keep trying to remind myself to flatten my lower back more but it's hard for me to pull off.

You should do your deadlifts first.

Had a really bad night of sleep. Slept like 5 hours. Woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. g_g

You should do your deadlifts first.

I always do my squats first.

Those deadlifts can kill your energy in an instant. Feels so fucking good when all sets are done, like I climbed mt. Everest.

despire

Hmm, I was also reading about Westside for Skinny Bastards program and it looks interesting for bulking.

This is what I was able to piece together after reading a couple of sources about the program, though the lifts are rotated in and out when you plateau:
A: Max Effort Upper Body

Bench Press 1 x 3-5
T-Bar Row 4 x 6-10
DB Incline Bench 3-4 x 6-10
Rear Side Raises 2-3 x 12-15
Curls 3 x 8-12

B: Deadlift Max Effort

Deadlift 1 x 3-5
Front Squat 3 x 8
Weighted Hyperextension 3 x 8
Hanging Leg Raises 3-4 x 8-15
Grip Training 3 x timed

C: Upper Repetition Day

Barbell bench press 3 x AMRAP
Chin-up / Pulldown 4 x 8-12
DB Press / Side Raise 3 x 10-15
CGBP 3-4 x 5-10
Curls 3 x 8-12

D: Squat Max Effort

Squats 1 x 3-5
RDL 3 x 8
Walking Lunges 3 x 8
Calf Raises 3 x 8
Hanging Leg Raises 3-4 x 8-15

Madness

Thoughts on possible pec tear/sprain or is it just knots or something? Back in December, randomly one day my pec kind of cramped I guess. No pop, no large pain, it just felt like it would 'catch'. As I didn't want to impact my gains I just pushed forward, not stopping. Now been 7 months or so of this.

Doing things like Flys, presses don't hurt. But getting up from a lying position hurts. Like I'm lying on bench, or getting up from sleep, possibly hurts doing dips.

I can't see any deformity but I can feel some lumps, feel hard like bone on the inside of pec, if I press it, it hurts. It's not really part of the pec muscle. What's the diagnosis? Was thinking of going to a sports massage place or even doctor. I rarely go to the doctors office, maybe every 5 years or so. Don't want to risk tearing my pec or whatever.

deadbeef

Is there a sports medicine place near you? I would give them a call. After 7 months I wouldn't think it's a tear but I am not a doctor, so who knows?

Petrie

Banned
Ordered some whey in bulk again since it's hands down the cheapest way of getting your protein around here. I've been doing some calculations lately, comparing different foods trying to find out which one gives you the cheapest protein. Whey concentrate is in the bottom at ~0, 016€/g and shrimps are at the top at a whopping ~0, 064€/g. So if you are a student trying not to live beyond your means, it's good to think about which sources to use most of the time.

Anyway I ordered 17,6lbs for 100 €. Big cost up front but pays in the long run..

This is how I do it. I buy 50lbs at a time for like $275 shipped to my door. Great stuff.

Sphinx, that before/after shit you posted is awesome.

despire

The problem with cutting is that you will begin to think and plan about what you will be doing in your training after your cut is over. And then you don't want to continue cutting anymore because you want to go back to gaining :p

Continueing cutting off course

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've asked this with no response before. It seems like my shoulders are really closed. I've forced myself into squatting and it seems like Ive messed something up in both shoulders. Im doing dislocations every day, but I have to do them so wide, the stick barely clears my head. I went play golf today, and couldn't get the club behind my shoulders to stretch. Anyone go through something similar. Should I lay off squats for awhile, and if so, how long? I'm just starting, it's disheartening not being able to even get off the ground
Just wanted to let you know since I didn't see any responses that I have no answer for you. I think laying off the movements is worth trying though.

ILoveBish

Gah, bad day at the gym. Last 2 times i went, i went hungry, which just does not work for me at all. I know a lot of people like to work out fasted, but it makes me have 0 energy to burn while there. I ended up hurting my elbow slightly on bench and just decided to pack it up for compounds, went and did some light accessories and got out of there. Feels bad. I think i need to get a little more strict on my sleep schedule, and also do a better job of having food ready to eat more often. Considering taking a week off from the gym just to recover a bit, and then start on 5/3/1 at this point, since i am past my beginner phase.

2 more lbs down...18 lbs so far since June 13.

before and after pics in Sept. The before pics being when I was 310....

Looking great man, super impressed by your results and motivates me even more, even tho its 100x slower for me, im still not going to let it stop me.

I've been taking fish oil for a few months now, and wow does it have my skin looking great, can't believe the difference it makes. My skin used to dry out pretty quickly (eyebrow/forehead area) and it hasn't happened since I started taking this stuff, don't even care about the other benefits, my skin not being ashy as hell is where it's at.

I take zinc and it really helps with skin quality. Figured it cant hurt since ive got all these stretch marks all over the place, and the zinc might help out in that regard.

Any thoughts here on keto, keto gains, etc.?

After this bulk I want to shed fat without losing muscle, and my previous attempts didn't work out well for me.

Keto is awesome. YMMV of course on it. Its my fav lifestyle change since discovering compound exercises. I would say go CKD if you want to make sure you want to maintain strength, SKD it gets tougher depending on the person. Highly suggest the FAQs on reddit for Keto and Ketogains.

sphinx

the piano man
Sphinx, that before/after shit you posted is awesome.

yeah, I thought it was pretty revealing and guy speaks the truth in his article, I liked him.

Wait you mean I can't look like this doing p90x!?!?!?!?!?!

woah, explain this before/after Sean, you mean there are hours of difference between the one pic and the other? how is that possible?

the only scenario I can imagine that's possible, is the before pic being early in the morning after waking up, no food, no nothing and the after pic later on, taken directly after healthy meals and workout, minutes/seconds after being pumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom