• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Another common tactic is to take the "after" shot first, then load up on water, carbs, sodium etc... for the bloated "before" pic.

Yeah first thing I thought of was this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M957dACQyfU

So I want to hit abs 2-3 times a week. Really make my core a focus. Any suggestions? The ones that I need to do?

I'd also like to hear responses to this. I'm thinking planks, hanging leg raises, ab roller...not sure what to do beyond that. I don't like reverse or weighted crunches because they put too much strain on my lower back.

Detox

Ab Ripper X is 15mins, 3 times a week. I believe X2 Ab Ripper is about the same but more advanced. Though I'm a novice and my bodyfat isn't close to show my abs I can definitely feel that they are getting stronger and the burn is definitely there if you can do it with no breaks. Not sure what the policies on linking to it are but you can find the ab ripper x video on facebook with a quick google search.

So could anyone spare a comment? :) The problem with the original GSLP Powerbuilding is that it has you benching, pressing AND squatting all in the same day and I'm not sure I want that even though it's only 2 sets per exercise. I'm also interested in the 6-8 rep range instead of the 5 reps in GSLP. But if the above routine is no good, then I'll just stick with regular GSLP after my cut is over.

Hmm, I was also reading about Westside for Skinny Bastards program and it looks interesting for bulking.

This is what I was able to piece together after reading a couple of sources about the program, though the lifts are rotated in and out when you plateau:

I see no problem with either one of those. Just be sure to know when too much is too much and if you feel your CNS is starting to break down, time for rest.

I'd also like to hear responses to this. I'm thinking planks, hanging leg raises, ab roller...not sure what to do beyond that. I don't like reverse or weighted crunches because they put too much strain on my lower back.

lol.

My plan for the next few months:

Start a deadlift specific program. This means legs are on the backburner. Little to no squatting depending on how I feel. And even if I do decide to squat, not trying to break any PRs. Pure maintenance mode. Prolly do some RDLs or Good Mornings.

Same goes with bench and ohp. Maintenance mode. Maybe just do 5/3/1 but not go for max reps. Just hit the minimum.

Traps, back, arms, core, calves, hip flexor are what I am focusing on. Try to hit them 2-3 times a week. High reps, heavy weight.

Here is my proposed plan:

Magnusson-Ortmayer Deadlift Routine

week 1
warm up
4x4 at 70%
2x2 at 80%
back to 70%- try to get 10 but if you do 8 or more you go up 10 lbs next week ( I usually waited until after the 2nd week before going up. You'll see why)

week 2
warm up
4x4 at 70%
2 reps at 80%
2 reps at 90%
8+ reps at 70%

If you get all the reps then go up 10 lbs. If you don't then repeat.

week3
warm up
4x4 at 70% +10
2 at 80% +10
2 at 90% +10
8+ with 70% +10

week 4
rest, replace with squats

link to google docs spreadlist

OHP, Bench, Squats will be 5/3/1 based in the sense that I will hit the minimum reps. If I feel that I can do more, I will. That being said, the goal for me is increased deadlifts so if that means, I have to cut back on something, I will.

Monday
OHP - 5/3/1
Various trap movement(s)
Bicep and tricep movements (heavy)
Pullups

Tuesday
Squats - 5/3/1
Snatch grip deadlifts
Various core exercises
Various calf exercises

Thursday
Flat Bench - 5/3/1
DB Incline bench
Rowing exercise(s)/Pullups
Bicep and tricep movements (light)

Saturday
Magnusson-Ortmayer Deadlift Routine
RDL/Good Mornings (light)
T-Bar Deadlifts (optional)
Various trap exercise(s)
Various core exercises
Various calf exercises

core exercise will consist of: hanging leg raises, decline situps, cable crunches, side bends (I am open to more/better ideas though. I'm not too sure what is worth doing or what is shit)

Will adjust as necessary. Just looking at this, I might be trying to overshoot what I am capable of but I want to try to see how far I can get. I know what my body can and cannot handle.

Man Mode baby. Hiroshi Tanahashi go!

hiroshi+tanahashi.jpg

Kawl_USC

That's a wee-bit too low. Roll a bit higher (not as high as the first picture) and make sure to raise your elbows, since you have quite a bit of wrist flexion in there supporting the bar, and that'll hurt eventually.

Thanks for the response as always Noema. And I swear one of these days I'll get the bar position right...

Yeah buddy! My deadlift is blowing up now that I switched to mixed grip. Today a new PR by several reps: 9 x 140 kg (309 lb) without needing to regrip or pause at the bottom.

despire

I see no problem with either one of those. Just be sure to know when too much is too much and if you feel your CNS is starting to break down, time for rest.

Thanks, I thought that as well but wanted some reassurance. Probably going with the Westside once I'm bulking again.

More planks FE!
I do both straight planks, and side planks, to strengthen my core.
I think you got the right number of exercises, I know I manage to squeeze through the main movement and the accessories in an hour to an hour and a half.

Looks great though!

I don't even think of it as cutting at this point. This is a lifestyle change and I will live the rest of my life at 6-8% body fat. I will still have cheat meals but my diet from Mon-Saturday will be mostly leans meats, fish, veggies, nuts and a little bit of fruit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Haha not mine bro. I bought it for my girlfriend cuz she's vegan and I feel doesn't get enough protein.

Soy protein, not even once

Okay thought I was in the Twilight Zone or somesuch. I was like "I know that font but I never see those words...who the devil!?"

More planks FE!
I do both straight planks, and side planks, to strengthen my core.
I think you got the right number of exercises, I know I manage to squeeze through the main movement and the accessories in an hour to an hour and a half.

Looks great though!

Word, I knew I forgot something. I will definitely add planks.

Not giant. I was just 6'0 and obese. Thanks man.

Here's me about to kill breakfast. Yes i know, very random.

you look so happy lol

jimbor

Banned
FitGAF, another SS question. First some stats.

Vital stats:

Height: 5'9
Weight: 80kg ish (varies but that's generally what I hover around)

Numbers:

Squat:48.5 > 96kg
Deadlift: 65.5 > 113kg
OHP: 28.5 > 46.5kg
Power clean: 45.5 > 55.5kg (only incorporated these about a month ago)
Bench: 40.5 > 60.5kg (Taking this very easy because of an old chest problem)
Chin ups 3x10 bodyweight/alternated with weighted
Pull ups 3x8 bodyweight/alternated with weighted

I'm about two months in and my legs feel pretty tired most of the time. My sleep is shitty unfortunately, long term insomnia problems not helped by the unusally hot weather in the UK (in before 'lol, 32 degrees celsius isn't hot!') At what point should I start doing the lighter squats on a Wednesday? It seems too soon to me to be doing that but I'm not really sure.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Whoops, just fucked up my first day on IF. Next one will go right. Whoopsie daisy.

I think they have everything. Its the best gym in my town and most expensive one

Then jump on the following routine (it's in the OP) if you haven't already:

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday

Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

I was thinking more like

1 day legs

1 day abs

1 day shoulders

etc
etc¨

?

If you haven't read the OP? read it. Every nook and cranny. Make sure your gym has a squat rack. Don't assume it, check it, be 100% sure, that you're not wasting your money. It will be the primary tool in your routines.

If you haven't read the OP? read it. Every nook and cranny. Make sure your gym has a squat rack. Don't assume it, check it, be 100% sure, that you're not wasting your money. It will be the primary tool in your routines.

Yes it has a squat rack :)

I think it has every high end machine on this planet

Ravidrath

Keto is awesome. YMMV of course on it. Its my fav lifestyle change since discovering compound exercises. I would say go CKD if you want to make sure you want to maintain strength, SKD it gets tougher depending on the person. Highly suggest the FAQs on reddit for Keto and Ketogains.

Yeah, that and this thread on BB.com has been my primary resources for research so far.

I'll probably go with an SKD to see how it goes, and switch over to a CKD if and when I hit my target BF%.

thomaser

I've asked this with no response before. It seems like my shoulders are really closed. I've forced myself into squatting and it seems like Ive messed something up in both shoulders. Im doing dislocations every day, but I have to do them so wide, the stick barely clears my head. I went play golf today, and couldn't get the club behind my shoulders to stretch. Anyone go through something similar. Should I lay off squats for awhile, and if so, how long? I'm just starting, it's disheartening not being able to even get off the ground

There are videos on mobilitywod.com on how to work on shoulder trouble. Go to http://www.mobilitywod.com/episodes/, and use the filters to narrow it down to shoulders. That should give you some tips.

blackflag

I don't know if its already been mentioned but the lady at GNC told me that the B2G1 Quest bar sale ends today.

Just FYI.

Welp not buying anymore from them then.

I actually went there to see if they had White chocolate raspberry yet and they don't so I bought a box somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom