• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
aaElGvY.png

sorry for the crappy quality

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well think I finally set a PR and benched a plate so 135 lbs. Felt like the random spotter was helping alot but besides that I think I finally broke through.

Edit: And of course I go for 195 lb 1x5 deadlift and only get to 4 with my 4th rep bein sloppy.

despire

Thread got somewhere again last night :D

Noema looking fantastic and someone you don't wanna fuck with. Amazing transformation really, didn't realize you were getting that huuge since you always call yourself a "beanpole" :D

Blackflag looking beastly as always.

Sphinx has also done very good, huge difference.

Darth's avatar, lol :p

Sean's cigar/throne pic bad ass as always.

Did I forget someone? :p

Here's a recent pic of me. Doing some woodcutting last weekend:
http://i.imgur.com/UadrsWy.jpg
Nothing much to brag about in that picture, except maybe dem traps :D

Hey guys, interested in your input -

A friend has been training me for the last two months. For the first I have had the benefit to learning weight lifting/fitness and having a spotter who can help pushing my limit while lifting heavier weights.

However, recently our schedules have had more conflicts and I have been intrigued to start going to the gym by myself. Kind of scary, but I figure I have to grow sometime and somehow. What's kind of getting me stuck is if I do go by myself - I really won't have the benefit of having a workout buddy, I won't be able to lift as much weight or do as much rep.There are some stuff I can really use help on, like bench press, shoulder press, or skullcrusher, etc.

As I am typing this I think the obvious answer is just do lower weight and slowly building strength. However, I am just curious to hear you guys' thoughts on transitioning from working out with someone to work out by yourself. Thanks in advance!

despire

A friend has been training me for the last two months. For the first I have had the benefit to learning weight lifting/fitness and having a spotter who can help pushing my limit while lifting heavier weights.

However, recently our schedules have had more conflicts and I have been intrigued to start going to the gym by myself. Kind of scary, but I figure I have to grow sometime and somehow. What's kind of getting me stuck is if I do go by myself - I really won't have the benefit of having a workout buddy, I won't be able to lift as much weight or do as much rep.There are some stuff I can really use help on, like bench press, shoulder press, or skullcrusher, etc.

As I am typing this I think the obvious answer is just do lower weight and slowly building strength. However, I am just curious to hear you guys' thoughts on transitioning from working out with someone to work out by yourself. Thanks in advance!

Just so you know, most people go by themselves and can push their limits just fine.

You can also lift just as much weight by yourself, unless of course your buddy has been lifting some of that weight for you while "spotting".

Also you can always do stuff like bench press in a way that there's no risk of accidents. Use safety rails (if you have them) or do it inside a power rack. Or just don't get greedy with the weight increases and get stuck because you wanted to lift more than you were ready for. Also you can always do the roll of shame. As for the shoulder press, you shouldn't really need a spotter for that. With Skullcrushers/LTE's, having a spotter can be a good idea when it gets heavy enough, but you can always ask someone. Of course you can always ask someone to spot you for the bench as well.

Bottom line is that you can do just fine with yourself, just play it smart.

If the spotter was actually lifting any of the weight for you during the average set, he was doing it wrong.

If this is about a confidence issue, either ask somebody in the gym for a spot or stop yourself if you think the next rep will be dangerous.

Thanks for the responses, guys

I should clarify on the spotting part. My friend doesn't help me lift during the average set. When he wants me to push my limits, whether it's weight and/or set, he would gentle use his hand to help me get the weight up, then let go so I can control it while setting the weights/bar down. So I would do as much as I can by myself, and he will only step in for that one or two extra reps that in his assessment he believes I can do it, or when I ask for help lol

but I really appreciate the responses - food for thought, which is exactly what I need. And I think right now it is figuring out how I can push myself to my limit by myself, like you guys said. It is a confidence issue right now because I am not necessary new to fitness per se, but to weight lifting and to learning how to use the equipments properly

Thanks for the responses, guys

I should clarify on the spotting part. My friend doesn't help me lift during the average set. When he wants me to push my limits, whether it's weight and/or set, he would gentle use his hand to help me get the weight up, then let go so I can control it while setting the weights/bar down. So I would do as much as I can by myself, and he will only step in for that one or two extra reps that in his assessment he believes I can do it, or when I ask for help lol

but I really appreciate the responses - food for thought, which is exactly what I need. And I think right now it is figuring out how I can push myself to my limit by myself, like you guys said. It is a confidence issue right now because I am not necessary new to fitness per se, but to weight lifting and to learning how to use the equipments properly

My personal experience with learning how to predict when I'm about to fail:

I actually failed a couple times. I had some squat failures when squatting in a power cage.I had to dump the bar on the safety rails. It taught me something of the difference between "pushing myself goddammit why are weights so heavy" and "oh shit son there is actually nothing left in your muscles what are you doing stop."

For OHP, the failure is almost always at the bottom, so I just re-rack it. Once, I barely cleared my head on the way up, then immediately lost steam and wound up with the bar sitting on my head for a split second. I let it have the briefest rest there and then powered through the rep. After I derped through that without injury I wasn't afraid of the lift any more since lockout, the most dangerous portion in my mind, always seems easier than everything below it.

for bench: either get a spotter or be extra cautious.

ToxicAdam

Had fun tonight watching a PT destroy a high school football player with a medicine ball core routine. Dude was toast in about 12 minutes.

There was one exercise that looked super effective. He had the guy take the ball with both hands and then extend it over his right shoulder than down past the left knee, then up past his left shoulder and then down past his right knee. Very explosively and really working those obliques. Then with all his might, throw it down on the floor and bounce it and catch it. Just kept repeating until the kid gassed.

My personal experience with learning how to predict when I'm about to fail:

I actually failed a couple times. I had some squat failures when squatting in a power cage.I had to dump the bar on the safety rails. It taught me something of the difference between "pushing myself goddammit why are weights so heavy" and "oh shit son there is actually nothing left in your muscles what are you doing stop."

For OHP, the failure is almost always at the bottom, so I just re-rack it. Once, I barely cleared my head on the way up, then immediately lost steam and wound up with the bar sitting on my head for a split second. I let it have the briefest rest there and then powered through the rep. After I derped through that without injury I wasn't afraid of the lift any more since lockout, the most dangerous portion in my mind, always seems easier than everything below it.

for bench: either get a spotter or be extra cautious.

What's OHP, Fred? And yeah I am really worried about the second type of failure, the "oh shit"

And bear with me, can you elaborate on this part? I don't quite get it

After I derped through that without injury I wasn't afraid of the lift any more since lockout, the most dangerous portion in my mind, always seems easier than everything below it.

And ditto on bench spotting. It's probably my weakest spot

What's OHP, Fred? And yeah I am really worried about the second type of failure, the "oh shit"

And bear with me, can you elaborate on this part? I don't quite get it

And ditto on bench spotting. It's probably my weakest spot

overhead press.

And the hard to understand part:

I always assumed that near the top of the shoulder press would be the most dangerous thing. In theory I could get out of the way and drop the bar in front of me, but in practice that seemed like.... something that would be hard to orchestrate mid-rep while panicking. The stupid incident where I lost steam mid-rep and rested the bar on my skull made me realize that the part I was worried about was the absolute easiest part of the movement, and that reacting mid-rep to failure was not as hard as I had thought.

Apologies for the clunky writing in my original post.

You'll learn the difference between "definitely safe on my next rep" and "next rep has a meaningful chance of failure" with time, I'm sure. It doesn't actually matter if you have safety bars or a spot.

overhead press.

And the hard to understand part:

I always assumed that near the top of the shoulder press would be the most dangerous thing. In theory I could get out of the way and drop the bar in front of me, but in practice that seemed like.... something that would be hard to orchestrate mid-rep while panicking. The stupid incident where I lost steam mid-rep and rested the bar on my skull made me realize that the part I was worried about was the absolute easiest part of the movement, and that reacting mid-rep to failure was not as hard as I had thought.

Apologies for the clunky writing in my original post.

You'll learn the difference between "definitely safe on my next rep" and "next rep has a meaningful chance of failure" with time, I'm sure. It doesn't actually matter if you have safety bars or a spot.

Thanks! Everything makes sense now

Yeah, I will definitely learn for sure. And I think eventually I will just have to go to the gym myself and try things out

By the way, I had a similar experience with shoulder press as yours with OHP. I was tired (which didn't help), I lost concentration for one moment, and my arms just gave out. So the bar didn't rest on my head but almost hit it. My friend said I was very lucky not to be injured

despire

Ok, decided what to after my cut is over. Gonna stick with GSLP for a little while and get the most I can out of it. After I've truly exhausted my gains from that, then I'll move over to Lyle's routine or something similar.

Here's what I've got planned. Basically the same mish-mash of GSLP and Greyskull Powerbuilding that I posted some time ago. I'm not sure if there's too much or just enough of accessory work but at least I can always strip it down if it gets in the way. Also subbed flat bench to the incline bench since I want to build my upper chest, which is seriously lacking compared to my lower chest. Also the assistance CGBP should have effect on the lower chest even though it's an "tricep exercise".

GREYSKULL LP MODIFIED

MONDAY
Press / Incline Bench 2 x 6-8
Squat 2 x 6-8

Chins / Rows 2 x 6-8
(Rear) Lateral raises 2 x 12-15 / CGBP 2 x 6-10
DB Incline Curls 2 x 12-15

WEDNESDAY
Deadlift 1 x 6-8

Chins / Rows 2 x 6-8
Barbell Drag Curls 2 x 8-12
Close Grip Cable Pulldown 2 x 6-8

FRIDAY
Squat 2 x 6-8

Chins / Rows 2 x 6-8
Barbell Curls 2 x 8-12

In any case I can't wait to finally be able to bulk properly. Smooth and slow (not too slow though!). I've spent so much time trying to recover from my dirty bulk that it's sickening. So much time wasted. Hopefully I can start properly anew and things will go a different route this time. I want to join the SwoleGAF already :)

Joining the shirtless GAF with a couple of crappy quality pictures. The black & white is from last December when I was doing CrossFit inspired training at home and weighing probably around 198lb or so. The other one is taken today, weighing ca 216lb. This year I've been focusing on strength (doing 5/3/1) with some occasional running and other cardio thrown in. Probably gonna concentrate on strength until next spring and have my first cut then..

skMycT4.jpg

YGqzIxA.jpg

Petrie

Banned
I wanna join in on the pics, but its been a fat 3-4 days while housesitting at my parents. Mini vacation and I've been enjoying it, but I'll wait till I have a few days without 400g of carbs before I take this years Summer progress pics.

Visceir

I'm rather glad there is a bench press rack in my gym that has safety railings on the side, so even if I did fail I wouldn't be stuck under the bar.

Failing is probably one of the reasons why I've dreaded doing decline bench, no clue how you'd get out of that situation if you failed to get the bar back up.

I'm rather glad there is a bench press rack in my gym that has safety railings on the side, so even if I did fail I wouldn't be stuck under the bar.

Failing is probably one of the reasons why I've dreaded doing decline bench, no clue how you'd get out of that situation if you failed to get the bar back up.

I just do DB decline bench, and whenever I hit a failing point it's just a matter of dropping the weights besides you.

Cagey

Banned
Squat-GAF, two questions

1) My right hip flexor area has some pain. How can I go about remedying this without slowing down too much on the squat train.

2) I'm a pussy when it comes to squats, afraid of getting stuck in the hole and blowing out a knee. I leave reps on the + sets on the table due to this, and finding a squat spotter who is both 1) willing and 2) able hasn't been possible. What do?

Bench-GAF, bro time.

Finally reached the PR portion of bench today on 5/3/1. 275 for 1+, gotta wreck that shit. Granted I hit 265 for more reps than the 1 rep I managed at the start, but this is the first time putting 45/45/25 on the bar. Big boy weight.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well, this is sobering. I did today my RMR, VO2max and lactate threshold tests, and after them I did a body composition analysis in a BodPod which I understand is considered one of the more reliable methods for calculating body composition.

Here's a picture of me this morning. Have a guess of the numbers and highlight to see results.

Height: 6'2
Weight:
213 lbs
Body fat %:
28.2% - OBESE
Lean mass:
154 lbs
Fat mass:
60lbs

I have so much work ahead of me to get to a meaningful place.

sphinx

the piano man
Weight:
213 lbs
Body fat %:
28.2% - OBESE
Lean mass:
154 lbs
Fat mass:
60lbs

you don't look
28..2% OBESE
in the least. Yes, you still have to work and tighten a bit but
obese
??? WTF, no way

Chittagong

Gold Member
you don't look
28..2% OBESE
in the least. Yes, you still have to work and tighten a bit but
obese
??? WTF, no way

I will get my RMR results next week, interesting to see how much I burn and what the nutritionists think.

For now, my diet will consist of... DUST.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Looking back is the best bit. Just take regular progress pics to motivate yourself. It seriously helps.

yeah it really keeps me going, looking back 7 months is like a different person. I am so glad I started taking pics back then although it was hard. I like who I am now much better. Just need to get the fat loss back on track now.

blackflag

Thread got somewhere again last night :D

Noema looking fantastic and someone you don't wanna fuck with. Amazing transformation really, didn't realize you were getting that huuge since you always call yourself a "beanpole" :D

Blackflag looking beastly as always.

Sphinx has also done very good, huge difference.

Darth's avatar, lol :p

Sean's cigar/throne pic bad ass as always.

Did I forget someone? :p

Here's a recent pic of me. Doing some woodcutting last weekend:
http://i.imgur.com/UadrsWy.jpg
Nothing much to brag about in that picture, except maybe dem traps :D

Don't downplay that bro, looking strong and lean.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Squat-GAF, two questions

1) My right hip flexor area has some pain. How can I go about remedying this without slowing down too much on the squat train.

2) I'm a pussy when it comes to squats, afraid of getting stuck in the hole and blowing out a knee. I leave reps on the + sets on the table due to this, and finding a squat spotter who is both 1) willing and 2) able hasn't been possible. What do?

Bench-GAF, bro time.

Finally reached the PR portion of bench today on 5/3/1. 275 for 1+, gotta wreck that shit. Granted I hit 265 for more reps than the 1 rep I managed at the start, but this is the first time putting 45/45/25 on the bar. Big boy weight.

Some general thoughts. For the hip flexor, stretch and roll it (look up the couch stretch for hip flexors) as well as trying something like a reverse warrior lunge stretch for your psoas if you don't do so already. Also make sure that during your squatting you have adequate dorsiflexion of the ankle and adequate torque on your hips. Since the fibres in your quads and hamstrings run north/south, not east/west, to stabilise the hips the adductors and abductors must be recruited into the movement. Try "corkscrewing" your feet into the ground (press down, heels move closer together, toes move further apart) as part of your set up, this will really keep your knees out and prevent your hips from impinging on your body in the hole. I know that at least for myself and a few people I train with, it's a world of difference from the simple "knees out" cue.

tfw a trainer at the gym was mirin my lats during lat pull downs. He wanted to take a picture too lol.

If I "make" it in time for Halloween than its time for me to go as Zombie Zyzz. Gonna get 2euros, singlet, spike my hair and dead myself up

andycapps

Obese
is not as big as people think it is.

The problem with using the term obese for people like him (and I), is what type of person is that who is riding around on their electric scooter thing with rolls of fat sliding over the sides of the seat? Morbidly obese?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
After years of managing a grocery store back in the day, those carts were just called "fat people carts" because SO rarely did we see someone with an injury use them.

I still want a kart racer with those carts. Avoid spilled product.

andycapps

After years of managing a grocery store back in the day, those carts were just called "fat people carts" because SO rarely did we see someone with an injury use them.

I still want a kart racer with those carts. Avoid spilled product.

My first job was as a cashier at Publix. Yeah, those were called the same thing for us. They were primarily used by fat people, and by us when it was late at night and we were bored.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My first job was as a cashier at Publix. Yeah, those were called the same thing for us. They were primarily used by fat people, and by us when it was late at night and we were bored.

I won't lie, once I had my employees use them with mops to mop the floors because they complained they were tired. I was a good manager. Bad for the store, good for my workers!

Then we jousted on them with mops. Why not?

asdad123

Obese
is not as big as people think it is.

Exactly. I remember my doctor said I was obese when I went for a physical a couple months ago. At this point I was working out 5 days a week, squatting 375, benching 300, and dead lifting 365. I laughed on my way out.

Fuck the BMI stuff in my opinion. It's about what you're comfortable looking at.

Got 330 on the bench today. New PR! And I'm still "obese".

6'3" , 260lb.

I saw a website before that would give you suggestions of stuff to eat based on what your remaining macros were but I can't remember what it was. Say I have 20g fat, 100g protein and however many calories and it would print out a list of foods.

Anybody seen it?

blackflag

Well, this is sobering. I did today my RMR, VO2max and lactate threshold tests, and after them I did a body composition analysis in a BodPod which I understand is considered one of the more reliable methods for calculating body composition.

Here's a picture of me this morning. Have a guess of the numbers and highlight to see results.

Weight:
213 lbs
Body fat %:
28.2% - OBESE
Lean mass:
154 lbs
Fat mass:
60lbs

You'll get there. I would have guessed
23-25%

SeanR1221

You'll get there. I would have guessed
23-25%

I was going to say the same. Either way, don't get discouraged. Remember, everyday you wake up you have some kind of improvement from the previous day. Plus, you're only 7 months into training. Imagine what you'll look like in 1.5 years, 3 years, 5 years, etc.

Thanks dude, I appreciate the support :)

You got the beginnings of a good V shape. And please tell me you did dips between those logs

jacobs34

Have my first deadlift day on 5/3/1 do people here do the extra deadlitft sets for BBB or do you guys mix it up with RDL or Good Mornings?

despire

You got the beginnings of a good V shape. And please tell me you did dips between those logs

I can't do dips anymore :'(

I used to love them and did loads last year. Then I guess they somehow fucked up my chest since if I do them now my sternum starts to hurt really bad. My guess is that the muscles/tendons around my sternum are somehow inflamed and dips aggravate them really bad. Apparently it's not even all that uncommon..

It might be this but I'm not sure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costochondritis

Anyways nothing else I do in the gym outside of dips hurt like this, which is good. It might get better if I just stopped doing chest movements but that's not gonna happen at this point of my training. I'll just have to do without dips for the time being. Would love to do them though since my bench saw great gains when I did lots of dips as an assistance. Now I just have to find a decent alternative. Thinking about CGBP.

Edit:
"...part of the confusion comes from the fact that the pectoral muscles feel more strained around the sternum from exercises like the dip. That's because they are more strained, especially if your muscles are tight and you aren't used to doing dips. But strain isn't a sign that parts of the fibers are working harder....You feel a tug because those fibers aren't used to the range of motion and are on the verge of tearing away from the breastbone."
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3047941&page=1

Oh nice... :S

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Just got enlisted by a friend who wants to put on 15 lbs. He's not really skinnyfat (more on the cut side) but does zero activity right now and has never really lifted.

He has a bet/challenge with a friend and wants to do it by October 1. My first thought was just to let him borrow my copy of SS and tell him to eat a lot more (maybe do 1/4 of a gallon of milk every day if it's tough to get the calories in).

Thoughts? Would that even be possible for him to do?

edit: Also considering suggesting Tim Ferris' Occam's Protocol from The 4-Hour Body

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom