• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Got a "your arms are just fucking massive" today. I think I've got enough inspiration and self esteem boost from that one throwaway comment to use for an entire month.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

ToxicAdam

How To Gain 20 Pounds In 28 Days: The Extreme Muscle Building Secrets of UFC Fighters
By Tim Ferris, pretty interesting, goes into the whole diet and training. Take it for what you will.

Found this part interesting (in the comments from the Doctor):

Yep, this is a great question to ask and I suspected some people would be skeptical unless we were painfully detailed about the timeline.

The weight gain experiment actually came FIRST. So, Nate started at about 170 pounds. Then he proceeded to:

-Gain 20 pounds of lean mass in 28 days (detailed in this article)
-Lose 20 pounds in 5 days (detailed in part 1)
-Gain 20 pounds in 24 hours (detailed in part 1)

In the end, I know some people will be skeptical about these experiments, not knowing us. But we’re trustworthy guys and have documented everything in painstaking detail in our free online book “Bigger Smaller Bigger” (www.biggersmallerbigger.com).

It illustrates just how amazing and adaptive our bodies are. Also, it illustrates just how much of this 'lean mass' can disappear if you don't maintain the eating/workout regimen.

They are pretty upfront about their experiment as only having applications in the fight world (where weight fluctuations are a necessity), so it's not like they are trying to pass this off as the way for everyone to go.

Although I could see someone using this program in an effort to look their best for a one time event (like a photo shoot or a tropical vacation).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any good exercises for a stiff and sore lower back? I upped my squat and deadlift on Saturday and went in for another session the following day which may not have been a good idea. My lower back was all stiff and sore yesterday, but mostly recovered by this morning. I went ahead and went to the gym again today and did squats again, but the stiffness/soreness came back to the point that I had to skip my deadlift work set.

Any advice or recommendations for exercises/stretches?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I read your post wrong, but you did squats and deadlifts 3 out of 4 days and you are wondering why you are sore?

Not wondering why it's sore, just asking for exercises to help.

Honestly, it hadn't been a problem at all up until now. I'm doing Starting Strength and the weight is still really low. Either way, squats and deadlifts are part of the program every session.

despire

This happens to me, the pain was unbearable and I put it down to being a novice at one point I almost collapsed. What can I substitute in for dips?

I'm not really sure but I think Close Grip Bench Press might be one. More focus on the triceps than normal BP but still works your chest as well.

Max? Average, bout tree-fitty.

My grip is more of an issue with shrugs and hlrs, deadlifts I'm weak off the floor.

Straps.

Not wondering why it's sore, just asking for exercises to help.

Honestly, it hadn't been a problem at all up until now. I'm doing Starting Strength and the weight is still really low. Either way, squats and deadlifts are part of the program every session.

If you are doing workouts day in and day out, you are not doing SS. GET YOUR REST :p

despire

Nice , 2lbs down since sunday morning. And I even had my refeed that night. RFLD working just fine :)

Also felt like I was getting tiny this morning, but managed to remind myself that I'm still looking the best I've ever looked and that I'm still only at the start of a very long journey.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Straps.

If you are doing workouts day in and day out, you are not doing SS. GET YOUR REST :p

There's typically a day of rest in between sessions. I just doubled up last weekend, which obviously turned out to be a mistake.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Decided on a new fitness goal:

Full split.

Used to be able to do one every which way when I was 12 years younger and training karate every week, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've even attempted a split since then. I've still retained a decent level of flexibility considering I rarely stretch (just check out my squat videos), but I really miss the splits, man.

So, what do you guys give me? I plan on doing no more than 10 minute splits/stretches every single day. It'll be a similar regiment to what we would do in the dojo, so hopefully my body has retained some muscle memory from then.

One month? Two months? Three?

BTW, if anyone has any advice, please share.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I lifted quite a bit yesterday and although was sore for several hours right after, I feel fine today. Should I still rest or is it okay to continue lifting?

sphinx

the piano man
Full split.

I've been working on that for about a year but not very consistent or serious about it, every workout session I do specific harmstring stretching that should bring me towards that goal but the stretching I do is mainly to wake up my body and do jogging and lifting warm.

I have a couple of exercises I do to try to improve flexibility, I could do some pics/gifs and send them to you and you can see if you find them useful.

I can only do around 80% :p and only left leg to the front, the other way around is impossible, my hip hurts.

Found this part interesting (in the comments from the Doctor):

It illustrates just how amazing and adaptive our bodies are. Also, it illustrates just how much of this 'lean mass' can disappear if you don't maintain the eating/workout regimen.

They are pretty upfront about their experiment as only having applications in the fight world (where weight fluctuations are a necessity), so it's not like they are trying to pass this off as the way for everyone to go.

Although I could see someone using this program in an effort to look their best for a one time event (like a photo shoot or a tropical vacation).

Maybe, Ed Coan said he was trying to make 165 once and ended up at 166. Two hours later he weighed in for 181 and was over 178.

Hey guys, I have a health related question. I'm currently cutting (also using Animal Cuts suplement) so I have a nutrition plan devoted to it. I've been cutting about 1.5 months now. Yesterday, I came back from working out around 10pm, I did back exercises (deadlift was one of em) and I did two shoulder exercises. When I did the deadlift, I got dizzier than I was used to. I ate my meal at about 10.15 pm. About an hour later, I started to get a liiiiiitle nauseous. So I continued my daily routine ad went to play Xbox for a little while, another hour later, I felt properly nautious so I decided to go to bed, this was around 12.30 am ( I know sleep is important, I sleep about 8 hours a night). I went to bed to wake up in the morning and not feel nauseous and just be done with it. When I laid down, hell was upon me. I never felt so dizzy in my life (uninfluenced). I've drank alcohol in the past before and have had some bad hangovers, and this came close to that. The whole room was spinning. Today I'm still feeling a bit nauseous, and I get a little dizzy when I stand up from lying down (I'm currently in bed).

I think this is a result of traning too hard with too little food. Do you guys have any experience with this?

Edit: So I did some research and my symptoms come closest to "postprandial hypotension". Basically I didn't have enough food and water yesterday, which is bad, especially since I'm taking Animal Cuts. Today, I'm supposed to:
- Stand up or sit, avoid laying down in bed -> I've been in bed for about 9 hour since 9am (It's 3pm now).
- Eat multiple meals, spread over a day and reduce sugar intake -> I thought I was low on energy so I've some sugar in the morning with breakfast

I'm really embarassed since old people are usually bother by this.. I'm fucking 22 man.

Same friend with the Captains of Crush gripper also just got some straps (and Fat Gripz which are AWESOME for curls/rows) so I'll just add those to the list of "shit I am going to borrow"

I've felt a little fainty before after a really heavy deadlift (ears buzzing, a bit of tunnel vision) but I just drop to one knee and breathe deep for a few seconds and it goes away. I think your hypothesis is right on the money, and if you ate a meal vice having a shake it probably didn't get into your system fast enough to prevent the nausea.

I think this is a result of traning too hard with too little food. Do you guys have any experience with this?

No long term dizziness from training no, usually it goes away with a few hours of getting a little food in me and rest post workout if it gets that bad at all.

Putting too much on yourself in terms of diet and working out can wreak havoc on your CNS though which can cause a whole host of issues.

I'd just take it easy and go a little lighter next go around. You may have an infection as well that we don't know about.

Edit: So I did some research and my symptoms come closest to "postprandial hypotension". Basically I didn't have enough food and water yesterday, which is bad, especially since I'm taking Animal Cuts. Today, I'm supposed to:
- Stand up or sit, avoid laying down in bed -> I've been in bed for about 9 hour since 9am (It's 3pm now).
- Eat multiple meals, spread over a day and reduce sugar intake -> I thought I was low on energy so I've some sugar in the morning with breakfast

I'm really embarassed since old people are usually bother by this.. I'm fucking 22 man.

protip: never try to self diagnose online

It's almost never worth the inherent stress you get by thinking you may have something you don't. Even at 22 the impacts of stress can mimick the symptoms of chronic diseases, so there's really no point in getting your anxiety up for something that's almost always a falsehood.

nilbog21

Banned
anyone here have any experience with ITBS, or Runners knee? I've been foam rolling my IT bands and i'm about to go run for the first time in a week since I last had ITBS. Anything I can do to prevent my knee from flaring up during my run? I was thinking about taking antiinflammatories before I run, but I don't like the idea of masking pain..my body is probably trying to tell me something...

I have no infections and/or allergies I know about. I have take my diet seriously. Yesterday was sort of an off day for me.. I didn't have enough water and food. I did a couple of things wrong:
- Like I said, not enough water/food
- When I got home from the gym, I took a shower, which is bad because it affected the blood regulation negatively in my case
- After a meal, the body focusses on the stomach and blood pressure dropped in the rest of my body.

It was bound to happen, I'm glad I experienced it really. Makes me extra careful. It was really weird yesterday. I couldn't balance really well after taking the stairs nearly falling/fainting.

protip: never try to self diagnose online

It's almost never worth the inherent stress you get by thinking you may have something you don't. Even at 22 the impacts of stress can mimick the symptoms of chronic diseases, so there's really no point in getting your anxiety up for something that's almost always a falsehood.

You're right, I've had some bad experience with self diagnosis before. But also some good ones. In this case, it adds up. I did I couple of things I wasn't suppoed to do which was stated in the description of the "illness" and I got the symptoms of the "illness".

Your overthinking things a bit I think.

Sometimes our bodies just work oppositely to logic.

For whatever reason a good chicken quesadilla from taco bell as a cheat item after a hard few days of cutting/working out completely takes away my symptoms.

oh shit son

Just got a ton of quest bars

yea bruh

Cagey

Banned
275x3 on bench last night. The feels were so good, both the figurative "fuck yeah" and the literal "welp I'm light headed lemme sit down for a bit".

I'll have to reset this 5/3/1 on bench soon because that three was an insane amount of effort, but I want to push this and hit 295x1 before I reset on bench.

Although 2 plates and a 35 is just such an enormous cocktease.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I've just discovered Trader Joe's liquid egg whites.

MY GOD THE CONVENIENCE

That, and their low-carb, low-calorie whole wheat tortillas.

2 egg white omellete + tortilla + mustard + hot sauce + some veggies = amazing 100-calorie snack

Matugi

I think lifting is getting in the way of my golf game

Vc8B01f.jpg

Gruco

Banned
Squated 155 today. First time it felt like the weight increase was moving faster than my strength gains. Think I'll do 165 on Friday, but after that probably time to drop down to 5 pound increases per workout.

Also deadlifted 155. Still not quite sure where my limit on that one is...we'll see how sore I am tomorrow. Busy day of eating ahead!

Fitness-GAF, bros, I need some suggestions.

I've been getting in much better shape, progressively, for the past year. I was an athlete (baseball and soccer) up until about JR year of high school, but didn't participate beyond that period. I was slight build most of my college, after-college years, then packed on a little weight by being lazy and unhealthy for about 3 years. Now I'm in the best shape of my life, thanks to changing pretty much every aspect of my diet, wellness, etc.
My upper body is getting stronger and more toned, my lower body is coming together... things are going well. I'm putting on more weight, but converting it to muscle.

I'm having a hell of a time with my neck under my chin. My actual neck strength is increasing, however. It seems by adding more mass to convert to muscle through my body, my face and chin-neck aren't adapting. My jawline is looking stronger head-on, but my profile still has a bit of a double-chin. I want to tighten that up.

Are there any good neck/jaw/face exercises you guys use for a more toned face, neck, and chin?

I don't have a weak chin by any means, but this is still the one area that isn't improving along with the rest of my body.
I read about some basic neck/jaw exercises online, but I wanted to advise with GAF to see if there are any tricks out there that I can use.

Thanks in advance, guys.

For extra specifics:

Height: 5ft 8in
Weight: 165lbs
Current Training Equipment Available: Bowflex, free weights

nilbog21

Banned
Fitness-GAF, bros, I need some suggestions.

I've been getting in much better shape, progressively, for the past year. I was an athlete (baseball and soccer) up until about JR year of high school, but didn't participate beyond that period. I was slight build most of my college, after-college years, then packed on a little weight by being lazy and unhealthy for about 3 years. Now I'm in the best shape of my life, thanks to changing pretty much every aspect of my diet, wellness, etc.
My upper body is getting stronger and more toned, my lower body is coming together... things are going well. I'm putting on more weight, but converting it to muscle.

I'm having a hell of a time with my neck under my chin. My actual neck strength is increasing, however. It seems by adding more mass to convert to muscle through my body, my face and chin-neck aren't adapting. My jawline is looking stronger head-on, but my profile still has a bit of a double-chin. I want to tighten that up.

Are there any good neck/jaw/face exercises you guys use for a more toned face, neck, and chin?

I don't have a weak chin by any means, but this is still the one area that isn't improving along with the rest of my body.
I read about some basic neck/jaw exercises online, but I wanted to advise with GAF to see if there are any tricks out there that I can use.

Thanks in advance, guys.

For extra specifics:

Height: 5ft 8in
Weight: 165lbs
Current Training Equipment Available: Bowflex, free weights

the most effective way to lose your double chin is by running. you cannot target fat loss

Anyone know of any decent priced nation wide gyms?

The dumbbells only go to 60 at my gym and my gains are going to suffer if that's all I've got to work with

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Attempt number 3 at the 45lb muscle up today. First time was a success and second time was a fail. I'll video it and post if successful.

Kyaw

Guys, how do I get over a mental problem with doing cleans?

I know I can do a certain weight because I've done it before with relative ease and now I just can't catch the weight because my mind's not telling the body to dip down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom