• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
Depends on what your goal is and how your body responds, my biceps & traps don't really respond to the less is more approach, I've tried it and it didn't work. Once I started going with overkill that's when I got the results I wanted.

yeah, I kind of agree on this. The biceps particularly are muscles that can be trained mostly through curling and nothing else else (I personally don't know of any other motion besides curling that actives the bicep on isiolation)

wann use the EZ bar? you'll curl. the preacher? yes, to curl too,

Dumbells? Barbells? Cables? yes, to curl as well.

So if one has a dedicated day for arms, curling in its many variations is almost a certainity.

WorldStar

Banned
what's the consensus on sipping protein during workouts? I've heard so much mixed info on this.

lately I've been spending about 2 hrs at the gym each session, so I've incorporated sipping protein while at the gym (1 hr of lifting weights, 1 hour of cardio. i know i should ideally try to separate my 1 hr cardio sessions from my 1 hr weight lifting sessions, but it doesn't always work out that way). thoughts?

Depends on what your goal is and how your body responds, my biceps & traps don't really respond to the less is more approach, I've tried it and it didn't work. Once I started going with overkill that's when I got the results I wanted.

same, my biceps seemed to respond much better when I greatly increased the volume of exercises I did

yeah, I kind of agree on this. The biceps particularly are muscles that can be trained mostly through curling and nothing else else (I personally don't know of any other motion besides curling that actives the bicep on isiolation)

So if one has a dedicated day for arms, curling in its many variations is almost a certainity.

not an isolation, but chinups have done wonders for my biceps

Petrie

Banned

The point is most people would be better served putting that effort into something else. Bgeinners don't need to do that, it's a waste of their time and effort.

Petrie

Banned
I'm going to be curling a ton. Same concept will go for my traps and tris. Lots of weight and reps. Time for them to grow.

And you're at the level where that makes sense, you know how your body works and have a solid base. I work my biceps 3 times a week, on every day except bench/triceps day. I do various curls on my 5/3/1 squat, deads, and OHP days. I spent 2 years getting to this point though and now know that the aesthetics of my biceps are a priority, and that I have that base to work from where I can OHP my bodyweight, squat nearly 2x, deadlift 2.5x, and bench nearly 1.5x, so I am in a place to make that decision with education and experience behind it.

you look great but it seems to me you need to have a single digit bf to have them visible?

He has visible abs at 12%. You're confusing visible with "well-defined cut 6-pack".

And you're at the level where that makes sense, you know how your body works and have a solid base. I work my biceps 3 times a week, on every day except bench/triceps day. I do various curls on my 5/3/1 squat, deads, and OHP days. I spent 2 years getting to this point though and now know that the aesthetics of my biceps are a priority, and that I have that base to work from where I can OHP my bodyweight, squat nearly 2x, deadlift 2.5x, and bench nearly 1.5x, so I am in a place to make that decision with education and experience behind it.

Agreed. I wrote my comment was made before I saw your post so please don't think I was trying to "counter" your statement :)

On the arms note, what do you do? It is just a few curls and tri movements and that's it? I'm trying to figure out how many exercises I should dedicate to arms.

you look great but it seems to me you need to have a single digit bf to have them visible?

They are visible, they just aren't "popping". I'm trying to make abs/core more of a priority for the rest of the year. So that if I am at 12%, they would show off more. If you are talking shredded, then yeah, they aren't very visible.

sphinx

the piano man
not an isolation, but chinups have done wonders for my biceps

oh yeah, I knew I was forgetting something. You are right and those are hard. A set with 10 reps with complete ROM is no easy task.

The point is most people would be better served putting that effort into something else. Bgeinners don't need to do that, it's a waste of their time and effort.

yeah, I agree on that too. If a beginner is mindlessly curling instead of doing more importants things, then I'd be against it too.

sorry if I am msitaking you but you just started training some weeks ago, am I right?

my advice would be to try to focus in others things instead of looking for the abs so early in your fitness life. Sure,keep an eye on that and try different things to try to get there but don't get too obsessed with that, Train them with leg raises, the compounds, etc, and they'll arrive and you will see what BF% you need to reach to have them visible.

Petrie

Banned
well thats obviously what I meant? I want to have defined 6pack so I suppose its only possible with single digit bf

Then say that, because that isn't obvious to anyone but you. Visible abs does not mean a well-defined 6-pack. It means visible abs, which 12-15% BF gives most men.

Agreed. I wrote my comment was made before I saw your post so please don't think I was trying to "counter" your statement :)

On the arms note, what do you do? It is just a few curls and tri movements and that's it? I'm trying to figure out how many exercises I should dedicate to arms.

Oh not at all my friend, I was backing you up while still explaining to a newbie why that makes sense for you, ut not them.

Depends on my mood and the day of the week. 2 days a week I workout on lunch, so I do my 5/3/1 squat sets, then I will superset barbell curls with calf raises, and that's it. 3-4 sets depending on sets.

The 2 days I have morer time I just do whatever I remember I haven't done in awhile: 3-4 sets of 12-21 reps varying between barbell curls, reverse curls, dumbbell curls, hammer curls, concentration curls, preacher curls and occasionally one of these with a machine. That's about it. I do them 3 days a week, but don't take it "seriously". Just do whatever feels right that day. So long as whatever lift I'm doing I at least meet or exceed the last time I did that lift, I feel like I'm growing, and the results show.

oh yeah, I knew I was forgetting something. You are right and those are hard. A set with 10 reps with complete ROM is no easy task.

yeah, I agree on that too. If a beginner is mindlessly curling instead of doing more importants things, then I'd be against it too.

sorry if I am msitaking you but you just started training some weeks ago, am I right?

my advice would be to try to focus in others things instead of looking for the abs so early in your fitness life. Sure,keep an eye on that and try different things to try to get there but don't get too obsessed with that, Train them with leg raises, the compounds, etc, and they'll arrive and you will see what BF% you need to reach to have them visible.

I dont know if my goal is impossible but I was thinking like:

Training hard and eating right for 12 months(1 month in currently), go from 76,5 kg to 90 kg and then cut for 4 months to get down to 81 kg. In my mind I thought I'd have visible 6 pack after all that :x

Petrie

Banned
I dont know if my goal is impossible but I was thinking like:

Training hard and eating right for 12 months(1 month in currently), go from 76,5 kg to 90 kg and then cut for 4 months to get down to 81 kg. In my mind I thought I'd have visible 6 pack after all that :x

Possible? Sure. But nobodu can know what results you'll have after the 12 months even, so who knows?

sphinx

the piano man

I don't think it works like that :(

experienced guys with years in this discipline are still on their way to achieve that and not because they slack off but because it takes time, it's just how it is.

it seems you want to attain the abs of a Cooter or a MrOogieBoogie in one year.

think about that for a second.

I don't think it works like that :(

experienced guys with years in this discipline are still on their way to achieve that and not because they slack off but because it takes time, it's just how it is.

it seems you want to attain the abs of a Cooter or a MrOogieBoogie in one year.

think about that for a second.

Well, the guy in I want to look like that guy video did it in 9 months? And he's over 40 (!)

Petrie

Banned
Care to explain?

Also, as I mentioned earlier. My father had a 6 pack without even going to the gym in his 30s

It means such claims are almost universally bullshit, and that your father had great genes, congrats to him, doesn't mean they were passed to you, nor that such things mean anything until you're that age.

You don't have well-documented resources on his diet and activity either, so you can't use that to mean anything.

yesterday was my second day attempting muscle-ups (with a little bit of a swing). i think i might have done 20+ in total strewn throughout my workout, but i could only manage 3 consecutive reps each time i attempted. i'm thinking it was mainly due to my grip weakening.

any advice on getting the reps up (pun intended)?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
overall health/strength/stamina. I've had some issues with clicky joints, but this has been improving my energy, my outlook on life, body, etc.

I was doing regular bench press in my routine, but my shoulder clicked, have substitued in the incline press. Was wondering if I could get some thoughts on this as far as fixing the imbalance, because I'm certain that's all it is.

What's your form like on bench? Have you tried a wider grip, or pressing with a 1" board on your chest? You should also look into your general shoulder health: internal and external rotation strength and range of movement, scapular positioning etc...

SeanR1221

Lol, I actually enjoy doing 3 different shrugs in one workout. I just really like shrugging.

I usually don't mix BB and DB shrugs, but incorporate other stuff that can be augmented to target traps. Obviously back lifts.

I used to have some really shitty traps a ocuple of years ago, they still aren' beastly, but way better

Oops, didn't mean to post twice.

But you guys aren't close to beginners ;)

Someone starting out doesn't need to worry about those things. If I saw someone like Darth in my gym it would be obvious they've been at this a long time.

Salsa. I mean this in the nicest way possible. I'm not trying to be rude.

Shut up and train.

Stop worrying about every tiny detail. Just train.

Petrie

Banned
But you guys aren't close to beginners ;)

Someone starting out doesn't need to worry about those things. If I saw someone like Darth in my gym it would be obvious they've been at this a long time.

Salsa. I mean this in the nicest way possible. I'm not trying to be rude.

Shut up and train.

Stop worrying about every tiny detail. Just train.

Sean dropping those Shogun-like truth bombs.

They grow up so fast.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So with SS it says 3 sets of 5... so how heavy should I go for each exercise? Do you still pyramid up on the 3 sets of 5, or is it all the same weight?

Also for dead lift, everybody lists doing 1 set of 5, so I have no idea what weight to start with. Like I said I'm a noob at all of this, and deadlifts/squats were difficult for me with a knee problem I've been recovering from. What's a good weight to start with though on the Deadlifts?

edit- also when do you consider someone out of the "beginner" phase. I've been lifting now for about 9 months. I was on a diet for a nice big chunk of this, but I'm back to making gains on everything now that I'm off. Is SS still right for me?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
3 Spicy Chicken Burgers, Baconator, large Fuitopia and fries.

Swole Turkey from all this chicken.

Arms now 18" at 194.

IMG_2230_zpsfa4687c5.jpg

In other news, I stopped doing Kroc Rows in this new gym because they have so many fancy weird machines for back that I thought I'd give them a shot, since I'm only going to attent for 4 weeks and then it's back to my usual gym. And honestly, I fucking hate Kroc Rows so every excuse to not do them seemed very alluring.

I gotta ask, what do you hate about Kroc Rows so much?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is there a certain app you guys use to track your routines / how much weight you are lifting? I'm going to start the one in the OP and was curious if there is a better way than pen and paper or taking notes on my phone.

ProGym. It tracks sets for both weight and volume. I have found it's good for ensuring progress. It also times rest between sets to ensure intensity. Backs up to SkyDrive.

ec4886b1-1f20-4b88-89a6-d134f66d29da

6aaa8852-34e8-42a0-b8db-624aa0cec7d7

54d3a982-1083-483a-ae9f-227ee3aa725b

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So with SS it says 3 sets of 5... so how heavy should I go for each exercise? Do you still pyramid up on the 3 sets of 5, or is it all the same weight?

Also for dead lift, everybody lists doing 1 set of 5, so I have no idea what weight to start with. Like I said I'm a noob at all of this, and deadlifts/squats were difficult for me with a knee problem I've been recovering from. What's a good weight to start with though on the Deadlifts?

edit- also when do you consider someone out of the "beginner" phase. I've been lifting now for about 9 months. I was on a diet for a nice big chunk of this, but I'm back to making gains on everything now that I'm off. Is SS still right for me?

Same weight across all sets. Choose a weight that you can manage for 3 sets of 5 but that also isn't a total cakewalk. If in doubt go lighter, the rate of progress means you will catch up soon enough. As of whether the program is suitable for you, from your post I gather that you haven't squatted or deadlifted with much regularity (correct me if I'm wrong). In that case yes. Someone could have been training for ten years but if they can't squat and deadlift comfortably above their bodyweight or bench close to it then a simple linear progression like SS would be the most effective program they could do.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Could anyone tell me if these macros for a nice, lean bulk sound about right?

Used this site to calculate values.

Current weight: 141 lbs and ~7.5% body fat

For a lean bulk (very active person):

Total calories: 2818
Carbs: 436.6
Protein: 141
Fat: 56.4

I've been eating at such low carbs for so long now (anywhere from 50g to 150g) that 400+ seems insane to me. Are my concerns unfounded?

But I'll admit, I am sick of cutting or even just maintaining my weight right now. It's getting so mentally exhausting. I hate not having enough energy. Somehow I've progressed on all my workouts, so I imagine my strength will absolutely explode if I start eating 1000 more calories/day, mostly in the form of carbs.

you warm up up to the working weight, and do 3 sets of 5 with the same weight

I find 135 is a great weight to start, but if you can't do it, do 115 with a 45 under the plates.

If you haven't done a serious beginner program, you are pretty much still a n00b. Starting Strength considers you to stop being a n00b after you have stalled 2 times and then do a bigger reset and then fail again on a weight on any given lift. Example:

SQUAT (all 3x5)
215 OK
225 FAIL 1
225 OK
235 FAIL 1
235 FAIL 2
235 OK
245 FAIL 1
245 FAIL 2
245 FAIL 3 (This is considered a stall)
225 Reset 1@90% of 5RM, OK
235 OK
240 OK
245 FAIL 1
245 FAIL 2
245 FAIL 3 (STALL 1)
225 Reset 2@90% of 5RM, OK
230 OK
235 OK
240 OK
245 FAIL 1
245 FAIL 2
245 FAIL 3 (STALL 2)
xxx Intensive reset (warm ups only)
225 OK
235 OK
240 OK
245 FAIL 1
245 FAIL 2
245 FAIL 3 (STALL 3)

Congratulations you are no longer a beginner...

You graduate if you reset twice on the squat with no avail and once in the deadlift.
You graduate if you do an intensive reset with no avail
You graduate if you stall on multiple lifts.

despire

I tend to do stuff overkill lol. Starting strength will achieve my goals faster then? Also any advice on balancing my shoulders?

edit- also in SS, it requires a regular bench press, but at the moment, my clicking shoulder is too much of a mental block for me to do regular press.

Just use the Incline Bench Press. No prob.

sphinx

the piano man
what is a safe way to bail out of a heavy squat?

I will use the power rack with safety metals bars to the side so I can go for that PRs.

say I am down ATG and I can't go back up. Do I just open my hands and open/push with my shoulders/traps so as to let the bar go so that it falls on the safety bars or is there more to it?

I don't want to look on youtube because watching failed reps on compounds gives me nightmares...-_-

deadbeef

what is a safe way to bail out of a heavy squat?

I will use the power rack with safety metals bars to the side so I can go for that PRs.

say I am down ATG and I can't go back up. Do I just open my hands and open/push with my shoulders/traps so as to let the bar go so that it falls on the safety bars or is there more to it?

I don't want to look on youtube because watching failed reps on compounds gives me nightmares...-_-

It's sort of that at the same time as leaning forward a bit. You should practice it with a medium to heavy weight

Scales are pissing me off.

Ive gotten bigger (muscle) and lost fat, I can visually feel and see the difference and yet my BF% has remained the same for 8 god damn weeks.

Do scales just do some rough BMI calculation based on your height and weight?

Theyre just crappy £20 scales from a supermarket.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Scales are pissing me off.

Ive gotten bigger (muscle) and lost fat, I can visually feel and see the difference and yet my BF% has remained the same for 8 god damn weeks.

Do scales just do some rough BMI calculation based on your height and weight?

Theyre just crappy £20 scales from a supermarket.

I have found bodyfat measurements complete bullshit. I have been measured this week at 28% bf (BodPod), 21% (Withings wifi scale), 18% (Virgin Active measure system with feet and hand grips), all with three repeat measures each.

so I am either nearly morbidly obese, optimal body fat or very lean. Doesn't help.

It's best go by the mirror and photos, and pinch/grab by hand.

BMI has almost no relevance to people who have lifted for a while.

Lol scale bf% are the worst.

Am I stuck with visual clues for the remainder of my cut?

I have found bodyfat measurements complete bullshit. I have been measured this week at 28% bf (BodPod), 21% (Withings), 18% (Virgin Active), all with three repeat measures each.

so I am either nearly morbidly obese, optimal body fat or very lean. Doesn't help.

It's best go by the mirror and photos, and pinch/grab by hand.

BMI has almost no relevance to people who have lifted for a while.

Yeh i've ignored BMI for a while now. Ive dropped nearly a stone in 9 weeks. From 184lb down to 171lb and BF has been the same throughout. I might just stop weighing myself completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom