• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Am I stuck with visual clues for the remainder of my cut?

If you have an iPhone (it might be on androids too) grab the app body shot and start taking monthly progress pics. The app is nice because then you have a place to store all your half nude pics lol plus it makes it easy to compare two shots side by side.

If you have an iPhone (it might be on androids too) grab the app body shot and start taking monthly progress pics. The app is nice because then you have a place to store all your half nude pics lol plus it makes it easy to compare two shots side by side.

Ive got progress pics but I haven't been doing them monthly. I usually do them when I reach am obvious change. But at my size now I suppose the visual change wont be as obvious.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ive got progress pics but I haven't been doing them monthly. I usually do them when I reach am obvious change. But at my size now I suppose the visual change wont be as obvious.

best make it a habit to do it in the same spot, same pose, same lighting and same clothes.

I do it in my boxers, with heels centered on the middle tile, right hand holding camera at chest and left hand at hips.

it's by far the best measure I have.

MjFrancis

Last week I said I'd begin sprinting up stadium steps again after a two month abstention. It only took me four sessions to return to form, but holy crap did I begin slow! Running up fifty-plus steps eight times took me:

Session 1 - 6:58
Session 2 - 6:02
Session 3 - 5:36
Session 4 - 4:55

I've never gone for an exact time but five minutes is about where I should be for eight trips. Now I'll either add a third session per week and/or incrementally increase the number of trips up the steps until I hit a dozen. Or maybe I'll keep it at two sessions and jog 5k or hike sometime during the week. Either way I'm pleased to be performing some sort of conditioning again. I'm long overdue for a hike, too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Last week I said I'd begin sprinting up stadium steps again after a two month abstention. It only took me four sessions to return to form, but holy crap did I begin slow! Running up fifty-plus steps eight times took me:

Session 1 - 6:58
Session 2 - 6:02
Session 3 - 5:36
Session 4 - 4:55

I've never gone for an exact time but five minutes is about where I should be for eight trips. Now I'll either add a third session per week and/or incrementally increase the number of trips up the steps until I hit a dozen. Or maybe I'll keep it at two sessions and jog 5k or hike sometime during the week. Either way I'm pleased to be performing some sort of conditioning again. I'm long overdue for a hike, too.

Stadium steps are probably the most demonic, horrible, diabolical thing in the world and I will never, EVER do them. Just hearing that you're doing these makes me want to save you, or make you stop, and I tear up and I start shaking and I say NEVER AGAIN! NEVER AGAIN!

Pure misery. Glad you're able to soldier through it. You're a better man than I am...

MjFrancis

Stadium steps are probably the most demonic, horrible, diabolical thing in the world and I will never, EVER do them. Just hearing that you're doing these makes me want to save you, or make you stop, and I tear up and I start shaking and I say NEVER AGAIN! NEVER AGAIN!

Pure misery. Glad you're able to soldier through it. You're a better man than I am...
Lol, thanks Sunflower! I look at it like this - even at my slowest, it will all be over in seven minutes!

Hiking is getting pretty brutal, too. I carry my son with me, and he isn't getting any lighter! I get a small taste of what it felt like for my wife to hike with me when she was pregnant.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Had a killer shoulder/tri day yesterday. Was 180 in the morning and managed 190x4 on OHP and 265x4 on CGBP.

There's also a new guy that I only seem to see on Thursdays who is the one guy I see even get close to doing pull ups as well as me. He walks around like he owns the place which makes me want to switch back day to Thursday. lol

Zoe

Scales are pissing me off.

Ive gotten bigger (muscle) and lost fat, I can visually feel and see the difference and yet my BF% has remained the same for 8 god damn weeks.

Do scales just do some rough BMI calculation based on your height and weight?

Theyre just crappy £20 scales from a supermarket.

BF% != BMI

Scales calculate your BF% by sending a current through your body. BMI is just weight vs height.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Noticed two regular looking guys doing a recognizable pattern of squat to press to deadlift. After counting multiple 5 reps work sets I had enough evidence to ask whether they are fellow SSers. Turns out they were doing Stronglifts. Cool to see people doing the basics.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Had a killer shoulder/tri day yesterday. Was 180 in the morning and managed 190x4 on OHP and 265x4 on CGBP.

There's also a new guy that I only seem to see on Thursdays who is the one guy I see even get close to doing pull ups as well as me. He walks around like he owns the place which makes me want to switch back day to Thursday. lol

Coot Mode.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Had a VERY tough workout last night at the gym. Set a new PR on OHP - but man, did I feel it. Couldn't sleep, my body ached. No doubt I overdid it. Felt real ill too. Blurrrrrgh. I guess I just come here to complain so uh, well, shit.

Today's lifts will be:

Squat 325x3x5 2nd chance
Bench 195x3x5
Deadlift 355x1x5
Arms

I am still deadlifting 1.5 times a week. I wish I was deadlifting less, but my lifts are still going up so it's time to soldier on

Matugi

Would love to work out today but I got terribly sunburnt on the beach yesterday, can't even lay on my back. But on the bright side I got to meet up with a wonderful girl with whom I'll be going to college in two weeks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
After yesterday's rough-ass gym day I feel like breaking my macros and eating the fuck out of taco bell. My IF window's about to come up and I want to get stupid! Guys, encourage me to do this!

Cooter

After yesterday's rough-ass gym day I feel like breaking my macros and eating the fuck out of taco bell. My IF window's about to come up and I want to get stupid! Guys, encourage me to do this!
Fuck Taco Bell! Get some burgers, new york cheese pizza, Haggan Daz, or a cheesesteak!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck Taco Bell! Get some burgers, new york cheese pizza, Haggan Daz, or a cheesesteak!

Cheesesteak..................
Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

I should just get everything I can get my hands on. Comfort eating to the MAX.

my slightly fat ass is going to popeyes and taco bell

then next week, I will be all around the bay area eating whatever. $100 a day limit for food? no problem.

my lean body gg

hello gainz

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
my slightly fat ass is going to popeyes and taco bell

then next week, I will be all around the bay area eating whatever. $100 a day limit for food? no problem.

my lean body gg

hello gainz

Lean is overrated

that's the excuse I use as for why I am not lean...yet

10-12% fo life! Sweet spot!

I agree. I think that is the best number for to be at. It is something you can maintain without having to go crazy.

But my end game is Tanahashi and he is higher than that so suck it. HERE WE GO.

LARIATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I agree. I think that is the best number for to be at. It is something you can maintain without having to go crazy.

But my end game is Tanahashi and he is higher than that so suck it. HERE WE GO.

LARIATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~

G1 minor spoiler for Tanahashi's attitude:

apparently he's working a minor heel turn. When you gonna go heel on fit-gaf Uguu~Edge?

sphinx

the piano man
Lean is overrated

I agree. Today was hot and germans always use that as an excuse to go around almost naked.

I see plenty of guys with that kind of look, you know, the "I've been starving for months in order to show abs on days like this" look.

If thats their goal, that's cool, respect, but I find that kind of physique so incredibly boring.

G1 minor spoiler for Tanahashi's attitude:

apparently he's working a minor heel turn. When you gonna go heel on fit-gaf Uguu~Edge?

do what I gotta do man.

His body is weird to me. Sometimes he looks lean while in other parts he just looks like a big dood with muscle. Meh. Give me those "fat man" abs, if that makes any sense. Guys who are 15%ish but all their muscle is still popping out because they have that much lbm.

stupid genetics. The Asian in me is holding me down hard #glassceiling

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
do what I gotta do man.

His body is weird to me. Sometimes he looks lean while in other parts he just looks like a big dood with muscle. Meh. Give me those "fat man" abs, if that makes any sense. Guys who are 15%ish but all their muscle is still popping out because they have that much lbm.

Like Bob Sapp when he was 380 lbs and still had a six pack?

Z1FYjpA.jpg

Yeah. That or Uhaa Nation

uhaa1.jpg

If I had a bigger chest, then the fact that I have some fat at the stomach wouldn't bother me. There are times where I look like I am pregnant for how far my stomach can stick out lol

Szu

do what I gotta do man.

stupid genetics. The Asian in me is holding me down hard #glassceiling

E. Honda?
Ehonda-hdstance.gif

SeanR1221

So as my bench/OHP goes up my dips/chins after are getting harder and harder. I'm assuming this is perfectly normal, right?

Like I hit a new rep pr on bench today, and only managed 10,10,9 weighted (at 10lbs) and 8,5 body weight dips. On the last set my tris and shoulders felt absolutely fried.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I weighed in today as I will every Friday. Pretty please with the results as I'm down 8.2lbs. I've done this a time or two so I know it's mostly water weight and the weight won't come off as quickly in the following weeks. Feels good to see the scale move that much though. Right now I'm doing the slow carb diet and 30 minutes of cardio daily. I had a lifting plan worked out as well but my body is adjusting to the diet and I don't have the energy to lift yet. Hoping I will get acclimated to the diet of the next few weeks so I can add the lifting to my routine.

I swear, the worst part of going on a diet is the way other dudes react to it. A lot of, "quit being a bitch" and trying to tempt me with bad food.

Here's my progress so far:

date_______________7/28/2013___8/2/2013
weight_____________268.2_______260
lost to date ________0___________8.2
pounds to lose______68.2________ 60
percentage of goal___0___________0.12
days to go _________185_________180
goal 200 pounds 200 200

Cooter

So as my bench/OHP goes up my dips/chins after are getting harder and harder. I'm assuming this is perfectly normal, right?

Like I hit a new rep pr on bench today, and only managed 10,10,9 weighted (at 10lbs) and 8,5 body weight dips. On the last set my tris and shoulders felt absolutely fried.
Switch days so you can get more out of them. But yeah, killing it and fatiguing yourself on bench will impact your dips if you are doing them after.

abuC

LOL, some little old lady looked at me and said "Wow you have a lot of muscles" and I jokingly told her I do a lot of yoga.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Could anyone tell me if these macros for a nice, lean bulk sound about right?

Used this site to calculate values.

Current weight: 141 lbs and ~7.5% body fat

For a lean bulk (very active person):

Total calories: 2818
Carbs: 436.6
Protein: 141
Fat: 56.4

I've been eating at such low carbs for so long now (anywhere from 50g to 150g) that 400+ seems insane to me. Are my concerns unfounded?

But I'll admit, I am sick of cutting or even just maintaining my weight right now. It's getting so mentally exhausting. I hate not having enough energy. Somehow I've progressed on all my workouts, so I imagine my strength will absolutely explode if I start eating 1000 more calories/day, mostly in the form of carbs.

Thoughts, guys?

I think I should opt for a more traditional 25/50/25 split or whatever it is. That would put me at around 330g carbs, 160g protein, and 75g of fat, which seems better suited for my goals, no? (Lean bulk to 170lbs).

Scales are pissing me off.

Ive gotten bigger (muscle) and lost fat, I can visually feel and see the difference and yet my BF% has remained the same for 8 god damn weeks.

Do scales just do some rough BMI calculation based on your height and weight?

Theyre just crappy £20 scales from a supermarket.

all a scale has to go on is literally weight so it's not going to be able to give you any feedback for body recomp.

I got some calipers.

Any recommendations to someone doing SS without access to any machines who can't do many pull or chin ups (like 1 lol)?

I feel I'm falling behind in my back and arms because I can't get much of a workout on these.

Cooter

Thoughts, guys?

I think I should opt for a more traditional 25/50/25 split or whatever it is. That would put me at around 330g carbs, 160g protein, and 75g of fat, which seems better suited for my goals, no? (Lean bulk to 170lbs).
I would up the caloroes by 300 or 400 and bump up the protein but I don't mind a little fat during a bulk. For your goals that should work and if you aren't seeing the results you would like you can always adjust.

Cudder

225x11 for me on squats today, which is a new PR for me in terms of reps at that weight.

I think I might be doing them wrong though, for some reason the last few weeks I've been less tense/tight throughout the whole movement which some how allows me to get more reps. Is that cheating?

sphinx

the piano man
boooh, I was so hyped to squat today... but we had 28 C° here outside and a blazing sun in the sky so I toootally had to go out and do jogging outdoors by the river. That PR will have to wait.

225x11 for me on squats today, which is a new PR for me in terms of reps at that weight.

I think I might be doing them wrong though, for some reason the last few weeks I've been less tense/tight throughout the whole movement which some how allows me to get more reps. Is that cheating?

I have experienced that a couple of times. I don't understand how that happens, My first guess would be that I am tensing my upper body a lot more so my legs are a little less engaged, if that makes sense, lol....I really don't know.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I am...so full. My body is thanking me. I can feel the food being disintegrated and is working to repair my muscles

Any recommendations to someone doing SS without access to any machines who can't do many pull or chin ups (like 1 lol)?

I feel I'm falling behind in my back and arms because I can't get much of a workout on these.

Pull ups and chin ups are accessories on Starting Strength. Keep trying to do one, you will eventually be able to do it as your Overhead and bench press go up.

for some reason the last few weeks I've been less tense/tight throughout the whole movement which some how allows me to get more reps. Is that cheating?
I have experienced that a couple of times. I don't understand how that happens, My first guess would be that I am tensing my upper body a lot more so my legs are a little less engaged, if that makes sense, lol....I really don't know.

You guys might be starting to get the knack of "bouncing" out of the squat, which kind of feels like the hamstrings are not tense. You will start needing tension again when your abs tension starts to limit the maintenance of your lumbar arch.

MrOogieBoogie

I would up the caloroes by 300 or 400 and bump up the protein but I don't mind a little fat during a bulk. For your goals that should work and if you aren't seeing the results you would like you can always adjust.

Sounds good, Coot. I'm gonna stick to 2500 for a week and see what happens, and then adjust from there. Don't wanna start eating TOO much just yet. I'd balloon up rather quickly eating so much after eating so little for so long; thought I'd ease myself into it. Gonna try to gain no more than 0.5lb/week.

I woke up at 6am this morning because I was so fucking excited to begin eating again. Can you believe that? Didn't realize how much my mind and body were craving food until I told myself I'd begin eating again. Had a 600-calorie breakfast, a delicious peanut butter/tortilla snack wrap, and then went to the gym. And can you believe it? Wasn't tired, completed all my lifts, felt great after. Sitting here now after another protein/carb heavy meal and I'm just so happy. Like, literally--all my "happy hormones" seem to be firing away and I for the first time in a long time feel normal.

Cooter

Sounds good, Coot. I'm gonna stick to 2500 for a week and see what happens, and then adjust from there. Don't wanna start eating TOO much just yet. I'd balloon up rather quickly eating so much after eating so little for so long; thought I'd ease myself into it. Gonna try to gain no more than 0.5lb/week.

I woke up at 6am this morning because I was so fucking excited to begin eating again. Can you believe that? Didn't realize how much my mind and body were craving food until I told myself I'd begin eating again. Had a 600-calorie breakfast, a delicious peanut butter/tortilla snack wrap, and then went to the gym. And can you believe it? Wasn't tired, completed all my lifts, felt great after. Sitting here now after another protein/carb heavy meal and I'm just so happy. Like, literally--all my "happy hormones" seem to be firing away and I for the first time in a long time feel normal.

Reading that made me want to bulk! Good for you. Enjoy it and get strong!

MrOogieBoogie

Haha, thanks man. I really do appreciate all your support and feedback. Means a great deal to me. And I'm totally gonna be coming after your weighted muscle-up stats! Even if takes me a year. I'll keep you posted. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom