• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should try talking to them about coming in when they don't have classes to train. As I explained earlier, it's not that that the fee is expensive, it's that Crossfit is difficult to make profitable (like most pyramid schemes are). Knowing that walking in, gives you an advantage when negotiating.

Generally, if you pay a premium, like 50-100 per month, with some sort of term, you'll find one box desperate enough to let you in.

Yeah, I considered that, but unfortunately, my lifting time (I work till 6:30) is usually right in the middle of class time, with everyone going to the gym after work. Some of the Crossfit gyms have great equipment.

Ain't nobody got time for that shit.

I have my own smoker...

=)

Is using a smoker easy? I'd totally invest in one if it's easy to use/maintain.

Good gyms usually can only be found in the surrounding Virginia and Maryland suburbs.

Yeah, I've noticed this :-|

grumble

Well I think it has a lot to do with the kind of people who have come to D.C. in recent years. As gentrification took off, most of the new residents couldn't be described as strength or body building advocates. They're usually just young Harry Reids, who consider their morning jog the only leg exercise they need. Good gyms usually can only be found in the surrounding Virginia and Maryland suburbs.

Yeah, like it or not yuppies don't usually powerlift too much. Nothing wrong with that, their goals just tend to be some basic cardio and some gym time with a personal trainer who makes them look good naked. Kind of a waste though.

grumble

appropriate username

5x5 3x/week isn't too bad if it low volume of exercises and you're starting off. If you're doing SL for example it's 5x5 3x/week. If you've been doing it for a while, it might be hard to recover from and impact related movements.

cryptic

Yep...you can go the electric route or charcoal/wood. I do charcoal/wood.

Pretty easy to maintain, clean, turns out good BBQ. Fun hobby, and pork shoulder is cheap.

I was thinking about building a double barreled smoked from two 55 gallon drums then lost interest.

Don't you have to constantly monitor the smoker for wind temp and stuff, to keep the temp. regular?
I remember watching videos of guys in texas starting at night getting done late afternoon for things like brisket, the king meat.

CrankyJay

Banned
I was thinking about building a double barreled smoked from two 55 gallon drums then lost interest.

Don't you have to constantly monitor the smoker for wind temp and stuff, to keep the temp. regular?
I remember watching videos of guys in texas starting at night getting done late afternoon for things like brisket, the king meat.

No, a good smoker will hold temps fairly even for hours.

You only have to worry about temperature fluctuations when it's windy out.

You can buy wireless thermometers with alarms for min/max so the smoker doesn't drop out of range.

deadbeef

You can buy wireless thermometers with alarms for min/max so the smoker doesn't drop out of range.

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker and it does a fantastic job of holding the temp. Reminds me that I need to buy some more pork butts...

cryptic

Oh okay. Thanks. I really need to get to building that thing.

Kyaw

What is the downside of adding assistance lifts while still being on a linear progression program like GSLP?

I'm talking 50% 5RM 3x10 after you're done with the main lift. A friend broke his plateaus doing it and I'm interested in trying it. He is still on linear progression but he's doing a split version.

What is the downside of adding assistance lifts while still being on a linear progression program like GSLP?

I'm talking 50% 5RM 3x10 after you're done with the main lift. A friend broke his plateaus doing it and I'm interested in trying it. He is still on linear progression but he's doing a split version.
In my experience, the downside in changing a program is that when you stall you can't really say for sure if it was the program because you changed it. Just know that fixing issues isn't quite as easy when you're not using something that's been used by thousands of people before you. You should wait until you actually exhaust your linear progression before changing IMO. But to each his own. I certainly didn't wait though I wish I had.

Kyaw

In my experience, the downside in changing a program is that when you stall you can't really say for sure if it was the program because you changed it. Just know that fixing issues isn't quite as easy when you're not using something that's been used by thousands of people before you. You should wait until you actually exhaust your linear progression before changing IMO. But to each his own. I certainly didn't wait though I wish I had.

Well, it's my actual first time doing a real deload, so, I'm just disheartened and trying to find other solutions. I'll see how the deload goes. It's on the OHP. :p

Also, what's up with knees shaking during the initial pull of deadlifts? My gym has padded flooring, so I'm not sure if that's that or if my legs aren't strong enough.

Well, it's my actual first time doing a real deload, so, I'm just disheartened and trying to find other solutions. I'll see how the deload goes. It's on the OHP. :p

Also, what's up with knees shaking during the initial pull of deadlifts? My gym has padded flooring, so I'm not sure if that's that or if my legs aren't strong enough.
Don't be disheartened! Your first deload is good. Especially when you break through that plateau! Don't switch it up just yet.

How thick is the padding?? Deadlifting on a padded surface sounds shitty.

grumble

The volume impacts recovery, which will probably screw up an aggressive program like gslp. Do it as written, deloads happen and you'll get stronger.

CrankyJay

Banned
GDI, the ass was a lie

still fantastic tho

P36Wj.jpg

Kyaw

Don't be disheartened! Your first deload is good. Especially when you break through that plateau! Don't switch it up just yet.

How thick is the padding?? Deadlifting on a padded surface sounds shitty.

About an inch thick.

The volume impacts recovery, which will probably screw up an aggressive program like gslp. Do it as written, deload a happen and you'll get stronger.

Alright, I'll deload and keep going.

cryptic

What's the best way to drop a deadlift when you can't slam it?

I've been trying to bring it back and slide it over my knees as I squat down a bit and it works but not always as I may begin to tire;I have to exert more to drop it that way.

Any one in a shitty commercial gym have any tips that work for them?

The worst shit is when you start to feel your lower back begin to curve, spinal plates beginning to compress, and you wanna drop it but can't for fear of some guy coming over there to talk about your failure despite knowing nothing himself. What followed last this happened was a long break.

I've never used dumb bells for bench, partially because of this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QnwAoesJvQ.
It just make's sense to me that to fix the bench you have to work the bench, and I should put aside assistance unto you reach an elite level.
The last few weeks I've attempted to shoehorn in a wide variety of assistance exercises despite knowing that, and I think that I didn't recover entirely in this most recent bench day.

I am reading that t-nation article though, good stuff.

When he talks about his extension technique with the elbows at the end does anyone feel like when you do that your not getting as much of a isolation of the chest muscle? I know this is specifically related to moving sheer weight but I always feel like my chest doesn't get exhausted enough.

andycapps

What's the best way to drop a deadlift when you can't slam it?

I've been trying to bring it back and slide it over my knees as I squat down a bit and it works but not always as I may begin to tire;I have to exert more to drop it that way.

Any one in a shitty commercial gym have any tips that work for them?

The worst shit is when you start to feel your lower back begin to curve, spinal plates beginning to compress, and you wanna drop it but can't for fear of some guy coming over there to talk about your failure despite knowing nothing himself. What followed last this happened was a long break.

I never slam my deadlifts. Mostly because it's in my basement and I don't want to crack the floor. I have a big cattlemat under it that I do deadlifts and power cleans on, so I don't have to let it down super carefully, but I don't know if I trust dropping quite a bit of weight a foot or two since I don't have bumper plates.

I do decline because it puts less stress on my shoulder, and I feel it gives me the best chest workout (volume).

I can never get it to really work my chest in any meaningful way. Weighted dips seem to work better for my lower chest. Thats great though I wish I could make it work.

It hits more than just the lower chest, hits the entire pec. Doran Yates swears by it and so far, I'm a believer. I think I will stick with incline/decline for the time being.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Does anyone worry about getting too big ? I feel like the Incredible Hulk lately and I want to get leaner but not give up lifting entirely .. I keep hearing less weight more reps but I can't help but think its a misconception.
What are my options ?

ezrarh

Schattenjäger;51008313 said:
Does anyone worry about getting too big ? I feel like the Incredible Hulk lately and I want to get leaner but not give up lifting entirely .. I keep hearing less weight more reps but I can't help but think its a misconception.
What are my options ?

Don't eat more than needed to maintain the weight you want. Still lift, problem solved.

IceCold

What are my options ?

I once did an extra bench rep and my pecs increased by 150% and my arms by 75% instantly. I got pissed because I didn't want them to that big.

How can you get worried about getting too big if it happens so gradually?

kylej

Banned
Schattenjäger;51013197 said:
Well I haven't weighed myself and my waist hasn't expanded but seems like my coats are getting snug by my shoulders and upper back

Are you sure you're interested in weight lifting?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What are my options ?

Lol, post pics.

rando14

Schattenjäger;51018429 said:
See that is def an option

What happens when you stop ? Does the muscle eventually turn to flab?

Is eating the main component to gaining mass?

Muscle does not transmute into fat. It simply degenerates.

Eating and muscle exertion -> muscle mass.

cryptic

Schattenjäger;51018429 said:
See that is def an option

What happens when you stop ? Does the muscle eventually turn to flab?

Is eating the main component to gaining mass?

Yeah, mostly. Look at a lot of slim female lifters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom