• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this belt talk has me worried that I should invest in one. I always thought of it as an optional thing. Deadlifts are getting closer to 400+ but I don't see a need for a belt.

I use mixed grip if that matters.

Veezy

que?
All this belt talk has me worried that I should invest in one. I always thought of it as an optional thing. Deadlifts are getting closer to 400+ but I don't see a need for a belt.

I use mixed grip if that matters.

Belts help strengthen your abdominal muscles. Thus, wearing a belt and improving on your weight makes you stronger when you don't have a belt on. There's no reason, if weight is starting to get pretty fucking heavy, to not wear a belt. And it should be a belt with a consistent width all around.

Height: 5'5"
Weight: 135lbs
Goal: Strength
Current Training Schedule: I walk my dog and take 4 flights of stairs each time. Really working the body.
Current Training Equipment Available: Free weights, resistance bands, pull up bar, ab wheel thing
Comments: I just want to get myself doing something right now. Desk job has made me disgusting. I definitely need to overhaul my diet, but that may be something left to a nutritionist/dietitian since I'm the kind of plebe who needs to be told exactly what to eat. I'll have access to a gym within the next 2 months as they're building one in my condo right now, so something that could work up to transitioning into using real equipment would be good.

SeanR1221

Current Training Schedule: I walk my dog and take 4 flights of stairs each time. Really working the body.
Current Training Equipment Available: Free weights, resistance bands, pull up bar, ab wheel thing
Comments: I just want to get myself doing something right now. Desk job has made me disgusting. I definitely need to overhaul my diet, but that may be something left to a nutritionist/dietitian since I'm the kind of plebe who needs to be told exactly what to eat. I'll have access to a gym within the next 2 months as they're building one in my condo right now, so something that could work up to transitioning into using real equipment would be good.

Did you read the OP?

Veezy

que?
I used this one for years. Despite being slightly wider in the back, it tightens down solidly, doesn't come loose, and really helped me push through my sticking points without having to get a real deal belt belt. Besides, my hips and rib cage aren't far enough apart for a normal belt to ever fit normally, so this solution worked wonders.

It really is a great belt to use if you're wanting something to help lift with but just don't want to get a real PL belt, or don't have the stomach for it yet.

Cagey

Banned
As a gift for my brother cleaning up his life and lifestyle, and devoting himself back to his favorite hobby (lifting), I got him this:

ARNOLD_002.jpg=600.jpg

Motivation. Never leave home without it.

Veezy

que?
Yes. I don't really have a much more specific goal outside of what you bolded.

The point of the slight snark is that the OP pretty much lays out EXACTLY what you should be doing for strength. If all you have available is body weight equipment, you'll have to make due with that type of programming, but if strength is your concern than you need to find a gym ASAP.

Szu

Recently, my main gym installed a platform mainly for Olympic lifts. The staff tries to keep one bar there at all times.

I joked around with some buddies about how long it would take before someone does something like barbell curls on the platform. Someone overheard our conversation and told us that some already did them about an hour ago.

smh

SeanR1221

Second day of crossfit.

Ten minutes of:

7 jumping pull ups, 12 weight swings, 10 sit ups. Made it to round 6.

So far leg doms are completely gone. Hopefully this means I can have a peaceful poop for a change.

Haven't barfed yet today. Probably helps I didn't eat breakfast before going to the gym like last time (god I am so fucking stupid)

What?

Petrie

Banned
I used this one for years. Despite being slightly wider in the back, it tightens down solidly, doesn't come loose, and really helped me push through my sticking points without having to get a real deal belt belt. Besides, my hips and rib cage aren't far enough apart for a normal belt to ever fit normally, so this solution worked wonders.

It really is a great belt to use if you're wanting something to help lift with but just don't want to get a real PL belt, or don't have the stomach for it yet.

But you can get the Elite FTS one Sean linked to for the same price on sale!

Veezy

que?

The mentality that working out till you throw up is a good thing is one of the less dumb, albeit still incredibly fucking stupid, aspects of Crossfit. Pukey the Clown is their mascot, after all.

But you can get the Elite FTS one Sean linked to for the same price on sale!

True, and I have that exact belt. And you know what? I never use it. It's incredibly uncomfortable, hella digs into my sides, works for any movement, and just can't seem to fit in it right.

That one, not on sale, doesn't have the above issues. To each their own. Maybe I just haven't worked it enough.

Cudder

Order came in from BB.com. Jack3d Micro, gonna try it out starting Monday. Some cheap straps for my deadlifts. I already used them onces, meh, they're okay. Shoulda gone with a leather pair tbh. And a Smart Shaker cup which I'll start using soon. Looks good though, just what I needed.

grumble

Okay.

1. Diet. I'd be concerend about dieticians, as most of them teach to the food guide. To lose fat you need to resistance train to preserve muscle and cut calories. It is easiest to cut calories and presents an optimal hormonal environment if you also reduce sugar and other carbohydrates. So eat lots of meat, eggs, leafy veggies, avocados, spices and a moderate amount of fruit. Limits starches and sugar, and don't drink anything with calories in it.

2. Exercise. You have two months until the gym, so use those two months to get generally in shape. Do a routine with whatever equipment you have at home (list it out please in detail), and do some cardio as well, like plyo in your room. When you get the gym, you'll be able to go there and be off to a running start...

balddemon

Banned
As a gift for my brother cleaning up his life and lifestyle, and devoting himself back to his favorite hobby (lifting), I got him this:

ARNOLD_002.jpg=600.jpg

Motivation. Never leave home without it.

one of my favorite pictures of arnold. it's currently my desktop background. I'm looking for more pictures like it so I can make a rotating background theme.

SeanR1221

I'm 100 pounds overweight, out of shape, and I went to my first crossfit lesson after eating breakfast. Of course I threw up.

I used to be 100 pounds overweight too. I always eat before I go to the gym. In my opinion there's just something wrong with working out to the point where you puke.

Dash27

Haven't barfed yet today. Probably helps I didn't eat breakfast before going to the gym like last time (god I am so fucking stupid)

I'm the opposite, if I worked out on an empty stomach I'd feel horrible. I would stay short of barfing in general. Pace yourself.

FinKL

Any one have inputs on what works best as far as reps/intensity is concerned?

I just read about Reverse Pyramid Theory http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy2.htm and was wondering if anyone had input on it.

Currently I do
warmup x 10 (just the bar),
1x10 (95lbs)
1x10 (105lbs)
1x10 (115lbs)
each followed by at least 2 minutes of rest.

The above is for my squats as an example, but I follow the same formula for the rest of the exercises (press, bench etc.)

abuC

Before my cut I'd eat 6 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon and 2-3 cups of spinach 20 minutes before the gym.

I don't know how you do it, I used to eat maybe 1-2 hours before I went to the gym and once the weights got really heavy on deadlifts I felt like I was going to throw up.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

When you say free weights, do you mean barbell or dumbbell? Do you have access to a bench or squat rack?

rando14

Post-leg workout tacos and ice cream. Today is awesome.

EDIT: Interesting photo. Gives you perspective on the difference between "Professional" and "big"

HKbYCCD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom