• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
Why buy ON? I just checked, you can get 10 lb chocolate whey from TN for $74 shipped

Personally I order 50lbs of truenutrition recession Whey and pay like $6 or so a lb with coupon/free shipping. Only need to order once a year. Large initial investment but cheaper long-term, which is how I roll.

I'll grab whatever deals show up on Slickdeals to have some flavored variety to throw in my car and mix with water when I need to.

rando14

Personally I order 50lbs of truenutrition recession Whey and pay like $6 or so a lb with coupon/free shipping. Only need to order once a year. Large initial investment but cheaper long-term, which is how I roll.

I'll grab whatever deals show up on Slickdeals to have some flavored variety to throw in my car and mix with water when I need to.

Yeah that's probably the best way to go. Where is the recession whey, cheapest I could see was high grade concentrate

Petrie

Banned

MjFrancis

EDIT: Interesting photo. Gives you perspective on the difference between "Professional" and "big"

HKbYCCD.jpg
The difference is astounding. Isn't Kai Greene like 260lbs and 5'8"? Does anyone know who the other guy is? I'd guess a few inches taller and maybe 200-215lbs.

balddemon

Banned
He looks gross and uncomfortable. I hope people don't aspire to be like that.

it's his job. and he's got people slobbin his knob 24/7 so I'm sure he's happy with it.

not saying I want to be that big. lol. I think that arnold picture someone posted recently is a good goal.

Okay.

1. Diet. I'd be concerend about dieticians, as most of them teach to the food guide. To lose fat you need to resistance train to preserve muscle and cut calories. It is easiest to cut calories and presents an optimal hormonal environment if you also reduce sugar and other carbohydrates. So eat lots of meat, eggs, leafy veggies, avocados, spices and a moderate amount of fruit. Limits starches and sugar, and don't drink anything with calories in it.

2. Exercise. You have two months until the gym, so use those two months to get generally in shape. Do a routine with whatever equipment you have at home (list it out please in detail), and do some cardio as well, like plyo in your room. When you get the gym, you'll be able to go there and be off to a running start...

When you say free weights, do you mean barbell or dumbbell? Do you have access to a bench or squat rack?

Thanks for the diet advice. I'll have to go pick up.. all of that stuff.

Equipment wise it's everything I listed. Specifically the dumbbells are 15 & 20lbs. Not sure what the resistance is on the bands.

No access to a bench, though I could probably pick one up since my company will cover the cost.

Noema

My new motivational mantra before heavy squats is: "Whenever you squat, remember that somewhere, somehow, a Crossfitter is warming up with your 1RM." That gets me pretty fired up.

Any one have inputs on what works best as far as reps/intensity is concerned?

I just read about Reverse Pyramid Theory http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy2.htm and was wondering if anyone had input on it.

Currently I do
warmup x 10 (just the bar),
1x10 (95lbs)
1x10 (105lbs)
1x10 (115lbs)
each followed by at least 2 minutes of rest.

The above is for my squats as an example, but I follow the same formula for the rest of the exercises (press, bench etc.)

Don't read bodybuilding.com.

It's the GameFaqs of fitness.

I used to be 100 pounds overweight too. I always eat before I go to the gym. In my opinion there's just something wrong with working out to the point where you puke.

Big-E

Been following a routine for awhile now and getting good results but I am cutting the routine an exercise short because I don't have a hammer strength machine at my gym. Anybody know any good alternative exercises to the hammer strength machine?

Is it normal for people not to sweat during a workout? I hardly break a sweat when I do. But the guy next to me is drenching in sweat.

Wish I was you. I sweat heaps at the gym and more in general since going too. Now I have to sleep with my ceiling fan on or I sweat just laying in bed. :/

A day in the life of Kai Greene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1pjY1mDAa8&list=WLC7BA8CEF80C032FE

not sure if this was ever posted.

Thanks for posting this. Amazing how even when squatting 4 plates at the end of the workout he's not visibly bothered, doesn't grunt or anything just takes a sec to compose himself and breathe and then it ain't no thang. Dudes a monk.

entremet

He looks gross and uncomfortable. I hope people don't aspire to be like that.

Well you're gonna need tons of hardwork, superior genetics, and access to thousands of dollars of drugs to look like that. I do appreciate his total commitment.

Beside's he's an IFBB pro. All those guys are juicing and taking tons of stuff.

FinKL

Don't read bodybuilding.com.

It's the GameFaqs of fitness.

Yeah, bro-science is the best lol. My answer was actually in the OP, the # of Sets/Reps chart and the Muscular Hypertrophy section answered my question :)

A good balance between high reps & low reps seems to be the answer.

cryptic

Any one have inputs on what works best as far as reps/intensity is concerned?

I just read about Reverse Pyramid Theory http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy2.htm and was wondering if anyone had input on it.

Currently I do
warmup x 10 (just the bar),
1x10 (95lbs)
1x10 (105lbs)
1x10 (115lbs)
each followed by at least 2 minutes of rest.

The above is for my squats as an example, but I follow the same formula for the rest of the exercises (press, bench etc.)

I've been doing RPT for all the major lists and the few supplemental exercises I incorporate from learning of it through leangains. It works for me very well I feel, and you're doing it wrong.
You start with your heaviest weight first- maybe do a warmup if you're not very experienced with the movements- then you descend the pyramid, doing more reps with less weight.

I've never understood other programs where you tire yourself out doing many reps of light weight before moving on to your heaviest; no commonsense there.
I suppose some people struggle getting hyped, but when you're in a fight with the bar everyday that should be all the motivation you need, as soon as I load it up I'm pissed and forget about everything else lol.

IceCold

Wish I was you. I sweat heaps at the gym and more in general since going too. Now I have to sleep with my ceiling fan on or I sweat just laying in bed. :/

Thanks for posting this. Amazing how even when squatting 4 plates at the end of the workout he's not visibly bothered, doesn't grunt or anything just takes a sec to compose himself and breathe and then it ain't no thang. Dudes a monk.

Seriously. He's a beast. 405lbs like it's nothing and after having worked out his legs for like 2 hours. Damn.

Cagey

Banned
Well, he did kind of ruin gyms in a way, with machines, isolation routines, splits, encouraging steroid use, lifting without concern for performance and shady supplements, but he was still a big part of making weight training what it is today.

lolwut?

Not every lifting routine is a variant of SS, nor should it be.

If you want to pin the blame on him for what Planet Fitness has become today, that's... a big stretch.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Well, he did kind of ruin gyms in a way, with machines, isolation routines, splits, encouraging steroid use, lifting without concern for performance and shady supplements, but he was still a big part of making weight training what it is today.

LOL

Petrie

Banned
lolwut?

Not every lifting routine is a variant of SS, nor should it be.

If you want to pin the blame on him for what Planet Fitness has become today, that's... a big stretch.

It's not a huge stretch. Selling those machines as an improvement is a big part of why so many gyms are such garbage today. You don't have to believe everyone should do SS to realize that machines are a detriment to overall fitness culture. We'd be better off without them wasting real-estate.

entremet

Isolation routines aren't optimal for natural trainees.

It's proven that natural trainees do better hitting body parts at least twice a week. Splits favor enhanced lifters.

Not that you can't make progress on splits. And some people need the variety, but the old school natural set trained with full body routines.

abuC

Since I'm only doing chest once a week now, I've started doing 200 pushups a day, 4 sets of 50. Might drop down to 100 weighted pushups, and that brings me to this question, anyone here use chains? I want to incorporate them into my workout, wondering where's a good place to get some 40lbs chains from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom