• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

Don't go thinking they were healthy. Everyone I know likes this other version of smores with a Reeses in there, so rather than destroy my daily macros, I merely hurt them by mixing some cocoa PB2 with water, and using it in place of the chocolate/reeses in the smore.

Healthier is a very relative term here. Was less than $150 cals a smore though, meaning I could fit in a couple and be part of the group!

Ah. You should replace the Reeses with a quest PB cup ;)

Cranky, I usually have a cup of coffee around 8-9 if I'm getting hungry then just drink water from there but I can be a lot more consistent since I don't have a baby :p

Petrie

Banned
Ah. You should replace the Reeses with a quest PB cup ;)

Cranky, I usually have a cup of coffee around 8-9 if I'm getting hungry then just drink water from there but I can be a lot more consistent since I don't have a baby :p

Hadn't discovered those yet. Bit too expensive for me to eat 2-3 a day though while at camp!

SeanR1221

Nice! My elbow sleeves already shipped. Hope large is ok. I couldn't find many comments to size them down.

Knee sleeves tons of people said to size down. Used amazon prime on them so they should be here tomorrow or Monday.

And the finances response? "I don't care you work hard." Woo!!!

Unknowingly stone/dealifted 345lbs yesterday at least ten trees at my landscaping job. Weighed one of the remaining blue spruces this morning at around 344.

That's a new PR.

Its always fascinating to me the mind body connection and especially how a perceived weight has a major bearing on how your body reacts to it.

About 4 years ago my old gym had 55lb weights that were just thicker than the 45lb plates and I had been having a hard time getting up 255. My dad who was trying to get me to push it up for weeks but I always bailed out at the mid-way point. This one time I wash benching 205 pretty easily so he tells me to stay down and that he is going to add 45lb plates but he adds the 55's. I lifted it easily. It actually felt like 235 and it cracks me up cause I got about 4 reps in. Once I set it down he showed me what was up. Pretty crazy.

His legs look pretty big. He probably focused on that maybe oly lift focused.

Looking at it again your right he has some big quads when he goes to the ground.

Squats are a freakshow exercise that people can truly shock you on. I have never had someone that doesn't workout regularly and then show up for their first workout surprise me on Bench or DeadLifts but I have had people that haven't worked out one day in their life come to the gym and immediately start putting up monster weight on the squat rack.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Its always fascinating to me the mind body connection and especially how a perceived weight has a major bearing on how your body reacts to it.

About 4 years ago my old gym had 55lb weights that were just thicker than the 45lb plates and I had been having a hard time getting up 255. My dad who was trying to get me to push it up for weeks but I always bailed out at the mid-way point. This one time I wash benching 205 pretty easily so he tells me to stay down and that he is going to add 45lb plates but he adds the 55's. I lifted it easily. It actually felt like 235 and it cracks me up cause I got about 4 reps in. Once I set it down he showed me what was up. Pretty crazy.

You can also use a trick to lift more weight by faking out your CNS.

Unrack a heavier weight than your 1rm. Hold it for a little bit, then rack it. Drop the weight down a little and now try and lift it. It will "feel" lighter.

Another thing you can do that does the same thing is use a bowling ball, then switch to a heavy bowling ball. Now later in the day switch back to the lighter bowling ball. Now this ball feels like a tennis ball.

Looking at it again your right he has some big quads when he goes to the ground.

Squats are a freakshow exercise that people can truly shock you on. I have never had someone that doesn't workout regularly and then show up for their first workout surprise me on Bench or DeadLifts but I have had people that haven't worked out one day in their life come to the gym and immediately start putting up monster weight on the squat rack.

Yeah, that's because no one looks at legs. I'm beginning to think this is where I've screwed myself. I'm simply not doing enough quad work. As a result my squats have bottomed out. When I was doing BBB squats I was repping 425. Now I'm lucky if that's my max.

After I establish my 1RMs this coming week I'm going back to BBB squats.

You can also use a trick to lift more weight by faking out your CNS.

Unrack a heavier weight than your 1rm. Hold it for a little bit, then rack it. Drop the weight down a little and now try and lift it. It will "feel" lighter.

Another thing you can do that does the same thing is use a bowling ball, then switch to a heavy bowling ball. Now later in the day switch back to the lighter bowling ball. Now this ball feels like a tennis ball.

Yeah, that's because no one looks at legs. I'm beginning to think this is where I've screwed myself. I'm simply not doing enough quad work. As a result my squats have bottomed out. When I was doing BBB squats I was repping 425. Now I'm lucky if that's my max.

Shogun I love this idea. I never considered doing this but it makes perfect sense.

I strained my lower back 2 years ago wakeboarding and it was so tender for so long on anything heaving than 235 that I just became such a baby on the rack. Now shame has caught up with me. I'm going to start back up with BBB again as well. It was the best thing to force me to have a proper lifting form. I have gotten way to lazy in the interim.

I met an ex powerlifter who told me that he first tried the deadlift at the age of 17, and lifted 200kg. That is some mindblowing natural strength!

I think he told me that he ended up with a deadlift of around 360kg before retiring.

ACE 1991

Need more info about you and your goals, as well as why you're dropping SL, to give any kind of input here.

YEA BOY!

*EDIT*

PB2 is pretty cheap on Amazon right now. Great for cutting season.

$7.49 for a lb. of the regular stuff

$16.50 for 2lbs of the chocolate variety

My goals are aesthetic rather than strength gains. I took up SL to get a decent foundation/understanding of barbell movements, but now I'm interested in moving into a hypertrophy oriented workout. GLSP was suggested to me by Noema, but I'm looking around the net to see what else there is.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
My goals are aesthetic rather than strength gains. I took up SL to get a decent foundation/understanding of barbell movements, but now I'm interested in moving into a hypertrophy oriented workout. GLSP was suggested to me by Noema, but I'm looking around the net to see what else there is.

If I was going to do hypertrophy work I'd follow John Meadows program.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/mountain_dog_training_for_intermediates&cr=

There's a whole bunch of articles that break it all down. Just google John Meadows Mountain dog training

I met an ex powerlifter who told me that he first tried the deadlift at the age of 17, and lifted 200kg. That is some mindblowing natural strength!

I think he told me that he ended up with a deadlift of around 360kg before retiring.

Yeah, gonna call bullshit on that one.

grumble

How many of guys have employed Feeder Workouts into your routine? I have been doing it with chest lately along with banded resistance and it seems to be having a pretty positive impact. I think I am going to start using it with squats too as much as I don't want to.

grumble

I've heard that muscle size correlates strongly to 10RMs; I bleieve some research has been done on it. If you manage to drive your 10RMs up, then you'll end up with more muscle. The method of doing that could be a strandard hypertrophy program, or it could be a strength training program that drives your 5RMs up so high your 10RMs follow, and you can periodically sidetrack and add volume and rep count to bring it up to speed in a two stage process. If there's one issue I've found with hypertrophy programs, they don't have a good progression built in in many cases.

You could look at Reg Park for example, who might be the greatest natural bodybuilder ever. This guy could bench 500 pounds in a tshirt. His normal routine was almost entirely 5x5 of the compounds.

Orrichio

Height: 5' 9''
Weight: 140 lbs
Goal: MORE WEIGHT + MUSCLE
Current Training Schedule: Mon , Wed, Fri.
Current Training Equipment Available: Dumbbells , kettle bell , iron gym pull up bar
Comments: Ive been eating basically chicken, some rice, and veg(broc, string beans, etc) for a while and it's been more food than I am used to eating. I am also eating peanut butter, and nuts for high calories and fat. But today I was shocked to see that I lost weight! I was around 142 lbs before and now I've shrunk. I'm allergic to dairy so I can't drink milk and use whey powder... Do you have any suggestions how I can get more good calories (low-carb) in my diet?

blackflag

That seems reasonable. But What about getting more calories? Do you have any tips with that? Especially since I'm eating lean protein.

A couple questions first. If you are trying to gain weight, why are you eating low carb?

What are your macros per day?

Sean: He can't have whey or cream :)

Orrichio

A couple questions first. If you are trying to gain weight, why are you eating low carb?

What are your macros per day?

Sean: He can't have whey or cream :)

hahah, well I'm trying to eat low carb since I thought it would be healthiest. I don't want to gain a lot of fat, but I'm new to this so if I'm working out 3 times a week higher carbs are fine? My diet is pretty healthy for the last 4 or so years. I want to gain muscle weight, but that comes from working out. So (more) carbs are okay?

ToxicAdam

That seems reasonable. But What about getting more calories? Do you have any tips with that? Especially since I'm eating lean protein.

Use olive oil on every thing. Drench your chicken and salads in it.

Learn to love Tuna Fish. I mean really fucking love it, where you can be just about anywhere and pop open a can/package and start eating it.

Add nuts to every single meal.

blackflag

hahah, well I'm trying to eat low carb since I thought it would be healthiest. I don't want to gain a lot of fat, but I'm new to this so if I'm working out 3 times a week higher carbs are fine? My diet is pretty healthy for the last 4 or so years. I want to gain muscle weight, but that comes from working out. So (more) carbs are okay?

Well you need some kind of calorie excess and carbs are good for putting on muscle (or fat).

You should try and get the following:

0.8-1g protein per lb of bodyweight
0.40-0.50g fat per lb of bodyeight

The remaining calories can be made up of whatever you want. Most people use carbs for most of it.

Eat 500 cals more than your TDEE and lift hard.

Petrie

Banned

Learn to love Tuna Fish. I mean really fucking love it, where you can be just about anywhere and pop open a can/package and start eating it.

I wish I didn't hate tuna. Only seafood I can't stand.

grumble

Height: 5' 9''
Weight: 140 lbs
Goal: MORE WEIGHT + MUSCLE
Current Training Schedule: Mon , Wed, Fri.
Current Training Equipment Available: Dumbbells , kettle bell , iron gym pull up bar
Comments: Ive been eating basically chicken, some rice, and veg(broc, string beans, etc) for a while and it's been more food than I am used to eating. I am also eating peanut butter, and nuts for high calories and fat. But today I was shocked to see that I lost weight! I was around 142 lbs before and now I've shrunk. I'm allergic to dairy so I can't drink milk and use whey powder... Do you have any suggestions how I can get more good calories (low-carb) in my diet?

To gain weight:

-Trail mix by the bag. Eat a solid cup a day. You can choose varieties that are heavier on the nuts and lower on the dried fruit if you want to keep carbs from skyrocketing.
-Forget about lean meats, eat fatty meats too. Burgers, chili, steak with butter, etc.
-Find another protein source if your diet isn't giving you 1+g/lb per day. There are a lot of non-dairy powders, like egg, soy, beef, hemp, whatever.

All this and generally just eating more. Bigger portions, eating when you aren't hungry, etc.

As for gaining muscle, there's a lot you can do with your current equipment though you'll be limited in some movements. Can you gain access to a gym at some point and get on a barbell routine? Otherwise you'll basically be doing P90X or crossfit metcons.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, just easier to eat more plain chicken or turkey for me.

Blows though, wish I enjoyed it more. It's alright though. All about diet for function. For business! Not pleasure.

blackflag

Broccoli is delicious man. I like TUNA tuna, but tuna fish, that's where I get upset.

Strong agreement. Fresh tuna, Ahi Tuna. Stuff is so good. Canned tuna....throw up.

Broccoli is delicious. I eat a lb a day. I don't even salt or pepper it. Just steam and eat...so good.

Dark Sesame Oil plus canned Tuna is some great stuff.

Petrie

Banned
Strong agreement. Fresh tuna, Ahi Tuna. Stuff is so good. Canned tuna....throw up.

Broccoli is delicious. I eat a lb a day. I don't even salt or pepper it. Just steam and eat...so good.

I hate the texture of most green veggies.

I overcook them and eat as quickly as possible.

Nibel

I like to eat broccoli when it's warm - when it's cold it seems to taste entirely different to me and makes me almost throw up :lol

And tuna is amazing, you should enjoy it as long as it exists

Archon473

5x Max handstand hold, rest 3 minutes in between:
1:20, 1:13, 1:08, 1:04, 1:01

1:20 is my new record; all attempts surpassing one minute is a record as well. Wrists, elbows, and shoulders felt good. Doing handstand push-ups on textbooks for increased range of motion is obviously helping. Handstand push-ups have felt faster. Combining handstand push-ups and regular push-ups has not required as much resting. Wrists can tolerate higher reps of HSPUs.

Feel like this right now:
urien-aegis.gif

Feel so swole guys. Hit 60lbs 3x5 on my biceps today! Also hit 40lbs 3x5 on Incline Chest Press, 50lbs 3x5 Shoulder Pressx 50lbs 3x5. I feel so strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom