• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrankyJay

Banned
Hey fitness people. Here's some stats:

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 159 lbs
Goal: Not sure. Eventually have larger and more-defined muscles?
Current Training Schedule: Haphazard bench press workout and bicycle sit-ups with no regular schedule and probably poor form.
Current Training Equipment Available: treadmill, exercise bike with moving arm things, free weights, an exercise ball, and a weight machine with plate weights in the middle and benchpress, butterfly thing and the bar you can pull down.

I've always been tall and skinny. In the past ~7 years my diet has been mostly fast food. I've never eaten well, but it didn't seem to matter outwardly. In the past year I've put on some weight and gained noticeable belly fat. I'm still skinny, but it's pretty obvious to me and my girlfriend that I have a bit of a gut now. Like most people I've tried starting workout regimens in the past and never stuck to them.

I started a diet almost a month ago (everybody said I was crazy and don't need to diet), and I've already lost almost 10 pounds. I'm not very strict about it, and I'm not counting my calories, but basically I cut out bread, fast food, sugar. I'm definitely running a calorie deficit right now, trying to get my body fat lower. (my super inaccurate bathroom scale says it's 17%). I'm still figuring out new things to incorporate but right now I'm super happy with it, and I don't see any reason why I won't continue with it (with improvements) from now on.

I want to add some workouts to my routine. Mostly I want some visible abs, and just in general to be less squishy and formless. I've been reading up, but I know I'm still clueless.

I think it will be a lot easier for me to stick to a workout routine if I have a set schedule and workout instead of just doing whatever strikes my fancy at the time. Also I think I'll be more successful initially if the workout is relatively short. I'm poor at managing my time (another thing I'm improving on), but I think spending 30 minutes a day in the gym from day-1 would kill my enthusiasm pretty quickly.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice on light-to-moderate beginner routines to start out with, plus any advice you guys have in general from my post. Like, should I still consume relatively few calories (probably ~1500 a day)? It's my understanding that I can do all the situps in the world, but I'll never have a defined midsection if I don't get rid of the fat. I realize that working out will probably up my calories burned in a day, but in my situation which is better? over or under?

Is this the kind of thread where people post pictures and progress reports? That might help me stay on top of it too.

Yeah you can post pics if you want. I'd read through the OP to get more knowledge, but I'd say at your height and weight I'd start lifting weights and getting into a routine. Routines can be found in the OP.

CrankyJay

Banned
I read the OP, but I guess I didn't scroll far enough down to see the exercises and forms etc. Thanks guys.

LOL, it's a long OP. I know you want to lose that belly fat, but you seem pretty "light" for your height. Your goals are your own, but I'd explore maybe eating a little more (but cleaner), and lifting heavy and packing on some muscle before trying to slim down again to reveal those abs.

blackflag

may I ask, have you had any kind of nutrition philosophy since you began working out? Do you pay attention to it?

I started with strict keto with huge carb loads every 2 or 3 weeks for 36 hours. That got me from 310 to about 229 (40+% to 20%). I ate about 2,500 cals most of that time. Tracked it all.

Then I've had trouble losing weight since then so I decided to eat at 3,500-4k cals for awhile and bulked to 260 then I started cutting at 1800 cals but it's still not working so I'm at 255.

Not sure what I'm doing now. It is really easy for me to put on muscle it seems but really hard to lose any more fat. even though I'm at like 19% or something.

I think I'm gonna just carb backload on workout nights and increase cardio. Since that performed no worse than lowering my calories.

abuC

I started with strict keto with huge carb loads every 2 or 3 weeks for 36 hours. That got me from 310 to about 229 (40+% to 20%). I ate about 2,500 cals most of that time. Tracked it all.

Then I've had trouble losing weight since then so I decided to eat at 3,500-4k cals for awhile and bulked to 260 then I started cutting at 1800 cals but it's still not working so I'm at 255.

Not sure what I'm doing now. It is really easy for me to put on muscle it seems but really hard to lose any more fat. even though I'm at like 19% or something.

I think I'm gonna just carb backload on workout nights and increase cardio. Since that performed no worse than lowering my calories.

Do you do any type of HIIT?

Doodis

Went back to the gym this week after taking over a month off due to wrecked back.

Dem DOMS, man. Also, am cry over not being able to do the same weight and reps I did before I got hurt. :(

blackflag

Do you do any type of HIIT?

No, that's my new goal. I've not been consistent with cardio at all.

I was trying to do it on treadmill like speed 4 then 10 which is the fastest I can keep up with right now then back to 4 until my heart rate goes back down. I'd end up doing like 5 or 6 minutes at 4 and 1-2 min at 10 but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

Then Layne Norton said you should do it on a bike instead so you dont hurt yourself and because the resistance ramps up faster.

I need to read up more on it.

blackflag

Went back to the gym this week after taking over a month off due to wrecked back.

Dem DOMS, man. Also, am cry over not being able to do the same weight and reps I did before I got hurt. :(

I hate that. I've taken the last 3 weeks off from squat and deads because of back issues and I'm not looking forward to the drop my max takes. I'm actually going to rest it like another month though because it's recurring and I never let it rest long enough. Back day sucks without deadlifts.

abuC

No, that's my new goal. I've not been consistent with cardio at all.

I was trying to do it on treadmill like speed 4 then 10 which is the fastest I can keep up with right now then back to 4 until my heart rate goes back down. I'd end up doing like 5 or 6 minutes at 4 and 1-2 min at 10 but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

Then Layne Norton said you should do it on a bike instead so you dont hurt yourself and because the resistance ramps up faster.

I need to read up more on it.

Give sprinting a try, or you can go extra hardcore like Layne and push your car a few times. I tried that last week and was damn near dead by the end of it. I'm a lot like you, I was really overweight at one point and lost a lot of weight just weight lifting without cardio. Then I hit a point where cutting calories wasn't working anymore so I bumped up the HIIT and that did the trick.

The bike Layne was talking about is the Wingate Bike, I don't think I've ever seen one before -

W64626_01_Wingate-Testing-Ergometer-894E.jpg

Orrichio

To gain weight:

-Trail mix by the bag. Eat a solid cup a day. You can choose varieties that are heavier on the nuts and lower on the dried fruit if you want to keep carbs from skyrocketing.
-Forget about lean meats, eat fatty meats too. Burgers, chili, steak with butter, etc.
-Find another protein source if your diet isn't giving you 1+g/lb per day. There are a lot of non-dairy powders, like egg, soy, beef, hemp, whatever.

All this and generally just eating more. Bigger portions, eating when you aren't hungry, etc.

As for gaining muscle, there's a lot you can do with your current equipment though you'll be limited in some movements. Can you gain access to a gym at some point and get on a barbell routine? Otherwise you'll basically be doing P90X or crossfit metcons.

I plan on enrolling in a full gym membership in the coming week, I've been using those tools for the past 20 odd days. Is it not advised to exercise the same muscles every day? I've been working out every other day.

blackflag

woahhhh those are 7,000 dollars.

Well that's cool if it worked for you, I'll give it a shot and see if I can make it work for me. Yeah I should just run outside here but I'm not sure I can when it's so late and dark by the time I can.

How long do you usually do hiit for?

sphinx

the piano man

thanks for the insight, I've been also gaining weight lately too and cardio hasn't helped to keep it under control, I run at 7-8 mphs for 30-40 minutes and my body is just immune to it, I've been jogging for almost a year. In fact I continue going up and I don't eat THAT much... don't know, that's why I asked you.

I think I've been too careless with the nutrition topic... I always thought " If I work out and do some cardio here and there, then I'll eat all I want"... that line of thought isn't working anymore, I do see progress, but aesthetically I don't like myself as much as I thought I would...

abuC

woahhhh those are 7,000 dollars.

Well that's cool if it worked for you, I'll give it a shot and see if I can make it work for me. Yeah I should just run outside here but I'm not sure I can when it's so late and dark by the time I can.

How long do you usually do hiit for?

I started with 5x100m sprints (all out), then gradually bumped it up to 5x150m sprints then eventually 10x100m. It never took more than 25 minutes total, I'm about to start doing them again next week.

Give yourself a rest between the sprints, and just as you feel you're about to catch your wind you sprint again. And make sure to stretch, the sprints are BRUTAL.

blackflag

thanks for the insight, I've been also gaining weight lately too and cardio hasn't helped to keep it under control, I run at 7-8 mphs for 30-40 minutes and my body is just immune to it, I've been jogging for almost a year. In fact I continue going up and I don't eat THAT much... don't know, that's why I asked you.

I think I've been too careless with the nutrition topic... I always thought " If I work out and do some cardio here and there, then I'll eat all I want"... that line of thought isn't working anymore, I do see progress, but aesthetically I don't like myself as much as I thought I would...

Yeah I know that feel. I even track mine but it doesn't seem to matter. I barely do cardio though so maybe I just up that and see what happens.

it's crazy, I eat at 3,500 I can slowly gain weight. 3k I stay the same, 2.5k I stay the same, 2k I stay the same, 1800 I stay the same.

I noticed I have gotten a bit leaner lately even though not losing weight but it's like all in my arms and shoulders. I kno belly is the last place to go but it's driving me crazy.

blackflag

I started with 5x100m sprints (all out), then gradually bumped it up to 5x150m sprints then eventually 10x100m. It never took more than 25 minutes total, I'm about to start doing them again next week.

Give yourself a rest between the sprints, and just as you feel you're about to catch your wind you sprint again. And make sure to stretch, the sprints are BRUTAL.

Definitely gonna try it this weekend.

I have the opposite problem, as a sprinter I find it impossible to put on any muscle at all. I know I'd have to be eating at a caloric surplus but it doesn't seem possible. Plus I don't have enough energy while lifting to really push myself and get stronger.

It's also weird, I don't seem to be losing any fat. I've been at a standstill all year, stuck at the same weight. I feel like if I eat less I'll lose strength and my performance will go down, and if I eat a ton of calories I'll put on some fat weight that'll hurt my performance as well. But I want to get stronger. Our nutritionist isn't very helpful either.

sphinx

the piano man
. I kno belly is the last place to go but it's driving me crazy.

you've got some belly? damn, we have like the same problem :/

in my case, it isn't even a regular belly, like of a normal fat guy, is just some kind of.. protuberance. I think it is the result of the core getting thicker from regular workout and eating carelessly...regardless, it does not look good. gotta take care of that, sooner or later.

sphinx

the piano man
going to sleep now (late in Europe here..).

Since I don't have a back pic worth a damn and I won't share NSFW booty pics, I'll share my squat pic here and call it a day

(Disclaimer, I was just trying to do a test, I know, weight is laughable :p)

squatdown_zpsea4355f5.png

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I've decided I'm going to trim down and get a six pack. Shouldn't take more than a couple weeks. I'll post an updated pic when it is achieved. I'm hoping to keep my strength!

Cudder

I've decided I'm going to trim down and get a six pack. Shouldn't take more than a couple weeks. I'll post an updated pic when it is achieved. I'm hoping to keep my strength!

read this and proceeded to shake my head. then i looked at who posted it. fml

kylej

Banned

Since I don't have a back pic worth a damn and I won't share NSFW booty pics, I'll share my squat pic here and call it a day

what's up with the gloves bro

30 seconds all out, 15 seconds normal pedaling, rinse and repeat for 10 minutes.

You could also do a 15 on 15 off split, you'll probably be able to do it for a longer period of time, like 20-25 minutes or so. If you feel like you're not gonna make it drop down to 10 seconds on 20 seconds off

You could also do a 15 on 15 off split, you'll probably be able to do it for a longer period of time, like 20-25 minutes or so. If you feel like you're not gonna make it drop down to 10 seconds on 20 seconds off

a 1:2 ratio sounds more managable and convenient

20 on and 40 off to complete 1 minute

Any ideas on the adverse effects of beer/liquor will have on performance and physique? I know it's empty calories and I'd imagine that the dehydration drinking causes would increase recovery time for muscles...is there anything else?

blackflag

Any ideas on the adverse effects of beer/liquor will have on performance and physique? I know it's empty calories and I'd imagine that the dehydration drinking causes would increase recovery time for muscles...is there anything else?

I know you can't lose weight when you are drinking because your body burns the alcohol first. No idea overall though. I just stay away and then get smashed like once a month.

I'm sure moderation is fine though unless you are on a short timeframe to hit your goals.

ACE 1991

Mully

I'm really considering on making an appointment with my doctor. All of my 85% lifts that I normally get around 9-10 reps are suddenly difficult to get 5.

It's probably just fatigue from working so much and not getting a full nights sleep since a few days before PAX East, but losing that much in strength across all four lifts has me worried.

Nice man thats a low squat. You need to get a new phone though bro. Looks like your underwater in Rapture.

abuC

I'm not sure if I like the veins popping up between my chest and shoulder, looks like a spiders web under my skin. Especially since my right side seems to have more.

ACE 1991

Is there something wrong with my strength gains if I'm not adding 5lb every workout while doing Strong Lifts? for the past month or so I've been alternating between adding 5lb every workout and then every other workout.

blackflag

Is there something wrong with my strength gains if I'm not adding 5lb every workout while doing Strong Lifts? for the past month or so I've been alternating between adding 5lb every workout and then every other workout.

What are your lifts and what is your weight?

ACE 1991

Shit now I gotta do math

You should definitely still be able to progress. How much are you eating. Are you gaining weight?

I'm still definitely progressing, I just haven't been able to add weight workout to workout consistently for about a month... Half the time I am able to, and the other half it takes 2 workouts at the same weight to increase by 5lbs. I'm asking, since linear progression programs ask for weight increases workout to workout, whether or not this is a sign of something wrong or is just a case of the higher weights getting more difficult.

blackflag

I'm still definitely progressing, I just haven't been able to add weight workout to workout consistently for about a month... Half the time I am able to, and the other half it takes 2 workouts at the same weight to increase by 5lbs. I'm asking, since linear progression programs ask for weight increases workout to workout, whether or not this is a sign of something wrong or is just a case of the higher weights getting more difficult.

Most likely a little of both. I wouldn't worry too much yet and if I remember correctly you don't reset until your 3rd failure in a row. The easiest thing would be increase your calories by a few hundred unless you are trying to lose weight.

ACE 1991

Most likely a little of both. I wouldn't worry too much yet and if I remember correctly you don't reset until your 3rd failure in a row. The easiest thing would be increase your calories by a few hundred unless you are trying to lose weight.

Okay... I've started to put on a bit of a gut since bulking though. Such is the price you pay for bulking on a university meal plan.

hxa155

Don't bench with collars, or bench weight that high (where you can only get 2 or 3 reps) without a spotter.

I was supposed to get 5 reps with that weight. Two weeks ago, I managed to do it so i thought I dont need a spotter. But then I only got 3 reps.

It was a humbling experience that's for sure lol

sphinx

the piano man
what's up with the gloves bro

they match my black gucci purse beautifully!!

I'll get the Rippetoe quote ready.

:D

Nice man thats a low squat. You need to get a new phone though bro. Looks like your underwater in Rapture.

thanks, I like the ROM I have in that move. The phone camera isn't that bad, the pic is actually a capture from a check form video I never shared here... maybe should some day..

We've actually been over this in the last thread. Sphinx is a musician and doesn't want calluses.

wow, someone remembers! thanks :) but I think Kylej was on the "do as you please" side of the glove debate, most likely just wanted to use the Rippetoe meme.

not like gloves make a difference while squatting anyway

it really doesn't, in the other hand. everything that means hanging from a bar will get me a bit of calluses, even with gloves so there's no avoiding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom