• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
woo woo woo you know it

0920f5a7-82e0-4e2d-904a-a25438f71390_zps2ebc700e.jpg

Szu

5x Max handstand hold, rest 3 minutes in between:
1:20, 1:13, 1:08, 1:04, 1:01

1:20 is my new record; all attempts surpassing one minute is a record as well. Wrists, elbows, and shoulders felt good. Doing handstand push-ups on textbooks for increased range of motion is obviously helping. Handstand push-ups have felt faster. Combining handstand push-ups and regular push-ups has not required as much resting. Wrists can tolerate higher reps of HSPUs.

Feel like this right now:
urien-aegis.gif

I think this gif seems more accurate.
LynxTail.gif

balddemon

Banned
5x Max handstand hold, rest 3 minutes in between:
1:20, 1:13, 1:08, 1:04, 1:01

1:20 is my new record; all attempts surpassing one minute is a record as well. Wrists, elbows, and shoulders felt good. Doing handstand push-ups on textbooks for increased range of motion is obviously helping. Handstand push-ups have felt faster. Combining handstand push-ups and regular push-ups has not required as much resting. Wrists can tolerate higher reps of HSPUs.

Feel like this right now:
urien-aegis.gif
goddamn bro. mad props. my goal is to do a handstand for a minute, but I have no clue how to progress from wall stands to handstands.

f0nz0

I envy people with broad shoulders..for my height (6'3) my shoulders are pretty narrow..been trying to build up medial delt..but still the bone structure is not there..sucks!

Gee guys..thanks for the support >_<.
1) My chest is weak :( Next time I'll hit the bar and truly see how much I can bench..When I did the Incline today it was with free weights(I don't know the difference between a barbell andumbbell) so my motion was off a little. Tried correcting it the best I could.

2)The bicep curl was 30lbs in each hand so 60 lbs total. Started at 15lbs 3x5 and worked up to 30lbs. Felt proud of myself because I had been stuck at 25lbs for 2 weeks. Today something just kicked in and went for it.

Cudder

1) My chest is weak :( Next time I'll hit the bar and truly see how much I can bench..When I did the Incline today it was with free weights(I don't know the difference between a barbell andumbbell) so my motion was off a little. Tried correcting it the best I could.

2)The bicep curl was 30lbs in each hand so 60 lbs total. Started at 15lbs 3x5 and worked up to 30lbs. Felt proud of myself because I had been stuck at 25lbs for 2 weeks. Today something just kicked in and went for it.

you never combine the weight of the two dumbbells when you state what you lifted.

hxa155

I benched without a spotter today and I failed at the 3rd rep. So it fell on my chest and I couldnt roll it off. Luckily someone was nearby and rushed for help :/

Lesson learned.

grumble

Hey,

Congrats on the progress. Have you read the OP? You might find some useful information and links there for further reading. This hobby benefits from education, and you'll find your progress is accelerated by knocking back a couple of books.

lmpaler

Strong agreement. Fresh tuna, Ahi Tuna. Stuff is so good. Canned tuna....throw up.

Broccoli is delicious. I eat a lb a day. I don't even salt or pepper it. Just steam and eat...so good.

Extra virgin olive oil and roasted garlic or lemon dill is fantastic

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

You'll get there brother. You had us confused that's all - keep plugging away and the weight continues to move. Just don't stop brah, as you can see you're making progress so this ball won't stop rolling!

Hey,

Congrats on the progress. Have you read the OP? You might find some useful information and links there for further reading. This hobby benefits from education, and you'll find your progress is accelerated by knocking back a couple of books.
Yes I have. When I get paid on Monday, I'll be sure to check out a couple books. I just thought I was beating it up today then I find out nope..still weak..its aggravatin, also disheartening but I won't let it keep me down. I have a goal to meet and I won't stop till I get there.

Szu

Whew, that makes more sense.

You almost made it sound like you some kind of freakazoid with arms proportionally larger than the rest of his body.

LOL.....wait a minute.....

Whew, that makes more sense.

You almost made it sound like you some kind of freakazoid with arms proportionally larger than the rest of his body.

LOL.....wait a minute.....
Okay this made me laugh. I was joking with my fiance last night that my arms are gonna get so big they won't be able to go down and I won't be able to lift them above my head.

Don't worry man the strength with come. I didn't mean to harp on you I was just genuinely confused

That's not how I expected I wake up. Lol.

Anyway, lookin great a always Darth. That sure is a whole lot of quad work you do. It's no wonder they are so big. Are you still using they trainer?
I am not, stopped working with him in January. Not by choice either, he just stopped contacting me. What the hell? Never getting my business again.

Also I know I'm late as fuck,but FitGAFMan is the best thing ever.

blackflag

Got all my hormone testing results and cholesterol back today.

Cholesterol.....98 That's low, like too low. They retested it to verify because it was so low.

Total = 98
HDL = 56

How the shit do you raise cholesterol. Some of my other numbers were lol interesting but not in a bad way.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I benched without a spotter today and I failed at the 3rd rep. So it fell on my chest and I couldnt roll it off. Luckily someone was nearby and rushed for help :/

Lesson learned.

Don't bench with collars, or bench weight that high (where you can only get 2 or 3 reps) without a spotter.

sphinx

the piano man
Unrack a heavier weight than your 1rm. Hold it for a little bit, then rack it. Drop the weight down a little and now try and lift it. It will "feel" lighter.

having read this earlier today, I tried this today with the squats, loaded the bar, did as if I was going to do reps but just concentrated on feeling and "recognizing" the overload of weight on my back and did some motion, just getting the feel of it. Then brought down the weight to a more realistic level and it helped a lot!

THANKS!!! :D

Got all my hormone testing results and cholesterol back today.

Cholesterol.....98 That's low, like too low. They retested it to verify because it was so low.

Total = 98
HDL = 56

How the shit do you raise cholesterol. Some of my other numbers were lol interesting but not in a bad way.

hows your vitamin d?

blackflag

lookin joocy.

how do those BB.com hats fit? I almost bought that exact one when I placed my order a couple days ago, but bought the MP one instead because I think the logo is cooler (srs)

I'd rather have the MP one too but this was one of the free options when ordering from bodybuilding.com. I have a few now actually. They are flex fit. Fits my big head great.

Imm0rt4l

I am not, stopped working with him in January. Not by choice either, he just stopped contacting me. What the hell? Never getting my business again.

Also I know I'm late as fuck,but FitGAFMan is the best thing ever.
I'd look towards 3DMJ guys or John Otis Hollywood.

antipode

Dear Leg Day GAF:

I've been deadlifting once a week for the last 6 weeks and really enjoying it. One problem though - I am really struggling with my grip, and it's become worse as I've moved up to 325 pounds x 3 or so.

I've read that overhand grip is proper form, and I've tried to stick to that, but by the 2nd or 3rd set it is like Shadow of the Colossus with me and the bar. I switch to alternating grip for my final set and I am able to do quite a bit more weight.

Should I just switch to alternating grip all the time? Or deadlift more frequently?

blackflag

I guess it is time to start doing more dedicated arm work lol.

blackflag, you look like a beast yo.

I just started doing more arm work. before I as doing it once a week on 5/3/1 Shoulder day but for the last 2 weeks I've been curling 4 sets of 50lb db every time I go to the gym. Trying to see if that will help.

CrankyJay

Banned
Dear Leg Day GAF:

I've been deadlifting once a week for the last 6 weeks and really enjoying it. One problem though - I am really struggling with my grip, and it's become worse as I've moved up to 325 pounds x 3 or so.

I've read that overhand grip is proper form, and I've tried to stick to that, but by the 2nd or 3rd set it is like Shadow of the Colossus with me and the bar. I switch to alternating grip for my final set and I am able to do quite a bit more weight.

Should I just switch to alternating grip all the time? Or deadlift more frequently?

Go overhand until it starts slipping, and then switch to alternating. Hopefully over time your grip strength gets a little better. I don't see the big deal.

usea

Hey fitness people. Here's some stats:

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 159 lbs
Goal: Not sure. Eventually have larger and more-defined muscles?
Current Training Schedule: Haphazard bench press workout and bicycle sit-ups with no regular schedule and probably poor form.
Current Training Equipment Available: treadmill, exercise bike with moving arm things, free weights, an exercise ball, and a weight machine with plate weights in the middle and benchpress, butterfly thing and the bar you can pull down.
Comments: I'm an absolute beginner. No idea how to do proper workouts at all.

I've always been tall and skinny. In the past ~7 years my diet has been mostly fast food. I've never eaten well, but it didn't seem to matter outwardly. In the past year I've put on some weight and gained noticeable belly fat. I'm still skinny, but it's pretty obvious to me and my girlfriend that I have a bit of a gut now. Like most people I've tried starting workout regimens in the past and never stuck to them.

I started a diet almost a month ago (everybody said I was crazy and don't need to diet), and I've already lost almost 10 pounds. I'm not very strict about it, and I'm not counting my calories, but basically I cut out bread, fast food, sugar. I'm definitely running a calorie deficit right now, trying to get my body fat lower. (my super inaccurate bathroom scale says it's 17%). I'm still figuring out new things to incorporate but right now I'm super happy with it, and I don't see any reason why I won't continue with it (with improvements) from now on.

I want to add some workouts to my routine. Mostly I want some visible abs, and just in general to be less squishy and formless. I've been reading up, but I know I'm still clueless.

I think it will be a lot easier for me to stick to a workout routine if I have a set schedule and workout instead of just doing whatever strikes my fancy at the time. Also I think I'll be more successful initially if the workout is relatively short. I'm poor at managing my time (another thing I'm improving on), but I think spending 30 minutes a day in the gym from day-1 would kill my enthusiasm pretty quickly.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice on light-to-moderate beginner routines to start out with, plus any advice you guys have in general from my post. Like, should I still consume relatively few calories (probably ~1500 a day)? It's my understanding that I can do all the situps in the world, but I'll never have a defined midsection if I don't get rid of the fat. I realize that working out will probably up my calories burned in a day, but in my situation which is better? over or under?

Is this the kind of thread where people post pictures and progress reports? That might help me stay on top of it too.

Go overhand until it starts slipping, and then switch to alternating. Hopefully over time your grip strength gets a little better. I don't see the big deal.

Yeah I second this. Just go to failure before you switch. Your grip should start catching up.

Hey fitness people. Here's some stats:

Give the OP a thorough read its got you covered on most of your questions. Once your done with that come back here with any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom