• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

From my own experience, I'm still a novice though: first week will be the worst, but don't go astray. Stay persistent. Your body will adapt to the new rythm eventually after the first week has passed.

Remember to stick strictly to your timeplan. Don't allow yourself to break the fast, before time's up.

Diet is the key. If you're looking to lose weight, up your protein intake, lower the carb intake and fat intake.

Your fasting period sounds decent enough imo.

Also, there's a potential drawback you may want to be aware of: it will drain your energy effiecently. You might even feel kinda lightheaded, slightly unfocused and your concentration levels will drop noticebly.
Thanks. I actually want to gain weight still, but I'm okay with slow and steady if it means less fat gains.

I'm hoping that my coffee addiction (black of course) helps overcome the energy thing. I've never been big on breakfast though so the hardest part will actually be not eating after 8.

I'll stick with it as long as I still see gains.

SeanR1221

I forget the name of the channel but dude has recipes for every damned thing. It's on YouTube.

It's definitely true.

You're clearly doing a BB split by your description. I hope you're focusing on compound movements first. Don't let anyone sway you from machines. I've just now in my 4th year of training begun using machines when main and secondary work is done and oh lord I've been missing out.

I'll post more on that in a few months. I've actually begun making my own program off of other programs I've used/know of. Mostly based on iron sport method.

That protein chef dude? I know who you're
Talking about.

Anyone know what got sunflower banned?

No idea. Maybe console warz related.

sphinx

the piano man
fuck gyms in Mexico, the one I went to 6 months ago changed rules and I can't pay per visit. they say I have to buy membership, fuck that I am 2 months per year here, if at all.

I already found another one but damn, everywhere is damn expensive,

It wll be like 100 dls for the next 30 days whereas in Germany I pay 19 euros (26 dls) a month...so 3 times more to have access to a gym while I visit my parents... I just have to pay, I can not sit on the couch for a month or just do cardio and use the fucking pullup bar on the park.

In one year only? jelly.

In 9 months (started going to the gym in March). Still nowhere compared to what some people here are achieving!

I try to not compare myself to anyone but I always feel I am late to everything: volume, strength, dieting, knowledge, everything.

Everyone in my gym looks better than me, unless is it's a guy new to the gym then they look untrained but everyone else, either they have lean gains with abs or big volume with huge arms and legs. I've got neither so it pisses me off and then I start second guessing myself and trying to find excuses to explain to myself way I don't look as well: "they are 20, you are 35, give yourself a break, mama/wife cooks for them, you gotta do everything yourself.".. all bullshit, lol

Mik2121

I forget the name of the channel but dude has recipes for every damned thing. It's on YouTube.

It's definitely true.

You're clearly doing a BB split by your description. I hope you're focusing on compound movements first. Don't let anyone sway you from machines. I've just now in my 4th year of training begun using machines when main and secondary work is done and oh lord I've been missing out.

I'll post more on that in a few months. I've actually begun making my own program off of other programs I've used/know of. Mostly based on iron sport method.

I'm not sure I understand what BB split means but I believe that means doing several body parts training each day? I used to do that (had 3 "courses" and did one each day) but I changed my routine 3 weeks ago to a unique part of the body each day. I feel like I can concentrate on my training better this way (which is also helping me do more arms and back than before because each has it's own day).

As for the machines... when it comes to back, pecs and legs I do quite a few machines. Otherwise not so many... because there aren't that many in my gym!. But yeah, I don't just spend the whole day with the dumbbells and barbells.

Squats today didn't go too well. My lower-right back was super tight and it felt like I couldn't get any hip drive going on. Settled for 3x3 270 instead of 3x5.

I might have to buy a lacrosse ball to target this one specific area since my foam roller can't hit it too well.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
fuck gyms in Mexico, the one I went to 6 months ago changed rules and I can't pay per visit. they say I have to buy membership, fuck that I am 2 months per year here, if at all.

It wll be like 100 dls for the next 30 days whereas in Germany I pay 19 euros (26 dls) a month...so 3 times more to have access to a gym while I visit my parents... I just have to pay, I can not sit on the couch for a month or just do cardio and use the fucking pullup bar on the park.

I try to not compare myself to anyone but I always feel I am late to everything: volume, strength, dieting, knowledge, everything.

Everyone in my gym looks better than me, unless is it's a guy new to the gym then they look untrained but everyone else, either they have lean gains with abs or big volume with huge arms and legs. I've got neither so it pisses me off and then I start second guessing myself and trying to find excuses to explain to myself way I don't look as well: "they are 20, you are 35, give yourself a break, mama/wife cooks for them, you gotta do everything yourself.".. all bullshit, lol

Stop. I know it's only natural but you're gonna ruin yourself. The only thing you should be concerned about is if youre making progress and you are.

I'm not sure I understand what BB split means but I believe that means doing several body parts training each day? I used to do that (had 3 "courses" and did one each day) but I changed my routine 3 weeks ago to a unique part of the body each day. I feel like I can concentrate on my training better this way (which is also helping me do more arms and back than before because each has it's own day).

As for the machines... when it comes to back, pecs and legs I do quite a few machines. Otherwise not so many... because there aren't that many in my gym!. But yeah, I don't just spend the whole day with the dumbbells and barbells.

Splits are like bi/tri chest/shoulders etc. Which is what you're doing. I'm just saying I hope your focus at so early a stage is on heavy compound movements.

Perhaps you should post your routine?

As for machines I think you took what I was saying the wrong way. They should not be primary nor the dominant part of your work. But don't be afraid to use them. That's what I was saying.

Sunflower/Vince got banned for going too hard on gaming side regarding the XBone.

Makes sense. Yeah. Hopefully he's back soon.

Squats today didn't go too well. My lower-right back was super tight and it felt like I couldn't get any hip drive going on. Settled for 3x3 270 instead of 3x5.

I might have to buy a lacrosse ball to target this one specific area since my foam roller can't hit it too well.

I'd recommend strongly for one or a theracane. I really love my theracane.

Mik2121

Splits are like bi/tri chest/shoulders etc. Which is what you're doing. I'm just saying I hope your focus at so early a stage is on heavy compound movements.

Perhaps you should post your routine?

As for machines I think you took what I was saying the wrong way. They should not be primary nor the dominant part of your work. But don't be afraid to use them. That's what I was saying. .

Thanks for the explanation! I will post my routine I guess, since it's somewhat self-made and I would definitely like some suggestions and ways to improve it. As for the machines, yeah... I guess I misunderstood you! Woops!

I don't know how detailed should I go on my routine description, so hopefully this isn't too much (or too little) Also I'll try to put the weights of my last sessions. Dunno if I should write the reps, so instead I'll just put the kg and repeat the number by the amount of sets I did. The reps depend on the exercise but usually between 6 and 12.

- Day 1 // Biceps / Triceps Day
- - Dumbbell Curl (Warming up) 8, 8
- - Dumbbell Curl 10,12,14, 16 // 8reps with one set of 7kg in-between each.
- - EZ Bar (inner grip) 30, 30, 35 (10kg bar included)
- - EZ Bar (outer grip) 30, 30, 35 (10kg bar included)
- - Hammer Curl 12, 10, 8
- - Concentration Curls 16, 14, 12 (end up helping myself with my other arm to lift the weight up)

- - Dips with benches 4 reps, last two with 20kg barbell plate on top of my legs
- - EZ Bar Triceps Extension 20, 20, 20
- - Standing Barbell French Press 25, 25, 25
- - Triceps Pushdown 17.5, 17.5, 17.5
- - Tricep Dumbbell Kickback 10, 10, 10
- - Dips machine 3 sets (body weight)

... Yikes, writing all of this is taking some time remembering stuff. Is this too detailed? Basically Day 2 is Shoulders, Day 3 is Pecs, Day 4 is Back and Day 5 is Legs. I also do stomach on Day 2 and 4.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks for the explanation! I will post my routine I guess, since it's somewhat self-made and I would definitely like some suggestions and ways to improve it. As for the machines, yeah... I guess I misunderstood you! Woops!

I don't know how detailed should I go on my routine description, so hopefully this isn't too much (or too little) Also I'll try to put the weights of my last sessions. Dunno if I should write the reps, so instead I'll just put the kg and repeat the number by the amount of sets I did. The reps depend on the exercise but usually between 6 and 12.

- - Concentration Curls 16, 14, 12 (end up helping myself with my other arm to lift the weight up)

- - Dips with benches 4 reps, last two with 20kg barbell plate on top of my legs

... Yikes, writing all of this is taking some time remembering stuff. Is this too detailed? Basically Day 2 is Shoulders, Day 3 is Pecs, Day 4 is Back and Day 5 is Legs. I also do stomach on Day 2 and 4.
I don't really have much time but IMO your routine needs a major overhaul. I can put something together for you a little later if you like? However, being that you are relatively new to weight training I would study SS in the OP and give it a go for 6 or so months.

Question Fitness gurus in the house, would one month of hard work, proper eating show noticeable improvements in a month's time?, i want to bulk up, but i'm one of them hard gainer folks.

Cooter

Question Fitness gurus in the house, would one month of hard work, proper eating show noticeable improvements in a month's time?, i want to bulk up, but i'm one of them hard gainer folks.
Not really. Expect to gain 2lbs of muscle in a month at most. Weight training shouldn't be looked at in months but rather years. Assuming of course you go the natural route.

Not really. Expect to gain 2lbs of muscle in a month at most. Weight training shouldn't be looked at in months but rather years. Assuming of course you go the natural route.

Awww, i figured as much, thing is i'm on vacations, and i wanted to see if i could make some improvements before i go back to school, not that i don't train all year long, because i am an amateur boxer and i train 5 days a week... it's just that i wanted to also take the time this vacational period to try and gain some muscle mass.

Dem the breaks... well thanks a lot for answering, guess i'll be stuck @ featherweight for the time being.

Noema

I simply do not understand why gyms are so fucking expensive down here. If you are lucky, you'll be paying $35, at the very least, for a gym that may, or may not (most likely won't) have a squat rack.

To make matters worse, small, privately managed gyms are becoming increasingly rare, as big corporate chains like SmartFit are popping up everywhere. These chains do require an enrollment fee as well as the monthly fee, and of course, it's impossible to pay for just one session. And they barely have any free weights other than bench press. When they opened one in my area they basically scoffed when I asked if they had a squat rack. They only care about getting as much money in enrollment fees as possible, hoping that their patrons never show up or that they are too lazy to cancel their memberships.

I normally train at the university I work at, but I'm very lucky to have found a gym near my home that a) has a squat rack and b) lets me pay for individual visits for about US$3 c) no one complains about me deadlifting.

30 days is just too long of a break. You'll lose a ton of progress if you don't continue your training. You'll have to shell out the cash. Ni modo :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Glad I asked you to post. Get some tips from some of the BB oriented guys here. You could be a lot more efficient.

While not BB oriented (so much) cooter would be good to get advice from, especially since he's already offering.

You would probably be better served on a beginner routine though although i personally can't advocate that since I never did it.

I didn't even start a "real routine" until about 1.5-2 years of training.

Mik2121

I don't really have much time but IMO your routine needs a major overhaul. I can put something together for you a little later if you like? However, being that you are relatively new to weight training I would study SS in the OP and give it a go for 6 or so months.

Dang... :(
Is it so bad? It seemed to be working for me, but I'd definitely love to get something that works much better than that.

Sure, if you could put up something for me, that'd be great.

Basically all I've been doing until now is some 4 or so exercises per body part to hit all the muscles and go from heaviest to lightest and negatives at the end.

I checked the routines on Starting Strength and it seems to be putting everything together? I do most of that stuff (squats, deadlifts, etc..) on the legs days, back days, etc..

Glad I asked you to post. Get some tips from some of the BB oriented guys here. You could be a lot more efficient.

While not BB oriented (so much) cooter would be good to get advice from, especially since he's already offering.

You would probably be better served on a beginner routine though although i personally can't advocate that since I never did it.

I didn't even start a "real routine" until about 1.5-2 years of training.

Thanks for the reply. It seems my routine is quite bad, lol. I thought I was doing fine though... but it seems not!

One thing I wanna do is still go to the gym 5 times a week (that's what I do), so whatever might be best for that...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dang... :(
Is it so bad? It seemed to be working for me, but I'd definitely love to get something that works much better than that.

Sure, if you could put up something for me, that'd be great.

Basically all I've been doing until now is some 4 or so exercises per body part to hit all the muscles and go from heaviest to lightest and negatives at the end.

I checked the routines on Starting Strength and it seems to be putting everything together? I do most of that stuff (squats, deadlifts, etc..) on the legs days, back days, etc..

You're gonna do a lot better when you throw out everything you think you know and actually sit down and read real fitness, bodybuilding, powerlifting stuff.

You're already showing resistance.

Edit: 5 days a week is doable so is 4 or 3. You have to get out of th mindset you "have" to train a certain amout of days a week. It all depends in goals nutrition and sleep. 5 days a week and 1 million reps is all good so long as you can eat and sleep enough to support it.

I personally only "really" train 2-3 days a week and it definitely doesn't follow certain days. It happens when I go in. Days of the week don't matter.

PBY

Banned
perkyjerky.jpg

Best pre-workout snack. Tried it today and it was awesome, its like eating a redbull. And it tastes good.

Mik2121

You're gonna do a lot better when you throw out everything you think you know and actually sit down and read real fitness, bodybuilding, powerlifting stuff.

You're already showing resistance.

Ahhh... no no, sorry. That wasn't my intention. I thought I knew some bits from all the stuff I heard on my gym. I'm not saying that was the truth, but it seemed to be working and I didn't think much about it.

I did a lot of the compound stuff and more "general" training during my first half year at the gym and that's why I decided to change to training one part of the body each day. I will keep reading though.

I really appreciate your help, so sorry if I sounded like I wasn't taking you guys serious or anything like that.

(PS. English isn't my native language, so maybe I was expressing myself in a more defensive way than I wanted, it wasn't my intention)

Cooter

I'll PM you some info later. Be prepared to scale down your number of exercises and drop your reps. That's too much. Plan on starting with a higher number of reps with lower weight and finishing with lower reps and higher weight. Also, diet is more important than specific exercises when looking to transform your body. Be in touch.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ahhh... no no, sorry. That wasn't my intention. I thought I knew some bits from all the stuff I heard on my gym. I'm not saying that was the truth, but it seemed to be working and I didn't think much about it.

I did a lot of the compound stuff and more "general" training during my first half year at the gym and that's why I decided to change to training one part of the body each day. I will keep reading though.

I really appreciate your help, so sorry if I sounded like I wasn't taking you guys serious or anything like that.

(PS. English isn't my native language, so maybe I was expressing myself in a more defensive way than I wanted, it wasn't my intention)

You're fine man, no worries. Compound movements should be your bread and butter. If BB is your main goal that's fine but compound movements should be your main focus. After that focus on isolation stuff and individual muscles. But I'm no BB expert. BB focuses in muscles and my style of training (strength/powerlifting) focuses on movements.

Mik2121

I'll PM you some info later. Be prepared to scale down your number of exercises and drop your reps. That's too much. Plan on starting with a higher number of reps with lower weight and finishing with lower reps and higher weight. Also, diet is more important than specific exercises when looking to transform your body. Be in touch.
Thanks, and really appreciated. I will love to try whatever new routine it might become, tomorrow (today the gym is closed). I will admit one thing though... I always had this (unfounded?) impression that doing isolated stuff was more efficient than compound, which is one of the reasons why I changed my routine. But whatever helps me get stronger and bigger... that's good! Again, much appreciated!

You're fine man, no worries. Compound movements should be your bread and butter. If BB is your main goal that's fine but compound movements should be your main focus. After that focus on isolation stuff and individual muscles. But I'm no BB expert. BB focuses in muscles and my style of training (strength/powerlifting) focuses on movements.
Thank you too. I will check what Cooter tells me and try it starting this week :)
I'm also reading some bits about Starting Strength and also compound movements, but I'm at work so I'll read it later at home today.

Cooter

Thanks, and really appreciated. I will love to try whatever new routine it might become, tomorrow (today the gym is closed). I will admit one thing though... I always had this (unfounded?) impression that doing isolated stuff was more efficient than compound, which is one of the reasons why I changed my routine. But whatever helps me get stronger and bigger... that's good! Again, much appreciated!

Your impression was completely 100% wrong. Compounds are THE main focus of any effective routine. Accept and embrace it. Ok, I'll try and get you something soon.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
In 2OTs Mik is gonna be one of us going back and saying "oh man, what was I thinking."

Glad we got that out in the air. He's gonna be on a road to bigger gains.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I got me some protein powder the other day (whey protein), so I thought I'd also ask:

Creatine - yay or nay?

Mik2121

Thank guys :) I'm definitely looking forward to trying a new routine. I'll also try to take (just for myself, will post here maybe once every couple months) pics every month to compare.

I will also try to do the myfitnesspal app.. thing is, I eat a lot of home-made stuff and I don't really know how many proteins, carbs, etc.. is included in that. I definitely wanna check if I'm feeding myself correctly.

Regarding the MyFitnessPal app though.. how do you guys keep up with stuff like family gatherings where there's food everywhere and you are eating some things here and there..? You just eyeball it? Because I don't think I can do that... at least not with my current knowledge.

Onemic

Had technically my worst workout ever, but at the same time it was pretty satisfying.

Started by having to wait almost 30 minutes to use the squat rack because this idiot doing 5x5 on squats was taking 6-7min breaks in between sets even though he knew me and my bro were waiting. It's not even like it looked like he was trying to catch his breath and recover, he would just do his reps and then text and surf the web on his phone for the next 6 minutes. So, I finally got access to the rack and I decided to try to fix my squat from being more of a hybrid type squat(I always had the bar on my traps, but did a squat like a low-bar) to more of a proper low-bar type squat with the bar positioned closer to my rear delts. Needless to say, this threw my balance way off and I actually had to rebalance myself for one of the reps. I still managed to max out my 5x5 at 245,(I was expecting to go up to 250, but because I decided to change up my squat, I knew this wasn't gonna happen) but it definitely felt much harder than before.

On rows, it was the same deal. This time it was sorta unplanned though, after I finished my last set of squats, a random guy in his 40's that I've seen at the gym before wanted to work in and do a few squats before I moved on to rows. We started talking and he began giving me pointers. At first I didn't really wanna hear it because I thought he was some random dude, but after a bit I realized that he knew what he was talking about. Turns out he was once a manager of the gym and a professional sports and weight lifting trainer. He gave me tips on improving my rows, making me get a wider grip and increasing the angle at which I do the row to isolate the mid back and lats more. Once again, since I wasn't used to that way of doing the exercise, especially with my grip being much wider, I wasn't as comfortable doing the motions, but I still managed to get out my 5x5 at 165lb.

Got to the benchpress last, and just like the other two I did the exercise much differently than usual. Trying out some advice from Leroy Colbert on getting a deeper and more developed chest I decided to widen my grip as far as the grip inlays on the bar would allow. Of course, this destroyed my lifts and I couldn't even do close to completing my 5x5 on this one. I was only able to do 5/4/3/3/2 at 210 with a spotter, when before trying it with such a wide grip I was able to do 210 5x5, but I gotta say, I really felt it across my entire chest rather than before when the pump seemed to almost be coming more from my tricep than my chest.

Normally I do a few accessory stuff, but the dude in the beginning taking half and hour and me getting a ton of pointers from the trainer pushed my time in the gym to about ~2.5hrs, which I've never done before, so I just went home.

Cudder

So I got me some protein powder the other day (whey protein), so I thought I'd also ask:

Creatine - yay or nay?

nay. Creatine nearly destroyed my life. it took a while but I finally got off of it earlier this year. stay safe if you decide to use it.

Husker86

Holy shit. I know I broke the first rule and didn't read the specific details of SS but I didn't realize that the 3 sets of 5 were all supposed to be at the same weight.

I've always done a warmup set followed by 3 sets with increasing weight (and usually a last set that I can only rep twice).

I've made progress but now I'm thinking I should try 3x5 at same weight.

IceCold

Just had a heated discussion today with a friend who thought it was possible to gain 50lbs of muscles in a year natty. I also told him that most actors who train for movies like Thor or the Wolverine are juicing. But he wouldn't believe me. What do you guys think?

Cooter

Just had a heated discussion today with a friend who thought it was possible to gain 50lbs of muscles in a year natty. I also told him that most actors who train for movies like Thor or the Wolverine are juicing. But he wouldn't believe me. What do you guys think?
Your friend is misinformed.

J. Bravo

Played couple hours of ball after work. Not the best idea after an 8 hour shift on my feet and during pr week. Also still sore from squats on Saturday. So I'm in the hot tub right now. Feels so good.

despire

I can put something together for you a little later if you like?

Dude, hit me up with that routine as well. Not a noob on the subject matter but super interested to see how you would do it.

If it's not too much trouble that is :)

yogloo

So I have been reading up on all pro's beginner routine.
There's an exercise called stiff legged deadlift. Reading around more on it makes me even more confused. It seems that noone knows the differences between SLDL and romanian deadlift. I have been reading conflicting stuffs all around the net and it's a carnival out there. Can anyone explain the difference between SLDL and RDL? Which one is more dangerous?

Noema

So I have been reading up on all pro's beginner routine.
There's an exercise called stiff legged deadlift. Reading around more on it makes me even more confused. It seems that noone knows the differences between SLDL and romanian deadlift. I have been reading conflicting stuffs all around the net and it's a carnival out there. Can anyone explain the difference between SLDL and RDL? Which one is more dangerous?

With SLDLs every reps starts and ends on the floor. With RDLs the bar doesn't touch the floor; it's brought down past the knees and then back up.

Neither of them is for novices. They are both assistance exercises. Novices should focus on learning regular deadlifts with good form.

Holy shit. I know I broke the first rule and didn't read the specific details of SS but I didn't realize that the 3 sets of 5 were all supposed to be at the same weight.

I've always done a warmup set followed by 3 sets with increasing weight (and usually a last set that I can only rep twice).

I've made progress but now I'm thinking I should try 3x5 at same weight.

It's 3 sets of 5 across, meaning the same weight for all working sets, as you jus figured out. Also, in case you haven't been doing it, you are supposed to increase the weight on every lift every session, 5lb in bench press and OHP and 10lb on squats and deadlifts. If you can't do your 3 sets of 5 work sets then you are using too much weight. When doing deadlifts, just do 1 work set of 5 after warming up.

Thanks. I actually want to gain weight still, but I'm okay with slow and steady if it means less fat gains.

I'm hoping that my coffee addiction (black of course) helps overcome the energy thing. I've never been big on breakfast though so the hardest part will actually be not eating after 8.

I'll stick with it as long as I still see gains.

Coffee is completely fine while fasting, just be careful to not overdo it. Too much coffee, may release cortisol into your system which promotes fat storage rather than burning it.

Groof

I've been doing the beginner workout from the op for a bit longer than 6 months now, and I wanted to change things up a bit and was looking at the split routine in the same post. Do you guys wager that'd be a good idea?

I'm a believer of push/pull/legs. Going hard on calves and doing sets of db flat bench at 90-100 lbs. My mom commenting that "you have no neck" made my day. Let's go babyyyyyyyy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom