• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocobro

Yup, also interested. :)

I'd say a few of us would be interested.
Looks like it might be a good idea to have Cooter post the final routine when he's done. Do it Cooter!
So I have been reading up on all pro's beginner routine.
There's an exercise called stiff legged deadlift. Reading around more on it makes me even more confused. It seems that noone knows the differences between SLDL and romanian deadlift. I have been reading conflicting stuffs all around the net and it's a carnival out there. Can anyone explain the difference between SLDL and RDL? Which one is more dangerous?

Noema pretty much explained the difference but I thought I would post two YouTube links that shows the difference between the two. I have a better understanding when seeing things visually so I thought I would share.
CanditoTrainingHQ - Best Hamstring Exercise - Stiff Legged Deadlift
OmarIsuf - HOW TO Stiff Leg Deadlift (And Romanian Deadlift): Technique for Strength and Size

If you watch Candito's video, he tells you his opinion on the two. RDL is more dangerous because easier to hurt your lower back if you don't do it right and use weights that are too heavy. SLDL, you start at the very bottom and if the weights are too heavy, it just won't get off the ground.

abuC

LOL, I forgot my password and took a couple of days to get it right since the email associated with this is dead.

sphinx

the piano man
I simply do not understand why gyms are so fucking expensive down here. If you are lucky, you'll be paying $35, at the very least, for a gym that may, or may not (most likely won't) have a squat rack.

30 days is just too long of a break. You'll lose a ton of progress if you don't continue your training. You'll have to shell out the cash. Ni modo :(

it's terrible. in my case, I will never find anything under $1,100 pesos for the month I am staying here. As someone who has to pay per visit, I will just have to come to terms with that. I haven't been to this new gym, it's my dad's. It's called "bally fitness", pretty much a chain and very likely not very strength/BB oriented but I don't care I just need a place with free weights and a rack.

and yes, not training for 30 days is absolutely out of the question. I will pay up.

nay. Creatine nearly destroyed my life. it took a while but I finally got off of it earlier this year. stay safe if you decide to use it.

FUUUCK, turns out creatine bad? what happened to you???

I just bought a supplement in Germany with creatine, "Muskelleistung" means Muscle Performance and it's creatine with some other vitamins.

here two pics. it's in German but words are similar, "säure" means "acids". it says 4 pills contain 3 grams of creatine...

muskelleistung1_zps51bea5ee.jpg

muskelleistung2_zps440fd97c.jpg

should I stop using them? I used them twice already, only before heading to the gym.

a quick google search led me to this article... it really doesn't say bad things about it other than you'll get fat if you don't couple the intake with serious training.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/creatine-side-effects-what-it-what-it-does

don't know what to think,

Everyone's gonna be doing the cooter workout soon.

guys, bring the champagne, time to celebrate, were are getting cooter's gainz!! yaaaaayyy. lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Well ok then. Ha. I'll detail my routine to everyone who is interested. After work today when I get behind the laptop I will PM the interested parties. The overriding principal behind my philosophy on weight training is lift heavy with plenty of rest and proper nutrition. Shocker, I know.

Onemic

Thank guys :) I'm definitely looking forward to trying a new routine. I'll also try to take (just for myself, will post here maybe once every couple months) pics every month to compare.

I will also try to do the myfitnesspal app.. thing is, I eat a lot of home-made stuff and I don't really know how many proteins, carbs, etc.. is included in that. I definitely wanna check if I'm feeding myself correctly.

Regarding the MyFitnessPal app though.. how do you guys keep up with stuff like family gatherings where there's food everywhere and you are eating some things here and there..? You just eyeball it? Because I don't think I can do that... at least not with my current knowledge.

Everything I eat now is homemade. I simply eyeball it and take approximate portions of food.(ie I assume a scoop of rice is more or less equivalent to a cup)

My username there is Karsius if you want some gaf competition :p

it's terrible. in my case, I will never find anything under $1,100 pesos for the month I am staying here. As someone who has to pay per visit, I will just have to come to terms with that. I haven't been to this new gym, it's my dad's. It's called "bally fitness", pretty much a chain and very likely not very strength/BB oriented but I don't care I just need a place with free weights and a rack.

and yes, not training for 30 days is absolutely out of the question. I will pay up.

FUUUCK, turns out creatine bad? what happened to you???

I just bought a supplement in Germany with creatine, "Muskelleistung" means Muscle Performance and it's creatine with some other vitamins.

here two pics. it's in German but words are similar, "säure" means "acids". it says 4 pills contain 3 grams of creatine...

should I stop using them? I used them twice already, only before heading to the gym.

a quick google search led me to this article... it really doesn't say bad things about it other than you'll get fat if you don't couple the intake with serious training.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/creatine-side-effects-what-it-what-it-does

don't know what to think,

I don't like creatine simply because your size you gain is mainly dictated by the creatine. Once you get off it, you lose most of your size you had while on it.

Well ok then. Ha. I'll detail my routine to everyone who is interested. After work today when I get behind the laptop I will PM the interested parties. The overriding principal behind my philosophy on weight training is lift heavy with plenty of rest and proper nutrition. Shocker, I know.

well sign me up

sphinx

the piano man
I don't like creatine simply because your size you gain is mainly dictated by the creatine. Once you get off it, you lose most of your size you had while on it.

is this documented? This doesn't match with what I've read about creatine.

Creatine—typically bought in flavored powders and mixed with liquid—increases the body's ability to produce energy rapidly. With more energy, you can train harder and more often, producing faster results.

and that's about it.

what does producing energy more rapidly have to do with gains at all?

blackflag

Sounds like someone doesn't understand how fiber content is counted calorically and decided to file a lawsuit instead of research it. I noticed the calorie count was off long ago but then when I did some research you can see the count is right (if they are using the correct amount of fiber as stated on the package).

It looks like they are trying to say that isomalto-oligosaccharides aren't classified as fiber and shouldn't be counted as such. They are wrong.

Edit: quoted the wrong post but this is about the Quest lawsuit.

blackflag

and that's about it.

It doesn't but it does push more water into your muscles.....regardless of that it's not inhibiting your gains. It's helping them by allowing you to lift more.

What a ridiculous claim.

Onemic

and that's about it.

You look bigger when on creatine because your muscles retain and swell up with water. Once off it, the water is released and you don't look as big as when you were on it. It's why when you're on creatine you tend to gain a few pounds. You keep the gains though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sunflower is getting a Theracane for Xmas. Good looking out for his well being Brolic!

I found th combo of this post and you username hilarious. He's gonna love that theracane.

You look bigger when on creatine because your muscles retain and swell up with water. Once off it, the water is released and you don't look as big as when you were on it. It's why when you're on creatine you tend to gain a few pounds. You keep the gains though.

It's not hat big of a deal and the Creatine fears here were posted in jest. I had a post I was gonna make last night but decided against it.
I cannot believe I just submitted a research paper citing mark rippetoe. What am I doing with my life.

The right thing ;)

Onemic

It's not hat big of a deal and the Creatine fears here were posted in jest. I had a post I was gonna make last night but decided against it.

Oh, I know. It's just a personal thing for me. It'd be depressing to go on it and look bigger visually and then have my size go back down if I cycle off of it. At least at the point I'm at right now.

sphinx

the piano man
wait what? Are people being serious about creatine?

It doesn't but it does push more water into your muscles.....regardless of that it's not inhibiting your gains. It's helping them by allowing you to lift more.

What a ridiculous claim.

Sorry guys,

other than the info about retaining water, I don't follow.

@FE, what do you mean "being serious"? is creatine usage a myth/pointless? or you mean the claims about creatine being bad/dangerous/whatever are silly?

@Blackflag, what's the ridiculous claim? the line I quoted or what Onemic/Cudder said?

@Brolic, the claims in the last page looked serious.... I assume you mean it's not a big deal and Creatine is not a big deal?

sorry, I am slow today.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sorry guys,

@FE, what do you mean "being serious"? is creatine usage a myth/pointless? or you mean the claims about creatine being bad/dangerous/whatever are silly?

@Blackflag, what's the ridiculous claim? the line I quoted or what Onemic/Cudder said?

@Brolic, the claims in the last page looked serious.... I assume you mean it's not a big deal and Creatine is not a big deal?

sorry, I am slow today.

Creatine is safe and effective. It's the most researched supplement.

blackflag

Sorry guys,

sorry, I am slow today.

I meant Onemic's quote.

sphinx

the piano man
what did I say that was ridiculous exactly? I pretty much said what you said, except why I, personally, do not want to use it at this point in time.

Probably just a bad choice of words to say water retention will play a role regarding your looks.

you said that creatine dictates the size of your gains and that once you stop taking them you'll lose most of your size. that line can be understood like you mean taking creatine has some real influence in muscle growth, which is a ridiculous claim, according to studies on it..

Imm0rt4l

what did I say that was ridiculous exactly? I pretty much said what you said, except why I, personally, do not want to use it at this point in time.
Probably the part about size you gain being dictated by creatine. You're not going to gain substantial size or lose any size from cycling off. You can take it as you will or indefinitely. Your muscles as is are 80% water, you're not going to say lose an inch off your biceps. You may lose muscular endurance by not being on.

Which reminds me i keep forgetting to re-up on creatine

yogloo

Looks like it might be a good idea to have Cooter post the final routine when he's done. Do it Cooter!

Noema pretty much explained the difference but I thought I would post two YouTube links that shows the difference between the two. I have a better understanding when seeing things visually so I thought I would share.
CanditoTrainingHQ - Best Hamstring Exercise - Stiff Legged Deadlift
OmarIsuf - HOW TO Stiff Leg Deadlift (And Romanian Deadlift): Technique for Strength and Size

If you watch Candito's video, he tells you his opinion on the two. RDL is more dangerous because easier to hurt your lower back if you don't do it right and use weights that are too heavy. SLDL, you start at the very bottom and if the weights are too heavy, it just won't get off the ground.

Thank you!!! That was extremely helpful!!

I think you should get it on the OP. Everyone would love to know your secret sauce.

Onemic

Probably just a bad choice of words to say water retention will play a role regarding your looks.

you said that creatine dictates the size of your gains and that once you stop taking them you'll lose most of your size. that line can be understood like you mean taking creatine has some real influence in muscle growth, which is a ridiculous claim, according to studies on it..

Read my post again. I said nothing regarding gains in my post. All I said is that you will look bigger visually due to water retention. I did not equivocate size as gains in my post and if it can be inferred as such then my bad.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

This is what is completely false.

You're saying Creatine is the biggest contributor to size and any size gain you make while on it is lost when you get off of it.

You're essentially equating it to steroids.

The size gain from water is negligible and the "loss" is just as negligible.

Cudder

Sorry guys,

sorry, I am slow today.

g55rr.png

stay safe.

Onemic

This is what is completely false.

You're saying Creatine is the biggest contributor to size and any size gain you make while on it is lost when you get off of it.

You're essentially equating it to steroids.

The size gain from water is negligible and the "loss" is just as negligible.

bad choice of words then, my bad.

I was really talking exclusively about the last part of your post. The size gain from water. In my own and my brothers case, when we first started taking creatine about a year ago, after a few months our muscles did indeed look bigger. After going off of it about a month or so later they weren't as big anymore and specifically in the case of my brother(since he is the lean one) everyone thought he lost a ton of weight when in reality all he did was stop taking creatine.

EDIT: and before anyone takes this post out of context too, a ton of weight means something closer to 5-10lb

I was NOT equating it to steroids. I know it's safe.

SeanR1221

Read my post again. I said nothing regarding gains in my post. All I said is that you will look bigger visually due to water retention. I did not equivocate size as gains in my post and if it can be inferred as such then my bad.

I'm currently the biggest I've ever been and I've been really bad at remembering to take creatine lately.

Guess I look bigger off the stuff ;)

sphinx

the piano man
holy shit, what am I looking at.

it's like creatine will trigger some chemmical warfare in your body.

they forgot some donwsides:

.- it kills your dog
.- it will shit on your cereal every morning.

sorry cudder I am just joking, I am sorry you had a bad exeprience with it.

Cudder

holy shit, what am I looking at.

it's like creatine will trigger some chemmical warfare in your body.

they forgot some donwsides:

.- it kills your dog
.- it will shit on your cereal every morning.

sorry cudder I am just joking, I am sorry you had a bad exeprience with it.

On a cold Friday afternoon, I had come home from school. I had been thinking of the gym all day. I was hungry, didn't have any lunch. In fact, I didn't eat because I spent the money. For the past month I was saving up for something. Something special which I bought at GNC. I was surprised they didn't ask for ID; I was pretty sure the cashier noticed how nervous I was. Anyways, my mom asked my how my day was when I got home, but I ignored her. I have more important things to do. I run to the bathroom and unpack my bag. In my school bag is a white plastic bag from GNC. I open the bag, first removing the receipt and flushing it down the toilet to get rid of the evidence. My heart was racing now. I unpack the creatine monster from the bag.

I wonder what people will be asking me when they see that I will be 50lbs heavier. Should I say I was just eating a lot? I remove the label from the tub and tear it into a thousand small pieces. I flush that down the toilet, too. It is time now. I run up to my room when my mom ask me what I am holding. I panic, sweat drips down my forehead and my teeth chatter. "Mom, it's just for a school project". "What project?" "I don't know mom I just started it!". A tear runs down my cheek. I run upstairs and open the creatine, scooping upservings into a clear water bottle. What have I gotten myself into? I fill it with water and drink it. There is no turning back now. The creatine monster is inside me now, it will control me. What should I do if I die? I cant let my family know about this.

I open the creatine tub and throw it all out the window; a white cloud of mysterious dust sparkles into the wind so graciously. I feel the substance taking control of me; I am now the monster. I walk downstairs, its time to work out; time to get big. Now I worry, I don't want to get too big; people will think I use steroids. I do use steroids. No I don't. Creatine. All I see is the weights now, I am almost downstairs when I hear "Do you want a cookie I just baked". I know I do not have time for this **** now. "No mom I do not want a cookie" I walk in the basement and drop to my knees before the weights, tears running down my cheeks. I turn to the right and look at myself in the mirror. Oh god, what have I done?

Cooter

I think you should get it on the OP. Everyone would love to know your secret sauce.

:) There is no secret sauce. I have a routine that works for me and I never miss a day. If anything is the secret sauce it is dedication and understanding how to fuel your body. That being said, I think what I have stumbled on through years of trial and error and experience is pretty damn effective for naturals. My buddy does what I do and we are pretty much the only people in our gym who actually change our appearance based on our goals at the time.

Groof

I've been doing the beginner workout from the op for a bit longer than 6 months now, and I wanted to change things up a bit and was looking at the split routine in the same post. Do you guys wager that'd be a good idea?

Any ideas?

Groof

What are your numbers at? Why do you want to deviate from the routine?

Mostly because I felt like some change. Also I've seemingly plateaued in progress.
Friday's progress was something like this:
Squats: 65kg
Bench: 55kg
Deadlift: 70kg
Rows: 35kg

Groof

Help me understand then - are you doing...which workout in the OP are you doing? Are you doing SS? Because SS is gains gains gains until you fail everything forever, then it's time to switch.Which workout are you doing?

The full body one detailed in the OP. I'm guessing that's incorporating things from SS? I'm doing everything as stated in the OP though.

My college roommate pissed his bed twice in a single semester (he was totally sober both times) and blamed it on creatine. To this day he won't take the stuff and swears it made him piss his pants. His girlfriend was sleeping next to him one of those times. I still give him shit about it to this day.

On another note, I shoveled snow for about 8 hours between Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. That's what we call free conditioning, folks.

The full body one detailed in the OP. I'm guessing that's incorporating things from SS? I'm doing everything as stated in the OP though.

Ok, so you're doing that routine but not necessarily doing SS increases? Had you been increasing weight every workout? If you can't bump it up 5lbs and succeed then you may as well consider that failure.

A lot of people move on from SS to 5/3/1. I did it briefly but I think I did that shit wrong and wasted a month.

My college roommate pissed his bed twice in a single semester (he was totally sober both times) and blamed it on creatine. To this day he won't take the stuff and swears it made him piss his pants. His girlfriend was sleeping next to him one of those times. I still give him shit about it to this day.

On another note, I shoveled snow for about 8 hours between Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. That's what we call free conditioning, folks.

Man that sounds like a horrible fucking weekend, stay warm brah

velociraptor

I don't know what it is, but I seem to be going through a phase where I am lacking motivation to go to the gym. I have rarely skipped a workout this year. I've been fairly consistent - have trained 3 times a week most weeks in the past few months.

But... lately, I've been feeling 'weak' and find it difficult to focus when training. What should I do? D:

Szu

"Look like Cooter in these three easy workouts a week! Find out his secret for just 89.50!"

The first steps should sound something like this.

Step 1. Make a List for your respective PR's.

Example:
Deadlift - 405
Squat - 315
Bench - 200
OHP - 145

Step 2. Adjust using Cooter's patented weight realignment calculations. Basically, move the categories up one notch.

Deadlift
Squat - 405
Bench - 315
OHP - 200

Step 3. Subtract 100 lbs from the last number and add it to your squat number to get your deadlift number.

Deadlift - 505
Squat - 405
Bench - 315
OHP - 200

Step 4. Take the remaining 45 lbs, strap it on your ass, and do muscle ups.

That's the Cooter system!!

Guaranteed.

Cooter

I don't know what it is, but I seem to be going through a phase where I am lacking motivation to go to the gym. I have rarely skipped a workout this year. I've been fairly consistent - have trained 3 times a week most weeks in the past few months.

But... lately, I've been feeling 'weak' and find it difficult to focus when training. What should I do? D:
Set some short-term goals.

EDIT: You guys are killing me. Hahaha! Nice Szu.

Groof

Ok, so you're doing that routine but not necessarily doing SS increases? Had you been increasing weight every workout? If you can't bump it up 5lbs and succeed then you may as well consider that failure.

A lot of people move on from SS to 5/3/1. I did it briefly but I think I did that shit wrong and wasted a month.

Exactly. I've been trying to up the weights as often as I can, but I fall back to the previous weight all the time. I feel stuck. Guess I can consider that as progressive failures then, huh.
I'll try to stick to this routine til the end of the year then, trying to up the weights every workout, hopefully successfully this time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom